• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next Super Smash Bros. discussion thread, Community Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't like that either, but then I think that's a problem with a lot of Brawl's stages in general and not just NPC. I'm still kind of disappointed in the Halberd stage.

Frankly, I agree with this a lot. There's a ton of stages that seem kinda half-assedly made to me.
Brawl brought some of the worst stages generally, as well; we got stupid stuff like 75m which after playing on it once lost its novelty VERY quickly.

BTW, love your new avatar, Onishiba is one of my favorite characters from that series (which is also why I used that as a nick on Smashboards for a while :p).

Quackula

I don't much care for Fourside either, those buildings were too small to fight on and Melee has the ever irritating situation of going to roll or shield when near an edge only to get nudged slightly as you press the button leading to mid air dodge death right next to the stage, Fourside was like the home of that occurrence for me.
Also Ness' own recovery is hilariously buggered in parts of that stage, home field disadvantage.

Melee has this really odd scale issue with its stages and I seem to be the only one who notices it. I mean take any stage with a door in the background (Fourside is one of them) and compare the size of said door to the character models. The characters are HUGE compared to them.

Heck just compare the size of Corneria to Sector Z from Smash 64. Corneria is WAY smaller. It's really really odd and I don't know why everything is like that.

Ryce

You know, for as much as I love Smash Bros. -- it's my favorite game series -- I couldn't possibly care less about the stages. The roster is all that truly excites me.

Melee has this really odd scale issue with its stages and I seem to be the only one who notices it. I mean take any stage with a door in the background (Fourside is one of them) and compare the size of said door to the character models. The characters are HUGE compared to them.

Heck just compare the size of Corneria to Sector Z from Smash 64. Corneria is WAY smaller. It's really really odd and I don't know why everything is like that.
Oh i've noticed that as well, Fourside is really noticeable on the helipad in particular.
Then with Brawl shrinking the Melee stages further it's just kind of ridiculous to look at.

You know, for as much as I love Smash Bros. -- it's my favorite game series -- I couldn't possibly care less about the stages. The roster is all that truly excites me.

As much as i've loved all 3 games I often forget them when i'm asked about my favourite games of all time despite putting more hours into Melee and Brawl than most other games.
I still feel as if i'm waiting on the near perfect entry before finally acknowledging its place in my favourites list.

Frankly, I agree with this a lot. There's a ton of stages that seem kinda half-assedly made to me.
Brawl brought some of the worst stages generally, as well; we got stupid stuff like 75m which after playing on it once lost its novelty VERY quickly.

BTW, love your new avatar, Onishiba is one of my favorite characters from that series (which is also why I used that as a nick on Smashboards for a while :p).

Yeah, it's not like Melee didn't have its share of gimmick stages, but Brawl's were just less fun to fight on. 75m and Mario Bros. were annoying to play compared to Poke Floats or Big Blue (although I do love the look of the former two). Then there were a few levels that had cool ideas, but they were executed in really annoying ways (like how winning microgames in the WarioWare stage could straight-up give you a starman, that was too much)

But the levels that annoy me the most are ones like New Pork City, Halberd, and Smashville, where the levels just feel like "platforms in front of a themed background". I think I would rather have those stages be annoying gimmick stages than what they are now. To be honest, I feel like this is sort of symptomatic of Brawl's biggest issue, which is that it seems like the developers focused more on putting in tons of fanservice and content than they did on the combat system and level design. I'm glad they went as far as they did with the fanservice stuff because I seriously eat that up, but I think Melee has more longevity as a multiplayer game as a result.

Thanks for the avatar compliment. It was actually Neoriceisgood who made this and he did a pretty sweet job. I'm actually not really into the series at all, but I think Onishiba has a really cool design.

I get what you're saying but I don't know if I totally agree. I also mainly just go to Smash Bros. forums to discuss what characters will get in - I don't have much to say when it comes to stage wishlists or mechanics discussions - but when you actually have the game in your system, the roster is just one part of the total package. I don't think this topic would exist if Smash Bros. wasn't fun to play on top of having great fanservice, and stage design is a part of gameplay too.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
They're MangaGAF avatars so I'm guessing you won't get one unless you are a regular.

Only reason I brought up Fourside was that I wanted an Earthbound a Mother stage to replace a Mother stage and that's the only custom stage I've seen fulfilling that criteria. Yeah, I prefer Onett as a stage back in Melee.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
They're MangaGAF avatars so I'm guessing you won't get one unless you are a regular.

Only reason I brought up Fourside was that I wanted an Earthbound a Mother stage to replace a Mother stage and that's the only custom stage I've seen fulfilling that criteria. Yeah, I prefer Onett as a stage back in Melee.

I'm newcomer for Manga Discussion. I have been lurkers for long time becasue I'm not that great with expressing my feelings about manga so I always kept it short and sweet lately.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
But at least you posted before. I couldn't get away with going in there and asking for an Akari avatar. Besides all I'm currently reading in One Punch Man and stuff that is better left unmentioned.

He needs to come over to the anime side HA HA HA.

This is a thing in all of the Smash Bros. games, Melee is hardly the only offender. Hyrule Castle's roof is way smaller than it is in OOT, Delfino Plaza is really, really scaled down (almost certainly the reason that it's completely void of citizens), etc. Even the Great Fox in Sector Z, as large as it was, was still much too small.

I think I would just chalk it up to balance, the stages are scaled to how well they fit the flow of the game, not necessarily to follow strict canon (they didn't succeed in a few, but that's the idea).

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
He's a shiba inu dog. ;)
The anime is called Onmyou Taisenki. It's a show more targeted at younger people, but I still found it enjoyable.

And they pretty much
kill any character who isn't the two tigers
. A shame because the dog was cool
but was offed
:p

He's saying that he'll draw you a Geno avatar.

ibz8PwS339Ta1c.gif

And there I was going to request a Mewtwo avatar...

I'll probably start doing Smash avatars as the first trailer/dojo/whatever comes out,
anything that gets confirmed, I'll pixel.

Maybe I'll do some unconfirmed runner-ups though, I don't know yet. I do know that I'll start my smash pixel project around the time we get actual visual news.

Your art is so good, Neorice :)

Preemptive dibs on whatever Pokémon/EBA/Rhythm Heaven character gets confirmed first!

Oh, and Hades. Yes, definitely Hades.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I'd want to get the Wolf pixelly art if it comes out but I wonder how I'd fit it with my muscley avatars.

Anth0ny

New Pork City is way too open to be a good "big" level. Temple was good because you had the top area and then the House of Pain right under it. And even with the size of the level, the Ceiling Kill Zone wasn't too far up from the top side. New Pork City is big for the sake of being big, with no real thought put into how hard it is to chase someone down and KO them.

Basically. Hyrule Temple is one of the best stages in Melee. Pork City is unarguably the worst in Brawl.

Kokonoe

Banned
Been playing with my main puff, Jiggles, and I was kinda curious to what exactly the Down B attack is. Jigglypuff goes to sleep and if you're near your opponent, you send them flying with an explosion, is this a move in Pokemon?

That's Rest, and it is technically a move in Pokemon, though it doesn't harm your opponent--it causes the Pokemon who uses it to fall asleep but heals them to full health.

That's Rest, and it is technically a move in Pokemon, though it doesn't harm your opponent--it causes the Pokemon who uses it to fall asleep but heals them to full health.
Well, it might harm your opponent in Pokémon if your Pokémon could get inside your opponent's before resting.

Anth0ny

Been playing with my main puff, Jiggles, and I was kinda curious to what exactly the Down B attack is. Jigglypuff goes to sleep and if you're near your opponent, you send them flying with an explosion, is this a move in Pokemon?

It's rest.

But it's nothing like rest in the games, besides the fact that you go to sleep. I wonder who's idea it was to make your opponent explode lol

SmithnCo

Yeah, like said, Rest is a move but it's completely changed in Smash. It never harms your opponent like that, it would have probably made more sense to have it be a recovery move or something, but that's less hype.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
I want Doshin the Giant stuff in the game.

Been listening to the soundtrack lately.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom