• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

quest

Not Banned from OT
So if Xbox die is only 400mm, how are they fitting 12 tflops, zen2 and RT on it?
Its 150mm bigger than than the 5700xt. If they are cutting 3/4 of the cache of the zen 2 processors it won't take up much room. I also think RT will take up less die space than people think. Since it is in the TMUs it saves die space not having separate cache for the intersection and traversal engines. Then the rest is just tweaked CUs I doubt adds a ton of die space. It is close but with bigger clocks in the 1700 range 12-13tf is doable.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
Prior to the AMD leaks, these forums and gaming circles were all buzzing about how Sony was gonna be 13tflops, and MS was less powerful. It was all blue skies for Sony. All the questions were about MS.
If you honestly think the AMD leaks hasn't totally flipped the PS5 narrative on these forums then you havent been reading them.
It has had an effect, and not a good one. If Sony could click their fingers and make that AMD leak disappear, do you think they would be clicking their fingers?
AMD leak? There is nothing about the power of the console except a vague claim from Phil.

archy121

I would not be surprised if sony were targeting a lower spec ps5 to have a lower entry price as Nintendo have pretty much been leading the way in showing you don't need an expensive showcase machine to wipe the floor with the competition

My thinking too.

If things do turn out to be 9 vs 12 TF than this would definitely be the sound strategy to take.

Maybe a price undercut of around $100 ($350 vs $450) combined with Sony’s renowned gaming studios is what it will take for the masses to make the PS5 number one console.

Not a bad strategy at all. We know from past that you can’t exceed the sweet price point however good your hardware is. The masses don’t have pockets deep as the the hardcore enthusiasts.

Last edited:
Lol you sure about that? I think Times running out brother
Bro why would you invite hostile attitude toward yourself by antagonizing other posters with your last post(not this one , the one before it) ? If MS is stronger great but if it’s not then u literally inviting people to attack you . That’s not a great thing imo. Let it go and enjoy the feeling . Unless you enjoy antagonizing others then in that case more power to you 😂

Bro why would you invite hostile attitude toward yourself by antagonizing other posters with your last post(not this one , the one before it) ? If MS is stronger great but if it’s not then u literally inviting people to attack you . That’s not a great thing imo. Let it go and enjoy the feeling . Unless you enjoy antagonizing others then in that case more power to you 😂
I guess its only ok to tell me things like you will see. One thing i been has always been consistent on this. Power matters, Xbox wont be slightly less powerful. Its not about me antagonizing others, just responding to those that claimed id be shut up . It continues. Feb next up .

Last edited:

Reindeer

Its 150mm bigger than than the 5700xt. If they are cutting 3/4 of the cache of the zen 2 processors it won't take up much room. I also think RT will take up less die space than people think. Since it is in the TMUs it saves die space not having separate cache for the intersection and traversal engines. Then the rest is just tweaked CUs I doubt adds a ton of die space. It is close but with bigger clocks in the 1700 range 12-13tf is doable.
5700 XT has a die size of 251mm with 40 CUs, you would be at around 350 if you add additional 16 CUs. That leaves you with just enough space for Zen2 cores. Unless they are manufacturing on N7+ I'm not seeing how they getting RT on that thing.

Last edited:
Seems I missed quite a bit, If you think there is that much of a difference in these machines power then you're going to be disappointed. They are both very close and Neither is under 10. I will stand on what I said they are both very competitive and the difference is minimal. You have a month a week and a few days until its official.
But everyone knows that tho, everybody knows that sony gonna make some sort of even to announce the ps5 like they did with the ps4 in february, what did you bring to the table ?
It's like saying after the PS5 SONY gonna release the PS6... you are ridiculous, you might fool some thirsty people but others knows your fake, keep on the vague posts.
Nothing has changed. Heard they would show something and they did. No idea what it would be but after (whoever that was said full spec reveal) I allowed myself to get excited. I only expected at least a controller and a spreadsheet. Got a spreadsheet no controller no specs ..... Nothing that is new to anybody outside of the Logo which has been mocked to look exactly like that for months.
LOL, yeah guys it was a change of plans from Sony excuse.

ethomaz

Banned
But everyone knows that tho, everybody knows that sony gonna make some sort of even to announce the ps5 like they did with the ps4 in february, what did you bring to the table ?
It's like saying after the PS5 SONY gonna release the PS6... you are ridiculous, you might fool some thirsty people but others knows your fake, keep on the vague posts.

LOL, yeah guys it was a change of plans from Sony excuse.
What are you talking about? Change?

I guess its only ok to tell me things like you will see. One thing i been has always been consistent on this. Power matters, Xbox wont be slightly less powerful. Its not about me antagonizing others, just responding to those that claimed id be shut up . It continues. Feb next up .
No you are allowed to be happy . Hell as gamers we should all be happy we are getting a monster Xbox series x . I was just pointing out the way you gloat will bring negative people towards you. Anyways hope you enjoy the power crown 👑😜🙏 . I think this confirmation is what you are looking for and by giving that to you , you might have some inner peace . Enjoy it bro.whoever says power is not important is bullshitting . It matters but the degree is different from one person to another.

Jim is cowardly.

I have not seen SCE this scared and evasive.
Like 3d audio being first on the diagram, is that your performance lead?
Ultra bluray? Xbox1 already did it.
A refreshed logo?

I bet Sony wanted to have some power talks, but pulled out as they feared MS retaliation which makes them look bad

What manner of fanboy nonsense is this?
Sony if anything, have all the cards. They're the incumbent platform leader. They have an insanely powerful brand identity. They are under no obligation to release information to appease idiots online. They can, should and likely will release information on their terms.

@SenjutsuSage you went all crazy today with conspiracy that sony doesn't have hardware RT and got Perma banned in the other site. was it worth it ?
especially when sony will talk about in feb meeting.come on man .some common sense would have been enough to not do those things. expected better from you man.

Not when you act like a raging fanboy, it makes you look stupid.

I remember years ago on GAF this guy shilled so hard for Ryse that someone from MS or Crytek gave him a free Xbox One.

Imagine shilling so hard for one of the worst launch titles you've never played that some executive felt sorry for you enough to give you a free console.

My apologies for continuing the meta posting....back to next gen speculation! :messenger_smirking:

Last edited:
What are you talking about? Change?
Just exposing him, he predict something gonna happen because he heard it from sources then... it doesn't happen, oh well guys it's last minute change of plans sony pulled the plug...
the same technic fake insiders use for thirsty people.

joe_zazen

I think Microsoft is doing really well creating hype, but to claim Sony are underdog or are on backfooot is ludicrous and laughable.

true but, it is no longer 2013.

Sony is cheap AF when it comes to gaming. they have made enormous profits from playstation over the last 6 years, enough to put the company on sound financial footing for the first time since 2006. Yet, if you look at their financials, the amount if reinvestment has been tiny. Their studios, while quality, are all run on a shoestring with small teams relative to other AAA. Game production has not increased in terms of number of games and has actually gone down, as has game diversity.

This was fine when the competition for gaming customers consisted of wiiu, kinnectimals, and Steam. Entering 2020, we have a much fiercer gaming landscape.

If Sony had been investing in gaming they way they have been investing in other segments of their businesses over the last five years, I would feel much better about where they will end up at the end of this gen. Instead, gaming has been the cash cow they have been exploiting. They have pumped billions into new hollywood and music investments, the same cannot be said for gaming.

you will see this at ps5 reveal. There will be no surprises as far as content goes, and for a company that has made record profits from their console division, that is inexcusable.

seeing sony at #3 in 2027 would not surprise me at all.

I remember years ago on GAF this guy shilled so hard for Ryse that someone from MS or Crytek gave him a free Xbox One.

Imagine shilling so hard for one of the worst launch titles you've never played that some executive felt sorry for you enough to give you a free console.

My apologies for continuing the meta posting....back to next gen speculation! :messenger_smirking:
Don’t twist it though. It’s ok for him to love Xbox . That’s his preference and should be respected . But creating lies based on his own feeling should be avoided at the face of confirmation from Sony on multiple occasion. That’s what I had issues with . Not his preference for Xbox. We are all gamers and we all have our preference👍

Airbus Jr

Banned
true but, it is no longer 2013.

Sony is cheap AF when it comes to gaming. they have made enormous profits from playstation over the last 6 years, enough to put the company on sound financial footing for the first time since 2006. Yet, if you look at their financials, the amount if reinvestment has been tiny. Their studios, while quality, are all run on a shoestring with small teams relative to other AAA. Game production has not increased in terms of number of games and has actually gone down, as has game diversity.

This was fine when the competition for gaming customers consisted of wiiu, kinnectimals, and Steam. Entering 2020, we have a much fiercer gaming landscape.

If Sony had been investing in gaming they way they have been investing in other segments of their businesses over the last five years, I would feel much better about where they will end up at the end of this gen. Instead, gaming has been the cash cow they have been exploiting. They have pumped billions into new hollywood and music investments, the same cannot be said for gaming.

you will see this at ps5 reveal. There will be no surprises as far as content goes, and for a company that has made record profits from their console division, that is inexcusable.

seeing sony at #3 in 2027 would not surprise me at all.

Said a guy who vote nextgen console (ps5 and series x) will only sport 5,8 teraflops knowing that even Xbox One X itself which came out in 2017 are already at 6 teraflops

All your credibility just get thrown out of the window with that statement

Last edited:
I'm confident everyone will have plenty of surprises. Sony had a 13TF dev kit last summer and had no problem getting the news out there, they wouldn't put themselves in a position to miss their target so badly. That could be dangerous even in their position.

Remember MS is only marketing the new X as the most powerful Xbox (and hasn't mentioned TF at all), I'm sure they are happy with the performance level they have hit.

Last edited:

Reindeer

I'm confident everyone will have plenty of surprises. Sony had a 13TF dev kit last summer and had no problem getting the news out there, they wouldn't put themselves in a position to miss their target so badly. That could be dangerous even in their position.

Remember MS is only marketing the new X as the most powerful Xbox, I'm sure they are happy with the performance level they have hit.
At that die size they shouldn't be hitting anything below 11 tflops, they'll have plenty power even if they don't hit 12 tflops.

Last edited:
Don’t twist it though. It’s ok for him to love Xbox . That’s his preference and should be respected . But creating lies based on his own feeling should be avoided at the face of confirmation from Sony on multiple occasion. That’s what I had issues with . Not his preference for Xbox. We are all gamers and we all have our preference👍

There is preference and straight up weird meta astroturfing attempts. Imagine someone in 2014 going on with endless paragraphs on how amazing Knack's mechanics were (or whatever shit launch title you can use as an example) and at the same time mentioning couldn't afford a PS4?

Seems like the same type of person who would go on endless paragraphs of consipiracy theories about the lack of a next gen feature confirmed by the CEO and Chief Architect of said next gen console

Last edited:

GermanZepp

This basically sums up they got nothing and probably won't go much into the performance as it's not going to push above xbox performance.

3D audio is pointless, haptic triggers is pointless, utltra high speed ssd, so does xbox, haradware based raytracing, yea if you got a GPU u can raytrace so also means nothing, ultra hd blu-ray, guess for the 3 people that care.

Dude, seriously?

giphy.gif

Reindeer

There is preference and straight up weird meta astroturfing attempts. Imagine someone in 2014 going on with endless paragraphs on how amazing Knack's mechanics were and at the same time mentioning couldn't afford a PS4?

Seems like the same person who would go on endless paragraphs of consipiracy theories about the lack of a next gen feature confirmed by the CEO and Chief Architect of said next gen console
You can't hate someone for liking a specific game, even if you think that game is mediocre. Liking a game is based on subjectivity and one cannot apply a universal rule in this regard.

Reindeer

One caveat, we don't know how much more thicc an RDNA 2 CU is, and also the RT implementation.
It we assume that they're only hitting 12 tflops GCN then they would have additional 100mm on that die, you don't need that much for RT. That die is targeting no less than 11 tflops, I'm pretty sure on that.

Last edited:
You can't hate someone for liking a specific game, even if you think that game is mediocre. Liking a game is based on subjectivity and one cannot apply a universal rule in this regard.

You can't like or dislike a game you have never played....can't believe what I'm saying is that hard to comprehend

Last edited:
You can like a specific genre and the game could appeal to you from gameplay online, that's also not that hard to imagine.

Read my previous posts...that's not what I was describing.....no company is just going to give you a free console because you express that some gameplay from a game appeals to you. Try it out, see if it works for you.

Last edited:

Reindeer

Read my previous posts...that's not what I was describing.....no company is just going to give you a free console because you express that some gameplay from a game appeals to you. Try it out, see if it works for you.
Actually kudos to him for getting a free console. I'm not gonna hate on someone for begging for a brand new console online.

MadAnon

so we are looking at 56 with 4 probably switched off for yields. 52 at 1700 Mhz or 1800? which one gives us 12 tf?
This is more than enough for 60 with 4 deactivated matching the Arden 56 number. CPU cache probably isn't cut down either. That's why it is so big.

Last edited:
one thing is weird. MS now has final chip delivered from AMD for XSX (from the pictures) and yet sony doesnt have that even though they started the development of PS5 2 years ahead of MS. Why is that?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom