• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-gen Racing Graphics Face-off | (Next-gen means current-gen)

ShapeGSX

Then you'd be missing out on one of the most purest racers in years. Shame really.

Purest?

Pure_Video_Game_Cover.jpg

There are also a lot of people on those DC threads, myself included, who really do not like the handling model DC uses. But let's completely ignore the countless DC impressions in which thousands of people who actually own and play the game have been disappointed with the handling for two months now. It's all about "the rest of the internet".

I can do it too. It doesn't make you or me correct.

Why are you missing out the fact that I'm talking about DC threads? What are "countless impressions"? Impressions from where? The "rest of the internet"? The vast, vast majority of people in DC threads have sung its praises. I know, I've been keeping up with pretty much every DC thread there is. "Thousands" have not been disappointed in DC threads, at all, far from it in fact. As I said, the vast majority is composed of people who love it. And it's funny how the person I was replying to decided to use IGN and metacritic as a way to represent the "majority" rather than the majority of people in DC threads.

So no, you can't do it too, because that's bullshit.

ShapeGSX

Why are missing out the fact that I'm talking about DC threads? What are "countless impressions"? Impressions from where? The "rest of the internet"? The vast, vast majority of people in DC threads have sung its praises. I know, I've been keeping up with pretty much every DC thread there is. "Thousands" have not been disappointed in DC threads, at all, far from it in fact. As i said, the vast majority is composed of people who love it. And it's funny how the person I was replying to decided to use IGN and metacritic as a way to represent the "majority" rather than the majority of people in DC threads.

People who are disappointed in a game don't generally hang out for long in threads about that game.

People who are disappointed in a game don't generally hang out for long in threads about that game.

True, but that doesn't change the fact that the person I was replying to chose a few metacritic reviews and IGN as a basis to claim that DC is an "ok" racer, and calling that "the majority opinion", rather than the thousands of people in DC threads who would say the opposite. That just screams bias to me.

Noobcraft

Why are you missing out the fact that I'm talking about DC threads? What are "countless impressions"? Impressions from where? The "rest of the internet"? The vast, vast majority of people in DC threads have sung its praises. I know, I've been keeping up with pretty much every DC thread there is. "Thousands" have not been disappointed in DC threads, at all, far from it in fact. As I said, the vast majority is composed of people who love it. And it's funny how the person I was replying to decided to use IGN and metacritic as a way to represent the "majority" rather than the majority of people in DC threads.

The vast majority of people in threads for any game (ignoring Ubisoft titles) will sing praises for that title. There's always going to be a bias in forum threads. I prefer FH2 to Driveclub, Gran Turismo to Forza Motorsport. I like the gameplay better in FH2, but I own both games and I respect that both games are good at their own respects. Driveclub is good at getting you right into a race with no fuss. Forza is good at giving you the opportunity to enjoy driving. I like that you don't have to race in Forza Horizon. You can do whatever you want, but when you do want to race it can provide some of the best racing available anywhere because of its well fleshed out tuning and customization system and excellent course design.

More on topic. Driveclub hands down has the best weather system. Volumetric clouds are awesome, the lighting is probably the best of any game this gen so far, and the environments are well designed. It is missing tire spray effects, wind effecting the rain, and it seems like it's either tons of rain or none all. Lighting bolts don't reflect in puddles on the road or on the car, but they do illuminate the sky with a round blue ball.
driveclub_201412091506vcvd.jpg

Even though i'm stoked about the upcoming release of Project Cars as a PC-only gamer, i honestly at this point think nothing comes close to Drive Club visually. Absolutely jaw-dropping beautiful from the vids i see...

I don't care wich game has more particles, better shaders, sharper textures etc. I only judge the game on how it pleases my eye and how natural it all feels, and Drive Club is 10/10 for me.

The vast majority of people in threads for any game (ignoring Ubisoft titles) will sing praises for that title. There's always going to be a bias in forum threads. I prefer FH2 to Driveclub, Gran Turismo to Forza Motorsport. I like the gameplay better in FH2, but I own both games and I respect that both games are good at their own respects. Driveclub is good at getting you right into a race with no fuss. Forza is good at giving you the opportunity to enjoy driving. I like that you don't have to race in Forza Horizon. You can do whatever you want, but when you do want to race it can provide some of the best racing available anywhere because of its well fleshed out tuning and customization system and excellent course design.

More on topic. Driveclub hands down has the best weather system. Volumetric clouds are awesome, the lighting is probably the best of any game this gen so far, and the environments are well designed. It is missing tire spray effects, wind effecting the rain, and it seems like it's either tons of rain or none all. Lighting bolts don't reflect in puddles on the road or on the car, but they do illuminate the sky with a round blue ball.

Lightning does reflect on the environment. The photo you posted just isn't in the right angle.

Edit:
376DRIVECLUB20141231100.jpg

Javin98

Banned
I never said its no fun to play its an ok racer with fantastic graphics, the reviews scores and majority opinion reflect this.

and I agree there is not as next genish lighting and effects as there are in driveclub, which does make the differences look more subtle but its still a great looking game that has an overall visual package that still looks significantly better then anything last gen.

as demonstrated here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_oJOEbsXiLk
Open world racer or burst! Amirite? Amirite? /s

Noobcraft

Lightning does reflect on the environment. The photo you posted just isn't in the right angle.
Show me a reflected lightning bolt in DC then. I've tried to get one and it doesn't work. The lightning does light up the environment which is cool (especially at night) but I can't get an actual reflection of lightning. The best I get get is a blue ball from what I assume is the light source they use to light up the environment.

That pic you showed is the light from the lightning reflecting on the road, I'm talking something like this:

lightning-reflection.jpg

Show me a reflected lightning bolt in DC then. I've tried to get one and it doesn't work. The lightning does light up the environment which is cool (especially at night) but I can't get an actual reflection of lightning. The best I get get is a blue ball from what I assume is the light source they use to light up the environment.

That pic you showed is the light from the lightning reflecting on the road, I'm talking something like this:

lightning-reflection.jpg
Ah I see. Well I'll keep my eye out the next time I play :). Maybe reducing the exposure can reveal the bolt of lighting reflecting off the road.

I see your gravel and raise you a fogging up windscreen due to the humidity in wet conditions.
It's hard enough to race in heavy rain/snow. Don't give Evolution any ideas!

Noobcraft

Ah I see. Well I'll keep my eye out the next time I play :). Maybe reducing the exposure can reveal the bolt of lighting reflecting off the road.
I'm not great with photography but if you can find me one it would be super cool (will gladly eat crow). I'll give it another shot too.

Gestault

It's possible the angle/distance doesn't play well with the screen-space reflections. It's the same way at certain angles, if the top of a speed banner is above the edge of the screen, it'll just stretch down beyond that point further than it would normally as filler so it doesn't just cut off. The lighting flare-up is a nice enough stand in, if this is the case. I'd bet either way it's more down to angle than exposure.

It's possible the angle/distance doesn't play well with the screen-space reflections. It's the same way at certain angles, if the top of a speed banner is above the edge of the screen, it'll just stretch down beyond that point further than it would normally as filler so it doesn't just cut off. The lighting flare-up is a nice enough stand in, if this is the case. I'd bet either way it's more down to angle than exposure.
Yeah that sounds like it's probably the case. I'm going to do a bit of experimenting in photo mode today :)

Hoo-doo

Banned
I don't think reflected lightning is too much to ask for in a game that uses SSR. Its a weird omission when everything else reflects.

Lightning is lightning. It's gone in a second and you only notice the bright flash.

It's only when looking for it in photomode where you can even spot the absence of the reflection. Why bother?

There are 3 settings:
- Heavy rain
- Slight rain
- Dynamic

Noobcraft

Yeah that sounds like it's probably the case. I'm going to do a bit of experimenting in photo mode today :)
I have to upload my pics but I got a bunch. It doesn't reflect (just a circle from what i assume is the light source reflects) but that didn't stop me from getting some awesome pictures. What's more surprising to me is that the fireworks don't have any noticeable reflection either.

Here we go:
driveclub_201501031050tuge.jpg

driveclub_20150103105qxuq0.jpg

Pre Post Processing:
driveclub_201501031101ou9k.jpg

After Post Processing:
driveclub_20150103110tzu89.jpg

driveclub_20150103110lrutn.jpg

Lightning Source Zoomed:
driveclub_201501031108xuim.jpg

driveclub_20150103110x8uab.jpg

driveclub_20150103110nyum5.jpg

RayMaker

Banned
True, but that doesn't change the fact that the person I was replying to chose a few metacritic reviews and IGN as a basis to claim that DC is an "ok" racer, and calling that "the majority opinion", rather than the thousands of people in DC threads who would say the opposite. That just screams bias to me.

Notice I put ''etc etc'', every site people mention the gameplay is not great.

and you say the majority of people say great things about it, but you only include GAF.

Even here on neogaf schennmu said ''This narrative that DC is not fun to play is there to stay, right?'

Theres no bias about it, people say while the game has fantastic visuals there are some negatives on the gameplay.

Majanew

Banned
Evolution needs to work on the way rain looks at night when your headlights hits it. Looks very unrealistic. Looks like Killzone Shadow Fall's rain.

Purest 78

and you say the majority of people say great things about it, but you only include GAF.

Even here on neogaf schennmu said ''This narrative that DC is not fun to play is there to stay, right?'

Theres no bias about it, people say while the game has fantastic visuals there are some negatives on the gameplay.

It's simple to me if you haven't played the game, anything you say about gameplay can't be taken serious.

Gestault

Evolution needs to work on the way rain looks at night when your headlights hits it. Looks very unrealistic. Looks like Killzone Shadow Fall's rain.

In almost every other way they have some of the best downpour rain in the business, but I see exactly what you mean. I know it's not as simple as this, but just having the headlights highlight the falling rain at a lower opacity would go a long way toward helping. In snow, I notice the headlights don't have the sort of cutoff line near eye-level for projection that I notice driving myself, so it looks more like a star-field than it might in heavy precip.

I'm not really complaining, because I think visual distraction can make racing titles more exciting, and there's not many options like what Evo pulled off with the updates. I'm also someone who thought the use of sunlight in the more recent Forza games is deliberate and desirable. Specifically when I noticed that the coloration on the sun-glare for most tracks (specifically, FM5) obscures the driving line, I thought that was a fantastic way to balance out environment with assists.

And every site people also mention the gameplay is great. Again you're only focusing on the negative.

No, you're misunderstanding me. I said the majority of people in DC threads sing its praises, not "the majority" full stop, like you did.

Theres no bias about it,

There is bias in your posts. You're trying to objectively prove that the game is "ok" based on what certain sites say, while completely ignoring a huge group of people who say otherwise. You're only paying attention to the people who share your opinion, and conveniently forgetting to mention the thousands of people on here who say the game is more than just "ok".

people say while the game has fantastic visuals there are some negatives on the gameplay

And, again, 'people' also say the game is fantastic and has positives on the gameplay. You keep doing this over and over again, using subjective comments as a way to objectively prove something about DC. It doesn't work like that. You can't just say DC is "ok" because certain sites and "people" say so.

Caddle

Do you have to play two games to figure out which looks better? It's all visual, youtube/gamersyde/any hosting site should suffice.

If he said one has a better handling model than the other, then your statement might seem more appropriate.
But your basing your opinion off what someone else is saying without even playing the games, to see how it looks in front of you. I've seen DC foe myself and it does look good , you on the other hand is taking second hand accounts of fh2.

Majanew

Banned
In almost every other way they have some of the best downpour rain in the business, but I see exactly what you mean. I know it's not as simple as this, but just having the headlights highlight the falling rain at a lower opacity would go a long way toward helping. In snow, I notice the headlights don't have the sort of cutoff line near eye-level for projection that I notice driving myself, so it looks more like a star-field than it might in heavy precip.

I'm not really complaining, because I think visual distraction can make racing titles more exciting, and there's not many options like what Evo pulled off with the updates. I'm also someone who thought the use of sunlight in the more recent Forza games is deliberate and desirable. Specifically when I noticed that the coloration on the sun-glare for most tracks (specifically, FM5) obscures the driving line, I thought that was a fantastic way to balance out environment with assists.
The visual distraction should be the rain gathering on the windshield. Everything looks great until I see the rain at night from cockpit view -- looks like white sparks.
I agree with FM5's sun. It, coupled with the windshield reflecting parts of the steering wheel and dash, is great.

RayMaker

Banned
And every site people also mention the gameplay is great. Again you're only focusing on the negative.

No, you're misunderstanding me. I said the majority of people in DC threads sing its praises, not "the majority" full stop, like you did.

There is bias in your posts. You're trying to objectively prove that the game is "ok" based on what certain sites say, while completely ignoring a huge group of people who say otherwise. You're only paying attention to the people who share your opinion, and conveniently forgetting to mention the thousands of people on here who say the game is more than just "ok".

And, again, 'people' also say the game is fantastic and has positives on the gameplay. You keep doing this over and over again, using subjective comments as a way to objectively prove something about DC. It doesn't work like that. You can't just say DC is "ok" because certain sites and "people" say so.

Well the person who I was originally replying to was trying to objectively prove ''the gamer opinion of DRIVECLUB is extremely positive.'' based on eurogamers top 50 games and driveclub being 15th.

Which is simply not true. The only thing I was trying to prove was that ''the gamer opinion of DRIVECLUB is extremely positive.'' is not true.

There might be loads of fan threads in gaf praising the game to be the best racer in the world, but every site , including this one does mention gameplay issues.

You cant prove a game is , good, bad or whatever, its an opinion,

which is what I should of said to this statement ''the gamer opinion of DRIVECLUB is extremely positive.'' in which I was originally replying to.

Its funny Lukas , SolidSnakex was doing the same as what you accusing me of doing, yet you didnt reply to him/her once?

What...

You agree?

Have you played DC?

Because if you haven't, then agreeing with him makes no sense as what he is saying would include you too. Lol.

I have played driveclub and I was agreeing that you cant take anyone seriously who has not played the game.

Jamesways

"It's not bias, DC is a medicore game, 'people' have confirmed"

Ok. Different strokes for different folks.

I prefer DC's gameplay to FH2s. But then again, I prefer circuit racers in general. I really think they both look and feel great, it's an amazing start to this gen.

And when pCARS comes out, regardless of spotty textures, track side details, or rain effects, I'll prefer that to DC. Still happy to own and enjoy DC, it'll scratch the PGR itch for a long time.
But I'm really looking forward to simulating some GT motorsports. As much as I love racing tracks in MotoGP, Milestone's next gen effort is still a bit behind. And I prefer GT3 to Motorcycles anyway.

Unless T10 really bolster their track list, and next gen F1 offers a classic pack like 2013, pCARS will be the only to one to see racing on tracks like Zolder, Brands Hatch, and Imola with dynamic time/lighting and weather.

Let's hope T10 does include more tracks and lighting/weather features for Fm6.

And speaking of Codemasters, can't wait to see what Dirt 4 will bring graphic and gameplay wise.
I imagine we'll be hearing and seeing something relatively soon. Shame about the WRC license, Big Ben and their small developer probably won't have anything ready for a long time.

Which is simply not true. The only thing I was trying to prove was that ''the gamer opinion of DRIVECLUB is extremely positive.'' is not true.

Do I need to quote you? Because that's not what you were doing. You said the game was just "ok" and that reviews and majority opinion reflected that. The comment you were replying to doesn't even make any sense. What the hell is the "gamer opinion"?

There might be loads of fan threads in gaf praising the game to be the best racer in the world, but every site , including this one does mention gameplay issues.

So now you're trying to change your argument from DC being an "ok" game because IGN and metacritic say so, to it has some "gameplay issues"? Come on, man. Of course every site is going to have people who say it has gameplay issues, just like every site will also have some people will think it has none. But that isn't what you were trying to prove, you tried to prove that DC was just an "ok" game because certain sites say so and that was the majority opinion. Which is bullshit.

You cant prove a game is , god, bad or whatever, its an opinion

Which, ironically, is my entire point.

which is what I should of said to this statement ''the gamer opinion of DRIVECLUB is extremely positive.'' in which I was originally replying to.

You should have...but you didn't. Instead you tried to use subjective comments as a way to objectively prove something. It doesn't matter if the person you were replying to was talking out of his ass, two wrongs don't make a right.

Its funny Lukas , SolidSnakex was doing the same as what you accusing me of doing, yet you didnt reply to him/her once?

Unfortunately, I'm not omnipresent. Sorry. And I don't feel like I should be persecuted for not being so.

I have played driveclub and I was agreeing that you cant take anyone seriously who has not played the game.

Ok, cool. Good to know. Still begs the question why you were so adamant on using the views of other people to try and prove something about a game, and trying to pass off those views and opinions as the majority opinion, rather than just give your own opinion on DC as a game.

"It's not bias, DC is a medicore game, 'people' have confirmed".

Lol, exactly. I don't know how people type this kind of shit with a straight face, let alone press 'Enter' on their keyboards and actually post it.

From questioning driveclub's graphics to gameplay? It's hard to judge the game if you haven't played. I got into Driveclub very recently when the weather update came out and this game hands down is the best racing game(in terms of fun and visual immersion) I've played in the last 4 years!

I watched and read loads of reviews(english and german ones) until I decided not to buy Driveclub.
But the common points were that the foundation is extremly solid but lack of content, and broken online make it a weak competitor.
Thats why I decided not to buy it an wait till online is fixed, stuff like replays and weather are patched in and more content is available.
I bought Driveclub after I read a lot of positive reactions after the weather was patched in and the online was fixed.

There is nothing wrong with the gameplay at all, in fact, I'd say its the best arcade racer in years. The thrill this games gives is only comparable to Wipeout and Burnout 3, and that means a lot since these are my favorite racing games of all time(I don't like racing sims at all).
But I still notice that its a little thin on the content. Compared to other games variety in cars could be better. Also racing modes are very limited and while the variety in tracks is great, there aren't that many different tracks.
The fact that this game is still so much fun proves to me how great the gameplay is. It doesn't matter that I'm constantly using the same cars and drive on the same tracks because its always great and gameplay is just so good.
The dynamic nature of the game also achieves that no racer ever feels quite the same.

So, yeah. Its a valid criticism that there aren't hundreds of cars and more tracks, but ultimately it doesn't affect the enjoyment.
Wipeout has even less cars/ships(I guess its 12 or 16) and also less tracks and especially smaller tracks. Its still a game I invested hundrets of hours in because the gameplay is just phenomenal.

I'm pretty sure Driveclub will be a big deal in 2015 because once the PS+ version hits loads of people will notice for themselfs how good the game actually is.
Now many people still think its a bad racing game because reviews were bad because the game was unfinished and multiplayer was broken, but its actually a very, very good game.

Skyzard

Banned
The one thing that worries me about DC is Jeff G's comments about the handling - stopping way too easily - removing the challenge?

I assume he didn't mean stopping easily compared to a sim racer, but even for an arcade racer.

The one thing that worries me about DC is Jeff G's comments about the handling - stopping way too easily - removing the challenge?

I gave a very brief first impression in the OT and I said that it feels more arcadey than I was expecting, and this is why. I'll fuck up when entering a corner, thinking I've braked later than I should have, but I wont actually fuck up and my car will stay on the track due to the forgiving braking.

It seems a little too forgiving, but I'm sure I will get used to it and adjust my cornering/braking accordingly.

Skyzard

Banned
Hmm, a shame thanks.

It seems a little too forgiving, but I'm sure I will get used to it and adjust my cornering/braking accordingly.

I guess if that allows for opportunities for taking the corner and exiting it much faster than if you were to brake late and keep going then I wouldn't have a problem with it. Could do with more fast arcade racers with great visuals.

If you are racing another guy, and you take the corner with the utmost grace and he goes in full speed, brakes on the corner and comes out and he's right behind you, without much distance between you, I'd be less happy.

As in, if there is a decent reward for learning the mechanics it shouldn't be a problem. If it just lets everyone race together regardless of care or skill then I'd still want to play it for the graphics and speed but I'm not sure how long I would stay.

Hmm, a shame thanks.

I guess if that allows for opportunities for taking the corner and exiting it much faster than if you were to brake late and keep going then I wouldn't have a problem with it.

If you are racing another guy, and you take the corner with the utmost grace and he goes in full speed, brakes on the corner and comes out and he's right behind you, without much distance between you, I'd be less happy.

I did a few races earlier with just me and one AI player on the track, and I tried to overtake the AI driver by being fast and aggressive, just like how you just described, and I failed. It just widened the gap between us. Don't worry, driving lines and skill definitely still matter.

RayMaker

Banned
Do I need to quote you? Because that's not what you were doing. You said the game was just "ok" and that reviews and majority opinion reflected that. The comment you were replying to doesn't even make any sense. What the hell is the "gamer opinion"?

So now you're trying to change your argument from DC being an "ok" game because IGN and metacritic say so, to it has some "gameplay issues"? Come on, man. Of course every site is going to have people who say it has gameplay issues, just like every site will also have some people will think it has none. But that isn't what you were trying to prove, you tried to prove that DC was just an "ok" game because certain sites say so and that was the majority opinion. Which is bullshit.

Which, ironically, is my entire point.

You should have...but you didn't. Instead you tried to use subjective comments as a way to objectively prove something. It doesn't matter if the person you were replying to was talking out of his ass, two wrongs don't make a right.

Unfortunately, I'm not omnipresent. Sorry. And I don't feel like I should be persecuted for not being so.

Ok, cool. Good to know. Still begs the question why you were so adamant on using the views of other people to try and prove something about a game, and trying to pass off those views and opinions as the majority opinion, rather than just give your own opinion on DC as a game.

Lol, exactly. I don't know how people type this kind of shit with a straight face, let alone press 'Enter' on their keyboards and actually post it.

Man I really cant be bothered in a long winded debate with you.

Look, weather you want to see or not,the majority of reviews and gamers do mention that it does not have the best gameplay, even though this does not prove the game has ok gameplay - , the criticism is there.

You cant prove a game is amazing, one mans amazing is another mans rubbish.

though gamers do agree one many things like, GTA5 is better then saints row 4

I cant prove that driveclubs gameplay is ''ok'' the same way you cant prove drive clubs gameplay is better then ok.

but when reviews and user accounts consistently show my opinion to be a trend it shows that my opinion is more likely to be correct then the opposite of it.

also I didnt say driveclub was and an ok game, I said was the gameplay was ok.

and I was not trying to prove anything, I mentioned reviews and user reviews and comments to give my opinion more validation, its not something Im pulling it out my ass, a lot of other gamers think it to

when people act like me saying driveclubs gameplay is ''ok'' and not the best, is some sought of falsehood, I am just saying ''the majority of gamers think it to'', Iam not trying to create some fact that you keep trying to pin me into.

anyway if you want to continue this I think its best we do it in private.

Skyzard

Banned
I did a few races earlier with just me and one AI player on the track, and I tried to overtake the AI driver by being fast and aggressive, just like how you just described, and I failed. It just widened the gap between us. Don't worry, driving lines and skill definitely still matter.

Ah okay that's good, that's what I was worried about.

Maybe a game more rewarding in multiplayer than just hot laps?

Do the top speeds feel faster than in other games?

VanWinkle

Ah okay that's good, that's what I was worried about.

Maybe a game more rewarding in multiplayer than just hot laps?

Do the top speeds feel faster than in other games?

DC probably has the best sense of speed in a game I've ever played. Probably partially do to the camera shake while moving fast.

Gestault

DC probably has the best sense of speed in a game I've ever played. Probably partially do to the camera shake while moving fast.

It reminds me of how the roadie-run animation in Gears of War really pushed that visual style. Shift and especially Shift 2 handled that well in racers, previously. I don't think a good sense of speed is particularly special at this point in the genre (which is good in its own way), but it's handled particularly well in DC.

Top Bottom