• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-gen Racing Graphics Face-off | (Next-gen means current-gen)

Nemesisuuu

Game has some serious glitches, example - imagine after mandatory pit stops you see this monstrosity pass you by, they stay ghosts like in pit.

swySxY4.png

FukuDaruma

Finally played the game couple hours so now i had a good look at the graphics. There are lots of good things to say but there ae also some bad things. Lets start with the bad things. i played it maxed out on pc btw.

The bad
- IQ is not so clean, im not sure if they use the latest DLSS2. There are trails and rough edges on track objects when in motion.
- RT reflections are quarter rez, even on pc maxed out which is a shame since pc has always potential to have better hardware later on. So why limit it for the pc players. Also they can look a bit fuzzy in heavy motion. And semi glossy surface don't have RT reflections.
- Where is the motion blur in the cockpit view.
- RTAO is bugged right now, it doesn't work at night
- Circuit lights don't create self shadows on cars during night. They do however create self shadows in the cockpit which is nice.
- Some track textures like grass and mud are a bit lower quality on some tracks.
- Cockpit rain effects are improved but still not on the level of modded AC or DC.

The good
- The lighting is soo good, dynamic lighting at this quality is just chef kiss. RTAO really helps to ground everything, it looks also top notch in the cockpit. Youtubers and reviewers have really fucked up there footage.
- RT reflections add alot during chase cam and cockpit view, even if its not perfect as mentioned. Cars with shiney interiors have amazing self reflections that reflect everyhting perfectly accurate especially at night. During chase cam it looks really good when you are in a large grid and the all the car reflect of each other which look good. And the way the car reflects itself makes everything more grounded. And the cubemaps on pc also look really good on cars, one of the better ones.
- The track side detail are the best out there, there is soo much stuf going on and it all looks good. There is even parallax occlusion mapping on track surfaces which looks amazing and adds lots of depth.
- Best foliage and trees out of any sim, it looks soo good. The way it reacts to light and wind which animates soo good. There are also soo much different looking trees which looks incredible.
- Spectators are fully 3d and full animated which looks great during races on oval tracks. They make some smoke and confetti show which give them more depth.
- Most textures are improved and they are more realistic and accurate to track its based on.
- The material shaders are soo much improved its literally one of the best i have seen. Every material is high quality and has a unique look. And this time there is lots of more variations in different materials. Also the car paint shaders are finally up there with the best. And the way they rendered there headlights and brake lights are finally on GT level on most cars.
- Weather effects are improved and they have lots of high quality effects like the spray and track surfaces. The volumetric lights really blend well with the weather effects.
- Car models have been improved, they have more detail and better shaders which look incredible during gameplay.
- Smoke effects are also improved, they are really high quality and volumetric which reacts light and shadows.
- Sense of speed, i was like gaddamn when i first drove a fast car. This is the first sim that gave me this feeling of speed.
- The motion blur in 3d person is really high quality.
- Replays are also improved drastically, more depth of field and cinematic camera angles.

Great first impressions. Are the mirrors really that horrible like that video from yesterday? all aliased, low res and ghosting madly.

Is it true there is no TAA like in FH5? only DLSS2 and DLAA? have you tried swapping the DLSS .dll with a different version to see if there are less artifacts/ghosting?

Is the AI really that mind-bogglingly bad that can't even avoid crashing right into your ass when you are stopped?

Last edited:

Emet_bp

- The material shaders are soo much improved its literally one of the best i have seen. Every material is high quality and has a unique look. And this time there is lots of more variations in different materials. Also the car paint shaders are finally up there with the best. And the way they rendered there headlights and brake lights are finally on GT level on most cars
I can generall agree on most of the things you have said but.... deffinitely not this.
Headlights and taillights are a lot better than before on most of the cars, but no, they are not on the GT level. Not even close. It's just they don't look like crap anymore. At least unltil they are turned on, because then headlights still use flat bright texture, like in PS2 times.

Sebmugi

Can you post some examples please of cars not being truly integrated into environments?

(Side note - seriously looking forward to your upcoming FM photos in the console screenshot thread)

it is by seeing the static (this is less the case in motion) XSX screens of djjinx2' with the gray GT3 or also on PC those of Turk', notamment on its first screen and also with the M3 e46 .. I do not know but there is something that bothers me, the paintings of the cars do not react as they should. for my eyes in any case.. ^^ I promise I'll go and see the little details of the cars and the environments ;)

Last edited:

Sebmugi

I have the DC feels with this game, can you relate at all? Good sense of speed, great weather effects, audio is standout for me (good headset with atmos). Not trying to start a comparison at all, just this game grabs me like DC and no other racer has done that since! I was even on the PSU Driveclub team with Insane Metal and a couple of others here IIRC.

To stay on topic here's a pic..

8wSQ5Tw.jpeg

o9heXlz.jpeg

Little vid of the night/rain effects

A DC feeling, I can't wait to test that then... For the weather effects I bet that DC is still ahead, especially regarding the interior view in the pouring rain or the snow at night (at least no problem with road reflections)
thank you for your captures

Darsxx82

Finally played the game couple hours so now i had a good look at the graphics. There are lots of good things to say but there ae also some bad things. Lets start with the bad things. i played it maxed out on pc btw.

The bad
- IQ is not so clean, im not sure if they use the latest DLSS2. There are trails and rough edges on track objects when in motion.
- RT reflections are quarter rez, even on pc maxed out which is a shame since pc has always potential to have better hardware later on. So why limit it for the pc players. Also they can look a bit fuzzy in heavy motion. And semi glossy surface don't have RT reflections.
- Where is the motion blur in the cockpit view.
- RTAO is bugged right now, it doesn't work at night
- Circuit lights don't create self shadows on cars during night. They do however create self shadows in the cockpit which is nice.
- Some track textures like grass and mud are a bit lower quality on some tracks.
- Cockpit rain effects are improved but still not on the level of modded AC or DC.

The good
- The lighting is soo good, dynamic lighting at this quality is just chef kiss. RTAO really helps to ground everything, it looks also top notch in the cockpit. Youtubers and reviewers have really fucked up there footage.
- RT reflections add alot during chase cam and cockpit view, even if its not perfect as mentioned. Cars with shiney interiors have amazing self reflections that reflect everyhting perfectly accurate especially at night. During chase cam it looks really good when you are in a large grid and the all the car reflect of each other which look good. And the way the car reflects itself makes everything more grounded. And the cubemaps on pc also look really good on cars, one of the better ones.
- The track side detail are the best out there, there is soo much stuf going on and it all looks good. There is even parallax occlusion mapping on track surfaces which looks amazing and adds lots of depth.
- Best foliage and trees out of any sim, it looks soo good. The way it reacts to light and wind which animates soo good. There are also soo much different looking trees which looks incredible.
- Spectators are fully 3d and full animated which looks great during races on oval tracks. They make some smoke and confetti show which give them more depth.
- Most textures are improved and they are more realistic and accurate to track its based on.
- The material shaders are soo much improved its literally one of the best i have seen. Every material is high quality and has a unique look. And this time there is lots of more variations in different materials. Also the car paint shaders are finally up there with the best. And the way they rendered there headlights and brake lights are finally on GT level on most cars.
- Weather effects are improved and they have lots of high quality effects like the spray and track surfaces. The volumetric lights really blend well with the weather effects.
- Car models have been improved, they have more detail and better shaders which look incredible during gameplay.
- Smoke effects are also improved, they are really high quality and volumetric which reacts light and shadows.
- Sense of speed, i was like gaddamn when i first drove a fast car. This is the first sim that gave me this feeling of speed.
- The motion blur in 3d person is really high quality.
- Replays are also improved drastically, more depth of field and cinematic camera angles.

Here are some screen i took during my gameplay

Forza-Motorsport-5-10-2023-2-27-48.jpg

Forza-Motorsport-5-10-2023-2-31-23.jpg

Forza-Motorsport-5-10-2023-3-40-19.jpg

Forza-Motorsport-5-10-2023-3-41-36.jpg

Forza-Motorsport-5-10-2023-3-03-42.jpg

Forza-Motorsport-5-10-2023-2-59-59.jpg

Forza-Motorsport-5-10-2023-1-59-55.jpg

Forza-Motorsport-5-10-2023-2-05-45.jpg

Forza-Motorsport-5-10-2023-3-43-49.jpg

Forza-Motorsport-5-10-2023-3-39-11.jpg

Very good impressions.

It is a good visual detail and worthy of technological praise that they have implemented POM on surfaces. Perhaps a legacy from Forza Horizon.
Other details that I am pleased to see and read are the work on the headlights and brake lights appearance of the lights (which I believe is also a legacy of FH) and the improvement of the replays (they are not of the excellence of GT but they are already notable and respectable).

But in general, what is surprising me the most is the work in general lighting and the sensation of volume of the light in the circuits that (even though it may seem tiring) is also an inheritance from FH.
Played couple hours on Series X. Game looks great but only on tracks where the GAMMA is set correctly. Now, why is it sometimes correct and others not? My fear is that in daytime, foggy conditions, this is just how things will look. I hope it's just a bug though.

Image quality could be better in terms of shimmering in the rt performance mode though its not terrible or anything just distracting. I think that yes, it is the more impressive game than gt7 but gt7 is more refined and clean. Hope they can clean things up.

Make sure you are not suffering from the bug that specifically causes this. If you change visual mode you have to restart the console or the bug will be activated.

Turk1993

GAFs #1 source for car graphic comparisons
Great first impressions. Are the mirrors really that horrible like that video from yesterday? all aliased, low res and ghosting madly.
no, on pc they look good.

Is it true there is no TAA like in FH5? only DLSS2 and DLAA? have you tried swapping the DLSS .dll with a different version to see if there are less artifacts/ghosting?
Yes, there is no TAA option, only DLSS and DLAA. And no i didn't change the .dll file yet but its clearly using the older version.

Is the AI really that mind-bogglingly bad that can't even avoid crashing right into your ass when you are stopped?
I didn't stop fully to test this on track, but if you put the ai at lower difficulty then they hit you more often. At max difficulty they are much much better but harder to race. The first 3 to 4 cars are really too good too catch up most of the time which is fine. They are also aware of you if you go closer to them in a corner or before, they move a bit on the other side. But its not perfect ofcourse, its all track to track based.

I can generall agree on most of the things you have said but.... deffinitely not this.
Headlights and taillights are a lot better than before on most of the cars, but no, they are not on the GT level. Not even close. It's just they don't look like crap anymore. At least unltil they are turned on, because then headlights still use flat bright texture, like in PS2 times.
I didn't mean the headlight illumination, im talking about the headlight/backlight modeling and the glass shaders. In Headlight illumination GT is the benchmark, the way they render the light inside the light is insane.

Forza-Motorsport-4-10-2023-15-33-38.png

You remember the ugly 190E that was in the early trailers that people mocked. Look how it looks in the final game
Forza-Motorsport-4-10-2023-14-30-56.jpg

vs

forza-motorsport-63d262329f313.jpg

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
image.png

image.png

Those RT reflections in the trailer were a total scam...
its crazy that they couldnt get this working even on PC.

the game seems to be heavily CPU bound and they didnt bother updating their engine to take advantage of multithreading after a 6 year hiatus. they clearly didnt realize that RT has a huge performance cost on CPU and had to take out RTGI and reduce reflections to a shadow of what they used to be.

i really hope PD engineers take this extra time and really figure out how to utilize all 16 threads because the ps5 will have the same issues the game is having on PC and XSX when trying to run these RT effects. they are coming at too high of a cost.

Turk1993

image.png

image.png

Those RT reflections in the trailer were a total scam...
Yeah i was disappointed when i saw that the RT reflections where quarter rez in the pc version. Like why did they not allow the full res reflections, even if it tanks the fps it doesn't mather. There will be always more powerfull hardware later so then we can enjoy it at its fullest.

the game seems to be heavily CPU bound and they didnt bother updating their engine to take advantage of multithreading after a 6 year hiatus. they clearly didnt realize that RT has a huge performance cost on CPU and had to take out RTGI and reduce reflections to a shadow of what they used to be.

i really hope PD engineers take this extra time and really figure out how to utilize all 16 threads because the ps5 will have the same issues the game is having on PC and XSX when trying to run these RT effects. they are coming at too high of a cost.
Its not only CPU bound, shit like DLSS doesn't even work properly sometimes and there are random lags. The game is buggy, i hope they planned some day 1 update. At the moment there are too many bugs for my liking.

diffusionx

Gold Member
Just for reference, the time between this new Forza and Forza 7 is the same as the time between the first Forza game on Xbox and Forza 4. Think about the gap in content, graphics, technology, features, everything between those two. I really expected a much more buttoned up, consistent game. This one somehow has all the hallmarks of the usual 2-year dev cycle of the old games, yet it took 3x as long. What the hell was Turn 10 doing all this time?

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Yeah i was disappointed when i saw that the RT reflections where quarter rez in the pc version. Like why did they not allow the full res reflections, even if it tanks the fps it doesn't mather. There will be always more powerfull hardware later so then we can enjoy it at its fullest.
if i had to guess they didnt want the bad press starfield got. especially when PC gamers turned on Todd Howard for saying upgrade your 4 tflops 1060 you cheap cunts. the game is cpu bound and everyone seems to have bought crappy zen 2 and zen 3 CPUs that are not aging well especially in RT games.
Its not only CPU bound, shit like DLSS doesn't even work properly sometimes and there are random lags. The game is buggy, i hope they planned some day 1 update. At the moment there are too many bugs for my liking.
I just saw that. absolutely nuts that this is happening after a year long delay. same as starfield and redfall. MS needs to stop porting games to PC on day one. they are stretching their teams thin. I was trashing Horizon FW for its poor performance mode at launch that took 4 months to fix, but compared to these releases, HFW, GT7, GOW, zelda ToTk and FF16 have been really polished. One sku (or two console SKUs for xbox) seems to be the way to go.

honestly, i dont mind waiting a few more months for the PC version if it means fucking HDR on day one, working dlss and proper RT features. I was going to sub to gamepass next week for this game but if dlss isnt working then i wont bother. not playing this game in internal 1440p with that TAA.

SlimySnake

This is brutal. Downgrade galore from 2:30 onwards. Wtf happened to the lighting? At first i thought he had the wrong time of day but the shadows looked the same then he did the time of day change and its clear that there was a huge downgrade.

I’m so sick of false advertising. At least get this looking good on PC.

Last edited:
Just for reference, the time between this new Forza and Forza 7 is the same as the time between the first Forza game on Xbox and Forza 4. Think about the gap in content, graphics, technology, features, everything between those two. I really expected a much more buttoned up, consistent game. This one somehow has all the hallmarks of the usual 2-year dev cycle of the old games, yet it took 3x as long. What the hell was Turn 10 doing all this time?

Not just Turn 10 but another huge L for Microsoft. Between this and Starfield, Microsoft should've been back with a capital B by now. Two more games I thought were going to guaranteed knock your socks off goof but nope.

I feel you though. That same feeling like "what gives with devs these days" is how I've felt this gen with the consoles having such little results for the big advances in tech. How does Modern Warfare 2 on PS5 look worse than MW1 on xbox One X? Why does LoU1 remake look the same as LoU2? Why isn't Forza knocking it out of the park?

This is brutal. Downgrade galore from 2:30 onwards. Wtf happened to the lighting? At first i thought he had the wrong time of day but the shadows looked the same then he did the time of day change and its clear that there was a huge downgrade.

These companies are shameful

Turk1993

It the RTGI, you can see it in the trees the way the light is bouncing the color in the shadows.
rEA6h0C.jpg

24 cars on track is quite the feat. You imagine how expensive that quality of Raytraced reflections would be?

Surfheart

SX version looks soft and a bit fuzzy especially road and trackside textures in the mid to far distance. Lots of shimmer on fences and such. Kinda underwhelmed to be honest.

Last edited:

sendit

Also here the crowd on forza don't even casts shadows

Aggressive LOD will do this.

Also here trees yeah on GT may not be fully 3d but are nicer to the view when racing thanks to the better lighting

Agreed. GT7 foliage has more depth. Even the track side grass is more abundant in GT7. But who pays attention to this in a closed circuit racing game. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:
Aggressive LOD will do this.

Agreed. GT7 foliage has more depth. Even the track side grass is more abundant in GT7. But who pays attention to this in a closed circuit racing game. :messenger_tears_of_joy:
That's why i said they look nicer when you are in a middle of a race thanks to the lighting, obviously no body gives a sh*t about close up tree detail in these kind of games but is the general impact that matters. That's why i hope PD stick with ths technique for the trees also on GT8 (maybe they can make them a little more dynamic adding a little bit of movement to the foliage when it is windy),they look good enought and are less impactful on the resources which they can use for more important stuff

Last edited:

Connxtion

This thread is gonna get crazy all over again... 🤣

Seen this as a gif doing the rounds, but looks like Forzas effects are glitched (this is meant to be on XSX, so am assuming a glitch). This comparing it is a bit misleading. (It’s still not better than Driveclub 😂, but still)

There are also other videos at night in the rain, that look a lot better than the above video, but those look totally different from the comparison.

skyfinch

Never played Driveclub, but every video I've seen of it looks stunning. So what the hell happened here? It actually looks ugly in this comparison. Was it captured wrong?

Turk1993

Never played Driveclub, but every video I've seen of it looks stunning. So what the hell happened here? It actually looks ugly in this comparison. Was it captured wrong?

DC is a game that can look very ugly and very good at the same time. Its all tod and weather depended. And its not ugly, its just showing its age where games newer games like FM and GT7 clearly look better most of the time. But they still lack the rain effects compared to DC, thats still the best in class for a unmodded game.

Me : Mom I want next gen racing game graphics :

qrK6x1.png

Mom : We have next gen racing game graphics at home :

qrKT2k.png
In this shot the reflections have higher quality lod surprisingly in the final build, look at the lod in the reflection on the back wheels. Even the tree reflections are the same but look worse because the trees got downgraded. And the headlights are also upgraded with better shaders and textures. But almost anything else is downgraded.

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<

They do not whatsoever curate the lightning, its all based on (continuously changing) time of day and weather settings (some randomness applied). So the same track can look PS2 levels of bad, while on other ToD settings or weather conditions it looks great. When the stars align it looks almost "next-gen".

Last edited:
Top Bottom