• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next Super Smash Bros. discussion thread, Community Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kokonoe

Banned
I've used PS3, 360, 360 MLG, CCP, Mad Catz Fight Pad (don't play this game on DPad), and although none of these controllers are as good as the Gamecube one for Smash, you can still get by just fine. You just have to map the buttons properly (Brawl lets you do this or you can do it for Melee in Dolphin)

on a CCP it'd be like this

A + X = Jump
Y = Special
B = Smash

So you can still use the GC layout on inferior Smash controllers! And I'll be trying to find a way to use a different controller or the Gamecube one on the Wii U, I know by the time Smash Bros. comes out someone will do it. Playing with the Game Pad/UProController just not going to do with that stick layout.

I'd say this was a bad change--it's one of many changes to the physics that make it way too hard to die.

The fundamental difference that separates Smash from other fighters is the method of killing--it's not entirely about how much you damage your opponents, but by how you manage to get them off the stage. There's a lot of dynamics here at play--launch angle, your opponent's recovery, accumulated damage, the stage boundaries themselves, etc.

By making it easier to recover in nearly every single facet (ridiculous ledge-grab distance, nearly every single character possessing really good recovery abilities, floatiness allowing you to simply float back to the stage with many characters, etc.) many of the previous dynamics are more or less rendered moot, to the point that characters survive for so long in Brawl that nearly every death is caused by hitting the side or upwards blast zones due to having accrued too much damage. It's essentially homogenizing itself into a health bar based fighter--you pretty much only die from taking too much damage.

I would argue the ease of recovery in Brawl is anathema to Smash's very core. It should be a fight to get back to the stage. That's a big part of what makes Smash unique.

See I think this helps my point, people value different things, how you feel about the recovery factor isn't wrong either, personally I much prefer a fight to finish more because of a high percentage finish with the "early" prevented recovery/spike related losses being rarer.

It's kind of amazing how many people I knew whose game plan for every melee match was to choose someone like Falco and spent half of the time trying to hit an early down air, the other half was knocking or throwing someone into position for it, yeah not my cup of tea thanks.

cant wait for the inevitable melee vs brawl vs SSB4 debates
Increased Variety!

Get practising with your CCPros.
Oh damn this is a good point, now i've transferred my save data it's all over for my GC controller.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Not that Western Cartoons are bad mind you - I generally consider them superior to anime. It's just that Rare's designs peter towards the "stereotype"/generic look of what animu fans and adults see towards Western toons.

Anyways... secret taunt for Pit in his Uprising stage? Yes, of course. All that banter in KIU is very deliciously well delivered.

GamerSoul

cant wait for the inevitable melee vs brawl vs SSB4 debates

On a positive note, it means they're all quality games that are worth discussing and playing for years. It's hard to believe Melee was released over a decade ago.

Am I the only one who doesn't like the GC controller? 2d movement + analog stick = bad.

The great thing about the GC controller:

GCcontroller.jpg

It has that octogonal rim around the analog stick so you will always be able to differentiate between all the directions so 2D movement is really no problem at all, imo. It worked really well in Melee. Also it's a but random but it really worked well with Soul Calibur 2's 8-way run system :3 Man I loved that game.

Get practising with your CCPros.

I guess you're right. It's either that or the new Pro controller that looks like the 360's. It seems pretty reasonable for Sakurai to build the game around that controller because Smash is built for playing longer periods of time. And the WiiU Pad can be used for certain modes, which could be cool, and the single player mode.

Do you guys think the 3DS will be able to take the punishment of hours of Smash? So many controllers have been lost to Smash. lol. Sakurai will probably take that into consideration also.

Quackula

Smash is the only 2D game that I'm okay with using an analog stick for.

Anyone here ever try playing Capcom vs SNK 2 on Gamecube with a normal GC controller? Horrible.

oh god so it'd be

64 VS MELEE VS BRAWL VS SSB4 3DS VS SSB4 WII U

fuck it let's make a smash bros game where you play as the GAMES in their box/case form

That would be amazing.
And it would put the Melee fans into a tight spot if the gameplay isn't a copy of Melee's (which is about 99.999~% likely). Because it isn't Melee, but they can beat up Brawl AS Melee. That would probably cause some blown minds.

Ryce

Brawl fifth anniversary Nintendo Direct on January 31 with SSB4 debut trailer. The game's been in the works since springtime. The first Brawl trailer was shown after only six months of development.

Could you imagine?

Guys I did a sad thing by accident. I accidentally got the "beat event 51 without dying" achievement because I was messing around with the Master Hand glitch. Now I will never get all the messages legitimately, and I was so close to finally getting all the trophies.

Javier

Teaser: Super Smash Bros. Chicken Fight

Followed by Link fist-fighting a giant Cucco through the fields of Hyrule for ten straight minutes.

GamerSoul

Guys I did a sad thing by accident. I accidentally got the "beat event 51 without dying" achievement because I was messing around with the Master Hand glitch. Now I will never get all the messages legitimately, and I was so close to finally getting all the trophies.

Heh nice, it's pretty cool that you were able to get it while being Master Hand though.

Teaser: Super Smash Bros. Chicken Fight

Followed by Link fist-fighting a giant Cucco through the fields of Hyrule for ten straight minutes.

lol. Something about that reminded me of the orignal smash bros. commercial where they randomly started fighting. They should really do that again.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
They really need to create unique "Cinematic Trailers" for every character reveal like they did for, say, Tekken vs. Street Fighter. I watched those yesterday and they were pretty sweet, imagine Smash Trailers done in that style.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
They really need to create unique "Cinematic Trailers" for every character reveal like they did for, say, Tekken vs. Street Fighter. I watched those yesterday and they were pretty sweet, imagine Smash Trailers done in that style.

That would be awesome. I love how they announced MVC3, SSF4 and SF x TK characters, along with cinematic trailers.

Super Smash Bros

Super Smash Bros Melee

Super Smash Bros Brawl

Super Smash Bros 4

Street Fighter 4 Trailers

Super Street Fighter 4 Trailers

Super Street Fighter 4 Arcade Edition Trailer

Marvel Vs. Capcom 3

Ultimate Marvel Vs. Capcom 3

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Depends... imagine Japan time with character trailers

Welp... I'm screwed.

I'm going to add TTT2, TvC and several games trailers later, since I really hope that Sakurai is going with characters reveal trailers since it's the hype for fighting games. I wouldn't be surprised if Sakurai chose not to.

GamerSoul

Hopefully some of Namco Bandai's marketing techniques/hype building will rub off on Sakurai. A character trailer would easily be a better option for introducing characters compared to those random screenshots that have been coupled with awkwardly translated captions. >.> But if the dojo was stressful as it looked, I can't imagine him being able to work in trailers at this point since we have no info. It would definitely a missed opportunity because a game of this magnitude should really be given every avenue needed to create hype and interest.

The one thing that got people hyped for Brawl were the bits of SSE being shown. I think kinda sorta like the MvC3 trailers, if there's going to be another epic, cutscene-filled story mode, they should work in certain characters' cutscenes into the trailers.

In all honesty I don't care much for trailers as long as they can have an intro as epic as Melee again, I could watch that intro all day. And yet while Brawl's intro sucks, I can still watch that debut trailer all day. I think they should have just kept with that and just added a few more "scenes" of introducing the newcomers.

Mariolee

Just played Brawl with my friends. Still so much goddamn fun. It's easy to pick up so casual gamers will get into it, but the hardcore gamers will just unleash all of their fury. But some of the stages are so fucking brutal. For example, I got Ganondorf in the moving DK stage and I suicided all three lives. :(

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Just played Brawl with my friends. Still so much goddamn fun. It's easy to pick up so casual gamers will get into it, but the hardcore gamers will just unleash all of their fury. But some of the stages are so fucking brutal. For example, I got Ganondorf in the moving DK stage and I suicided all three lives. :(

I will never complain about those stages in Brawl.. Playstation Battle Royale had it worse, imo.

Granted, those moving stages are a nightmare even for more mobile characters. Especially the DK one with its fucking spikes.

On the subject of stages, what's the general opinion here on huge levels? Temple is one of my favorite levels across all three games but as a huge Mother 3 fan, I'm disappointed that New Pork City is so lame in comparison.

Kokonoe

Banned
On the subject of stages, what's the general opinion here on huge levels? Temple is one of my favorite levels across all three games but as a huge Mother 3 fan, I'm disappointed that New Pork City is so lame in comparison.

Temple is my favorite level aside from Final Destination. I actually like the big levels cause it gives you more room to do stuff, it's better for 4 players, and you are a bit more free to do more things.

New Pork City? That level is probably my least liked level in Smash Bros. The platforms are too small for fighting, a lot of it is more cumbersome since you have to climb up the platforms to get to certain spots, and of course that pink monster randomly popping out isn't too fun for me.

It's all over the place and too random for my tastes. Another level I don't really like is Rainbow Cruise, but least the song is good.

ffdgh

new pork city is too darn big and unorganized and having to play that crappy stage in classic mode vs 15 ness/lucas on higher difficultys is unbareable.

Kokonoe

Banned
I wonder how they are going to incorporate Miiverse with Smash? "You just lost an online match, do you want to tell everyone?"

Probably more like "You just won an online match without losing any lives! Tell your friends about it?"

I like Hyrule Temple a decent amount, but New Pork City never did anything for me. Actually, it annoys me that older stages are strictly verboten from being used in Classic Mode, because it'd be much nicer to face Ness down on Onett (and frankly, the included Melee stages are pretty much all on the better end of of the set, even if I kinda think Pokémon Stadium and Brinstar are redundant with Pokémon Stadium 2 and Norfair, respectively, and would've rather seen Poké Floats and Brinstar Depths).

Incidentally, I went listening to Brawl's soundtrack again. While I still have to say that Mêlée had better orchestral tunes, I do like the variety Brawl had.

Yo I actually had a temple-related question!

In Melee it was totally my favourite stage of the forever but in
Brawl both Temple and New Pork City feel .. odd to me?

I was always curious as I don't own melee myself, but is the
camera handled differently or something? Maybe It's just my own mind
decieving me but I never figured out what changed.

The Melee levels are slightly smaller in Brawl, aren't they? Maybe that's part of it.

It really hurts some melee stages for me, to the point in fact I rarely use them in Brawl which is a shame as Pokemon Stadium 1, Corneria and Temple were always some of my favourites.

New Pork City is an absolute mess, the stage doesn't even feel right, it's too visible as a bunch of oddly set out blocks sitting in front of a background, I know the whole deal about NPC is that it's one big facade with most of the buildings being mere props but they could've done so much better here.

I don't like that either, but then I think that's a problem with a lot of Brawl's stages in general and not just NPC. I'm still kind of disappointed in the Halberd stage.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
They need to make a new Halberd Stage where you're on the actual ship most of the time, and it's vertical like the original Star Fox level in Smash 64.

And have Metal Lobster come out and attack the players!

New Pork City is way too open to be a good "big" level. Temple was good because you had the top area and then the House of Pain right under it. And even with the size of the level, the Ceiling Kill Zone wasn't too far up from the top side. New Pork City is big for the sake of being big, with no real thought put into how hard it is to chase someone down and KO them.

New Pork City is way too open to be a good "big" level. Temple was good because you had the top area and then the House of Pain right under it. And even with the size of the level, the Ceiling Kill Zone wasn't too far up from the top side. New Pork City is big for the sake of being big, with no real thought put into how hard it is to chase someone down and KO them.

This is all true, i'm also now thinking of calling your House of Pain the Hall of Pain from now on because someone's gonna get their wig split down there.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
New Pork City is terrible. Almost tempted to download Project M just to rip out that Fourside import to replace it.

I don't much care for Fourside either, those buildings were too small to fight on and Melee has the ever irritating situation of going to roll or shield when near an edge only to get nudged slightly as you press the button leading to mid air dodge death right next to the stage, Fourside was like the home of that occurrence for me.
Also Ness' own recovery is hilariously buggered in parts of that stage, home field disadvantage.

Still better than NPC of course.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom