• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-gen Racing Graphics Face-off | (Next-gen means current-gen)

shandy706

But mowing down corn crops with million dollar supercars is next gen. PCars, GT and other track racing titles are now obsolete.

All of those games are as legit as the other.

These responses are as bad as or worse than the people you are responding too. Also, the guy you and schenmu are responding to, said absolutely nothing about something being obsolete. He thinks another game competes in some areas, stop taking it so personal.

Um... now you're saying you were actually referring to something specific. Now it just sounds like you're backtracking :/ You made clear broad statements:

"shadows actually never look like that. only shadows from the car are soft."

Implying that all shadows should look like the one underneath the car when 1. shadows underneath the car are affected by motion blur and 2. shadows in real life CAN look like the ones that you highlighted in that particular screenshot. Here I whipped up a collage of real-world examples just for you:

" it would be funny if it actually is using PCF"

You didn't say PS3-style there and correct me if I'm wrong but even if they DID use PCF, it does not necessarily mean hard shadows.

My main point of contention was basically you saying the tree shadows should look like the one underneath the car in the PCars screenshot and your liberal use of the term PCF to mean hard, stencil-like shadows.

none of the shadows in that collage are similar to the hard edged and blocky shadows in pcars.

you quoted my posts out of order, here is the very first post i made on the subject.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=145152394&postcount=2231

it stands to reason that i would be referring to ps3 style pcf shadows in all posts going forward when talking about the exact same subject.

"shadows actually never look like that. only shadows from the car are soft."

thats 2 sentences. the first saying that shadows never appear blocky and completely devoid of ANY softness whatsoever like the tree shadows in pcars, and the 2nd that only the shadow from the car has some softness applied to it.

15916003495_1432e297ef0u5g.jpg

its physically impossible for shadows to ever look like that in real life, and to say this is just as bad as DC not having CHS is absolutely ridiculous. if you actually think those shadows look like the ones here

shadows6xutk.jpg

then im rly not sure what else to say

Javin98

Banned
Now people are saying the lighting in GT and PCars is more realistic than DC? Da fuq?
Yeah, this thread is really face palm worthy with several posts. It's amazing how desperate people can get at times. First it was "PCars looks better than DC! But I can't post pics to prove my point so let's agree to disagree!" to "Durr... Post real time screenshots. DC in Photomode looks WAY BETTER because of dat AA and shadows!" and recently like your post stated we have "GT looks more realistic. It's subjective but DC looks gamey to me". And finally, "FH2 gives DC a run for its money because it is open world!"

or i could do you a huge favor and suggest you visit or find a better optometrist

My eyes are fine, thanks for the psuedo concern, though.

The area I've squared off here, the area that's actually rendering properly. I don't know what's wrong with the rest, but this part is clearly much higher detail. This part is completely accurate to the collage that was posted, with the sun cutting through the leaves and having gaps in the shadows.
EaWUkcp.png

The rest are clearly imperfections so I'm not referring to them. The blocky shadows are in no way the "intended" look, they're obviously just a byproduct of the unusual camera angle.

Or you can actually explain how those blocky shadows from trees in PCars look like shadows in real life?

Like my post above where I explained exactly that?

The blocky shadows aren't the intended effect, it's blindingly obvious. There's a clear divide between where the blocky shadows are rendering and where the clear ones are rendering.

The blocky shadows aren't the intended effect, it's blindingly obvious. There's a clear divide between where the blocky shadows are rendering and where the clear ones are rendering.

didnt explain anything, the highlighted area is still blocky and hard edged/aliased, the silhouette is just a bit more defined. dont try to blame anything on the camera angle, it looks just like that in game, and leads to tremendous amounts of temporal shadow aliasing

ICPEE

I'd rather do that in GTA5 which does it better anyway. I like my racing games being about actual racing.

Yeah, this thread is really face palm worthy with several posts. It's amazing how desperate people can get at times. First it was "PCars looks better than DC! But I can't post pics to prove my point so let's agree to disagree!" to "Durr... Post real time screenshots. DC in Photomode looks WAY BETTER because of dat AA and shadows!" and recently like your post stated we have "GT looks more realistic. It's subjective but DC looks gamey to me". And finally, "FH2 gives DC a run for its money because it is open world!"
Yeah some people really let themselves go in this thread. DC with the weather and photomode update has really ruffled a few feathers. Graphics wise DC curb stomps all racing titles in existance based on pure visual and sound fidelity (with the new sound update). There is no two ways about it. I fully expect this title to evolve further with more visual tweaks.

ICPEE

My bad. But it wouldn't surprise me if someone held a similar point of view about closed course games being a relic and that racing games need to be open world in order to be interesting. But apparently that's not the case here. Apologies.
You should read some DC reviews. I'm pretty sure you would find terms like "linear" and "soulless" (whatever the fuck that means) bandied about. Maybe someone can explain that to me cause im still trying to make sense of it.

Javin98

Banned

So you are claiming the blocky shadows are simply a visual bug when there are a few screenshots showing that they are in fact the shadows used for foliage in the game? And the so called "clear" shadows are further from the screen so they look better. This is desperation right here.

So you are claiming the blocky shadows are simply a visual bug when there are a few screenshots showing that they are in fact the shadows used for foliage in the game? And the so called "clear" shadows are further from the screen so they look better. This is desperation right here.

They're not "further from the screen so they look better". There's literally a hard cut line between the bad shadows and the good ones. Why would the good ones be rendered further away?

If they look better because they're in the distance, then why is it still easy to tell the difference between those and the blocky ones that are also in the distance?

Don't even start with this "desperation" shite. I'm explaining it clear as day to you with evidence in actual images. If you don't get it, then great, I'm sorry that you can't comprehend the imagery.

Lol at the mad DC fanboys that aren't willing to accept that it's art style is far from photorealistic.

Tell me about it. I know fine well that pCARS looks worse but it seems that they can't grasp the fact that SOME parts of pCARS are better executed.

Jamesways

Lol at the mad DC fanboys that aren't willing to accept that it's art style is far from photorealistic.

Back to it, eh? No game will ever look as good as Forza 5, right?

This thread...

This is why we can't have nice things.

Next gen games look great. Surely we can all agree?

But mowing down corn crops with million dollar supercars is next gen. PCars, GT and other track racing titles are now obsolete.

Wait, and you are complaining about the the comments in this thread?

Personally, I have Forza 5 for proper Racing, and FH2 for pure fun.

Driveclub does look great, but it never looked near as good as the photos I see in this thread when I tried it out. It was pretty stunning, though, andI think in terms of pure graphics, it beats FH2 pretty handily.

The problem was, it was kind of boring. It doesn't feel like an arcade racer, but it was way too shallow to be a sim. Hell, it lacks the the multitude of activities that FH2 has.

It just feels like a good racing game that PS4 owners can enjoy the hell out of. But the uber love it gets is kind of comical.

Tell me about it. I know fine well that pCARS looks worse but it seems that they can't grasp the fact that SOME parts of pCARS are better executed.

aside from the areas that will always scale with no cap due to unlimited money and future hardware(IQ features like res/aa/af), i dont believe pcars does anything better when it comes to graphics.

and wrt the photorealism argument, hardware is many many generations from being able to run games that are truly photorealistic(and this is flat out ignoring animation, i dont know how that one will be solved). when people use that term it should be taken as a loose phrase to state improvement relative to other games using current technology.

ShamePain

Banned
Dat salt.

So after you were proven wrong about DC's photomode and GT's photomode, you resort to "lol Sony fanboys".

You don't have anything to back up your previous claims?

Smooth.

There is nothing wrong with that argument, both games have increased fidelity in photo mode compared to in game, in GT's case it's more pronounced because the game is not running at 1080p but the photo mode renders images at that resolution.

There is nothing wrong with that argument, both games have increased fidelity in photo mode compared to in game, in GT's case it's more pronounced because the game is not running at 1080p but the photo mode renders images at that resolution.

Besides the fact that people have explained to you that there is a vast difference between GT/Forza style of photomode and DC photomode... What was the argument again? Something about GT looking better to you than Drive Club? You've lost me along the way.

I quote:
So what is the difference with GT's photo mode exactly? Both turn up AA and fix the shitty shadows.

The difference is that GT swaps out car models for higher fidelity ones, while supersampling the image. DC, on the other hand, just adds another pass of AA. Maybe it does something to shadows, but I haven't really paid attention to that. If you want, you can add more blur and such, but that's optional.

When it comes to the models, lighting, and environment, what you see is what you get with DC photomode.

Top Bottom