• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gamernyc78

Banned
.. meant the back -not good if you wanted to leave a charging cradle plugged in for instance

OH my pro has USB in the back. Weird shit is I've had this fucking issue with my pro where it doesn't charge using the front usbs but does on the back one.

I am sure Sony, Microsoft are working closely with developers to meet their needs and visions. They have stated that they are trying to eliminate bottle necks, ease development, etc. However, I cant help but feel & think that they are kind of low balling the specs a little for:

1) Costs
2) They have achieved a well rounded, well balanced effecient console with their own customizations eliminating disparities.
3) Laying the ground work for PS5 Pro or PS6 and XSexPro or XSex 2

Around 2024-2025 the following should be a new standard with affordability in production and purchasing:
- Zen5 5nm process
-Wifi 7
-RDNA 3 ?
-USB 4.0
-Newest Version of Bluetooth
-HDMI 3.0 or 2.2?
-GDDR6x or GDDR7 or HBM3 RAM
-Newer form of storage or newest SSD drive
-8K Ultra Blu-Ray Drive (Will we even need optical drives at that time?!)

Gamernyc78

Banned
So of the 12 tflops, quite a few of those would be occupied just pro essing lighting....?

I'm not a techy dude but thts what I gather. Idk but Sony sometimes creates diff chips to handle diff things and Cerny is a genius I wouldn't put it past them if thy created some type of seperate chip to offload or handle the RT.

vpance

It is already edge of tomorrow to me so when we will get new info?

First screenshot

nexusae0_Edge2-668x375.jpg

VFXVeteran

Banned
So, what I don't fully understand is... If Ray tracing is active will it be using a significant amount of the gpu or cpu? Or is it compartmentalised?

In the case of the X and what we k ow of the PS5.

RT will use a beast amount of GPU power. No CPU involvement. If the resolution goes higher, the cost of RT goes up dramatically. That's why no 2080Ti can sustain 4k/60fps with RT turned on.

I doubt we'll see a big amount of hardware RT on the consoles. At least not in the way Control is using all of the RTX features. But they don't really need it. Given limited compute power, I'd probably just use it for AO or shadows. If a company wants to use them all, then you are most certainly looking at sub-1080p renders and you are back to PS3 era.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
RT will use a beast amount of GPU power. No CPU involvement. If the resolution goes higher, the cost of RT goes up dramatically. That's why no 2080Ti can sustain 4k/60fps with RT turned on.

I doubt we'll see a big amount of hardware RT on the consoles. At least not in the way Control is using all of the RTX features. But they don't really need it. Given limited compute power, I'd probably just use it for AO or shadows. If a company wants to use them all, then you are most certainly looking at sub-1080p renders and you are back to PS3 era.
Unless more games give console gamers graphic vs performance options, I have a feeling all this RT stuff is going to lead to lots of 30 fps games.

Most current Xbox/PS4 games don't give the option.

Dabaus

Banned
Quick question, will anyone here really switch alliances because of a couple TF here or there? Say Sony bests Xbox by 25% even, given that the system design of Xbox seems more sound than last gen, do Xbox gamers really care? Same thing in reverse, I think Sony gamers are staying put regardless. I'm referring of course to the hard-core crowd that is entrenched to one side or the other already.

In what universe would a company bets its business, revenues, and profits backing the definitive loser of last generation to go exclusively with said loser simply because they have 2.5 teraflop difference of gpu power? That sounds genuinely insane.

I was referring to whatever the Sony/Nintendo stuff was that Osiris (I think it was Osiris) was hinting at. But I've heard of some MS ones too. Dunno about them getting SEGA; the Polish studio and/or Bethesda ones have been ones I've heard a lot of though.

Though IMO a moneyhat is just something on a game-by-game basis, not when a full studio's purchased. I.e Rise of the Tomb Raider was a moneyhat. Street Fighter V was a moneyhat. And so on...

Don't know a lot about Zen 2 capabilities when it comes to power modes, myself, but given PS5 and XSX will be using mobile versions of the chips (most likely), that'll already give them a lower TDP than the desktop variants.

So maybe a low-power mode isn't infeasible (I would think chips aimed at mobile products would need functionality similar to it built in and supported).

I guess...but it seems HIGHLY unlikely. GTA6 is such an established multiplatform series; there's zero way Sony or Microsoft could cover the costs in a deal with Rockstar to make up for lost sales on the rival platform (and ecosystem). Could see one of them getting favored marketing and exclusive DLC content at launch, however.

Second time asking, What rumors have you "heard?"

VFXVeteran

Banned
Unless more games give console gamers graphic vs performance options, I have a feeling all this RT stuff is going to lead to lots of 30 fps games.

Most current Xbox/PS4 games don't give the option.
Oh for sure. It's just the question of whether it will look right @ sub 1080p or a blurry mess. You almost require the target resolution to be reasonably high in order to get any differences with resorting to that kind of render. It does no good for you to be looking at a game that's using all the latest features but the pixels are so big that you can't see the fine details.

Nickolaidas

In what universe would a company bets its business, revenues, and profits backing the definitive loser of last generation to go exclusively with said loser simply because they have 2.5 teraflop difference of gpu power? That sounds genuinely insane.

And yet, numerous studios now work exclusively for the definitive loser. Funny that.

Oh for sure. It's just the question of whether it will look right @ sub 1080p or a blurry mess. You almost require the target resolution to be reasonably high in order to get any differences with resorting to that kind of render. It does no good for you to be looking at a game that's using all the latest features but the pixels are so big that you can't see the fine details.
Iirc, Cerny had said 10 Tf as a minimum for 4K.

What is the minimum for 4K and RT. And in combination with what they hope to do with PSVR2?

Edit: Lovely Gaffers pointed out Cerny said 8, not 10

Last edited:

CyberPanda

Banned
Wait till Ampere comes out. It will pull further ahead.

ANIMAL1975

Here's the code to crank Insane Metal Insane Metal
General Ford’s skinner cage

And some of the best trys, you welcome

Maybe he’s referring to this?
Alright is this a glitch in the system or did I just decipher some of it? When I click on his name to take me to his post, it takes me to this post from 2011.

It's the post I made with the Christmas Story gifs. Click on his name from my post to see if it works on your end.

Time travel = backwards compatibility from ps1 to ps4 confirmed
After all, what Tom Cruise was doing was indeed a form of time travel. He kept going back in time, coming back to life after he died. That could be it cracked? Time travel related? Backwards Compatibility?

And Skinner Cage, the person who invented that was Burrhus Frederic Skinner, born March 20th. Could March 20th be when Sony is going to reveal this news and the PS5?
I'm going to attempt to communicate with CBOAT.

@ Dabaus Dabaus I was just asking a question to gamers, those that have likely already made up their mind about things, which will be many because millions of these units will go out day 1. It's not 100m to nothing, people buy the "loser" too.

STEaMkb

I hope CBOAT drops a bomb. I want to see the REE mods struggle to control that discussion. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

yapm9h5.jpg

I love how various forum members once painted EviLore as some kind of Sony agent because he met Adam Boyes years before he joined PlayStation.

While this moderator pictured above (Judge) is a documented Microsoft shill who is regularly photographed beside senior Xbox staff including Phil Spencer and receives yearly invites to Xbox campus for "bonding sessions". Together with 4 other Era moderators who are Xbox Ambassadors ("promoting the brand you love") who all ban PlayStation forum members at the drop of a hat.

devilNprada

Just played through the Last of Us this weekend for the first time (Was free on PS+).
Pretty good free game at 4 tflops.

Anyone poo pooing the next gen for 9.2 tflops seems a bit crazy to me.

My question (or thought) is though... Can we have 2 primary consoles (1) last gen and (1) next gen which are backwards compatible, so theoretically four people can play each other using one copy of Monster hunter?

Edit: Maybe only three people?

Last edited:

Korzonek

Neo Member
Last edited:

R600

Banned

Hmm so 8 core 16 thread Zen2 in notebooks also have 1/4th of L3 cache as Flute benchmark (8MB). This chip is also clocked slightly higher then console one and quite a performer!

Note that this is 15W - 25W CPU, so console ones might be under 20W!

Reindeer

Is techpowerup in any way reliable?
SFV already has offline team battle matches (3vs3, each one of these 3 controlled by a separate player), and there is a new SFV online tournament mode in beta that features 1vs1, 2vs2 or 3vs3 teams and is very likely to be released next month. As he says, SFL already has 3vs3 battles. And SFL is the least favorite SFV event, people from FGC thinks that SF should be 1vs1. During 2020 we'll also have SFV in the Intel World Open, an eSport tournament tied to the Tokyo 2020 olympics, which is also 3vs3 (so 6 players) battles in SFV.

Basically what he heard is not about SFVI: it's upcoming or already existing SFV stuff.

Yoshinori Ono said a couple of months ago at BGS and EGX QA panels and in a post EGX interview with EG to "don't hold your breath about SFVI". He said they won't start developing it until at least a year or two from now (and this is if lucky), because they want to see the next gen consoles and games released to see what new stuff they offer and to design the next game from scratch around it. He also said that they plan to keep supporting SFV for a while before they move to SFVI, that SFV is only entering its 5th year (season), and that they supported SFIV during 8 years (he counted them as "seasons").

My theory:
According to Ono's words, sounds that they will keep supporting SFV until aprox. 2022/2023 and SFVI would be released in aprox. 2023.

PS5 seems it's going to be released on November 2020, that would be almost exactly 7 years after PS4 release, which was released almost exactly 7 years after PS3.

SFIV was released 2 years and 3 months after PS3 release. SFV was released almost exactly 7 years later, 2 years and 3 months after PS4 release. If SFVI gets released 7 years later, 2 years and 3 months after PS5 release then SFVI would be released in February 2023.

Some people think SFVI will be released in 2021 because they changed one of the rules of Capcom Cup 2020: its winner won't be qualified for Capcom Cup 2021, something that happened all previous years with the only exception of the year they released SFV. But hey, this doesn't mean a shit compared to Ono's word specially considering that they already changed a lot of other things related to Capcom Pro Tour 2020 and Capcom Cup 2020 qualification rules.

Now that I saw all this 3vs3 thing, I thought that maybe what they plan to do is to make Capcom Cup 2021 a 3vs3 team battle event, something that would create riots in the FGC because Capcom Cup is supposed to be to know who is the best player of the year. It would be ok to add a 3vs3 tournament to Capcom Cup and Capcom Pro Tour, but not replacing the 1vs1 tournaments.

I predict now that PS5 will sell over 100M consoles and will dominate the generation again. Even if it has 7tf.

Xbox One X had more teraflops, and still flopped compared to PS sales. Seems that having an extra of horsepower compared to direct competition is a selling point but not the most important one. I think games library and price are the key ones. So if PS5 has a decent price, a great library with BC, great exclusives and continues getting a great support from the key third party AAA and indies nothing will stop it.

In addition to this, PS is the clear market leader of VR, game subscription and streaming. Just by making the logical next gen updates (seems they are working on them according to rumor, leaks, patents or official announcements) and not making huge mistakes like the ones they did with PS3 launch they will continue dominating these markets too even if it's just due to their existing library and userbase.

General Ford = shortest US presidency for any president who did not die in office
Skinner cage = known as Skinner box = SK box = X box

So this next gen Xbox will be the xbox with the shorter lifetime cycle. Xbox dead on arrival, MS doomed, they shut down the Xbox division and go 3rd party confirmed. And Zynga hires Phil Spencer.
Iirc, Cerny had said 10 Tf as a minimum for 4K.

What is the minimum for 4K and RT. And in combination with what they hope to do with PSVR2?
He said 8 tflops and that was in regards to this gen, the games next gen will obviously require more than that due to increased graphical fidelity.

Last edited:

Hmm so 8 core 16 thread Zen2 in notebooks also have 1/4th of L3 cache as Flute benchmark (8MB). This chip is also clocked slightly higher then console one and quite a performer!

Note that this is 15W - 25W CPU, so console ones might be under 20W!

That's pretty awesome, going by the numbers the SC performance is almost on par with a 3600X. Not too bad.

Last edited:

Gediminas

Banned
I love how various forum members once painted EviLore as some kind of Sony agent because he met Adam Boyes years before he joined PlayStation.

While this moderator pictured above (Judge) is a documented Microsoft shill who is regularly photographed beside senior Xbox staff including Phil Spencer and receives yearly invites to Xbox campus for "bonding sessions". Together with 4 other Era moderators who are Xbox Ambassadors ("promoting the brand you love") who all ban PlayStation forum members at the drop of a hat.
the same is at N4G, moderators xbox fanboys banning people for stating the facts, delusional xbox members are promoted and so on... the grass is not greener in others places too...

i am waiting CES 2020 maybe we get more news about PS5, because these rumors gets boring fast..

ethomaz

Banned
So Forza 8 at premiere. Seems completely predictable considering how Turn10 guys skipped a year.
Common buttgod. You can do more than that.
I'm pretty sure he is referencing the movie Edge of Tomorrow.
The three names are characters of the movie.

General Brigham
Ford
Skinner

Major William Cage

Of course I can be wrong but I think it is a tease for tomorrow (today).
He will release the bombs today.

Last edited:

Reindeer

the same is at N4G, moderators xbox fanboys banning people for stating the facts, delusional xbox members are promoted and so on... the grass is not greener in others places too...

i am waiting CES 2020 maybe we get more news about PS5, because these rumors gets boring fast..
Not sure about the mods, but I always got an impression that ERA was full of PS fanboys.

RookX22

Just played through the Last of Us this weekend for the first time (Was free on PS+).
Pretty good free game at 4 tflops.

Anyone poo pooing the next gen for 9.2 tflops seems a bit crazy to me.
I know what you mean and that's a remastered PS3 game, I just played Infamous Second Son a second year game looks so good and plays pretty well on performance mode on PS4 Pro. Can't wait for the PS5.

Last edited:

Dontero

Banned
Uh, how did you get that? Can you elaborate?

CBOAT is MS leaker not Sony so don't expect anything from him about Sony.

General Motors
Ford
Skinner
cage = Skinner box

They will change Forza 8 into free to play game or something where you have base cars and you buy cars you want with real money. Business wise it makes a lot of sense if Xbox3 won't be console but ecosystem which includes phone games.

IT makes a lot more sense that Edge of Tommorow whic his nishe movie that didn't do well. It makes 0 sense to make game about it other than some small pet project.

Last edited:
CBOAT is MS leaker not Sony so don't expect anything from him about Sony.

General Motors
Ford
Skinner
cage = Skinner box

They will change Forza 8 into free to play game or something where you have base cars and you buy cars you want with real money.
Business wise it makes a lot of sense if Xbox3 won't be console but ecosystem which includes phone games.
So it'll become a microtransaction platform? Not sure of the benefits tbh

Dontero

Banned
So it'll become a microtransaction platform? Not sure of the benefits tbh

who said that CBOAT leaks only positive things ? CBOAT is known mainly because he leaked every shitty MS policy they had in store for gamers, when people went to E3 they were already sharpening knives and MS delivered coup de grace confirming everything people heard was right.

Make no mistake. CBOAT is partially responsible for ruining MS dominance coming from X360 era. If it was announced without leak it would be exactly like PS4 announced paid online, people would be too focused on something else and MS would have plenty of time to dillute message to make it look like nothing is wrong and they would have plenty of fanboys behind them same way few moths after that announcement there were still people believing how good digital only console would be and how used games in MS way would be better for everyone.

There is an easy solution for this. Give the player options. 1440p or some lower resolution with ray tracing active, full 4k or slightly lower resolution with none. This way games that want to do ray tracing can both provide it as an option for people who want to experience that while also ensuring people who don't care and want to game at highest possible resolution can do so.

who said that CBOAT leaks only positive things ? CBOAT is known mainly because he leaked every shitty MS policy they had in store for gamers, when people went to E3 they were already sharpening knives and MS delivered coup de grace confirming everything people heard was right.

Make no mistake. CBOAT is partially responsible for ruining MS dominance coming from X360 era. If it was announced without leak it would be exactly like PS4 announced paid online, people would be too focused on something else and MS would have plenty of time to dillute message to make it look like nothing is wrong and they would have plenty of fanboys behind them same way few moths after that announcement there were still people believing how good digital only console would be and how used games in MS way would be better for everyone.
Hopefully people keep in mind that CBOAT may never say anything. And if CBOAT does then the discussion turns to waiting to see if CBOAT is right.

For all we know CBOAT could be simply trolling us. Hopefully not. But its the journey, not necessarily just the destination that is enjoyable.

dolabla

Never forget just what a massive disaster the Xbox One was in its early days. It was basically hard to find any positivity of note. I mean this guy was the head.

They've come a long way since then and won me back over (I'm super excited about the Series X). But the thing started out as a major disaster led by disastrous leadership.

Gamernyc78

Banned

Ps4 paid online was leaked way before their presentation. Xbox 360 domininance? Dominance is hyperbole, that was Sony's fault coming out over a year later at hundreds more and even with tht PS3 outsold xbox360 world wide almost every month upon its release so there was no dominance. PS4 was going to dominate regardless as it released at the same time and price was great even if it was more it still would gave dominated looking at ps3 history. Cboat leaked important info but only enthusiasts were affected by tht and Xbox switched gears anyway. The messaging was messed up but it was Microsoft tht caused fans to stay away not a Cboat.

Last edited:
Is techpowerup in any way reliable?

They're a database for GPU and CPU (but mainly GPU) specifications. None of the GPUs in their database have wrong information, but we can also deduce they are using the Github and various corroborated YT vids/articles/people for the info. So it's about as correct given what they are going off of.

That said we can already assume certain things are too low; I don't see PS5 having only 12GB of GDDR6 RAM for example. Also they have XSX GPU listed as RDNA2, when in reality it's probably mostly RDNA1 with some RDNA2 features pulled from the roadmap (such as ray-tracing). Sony's already said their system has ray-tracing on the GPU so it could be a similar RDNA1/2 mix, but there's also now rumors they have a custom RT implementation (that somehow is integrated into the GPU through work with AMD if it's to be believed).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom