• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next Super Smash Bros. discussion thread, Community Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mewtwo_gif_2_by_MirraW301.gif

J-Tier

But he looks like Giygas in MOTHER. :(

ngbbs4d81f9be3d28d.gif

I wanna see a modern Earthbound =(

Though I really don't care about Mewtwo, there's a point with the Mother comment, there is some history, and there are some connections between Mother and Pokemon. If you wanna look at it that way, Mewtwo is one of the remnants of the "predecessor".

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I forgot that even hinting to the fact that Brawl isn't a sacrilege and that Melee isn't the greatest gift on God's green Earth is a sin to hardcore Melee fans. Never again.

qq more

Most Smash Bros fans are annoying as fuck to be honest. Not saying it's any of you guys though,
except for that one person but we shall not say the name!

I don't know, I've been playing Melee lately and I think it's a better game than Brawl. Brawl is better in the fanservice department, and almost all of my favorite characters are only in Brawl, but I think Melee's engine is a lot better.

I used to like both games equally. :|
Though all the spiteful Melee fans have made me really REALLY hate Melee just because people who are big fans of it apparently turn into fucktards.

I forgot that even hinting to the fact that Brawl isn't a sacrilege and that Melee isn't the greatest gift on God's green Earth is a sin to hardcore Melee fans. Never again.

You went straight into the lions den so to speak for that one, you crazy death wisher you!
Tournament players aren't the majority of smash fans, while having their side of the game rather unnecessarily dumbed down is pretty shitty it's much worse when they throw their toys out of the pram at every single possible opportunity, if they can't enjoy Brawl then by gum no one will, see every single past and future SSB thread.

I do think Melee has the gameplay edge myself but Brawl's Character lineup and to a lesser extent stage selection just about takes it home, I actually view both games as incredibly close in quality, but you know Melee's more extreme fans make me forget this at times.

qq more

I'm fine with people preferring Melee to Brawl. Honestly, I like 64 and Melee's physics more than Brawl's but Brawl is still my fav because of the crazy amount of fun content it has (SSE was shit though). I'm even fine if they didn't enjoy Brawl.

What I'm not fine with is the pathetic hyperbole against Brawl. I mean seriously, you get people saying it's "unplayable" for whatever stupid reason. I guess they've never played an actual bad game before.

I prefer Brawl's lineup, but Mêlée's stages. Maybe its soundtrack, too; less variety, but day orchestra; the similar pieces from Brawl sound so much more artificial. Also the SP modes...

And of course tourney players aren't that majority, but some of them are so egotistical, claiming to be the only ones that matter, that I wouldn't try holding any meaningful conversation with them; it'd be like a Democrat trying to hold a discussion with a convention's worth of hardcore Tea Partiers.

I don't doubt that there are a lot of asshats at tourneys too, but my experience with Smash Bros. forums is that there are just as many people online who are incredibly dismissive of competitive SSB and go on and on about how playing without items is ruining the game or whatever.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
<hipster>

I prefer 64's physics and sound effects more than the sterilized version of Melee's.

</hipster>

And I prefer the character and character "creation" of Brawl :p

McNum

<hipster>

I prefer 64's physics and sound effects more than the sterilized version of Melee's.

</hipster>

And I prefer the character and character "creation" of Brawl :p
You know, yeah. The original Smash had a fun physics engine. And the hitsounds were very over the top in a good way. Plus throws were more finishing moves than used to set up combos, which made it easier to get a KO against a defensive opponent. I kind of want to see the new Smash go back towards the original a bit. Don't go all hyperactive like Melee again, and try to keep the physics glitches to a minimum. The real trick for a Smash game design is to make sure that speed isn't everything. If a character is slow, it should have something that lets it draw in fast ones or an offensive or defensive advantage of sorts. Make Fox fear Donkey Kong. Make Marth worry about Bowser. But at the same time, make Sonic a threat once he gets going.

I still prefer the character lineup of Brawl, though I miss Pichu from Melee and a little Mewtwo (who, yes, should have been the Pokémon Trainer's Final Smash and just have been allowed to be as broken as Mewtwo should be), but the inclusion of Sonic really sets Brawl as my favorite Smash. You can make Mario fight Sonic. What more could you want?

Well, a decent online code would be nice, actually. Let's hope the new Smash gets to use the Tekken Tag Tournament 2 code. That'd be a major benefit from having Namco involved. They know fighting game online code.

ffdgh

I prefer melee sound effects and the nosie characters made when they were sent flying across the screen.

I don't know they just sound more powerful
KuGsj.gif

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Thing is I didn't say which version was better just that when a section of fans makes a mod for the same section of fans of course it going to be what that section of fans want. However it may not necessarily be what everyone wants and game developers want to target everyone and just not Jim and his six mates.

Oh and apparently I've been reading my business textbooks wrong all this time.

Have Mario fight RIDLEY.
Oh but you can!
in SSE.

Thing is I didn't say which version was better just that when a section of fans makes a mod for the same section of fans of course it going to be what that section of fans want. However it may not necessarily be what everyone wants and game developers want to target everyone and just not Jim and his six mates.

Oh and apparently I've been reading my business textbooks wrong all this time.

You've been sucked into one maddening world of rogue goalposts that have somehow come to life and are now leaping all over the place, all because you said something completely inoffensive that was the apparently one of the most outlandish statements ever seen on this forum.

The whole changes talk has got me thinking, you know one change that I love in Brawl? a greater area to snap to ledges, overall improved recovery and the ability to grab ledges when facing the wrong way, i'm sure that this is considered a horrid criminal offence to team melee because it reduces their edgehogging game or something, you know that's fine if they do in fact feel that way but that doesn't make it an incorrect choice, not every change was good, but not every change was bad either, but you know heaven forbid something upset the perceived perfect balance of the past.

The funniest thing to me about the whole argument is that i've always felt that fundamentally SSBB was too similar to melee on the whole (even with its different physics), as such i'm hoping for SSB4 or 3DS to move further beyond the established formula in some ways.
But i've seen people equate the move from Melee to Brawl as similar to the old Tomb Raider games heading in their current cinematic and Uncharted like direction so I don't really know what to say anymore.

But i've seen people equate the move from Melee to Brawl as similar to the old Tomb Raider games heading in their current cinematic and Uncharted like direction so I don't really know what to say anymore.
I dunno, I liked Legend and Anniversary. Controlled great. The original tank controls have their charms, but on the whole they're antiquated as shit.

I dunno, I liked Legend and Anniversary. Controlled great. The original tank controls have their charms, but on the whole they're antiquated as shit.

Well by old I meant the entries like Anniversary being compared to its upcoming change in style to New Tomb Raider "You'll want to protect her" edition and all of that jazz.
And hell this isn't even about controls, it's about the new game direction, it's quite a shift it would seem, hence why Melee to Brawl being compared to it regarding fan outcry left me rather perplexed but oh well.

This is from my own real-life experience, not saying it reflects reality, it's just anecdotal.

"64 is the best" = Hipsters that would probably start a religion dedicated to Banjo and Kazooie.

"Melee is the best" = Pseudo-intellectuals that borderline jack-it to their own posts on reddit and fire off memes in public

"Brawl is the best" = Everyone else.

The whole changes talk has got me thinking, you know one change that I love in Brawl? a greater area to snap to ledges, overall improved recovery and the ability to grab ledges when facing the wrong way, i'm sure that this is considered a horrid criminal offence to team melee because it reduces their edgehogging game or something, you know that's fine if they do in fact feel that way but that doesn't make it an incorrect choice, not every change was good, but not every change was bad either, but you know heaven forbid something upset the perceived perfect balance of the past.

I'd say this was a bad change--it's one of many changes to the physics that make it way too hard to die.

The fundamental difference that separates Smash from other fighters is the method of killing--it's not entirely about how much you damage your opponents, but by how you manage to get them off the stage. There's a lot of dynamics here at play--launch angle, your opponent's recovery, accumulated damage, the stage boundaries themselves, etc.

By making it easier to recover in nearly every single facet (ridiculous ledge-grab distance, nearly every single character possessing really good recovery abilities, floatiness allowing you to simply float back to the stage with many characters, etc.) many of the previous dynamics are more or less rendered moot, to the point that characters survive for so long in Brawl that nearly every death is caused by hitting the side or upwards blast zones due to having accrued too much damage. It's essentially homogenizing itself into a health bar based fighter--you pretty much only die from taking too much damage.

I would argue the ease of recovery in Brawl is anathema to Smash's very core. It should be a fight to get back to the stage. That's a big part of what makes Smash unique.

GamerSoul

Is this part of the cycle yet or what.

Melee vs Brawl? Has to be. lol

You know, yeah. The original Smash had a fun physics engine. And the hitsounds were very over the top in a good way. Plus throws were more finishing moves than used to set up combos, which made it easier to get a KO against a defensive opponent. I kind of want to see the new Smash go back towards the original a bit. Don't go all hyperactive like Melee again, and try to keep the physics glitches to a minimum. The real trick for a Smash game design is to make sure that speed isn't everything. If a character is slow, it should have something that lets it draw in fast ones or an offensive or defensive advantage of sorts. Make Fox fear Donkey Kong. Make Marth worry about Bowser. But at the same time, make Sonic a threat once he gets going.

I think a part of the natural Smash balance is like what you described when items are turned on. With items randomly thrown into the mix Marth and Fox can fear a DK or a Bowser or whoever. When you take that away, a character's strengths and weaknesses are more visible.

Strangely enough, most of Brawl's additions seem to have been to counter Melee's depth which was visible in how control of your character has regressed. They took out directional air dodging, made the game slower, and even added tripping which affects the core gameplay even when you remove items. When I think about it, Sakurai kinda has put himself in tough spot by countering Melee in a way so maybe a new direction is needed for the next one. Hopefully it's a mix of what made Smash great in the first place like those hit fx and what not.

I still prefer the character lineup of Brawl, though I miss Pichu from Melee and a little Mewtwo (who, yes, should have been the Pokémon Trainer's Final Smash and just have been allowed to be as broken as Mewtwo should be), but the inclusion of Sonic really sets Brawl as my favorite Smash. You can make Mario fight Sonic. What more could you want?

Well, a decent online code would be nice, actually. Let's hope the new Smash gets to use the Tekken Tag Tournament 2 code. That'd be a major benefit from having Namco involved. They know fighting game online code.

Yep, for just by expanding the cast made me favor Brawl, I mean the characters is what it's about.

The funniest thing to me about the whole argument is that i've always felt that fundamentally SSBB was too similar to melee on the whole (even with its different physics), as such i'm hoping for SSB4 or 3DS to move further beyond the established formula in some ways.

I don't think Brawl is too similar to Melee (Melee was already amazing in terms of gameplay) but Sakurai should change up the formula. But please not at the expense of losing any characters. My biggest gripe though... It sucks we most likely will not be able to use the GC controller :( :( That GC controller was made for Smash, not the other way around! It's gonna suck. Knowing that, I know Smash won't be the same for me. lol

hao chi

I don't think Brawl is too similar to Melee (Melee was already amazing in terms of gameplay) but Sakurai should change up the formula. But please not at the expense of losing any characters. My biggest gripe though... It sucks we most likely will not be able to use the GC controller :( :( That GC controller was made for Smash, not the other way around! It's gonna suck. Knowing that, I know Smash won't be the same for me. lol

I think this might be the only thing every Smash Bros fan can agree on.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Am I the only one who doesn't like the GC controller? 2d movement + analog stick = bad.

You just haven't found a picture of Banjo muscly enough for you.

Nah, I hate the rare cast (see: banjo + animal, the jet force gemini characters, conker) because they have the stupid, stereotypical western cartoon look.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom