• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-gen Racing Graphics Face-off | (Next-gen means current-gen)

bathsalts

This thread is sad, here's some stuff other devs are doing

4nv8185.gif

ihXjShk.gif

DQH3F7o.gif

qCu3Qjo.gif

Tm%C2%B2Stadium-Screenshot-2.png

trackmania-2-stadium-in-game.jpg

Yeah whatever mate, not once has DC managed to make me question whether the pic is real or game. Still happens when I go to GT's photo mode threads.
DC looks great, but not realistic.

GT's photo mode thread is full of bullshots that look way better than the game.
It easy to make most racing games look realistic in bullshots in this day and age especially without weather .

Yeah whatever mate, not once has DC managed to make me question whether the pic is real or game. Still happens when I go to GT's photo mode threads.

I've questioned if what I was seeing was real or not multiple times, both with images and gameplay. It's the most realistic looking racer by far, imo, and I don't just mean in terms of graphics and effects. I don't think I've ever seen a game do overcast weather better than DC. The lighting model is unmatched.

bathsalts

This thread is a graphics face-off thread. Your post is irrelevant.

I think soft modeled physics can fall under the graphics umbrella, looks more realistic to me than bouncing a lambo off walls without a scratch, might as well compare edited still photos of only corridor games otherwise,.. oh wait.

DC is pretty ugly. The only time it looks good to me is when everything is wet. It seems to hide the poor IQ and low quality textures better when wet.

I do not think any game comes anywhere close to matching real life.

ShamePain

Banned
I've questioned if what I was seeing was real or not multiple times, both with images and gameplay. It's the most realistic looking racer by far, imo, and I don't just mean in terms of graphics and effects. I don't think I've ever seen a game do overcast weather better than DC. The lighting model is unmatched.

It's all subjective, to me DC looks gamey and I can easily tell it's a game from the screenshots.

So what is the difference with GT's photo mode exactly? Both turn up AA and fix the shitty shadows.

I fail to see how GT is relevant. I was responding solely to your claim that DC's visuals look "way better" in photo-mode than they do in-game. I think you may have me mixed up with the other guy who was talking about GT.

It's also worth mentioning that DC has less polygons is cars than GT/Forza/PCars.

This is far from the truth when it comes to gameplay .
For eg PCars have 200k to 300k per car on max setting ( on consoles i think down to 60 or 70k) and DC has 250k in gameplay .
Forza and GT have a higher polygon count but that during showroom or photo mode etc etc .

Synth

So what is the difference with GT's photo mode exactly? Both turn up AA and fix the shitty shadows.

I'm not too sure what the differences with other games photomodes are... but Forza and GT looks like completely different games (at least a generation removed) once the photomodes are done with them. Not comparable to Driveclub's at all imo.

ShamePain

Banned
I'm not too sure what the differences with other games photomodes are... but Forza and GT looks like completely different games (at least a generation removed) once the photomodes are done with them. Not comparable to Driveclub's at all imo.

It sounds like you don't know what you're talking about really, that doesn't make any sense.

Synth

It sounds like you don't know what you're talking about really, that doesn't make any sense.

I specifically said I didn't know what I'm talking about. :p

I do however know what games look like on my screen in comparison to photomode, and Driveclub easily has the least discrepancy between them.

eso76

It is funny how all these 'in game' shots are from angles you cant play from. Just coincidence I guess...

I have a build of pCARS from about one month ago. Apart from the fact that is inst anywhere near finished (which I was very surprised at, they were NEVER launching this year, no way) it doesn't look that great either. I want to know where the magical internet bullshot toggle is.

Yeah, well..
I don't know what it is about Pcars.
I don't have the game, I always see pics like these posted which trick me into going to YT and searching for vids of more recent builds, expecting to be blown away.
But i always leave unimpressed.

Now yeah, these being from angles you can't play from is understandable (if you want to show dem cars, gameplay perspectives are not ideal, most screens in this thread are the same, obviously) but i haven't seen, say, a replay of a race looking anywhere remotely close to those screens.

So, ok, game can look absolutely incredible in screens, but can someone post a vid showing this kind of visual realism in motion ?
Not saying game x looks better or worse than game y here, just honestly curious to see what the game can look like, at its best, in motion.

Doesn't GT use higher poly cars and downsampling in photomode? DC just adds a bit of AA. There is no downampling in DC and the cars in photomode are the same as gameplay.

One of the biggest difference is that photo mode from GT and Forza is used during replays which is something DC does not have.
In fact GT half it's frame rate in replay mode so it can look better .

Synth

One of the biggest difference is that photo mode from GT and Forza is used during replays which is something DC does not have.
In fact GT half it's frame rate in replay mode so it can look better .

Well FH2 can kick out into photomode during a race at the touch of a button. It doesn't prevent the resulting photo looking impossibly better than game itself.

KOHIPEET

We can cherry pick bad shots for all of the games in this thread all day everyday.

I can choose to only post the pics below and say FH2 actually looks this bland and/or blurry trying to imply that's how the game looks all the time, but that wouldn't be true would it?

Or say this is actually how bad pCars textures look but that also wouldn't be true right?

And also say yup, Forza 5 actually looks like this, but the game never looks this bad most of the time does it?

I think you could have at least chosen some much better in-game shots, which there are actually an abundance of, and not stoop to that level.

But here are some gameplay shots I took way before DC's photomode update even hit.

iwfibv.jpg

dxxoiv.jpg

unccgo.jpg

mgunnq.jpg

wkdudv.jpg

cfqobn.jpg

kgrjqp.jpg

And I've already given examples of the visual differences between a gameplay grab vs. what photomode does.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=145289422&postcount=2382

Massively improved image quality? Depends on how much aliasing there was on screen in the first place where the 5 types of AA used wasn't able to be applied on certain objects or light highlights. From my experience the AA in-game is rather great most of the time.

in-game
mswzuq.jpg

photomode
soetkn.jpg

Hands down the best looking game I've ever played. Sure. Other racing games may have better models, better textures, but the lighting in DC is just something else. The colors of the sky in Chile, just before sunrise....it's just incredible.

Yiazmat

I actually agree with this. There's something about DC art direction that just doesn't make it look that lifelike. While GT Photomode can, at times, do a better job at tricking you into thinking it's real.

I actually agree with this. There's something about DC art direction that just doesn't make it look that lifelike. While GT Photomode can, at times, do a better job at tricking you into thinking it's real.

It's hard to be trick when it has a GT mark at the top lol .
Still i get your point but the car in that pic don't look that good at full size.

Honestly, no, DC has failed to produce photorealistic images, despite of course having impressive tech under the hood, the art style is not photorealistic at all, it looks just as gamey as others. Gran Turismo still holds the crown for nailing the realistic color palette and the look of cars under different lighting conditions. Not a single image from DC or Forza gave me that impression. PC is probably to the closest to Gran Turismo's level but lack subtlety and half the time looks gamey as well. All of this brings to me to the fact that Kaz needs to hurry the hell up and show us something running on the ps4.

Ehh, lol, thanks for keeping this thread alive dude. Still haven't seen gameplay shots or footage of other titles coming close to DC. Basically this:

"Everything else"? Aside from PCars, what else do you think looks better than DC?

I also think it's ridiculously hypocritical for people to bitch about not seeing "real gameplay" pics of DC, then continue to show only cherry-picked photo mode pics from PCars. So far I've seen ONE in-game pic of PCars in this thread, and it's been torn apart for looking like shit. So let's see some more to back up these claims of its utter superiority.

jpbonadio

Banned
Now people are saying the lighting in GT and PCars is more realistic than DC? Da fuq?

I don't know what's going on with people in this thread ... it's like an army of crazy people posting.

I was going to quote the shit posts from the last pages, but they were so many, and so stupid, that I actually just gave up and laugh. This is too much nonsense for me.

Look at post below. Basically, both GT and Forza swap out the in game car model for a higher quality version. That, and it supersamples.
Doesn't GT use higher poly cars and downsampling in photomode? DC just adds a bit of AA. There is no downampling in DC and the cars in photomode are the same as gameplay.

Dat grass.

ICPEE

Some truely embarrassing posts in the last few pages. "DC photomode looking way better than gameplay" claims being the gem of the bunch. Oh god, this is comedy gold. I better get the popcorn.

rashbeep

Banned
Having recently purchased Drive Club on impulse it does indeed look fantastic. It's very contextual though, like a lot of games. Some assets look rubbish and the lighting looks weak on some tracks. I fucking hate how tunnels tend to look too. There's this one stone tunnel that looks almost like they forgot to bake or include any lighting, giving it a gross flat lit unfinished look. Drive Club, like a lot of games, also hides its blemishes through motion blur and smearing the screen in all kinds of shit. It just so happens that the shit is "natural" effects that for most part enhance the immersion.

Indeed. Is why I roll my eyes when I see people posting how DC is the best looking game ever, because it clearly isn't in several areas. It does beat other racing games out there though.

Caddle

All this talk about DC environments and yet you can't interact with any of it. It's like the car and the backdrops are on different planes.DC looks very good, but fh2 gives it a run. Nothing like plowing through the fields in the early morning with the sun rising, rain, and dust kicking up in cockpit view. Also the driver is reflected onto the dash.

All this talk about DC environments and yet you can't interact with any of it. It's like the car and the backdrops are on different planes.DC looks very good, but fh2 gives it a run. Nothing like plowing through the fields in the early morning with the sun rising, rain, and dust kicking up in cockpit view. Also the driver is reflected onto the dash.

I'd rather do that in GTA5 which does it better anyway. I like my racing games being about actual racing.

Top Bottom