• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-gen Racing Graphics Face-off | (Next-gen means current-gen)

Dilly

Banned
Yikes.

Looks like i dont have any reason to get PCars now that I have DC.

The reason to get pCARS in the first place is as a racing simulator.

Can't believe people expect a crowfunded game to compete with a first party title when it comes down to graphics.

Hoo-doo

Banned
FH2's wet roads just don't look right. Maybe it's a shader related thing, I find DC easily topping it.

1X26CmD.gif

X1Rf3mk.gif

This was the part that stood out to me in the videos too. That's almost a generational difference to me.

FH2's world looks completely dead in all of the comparisons.

psn

Unless you actually want a racing sim, which is the only reason you would go for something like pCARS anyway.

I just did a quick comparison of Forza and pCARS. Forza is a good looking game but I feel like the lighting and models in pCARS make it look more realistic.

http://youtu.be/xvk3VXVtjRs

Either way, DC is by far the best looking driving game to date, and should be when running at 30fps with decent hardware.

Maybe make this comparison again but without the helmet cam. It's hard to compare the interior like that. Great idea though :)

Kayant

Are you joking? The .gif is made from this video, which was posted before in the thread.

A video that shows more locales, more time-of-day and weather diversity and more footage of FH2 than the mediocre IGN link you just posted.

The gif clearly has a difference in camera positioning. Not saying Fora looks better but the intentions are suspect when the camera is zoomed out and that's not even the default in Forza

Are you joking? The .gif is made from this video, which was posted before in the thread.

A video that shows more locales, more time-of-day and weather diversity and more footage of FH2 than the mediocre IGN link you just posted.

The gif clearly has a difference in camera positioning. Not saying Fora looks better but the intentions are suspect when the camera is zoomed out and that's not even the default in Forza

Kayant

Really? How does the camera position affect how the roads are represented in wetness?? or the environment assests?

Noobcraft

FH2's wet roads just don't look right. Maybe it's a shader related thing, I find DC easily topping it.

1X26CmD.gif

X1Rf3mk.gif
Apparently FH2's sky doesn't look right either. It looks like a compressed, blurry mess. Driveclub has better lighting than FH2, which is expected because I think it's the first racer to emphasize graphics and effects. I don't think the gif is the most representative look at FH2 IMO but I don't think that changes the outcome.

Actual particles vs fake 2d rain in FH2.

No, Forza Horizon 2 also uses particles, both for representing rain (it's obvious in the night shots, the rain particles change with the speed and direction of your vehicle, just like they do in Driveclub) and for modelling the lighting conditions in the atmosphere.

Totally different kind of games, but man P1podcast was not kidding when they said FH2 looks kind of cartoon-like compared to DC now. I mean everything graphics wise basically looks 1 generation behind.

The overdone exaggerated (call it comical) look has always been a thing in Forza. I would love to see them let it go at some point, but I don't see it happen this gen. Just think of that atomic sun in F5. Turn 10 and Xbox owners love their "pop".

We need some better gifs of fh2 in here.

Don't really need gifs if we have a whole comparison video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G9hUgxN--Tk&feature=youtu.be

Assetto Corsa could use like an extra year or so of dev time improving the trees.

I agree that the trees are shit, but the hardcore AC players probably don't care too much.

RayMaker

Banned
hold the press people a closed circuit racer looks better then an open world racer

Theres no doubt about it, I much rather look at driveclub then play it.

Putty

hold the press people a closed circuit racer looks better then an open world racer

Then you'd be missing out on one of the most purest racers in years. Shame really.

This narrative that DC is not fun to play is there to stay, right?

And yes, Forza Horizon suffers greatly from being open world. The pop-in, the ugly NPC cars, etc. Overall the game looks very last gen.

GodofWine

The only people who have anything bad to say about DC are people who haven't played it...almost to the person, if you've played it, you are impressed by the driving experience as much as, and quite possibly more, than the graphics. It makes my Gran Turismo hours seem bland as hell.

Visually, you can't make a case for anything else, it is just flat out pretty.

RayMaker

Banned
This narrative that DC is not fun to play is there to stay, right?

And yes, Forza Horizon suffers greatly from being open world. The pop-in, the ugly NPC cars, etc. Overall the game looks very last gen.

I never said its no fun to play its an ok racer with fantastic graphics, the reviews scores and majority opinion reflect this.

and I agree there is not as next genish lighting and effects as there are in driveclub, which does make the differences look more subtle but its still a great looking game that has an overall visual package that still looks significantly better then anything last gen.

as demonstrated here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_oJOEbsXiLk

DJ Gunner

The only people who have anything bad to say about DC are people who haven't played it...almost to the person, if you've played it, you are impressed by the driving experience as much as, and quite possibly more, than the graphics. It makes my Gran Turismo hours seem bland as hell.

Visually, you can't make a case for anything else, it is just flat out pretty.

It took a few hours for the game to grow on me tbh, but now I'm addicted to it. I haven't played a racer that was this demanding since Midnight Club II, and that challenge is what really makes it shine, imo.

Do you own any other platforms besides your Xbone? Good IQ alone does not make a next gen game.

Yes, I do, although I don't see what that has to do with anything. All the visual aspects determine how good a game looks, including the IQ. There are not many last gen games that look as good as the first Horizon, let alone FH2 on Xbox One. That's just trolling, and you know it.

I never said its no fun to play its an ok racer with fantastic graphics, the reviews scores and majority opinion reflect this.

Majority of opinion? If anyting the gamer opinion of DRIVECLUB is extremely positive. And really always has been. Eurogamer basically even noticed the disconnect between their opinion of DC and fan opinions of it when it ranked 15 on their readers to 50 list, only trailing Mario Kart 8 as far as racers go

What we said: "What we're left with is a flimsy framework - a sort of clothes horse for content - rather than a truly great racing game. DriveClub is patently intended to attract a global, interconnected audience of fiercely competitive racers but, to quote the increasingly obscure 1989 Kevin Costner film Field of Dreams: if you build it, they will come. And, unfortunately, Evolution hasn't quite built it."

You liked this one quite a bit more than we did, it seems. "Amazing visuals can only carry any game so far," wrote Breach. "The genuinely challenging and addictive gameplay makes DriveClub my favourite game of 2014."

"A rocky start," said JAGLeMans, whose username makes me think we'd be best friends even if we don't share the same taste in driving games, "but Evolution Studio's have crafted one of the finest core racing games in years. Great post release support and a stellar weather update elevates DriveClub to my game of the year."

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015-01-02-readers-top-50-games-of-2014

Purest 78

Yes, I do, although I don't see what that has to do with anything. All the visual aspects determine how good a game looks, including the IQ. There are not many last gen games that look as good as the first Horizon, let alone FH2 on Xbox One. That's just trolling, and you know it.

Horizon looks good by ps360 standards. Driveclub has created a entirely new standard.

Project CARS is the most advanced old gen game with a new coat of technology applied in physics, AI (number of cars..) ... that can be played at great IQ and framerate bruteforcing the engine.

Driveclub is the perfect example of current gen lighting system and visual effects that maybe lacks in AI, car damage, IQ and framerate.

Taking account visuals, Driveclub is a gen ahead of PCARS. In IQ, PCARS can be a gen ahead of DC if you have the right computer. About fun, it depends of what you want.

For me, the perfect combo could be DC visuals with PCARS framerate/IQ/physics.

Yes.I agree.

People have to know that PCARS was set to be a low budget Free to play PC racing game to release maybe 2012ish and bring some visuals above PC sims like Netkar Rfactor LFS. Then it turned into PS3/360/PC game as the builds were looking too good for a quick F2P game, it could be a boxed product. It then went ahead to be a very good looking game on PC as more funding came in, way beyond what the PS3/360 was capable of.

PCARS enjoyed some time as the best looking driving game in certain situations while being only half way done. Now it s a PS4/XB1/PC game. It's also a mixed bag of old and new and oddly still much looking unfinished and being high res doesn't mean its good or looks right sometimes. Some buildings in pcars do look good like the Spa pit area however.

Driveclub is the first driving game I've seen with environments done to a high level of craft and awareness. Weather is brilliantly done, the best yet. If I was to make a driving game this would be the minimum level I would aim for as I think outside the cars is very important. I dream of the Nurburging, Spa done to such a level.

ps3ud0

Good comparison between FH2's rain and DC's:

Forza Horizon 2 vs DriveClub - Rain Weather Comparison
Man thats depressing - gonna be hard to go back to other driving games (that have weather) after DC. Massive difference between FH2 and DC but I still cant believe FH2 is that bad, surely the Stormy Island DLC rectifies that?

I guess Forward+ cant come quickly enough for the Forza engine - FH always held an interest for me since I fell in love with TDU - wish PS4 had something like that (dont say The Crew :p)

ps3ud0 8)

Niven

People really think it looks last gen? I mean yeah ok it's not close to DC but last gen? Let's not get all crazy in here

RayMaker

Banned
Majority of opinion? If anyting the gamer opinion of DRIVECLUB is extremely positive. And really always has been. Eurogamer basically even noticed the disconnect between their opinion of DC and fan opinions of it when it ranked 15 on their readers to 50 list, only trailing Mario Kart 8 as far as racers go

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015-01-02-readers-top-50-games-of-2014

If you look at the rest of the internet, metacritic, IGN etc etc, that while people do like the game there is a large presence that do say it does have its problems and even the reviews mention this.

the car physics and handing in drive club are not bad, but there nothing great either.

ShamePain

Banned
Man thats depressing - gonna be hard to go back to other driving games (that have weather) after DC. Massive difference between FH2 and DC but I still cant believe FH2 is that bad, surely the Stormy Island DLC rectifies that?

I guess Forward+ cant come quickly enough for the Forza engine - FH always held an interest for me since I fell in love with TDU - wish PS4 had something like that (dont say The Crew :p)

ps3ud0 8)

Horizon 2 uses Forward+, or did you mean mainline forza?

Hoo-doo

Banned
If you look at the rest of the internet, metacritic, IGN etc etc, that while people do like the game there is a large presence that do say it does have its problems and even the reviews mention this.

the car physics and handing in drive club are not bad, but there nothing great either.

These are not things you can objectively measure. Jeff Gerstmann fucking despised the handling, yet many feel that it's the tightest playing racer that has come out in a long time.

The car physics and handling model are both deliberate decisions made by the development staff, it's not like they missed some arbitrary mark that they've set for themselves, it's how they think a racer should play.

Some people disagree and think Ridge Racer is how racers should play, some people enjoy Mario Kart more.

No, Forza Horizon 2 also uses particles, both for representing rain (it's obvious in the night shots, the rain particles change with the speed and direction of your vehicle, just like they do in Driveclub) and for modelling the lighting conditions in the atmosphere.

They do? I never noticed this when I played it. I played mostly hood-cam and I'm pretty sure the raindrops on the hood didn't move.

and I agree there is not as next genish lighting and effects as there are in driveclub, which does make the differences look more subtle but its still a great looking game that has an overall visual package that still looks significantly better then anything last gen.

as demonstrated here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_oJOEbsXiLk

Lol, what? The majority opinion of who, exactly? People who haven't played DC? Because if the majority opinion of people who have played it here on NeoGAF is anything to go by, then DC is more than an "ok" racer.

Your posts concerning DC sound really bitter, btw.

Oh, "the rest of the internet". Those guys. A few reviews and IGN are the "majority opinion". Got it.

Let's completely ignore the countless DC threads in which thousands of people who actually own and play the game have been singing its praises for two months now. It's all about "the rest of the internet".

Ridiculous. You couldn't make your bitter bias towards DC any more obvious.

Storm Island did boost weather effects a bit.
http://xboxclips.com/Mr+Noobcraft/510c6b1c-6a2c-4c34-9c33-0084cdd0912f

They don't move while on the vehicle, but while driving the rain does move in relation to the vehicle, each rain drop has a space in the game so to speak.

Ok, got ya. That makes sense.

Noobcraft

Oh, "the rest of the internet". Those guys. A few reviews and IGN are the "majority opinion". Got it.

Let's completely ignore the countless DC threads in which thousands of people who actually own and play the game have been singing its praises for two months now. It's all about "the rest of the internet".

Ridiculous.
There are also a lot of people on those DC threads, myself included, who really do not like the handling model DC uses. But let's completely ignore the countless DC impressions in which thousands of people who actually own and play the game have been disappointed with the handling for two months now. It's all about "the rest of the internet".

I can do it too. It doesn't make you or me correct.

Top Bottom