• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.
ps5-dualshock-control-7f98b.png

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
The dualshock 5 looks really more large than ds4.
Lets hope for a better battery.

A better battery was actually one of the main bullet points Cerny mentioned in a follow up Wired article. They admitted to that shortcoming and wanted to make sure to address it.

How much better remains to be seen.

DJ12

Just connected a few dots in my head about RT. I think it's pretty obvious that the demo Sony did of ft sports running at 8k with ray tracing is actually an indication of the ray tracing capabilities of the ps5.

The tech demoed was Sony tech. I imagine this is included in the ps5.

Be interesting to find out if this was a Collab with amd and therefore what's in rdna 2 or if the ms solution is rdna 2.

If they can get some sort of initiative going for Gyro aiming and/or if the touchpad is better, maybe we'll finally have a good controller for playing point and click games.

NAVI cards, 5700 and 5700 xt are 36 and 40 Dual Compute Units cards. That doesn't make them 72 and 80 cu cards.

Cerny rolls onto the stage in a hot tub, shirtless. On the edge of the tub is an odd shaped item covered with a cloth. Cerny pulls off the cloth and says "the fastest console ever is here". He picks it up, and with his signature smirk, lowers himself and the console beneath the foamy surface. He emerges, glistening. In a soothing voice he says "it's water cooled". As he stands up, a towel is wrapped around his waist. He turns and starts walking away. The towel drops. "$299" tattooed on his arse.

9. something TFLOPS it is then. Fuck I psyched myself out. But wait, Cerny then turns into a werefolf revealing BEAST MODE PS5. Bwhaahahahaha.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Guys, ignore that rumor. I uhh... "Shamelessly" created it on pastebin back in June to test how real some insiders were and how media outlets would report on it. BastienTech on Twitter put it on Twitter and it spread like wildfire on Reddit and elsewhere. There was an influx of pastebins back then too. Just rubbish everywhere.

Basically it proved to me you can't trust just anyone. Anyone takes any rumor and runs with it for the clicks, attention etc.
lol

I don't think you telling us it was a troll post for kicks makes a difference.

The double gpu talk caught on.

• Triggered
Reactions: TLZ

xool

Honestly I feel this is a controlled leak.

Someone knew what kind of a buzz this would create and should have given us a few quality shots of the controller even the back of it.

Is that the actual new DS5 then ?

Not impressed with the updated design -- it looks, how can I say, "middle aged", like the previous one, but starting to spread a bit, extra lumps etc ..

MoreJRPG

Suffers from extreme PDS
A better battery was actually one of the main bullet points Cerny mentioned in a follow up Wired article. They admitted to that shortcoming and wanted to make sure to address it.

How much better remains to be seen.

Hopefully pro controller like but I imagine that useless light bar is a huge drain.

xool

Well if there's no lightbar it should automatically increase battery life in at least 50%.
It wasn’t that much of a drain, lol.
Yes it was. I've seen tests made by users. That thing sucks.

Let's just necro the old thread

XDDbNfS.png

It more than doubles current draw and more than halfs battery life (note -this was before they patched dimming)

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Liking this mockup I found.

1_Is-THIS-what-the-PlayStation-5-will-look-like-Concept-images-reveal-a-stunning-design-for-Sonys-ne.jpg
Not bad. The grey matte finish seems off though.

The artists forgot to put something in there to give everyone a sense of scale.

On the top left side of the console, see that tiny little square?

What he forgot to tell is that the PS5 controller is the size of that square. And the console still sounds like a 747.

Last edited:

Tiago07

Twas the night before CES and all through the house...

Not a creature was stirring except a cleaner at Ubisoft that didn't want anyone else to share what he openly posted to a Facebook group with a really crappy job at concealing his name.
I think the same, the situation seems too convenient

If Sony were targeting 9.2ish TFlops they would be far better off with something like 2x Navi 14. 44CUs at 1.7Ghz will be far more efficient than 36CUs at 2Ghz.

I just don't believe in 2GHz unless RDNA2 has some changes to help it clock higher and if that is the case everything changes anyway.
The talk is that Sony was originally going to launch in 2019 with a 8.x tflops machine. They decided against it and have tried to ramp up the power by increasing clock speeds.
I dont know if its true or not, but that's what has been said.

I'm sure that when we were all waiting on the PS4 we were quite certain Sony were going to do something at CES.

And then ... nothing.

I'm going to bet we don't hear anything about the PS5 until March/April time.

And if I'm wrong, I'll owe you guys a Coke.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom