• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-gen Racing Graphics Face-off | (Next-gen means current-gen)

Just a comment on the pCars v DC gfx discussion, one thing to remember is that pCars is running at 60fps+ for me and 60fps on consoles, DC is 30fps. It stands to reason that DC would look better in some areas.

youre acting like they are running on the same hardware. what are your specs

Sipheren

Banned
youre acting like they are running on the same hardware. what are your specs

Thats why I said on conoles it will run at 60fps and will look much like it does in those shots (I am running it at 1080p on high settings - system: x5650, gtx670, 12gb ram, 70-80fps).

It would be nice if they get the rain effect looking a bit better, but really, the game plays amazing and thats what matters.

Damn, pCars looks worse than I thought.

It looks really good actually, much nicer than Forza, here it is in motion: http://youtu.be/L8xyWn7mdJM

Although I can't pick between Assetto and pCars, they are both looking so good and they drive really well.

Skyzard

Banned
Assetto Corsa could use like an extra year or so of dev time improving the trees.

pCars looks decent, looking forward to giving it a try. Doesn't impress me like some DC footage but maybe one day PC will get some of that graphical awesomeness.

FH2's wet roads just don't look right. Maybe it's a shader related thing, I find DC easily topping it.

1X26CmD.gif

X1Rf3mk.gif

Assetto Corsa could use like an extra year or so of dev time improving the trees.

pCars looks decent, looking forward to giving it a try. Doesn't impress me like some DC footage but maybe one day PC will get some of that graphical awesomeness.

Its only shot is a multiplatform title, but i dont see that happening. Maybe next gen

ShamePain

Banned
You don't actually believe this do you?

Obviously it's probably not the case and guys at T10 probably crunched like crazy to get the game running on xbone. But at the same time the changes in even most basic elements weren't for the better. The UI is horrible, convoluted and slower than FM4. I can play them side by side at any time, and I often go back to FM4, and I can't help myself but notice how much better all elements are. I hope that FM6 is a return to form and can't wait to see it at E3.

Javin98

Banned
Yeah, you're right. FH2's roads look too...I don't know, reflective?

Also, this may just be me, but in that video, they almost look a generation apart.
You're not the only one, dude. I don't know if it's a horrible looking GIF of FH2 or something, but DC just looks so much better

It's not just the wet road, the lighting, environmental detail and car all look much better in DC

I've played a lot of both FH2 and DC and there is no doubt at all that DC has the more realistic weather affects. Also in general the look of DC is more realistic, FH2 takes a very stylised view of reality.

That being said FH2 is still a real beautiful game and there are some things I'd love to import into DC -

1) The image quality, FH2 looks completely clean on my TV, much more so than DC that can look very messy at times.

2) The smoothness - I know they are both locked 30 but somehow FH2 feels smoother. I don't know if its controller response or motion blur but FH2 is far more silky than DC.

3) The long grass - FH2 has so much of it at the side of the road, I have never seen so much in any racing game.

what's smoother than butter?

Yeah I know it sounds weird(!) but if you have the chance play them back to back on the same setup and see what you think. Maybe its just me but FH2 definitely feels smoother (I guess its warm butter vs. ice cold butter ;) ).

Edit - that's not to say DC isn't smooth, if you never play them both you won't notice, DC is in no way poor in smoothness/framerate.

Caddle

You're not the only one, dude. I don't know if it's a horrible looking GIF of FH2 or something, but DC just looks so much better

It's not just the wet road, the lighting, environmental detail and car all look much better in DC
Well that is a very compressed gif and the view if the car is the 2 selectable view further away from the car. The first selectable view allow you to see the driver and engine bay, also the time of day look early morning after the rain stop falllinf so the track would be more reflective after. In DC the time of day look midday while it's raining. Trust me the games don't look generations apart. Also they are parts of the countryside that have as much detail as the DC shit, take a look at storm island to see what am talking about.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
FH2's wet roads just don't look right. Maybe it's a shader related thing, I find DC easily topping it.

1X26CmD.gif

X1Rf3mk.gif

Night races in the rain in FH2 are horrible. Especially at the start - the other cars are just lit really weirdly and look badly superimposed on the track, like they're floating.

Storm island is quite nice though - the animated trees blowing in the wind, and the much heavier rain. Still doesn't accumulate on the windscreen though.

Dargor

Pretty sure DC has it wrong here, I'm 90% sure on the 430 the inner light is on with the headlamps and the brake lights are on the outside.

What is there to be wrong here? Both games brake lights are on the outside.

The only difference between the two are the headlights, they are turned on in forza and off in DC.

Thats why I said on conoles it will run at 60fps and will look much like it does in those shots (I am running it at 1080p on high settings - system: x5650, gtx670, 12gb ram, 70-80fps).

It would be nice if they get the rain effect looking a bit better, but really, the game plays amazing and thats what matters.

It looks really good actually, much nicer than Forza, here it is in motion: http://youtu.be/L8xyWn7mdJM

Although I can't pick between Assetto and pCars, they are both looking so good and they drive really well.

that actually looks worse than forza 5.

I kind of remember a friend of mine droning on about different rear/tail light configurations between US and European versions of the same car.

you could be right. would make sense based on all the "wrongness" ive observed.
I think you can see how messed up it can look when you see trees in the reflections (from road surfaces int eh rain from taht vid) popping up in an LOD-like fashion.

While it does work well for stuff that is off screen, looks like they fucked up in the believability department.

I think you can see how messed up it can look when you see trees in the reflections (from road surfaces int eh rain from taht vid) popping up in an LOD-like fashion.

While it does work well for stuff that is off screen, looks like they fucked up in the believability department.

yeah, they pop in and out of place, and often the angle is incorrect. also driving through tunnels still reflects an environment that isnt on screen. ive also never seen SSR rendered at such a low resoluton that you can actually count the jaggies, but im not sure if this actually means anything wrt it being SSR or not.

Jomjom

Banned
Totally different kind of games, but man P1podcast was not kidding when they said FH2 looks kind of cartoon-like compared to DC now. I mean everything graphics wise basically looks 1 generation behind.

Javin98

Banned
Well that is a very compressed gif and the view if the car is the 2 selectable view further away from the car. The first selectable view allow you to see the driver and engine bay, also the time of day look early morning after the rain stop falllinf so the track would be more reflective after. In DC the time of day look midday while it's raining. Trust me the games don't look generations apart. Also they are parts of the countryside that have as much detail as the DC shit, take a look at storm island to see what am talking about.
Well, I never said generational leap myself. I was replying to the poster who said that but I agreed with his statement though I wouldn't really call it 'generational' just massive. And to be fair, both GIF's look very compressed. But can we agree DC's weather effects are much better than FH2?

Javin98

Banned
I think pCars uses geometry doubling and dynamic cubemaps. No SSR from anything I have ever seen.

But then again, I do not own the game to test for typical SSR errors.
Is this technique cheaper than SSR? If not, it seems almost pointless to implement while looking worse. Perhaps it is used as reserve for the true SSR that will be present in the final game?

Peterpan

They add some stuff, they take something out. Forza 5 is completely stripped down compared to FM4, the economy is screwed up, the career is extremely repetitive, even worse that previous versions. The only guys that deserve praise for FM5 is physics team and audio team, those were the best parts of the game and a massive leap forward. Everyone else on the team didn't give a damn about the final product.
I won't defend the game, but they basically added autovista to every car, remodeled the tracks, to say they didn't care is completely ignorant. They on a 2 year dev cycle, we will talk again when Forza 6 comes out.

CozMick

Banned
Did Turn 10 ever get the F40 model corrected? It was always wrong.

Maybe Ferrari are trolling them with both the 430 and F40 being incorrect.

Caddle

Totally different kind of games, but man P1podcast was not kidding when they said FH2 looks kind of cartoon-like compared to DC now. I mean everything graphics wise basically looks 1 generation behind.
So your going off someone saying that and not playing the game for yourself.

You need to play more F5, the car models and environments are a lot better in pCars, and I am a big fan of F5, but you kidding yourself to say it looks better than pCars.

cars yes, everything else no. heres the video in the post i was replying to

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L8xyWn7mdJM&feature=youtu.be

random forza 5 video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ltNAsjyOCrY

its sad that f5(a rushed launch title at that) looks better and even has better IQ than what hes able to achieve in PCARS on a gpu nearly twice as powerful as whats in the xbone.

1X26CmD.gif

X1Rf3mk.gif

The wet environments in Driveclub really look a cut above anything you can find in FH2 (I haven't played the expansion yet), that's one area in which I hope Playground implements some significant improvements.

On the other hand, I really dislike how rain and snow stick to the screen regardless of your chosen perspective. It ruins the good job accomplished elsewhere. I also don't entirely like how the effects look in the cockpit view. While I appreciate the fluid physics on the windshield, the effect looks overdone, like there's some oil mixed with that water. The droplets are also too big, and too pronounced. At the same time, FH2's windshield effects look too subdued, even during the most violent rainstorms (again, I haven't touched the expansion yet so I can't comment on any potential improvements). My ideal would be somewhere in-between Driveclub's and FH2's implementations.

Another thing I dislike about Driveclub is the starfield effect while driving at night, especially when snowing. That should be much more subtle, with perhaps more vignetting going on. FH2 is once again too subdued in that regard, although in this case I'd actually take that insufficiently pronounced effect over Driveclub's showing off.

(EDIT: Actually, scratch that, watching the comparison video, the night driving effect in FH2 looks exactly how I'd want it to look, it's just lacking in the interaction with the windshield.)

But yeah, Driveclub looks leagues ahead overall, mostly thanks to the superb work on the environments.

IKizzLE

So your going off someone saying that and not playing the game for yourself.

Do you have to play two games to figure out which looks better? It's all visual, youtube/gamersyde/any hosting site should suffice.

If he said one has a better handling model than the other, then your statement might seem more appropriate.

ShamePain

Banned
I won't defend the game, but they basically added autovista to every car, remodeled the tracks, to say they didn't care is completely ignorant. They on a 2 year dev cycle, we will talk again when Forza 6 comes out.

Yeah, I wasn't talking about cars/tracks mind you, though the majority of cars don't have full autovista, and on-track lighting is so far away from autovista, it's not even funny, the disconnect never fails to surprise in a bad way, when I start up the game. Also I find the track lighting uglier than Forza 4 in many cases, TopGear Test Track, Alps, Silverstone all look horrible because of overcast conditions and the lighting engine just flat out sucks during these and can't handle them at all. Other tracks are ruined by in your face low sun with goddamn godrays filling the screen. Such an ugly and unreal effect.

MaLDo

Project CARS is the most advanced old gen game with a new coat of technology applied in physics, AI (number of cars..) ... that can be played at great IQ and framerate bruteforcing the engine.

Driveclub is the perfect example of current gen lighting system and visual effects that maybe lacks in AI, car damage, IQ and framerate.

Taking account visuals, Driveclub is a gen ahead of PCARS. In IQ, PCARS can be a gen ahead of DC if you have the right computer. About fun, it depends of what you want.

For me, the perfect combo could be DC visuals with PCARS framerate/IQ/physics.

Sipheren

Banned
Yikes.

Looks like i dont have any reason to get PCars now that I have DC.

Unless you actually want a racing sim, which is the only reason you would go for something like pCARS anyway.

I just did a quick comparison of Forza and pCARS. Forza is a good looking game but I feel like the lighting and models in pCARS make it look more realistic.

http://youtu.be/xvk3VXVtjRs

Either way, DC is by far the best looking driving game to date, and should be when running at 30fps with decent hardware.

Top Bottom