• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next Super Smash Bros. discussion thread, Community Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

spanks

Needs the following stages

Metroid
Artifact Temple
Sanctuary Fortress

DK
Gangplank Galleon
Snow Barrel Blast
Bramble Scramble

Nice picks. I'll add:

Metroid
Crateria (Outside, in the acid rain, with Samus' ship)
Wrecked Ship (Jamming doors, sparks, maybe a little water section)

DK
Krazy Kremland
Gusty Glade
Kannon's Klaim

Although Gangplank Galleon is unbeatable. It'd be cool if they could fit in some of the upper sections of the ship from the second level. Maybe even the hold section underneath.

I was wondering, what third parties are likeliest to lend their characters to Nintendo for a Smash game? I'm not asking for a fan perspective, I'm asking for a company perspective, either based on guesses or actual company experience. Are Konami and Sega likely to lend Sonic and Snake again? Is Square likely to lend anyone? What about Ubisoft lending an assassin, or hell, maybe LucasArts lending Darth Vader and Yoda again?

Nintendo has close working relationships with most of the major Japanese publishers, so their characters are all quite possible. It's all up to Sakurai though, last time he only included Sonic and Snake because their creators specifically asked for it. But who knows, maybe he's changed his stance since then?

In order of likelihood, assuming Sakurai is more open about asking, I'd go:

Sega (Sonic) - Mario & Sonic at the Olympics crossovers, made F-Zero GX
Capcom (Megaman) - Continuous exclusives like Resi and Monster Hunter, made 3 Zeldas
Namco (Pacman) - Made Starfox Assault, Pacman Vs, & Mario Kart GP, Triforce Arcade hardware w/Sega, Link in SC2
Tecmo (Ryu) - Made Metroid Other M, Samus in DOA
Square-Enix (Black Mage) - Various crossovers like Mario Sports and Fortune Street, Dragon Quest exclusive
Konami (Simon/Bomberman/Snake) - Collaborated on Twin Snakes, featured Bomberman in Wario Blast
Ubisoft (Rayman) - Helping with Wii U online, multiple launch exclusives

Also, I should mention Suda 51 requested Travis Touchdown, so take that as you will.

Nice picks. I'll add:

Metroid
Crateria (Outside, in the acid rain, with Samus' ship)
Wrecked Ship (Jamming doors, sparks, maybe a little water section)

DK
Krazy Kremland
Gusty Glade
Kannon's Klaim

Although Gangplank Galleon is unbeatable. It'd be cool if they could fit in some of the upper sections of the ship from the second level. Maybe even the hold section underneath.

Gangplank Galleon could work like the Fire Emblem stage in Brawl switching between the three levels of ship mast, ship deck and ship hold with the standard stage theme being a medley of the three stage themes.
Though the Gusty Glade/Enchanted Wood idea is pretty good as well, throw in the wind and ghost ropes as things that can potentially hinder or help recovery.
As for one idea from myself, The factory from DKCR is both a nice link to the jungle environments (visible outside through windows and cracked walls in some areas) and construction site theme of the arcade or arcade inspired games, that and it's the best world in DKCR with great level gimmicks that could be used in a stage itself.

Metroid has so much potential for a great stage, all I ask is that we get an exterior location from the Prime trilogy.

DKC has so many great ideas for stages, it always amazes me how DK gets stuck with generic or unplayable stages.

Gusty Glade, Bramble Scramble, any of the bee hive stages, pretty much any of the final stages. I'd play any of them to death.

Honestly, Smash should just get a good quality stage editor with as many retro stage tilesets and stuff thrown.

leroidys

I count Famicom War/Advance Wars as the games developed by Intelligent Systems of which there are six (Famicom Wars, Super Famicom Wars, Advance Wars, Advance Wars 2, Advance Wars: Dual Strike, Advance Wars: Days of Ruin).

There is little demand for a character from this series, as well as from the fact that the COs don't actually fight, they simply command nameless units to do their bidding.

Well, sorry, but that doesn't make any sense. There are 15 titles with the Famicom Wars name in Japan, it doesn't matter who they were developed by. It is one of nintendo's longest running series:

1988 Famicom Wars Family Computer
1990 Game Boy Wars Game Boy
1997 Game Boy Wars Turbo Game Boy
1997 Game Boy Wars Turbo Famitsu Version Game Boy
1998 Super Famicom Wars Super Famicom
1998 Super Famicom Wars BS Ban Tsukinowa-jima Super Famicom/Satellaview
1998 Game Boy Wars 2 Game Boy/Game Boy Color
2001 Game Boy Wars 3 Game Boy Color
2001, 2002 Game Boy Wars Advance / Advance Wars Game Boy Advance
2003 Game Boy Wars Advance 2 / Advance Wars 2: Black Hole Rising Game Boy Advance
2004 Game Boy Wars Advance 1+2 Game Boy Advance
2005 Famicom Wars DS / Advance Wars: Dual Strike Nintendo DS
2005 Battalion Wars / Totsugeki!! Famicom Wars Nintendo GameCube
2008 Battalion Wars 2 / Totsugeki!! Famicom Wars VS Wii
2008 Famicom Wars DS Ushinawareta Hikari / Advance Wars: Days of Ruin Nintendo DS

I specifically said in my post that there is not a huge amount of demand for a character from the series, but we've seen time and time again that demand can often be only a small part for what qualifies a character for Smash - look at Captain Falcon, Mr. G & W, Rob, and Ice Climbers. What would qualify Famicom Wars is its history. It is only one year younger than Zelda or Mario, and has been on every system except for 64 and VB.

Anyway, we'll probably just get 3 more Star Fox chararacters, 3 more kirby Characters, and 3 more Kid Icarus characters and they'll call it good so it's a moot point.

It'll be awesome if they pick Sami and not Andy. Really anyone except Andy.

I really dislike him.

You'll get Jake complete with "get the plates 'cause you just got served" and such other horrible lines.
Hmm I may make a roster at some point, i'm not sure whether I should do...
- What I would want
- What I actually expect
- A mixture of the two
That last one seems like the best bet.

Well, sorry, but that doesn't make any sense. There are 15 titles with the Famicom Wars name in Japan, it doesn't matter who they were developed by. It is one of nintendo's longest running series:

1988 Famicom Wars Family Computer
1990 Game Boy Wars Game Boy
1997 Game Boy Wars Turbo Game Boy
1997 Game Boy Wars Turbo Famitsu Version Game Boy
1998 Super Famicom Wars Super Famicom
1998 Super Famicom Wars BS Ban Tsukinowa-jima Super Famicom/Satellaview
1998 Game Boy Wars 2 Game Boy/Game Boy Color
2001 Game Boy Wars 3 Game Boy Color
2001, 2002 Game Boy Wars Advance / Advance Wars Game Boy Advance
2003 Game Boy Wars Advance 2 / Advance Wars 2: Black Hole Rising Game Boy Advance
2004 Game Boy Wars Advance 1+2 Game Boy Advance
2005 Famicom Wars DS / Advance Wars: Dual Strike Nintendo DS
2005 Battalion Wars / Totsugeki!! Famicom Wars Nintendo GameCube
2008 Battalion Wars 2 / Totsugeki!! Famicom Wars VS Wii
2008 Famicom Wars DS Ushinawareta Hikari / Advance Wars: Days of Ruin Nintendo DS

I specifically said in my post that there is not a huge amount of demand for a character from the series, but we've seen time and time again that demand can often be only a small part for what qualifies a character for Smash - look at Captain Falcon, Mr. G & W, Rob, and Ice Climbers. What would qualify Famicom Wars is its history. It is only one year younger than Zelda or Mario, and has been on every system except for 64 and VB.

Anyway, we'll probably just get 3 more Star Fox chararacters, 3 more kirby Characters, and 3 more Kid Icarus characters and they'll call it good so it's a moot point.
Exactly, it's one of those series that seems low-key but keeps getting new games when ever there's a new console.

To ME it's like FE ... tons of games, not many people think of it when they think "long Nintendo series" and it has a fuck ton of characters but doesn't really star any one in particular.

I would love to see at least 2 characters from the Wars series in SSB4. One could be from the Battalion Wars games (Betty because America, fuck YEAH!!!) and the other from the handheld games. This is the type of thing that confuses the hell out of me when people say that they would have to scrape the bottom of the barrel at this point to get more characters that "deserve" to be in smash. There are TONS of Nintendo IPs that get on going series and have large fanbases or cult followings that should be looked into. Golden Sun/ S&P/ The AW series and so-on can EASILY warrant at least 2 characters each alone because of the number of games they have, the uniqueness of the characters from these games and the amount of fan love that have. (Yup, I said 2. GS has 3 games and is likely gonna get more which is more than you can say for EB/Mother, AW is in the FE position and S&P is centered around having 2 fully playable characters so it wouldn't be hard to just make them Mario bros like in how close they are in move-sets and stats. )

One thing I think smash is good for is expanding knowledge about lesser known Nintendo IPs ... not just sucking the sticks of the big 4-6 series. I remember that feeling I had when I first played Smash and decided to buy it ... it was on a game bus and I played a Pikachu. That's why I decided to get it ... to play as Pikachu.
But well playing it I discovered Captain Falcon. Had no clue who the hell he was ... ok. Also didn't know who Fox was at the time but I had heard about him before. Then months later I found out through a friend that there was a character called "Ness" who had his own home-run bat but it was weaker than the normal one. I unlocked him for that. In melee I had the same thing happen again but with IC/ G&W/ Marth and Roy. Some of these series are retro so you wouldn't expect people to know much about them .... but others are just on-going series taht arnt mega-popular or well known among all groups and that's something smash can help with.

PokéKong

I think we take Captain Falcon for granted. If he wasn't included since the first SSB, there would be so much argument against his inclusion. "He doesn't even fight! Would would he do? Just drive his super fast hover car around the stage?! You can't build a whole moveset around that, forget it, dismissed. F-Zero isn't even that popular in Japan, forget about it."

Andy 4 ever.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Which is, in retrospect, a rip-off of Rider Punch (which itself is a crappy attack). Hilariously enough Falcon Kick is crap whereas Rider Kick is a powerful attack.

Triton55

The Skyward Sword stage should be on top of the Goddess Statue and then (end game spoilers)
you continue fighting on it as it falls to the ground

Azure J

The Skyward Sword stage should be on top of the Goddess Statue and then (end game spoilers)

I'd be so down for this if Lanaryu Timestone shenanigans didn't scream hilarity/awesome stage gimmick in my mind.

Stage hazard switch. Done.

I would kill for this. If modders could do similar stuff (No scrolling Rumble Falls in Brawl+), I don't see why the devs couldn't.

Considering the main focus of this series is a party game they are probably not the best people for the job. If you want a balanced game you need a balanced team, not one skewed towards one demographic.

Um...what? Balanced competitive games can still be fun at the casual level (Halo CE, Street Fighter).

PokéKong

Just Skyloft in general would be much better. The floating Hyrule Temple is a classic SSB stage to me, and now we can have a similar stage using an actual location from a Zelda game.

Let's please cut back on the crazy changes happening all over the background of stages, ok?

i also see a trailer coming this E3 , no way they launch wii u this year without a trailer letting people know a smash is in development, the people i'm talking about are not us, the ones that don't follow as close :p

I'll be so disappointed if theres no smash at E3 :(

Triton55

I'd be so down for this if Lanaryu Timestone shenanigans didn't scream hilarity/awesome stage gimmick in my mind.

That's a good point, Skyward Sword has a lot of dynamic stage mechanics they could play with really. Maybe the whale Levias could fly the fighters around Skyloft and the Surface, dropping them off at a few different locations?

I think I'm a lot more excited about the possibilities for new stages than characters. Should be awesome revisiting all these classic Nintendo locations with HD hardware.

Fun Fun Island stage. You are falling forever while the face of the clown dude circles around in the background saying "yahoooooooie". Nobody can move either.

KevinCow

Banned
PokéKong;35083623 said:
Let's please cut back on the crazy changes happening all over the background of stages, ok?
I want them to find a medium between Melee and Brawl. When I play Melee stages, they seem boring. But when I play Brawl stages, they seem excessive.

Make the backgrounds visually interesting without being distracting.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
I want them to find a medium between Melee and Brawl. When I play Melee stages, they seem boring. But when I play Brawl stages, they seem excessive.

Make the backgrounds visually interesting without being distracting.

Eh, I want some kind of colorful but tournament style stages, along with a lot of fun stages that we would have fun to play with.

udivision

Add more variety to the stage editor, everyone will be happy.
How come there were no mushroom platforms, lava blocks, falling star blocks/bombs (from kirby), doors that open by attacks (from metroid), teleportation pads (from pokemon) for us to use?

Another example of a gear system:

For Mario's Side-B move, he can equip a variety of items:
  • Super Cape (Super Mario World) - Default attack; functions the same as in SSBM/SSBB
  • Raccoon Leaf (Super Mario Bros. 3) - Mario has raccoon ears and tail; spin attacks, deals 1-2%; doesn't reverse opponents; lower hitbox and worse deflection capabilities
  • Luma (Super Mario Galaxy) - This gives Mario the spin attack from the SMG games (similar to his Down B from SSB64/SSBM). Spin attack, stronger than Raccoon Tail, more horizontal movement than other options, but ends in a recovery phase. No reflection capabilities, but may block some projectiles
  • Hammer (Paper Mario) - A standard hammer attack, can be charged like a smash attack, no deflection capabilities.

Mario then could have a variety of items equipped in the Up-B slot, such as a coin block (standard Up-B) or a second Raccoon Leaf (similar multi-hit attack, more diagonal movement, deals less damage, different hitbox). If Racoon Leaves are multi-equipped, their effects are boosted in each slot.

Then each item can have modifying properties: Charged Leaf (deals electric damage instead of normal), Rubber Leaf (resist against electric damage), some are cosmetic (hats) etc, bestowing effects like stickers in SSBB's SSE. Items are randomly acquired as loot drops, and can be traded, gambled, crafted, bought on an online store, auctioned for play coins, etc.

GamerSoul

PokéKong;35082525 said:
I think we take Captain Falcon for granted. If he wasn't included since the first SSB, there would be so much argument against his inclusion. "He doesn't even fight! Would would he do? Just drive his super fast hover car around the stage?! You can't build a whole moveset around that, forget it, dismissed. F-Zero isn't even that popular in Japan, forget about it."

Andy 4 ever.

Truth. They need to take more chances like Falcon. Whatever they were drinking/consuming/doing that day needs to be repeated again.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"

• Super Cape (Super Mario World) - Default attack; functions the same as in SSBM/SSBB
  • Raccoon Leaf (Super Mario Bros. 3) - Mario has raccoon ears and tail; spin attacks, deals 1-2%; doesn't reverse opponents; lower hitbox and worse deflection capabilities
  • Luma (Super Mario Galaxy) - This gives Mario the spin attack from the SMG games (similar to his Down B from SSB64/SSBM). Spin attack, stronger than Raccoon Tail, more horizontal movement than other options, but ends in a recovery phase. No reflection capabilities, but may block some projectiles
  • Hammer (Paper Mario) - A standard hammer attack, can be charged like a smash attack, no deflection capabilities.

Mario then could have a variety of items equipped in the Up-B slot, such as a coin block (standard Up-B) or a second Raccoon Leaf (similar multi-hit attack, more diagonal movement, deals less damage, different hitbox). If Racoon Leaves are multi-equipped, their effects are boosted in each slot.

Then each item can have modifying properties: Charged Leaf (deals electric damage instead of normal), Rubber Leaf (resist against electric damage), some are cosmetic (hats) etc, bestowing effects like stickers in SSBB's SSE. Items are randomly acquired as loot drops, and can be traded, gambled, crafted, bought on an online store, auctioned for play coins, etc.

I would support it if it is different series, but it could lead to very unbalanced game so I don't think I want that.

Snakeyes

In regards to the F-Zero character, yes, the main reason I chose Black Shadow over Samurai Goroh because he could easily take Ganondorf's old moveset. Black Shadow is a very important character to F-Zero though, Captain Falcon's arch-nemesis. For Samurai Goroh, I also assessed that there was little to base a possible moveset for him on, and that Takamaru was already in to give the Japanese katana swordplay style. If there is a newcomer for F-Zero added, it will either be Black Shadow or Samurai Goroh. I think the F-Zero anime does make one also appreciate Black Shadow a bit more (he is voiced by Norio Wakamoto in it). On that note, I remember reading a few years ago prior to Brawl, that Wakamoto would be glad to reprise his role as Black Shadow for Smash Bros. if he was asked to.

Oh OK. Didn't know BS was more than a minor villain in the F-Zero canon. He's just a puppet for Deathborn in the games.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Um...what? Balanced competitive games can still be fun at the casual level (Halo CE, Street Fighter).

Seeing as how stages like Wario Ware are hated and thus probably would never have seen the light of day no thanks.

Also there is more to Smash than the fighting mechanics. Like I said earlier I don't want things like trophy mode forgotten, thus a balanced team is a better option. You may know Smash mechanics like the back of your hand, but you'd be useless for the trivia aspect if you don't know your Super Mario Bros 2s from your Super Mario Bros 2s.

Certainly it would make more sense for Andy, Jake or Will to be the main rep for AW, but it would rock to see Sturm, Hawke or Eagle make it in.

And instead of Landmasters, they can get Megatanks!

Seeing as how stages like Wario Ware are hated and thus probably would never have seen the light of day no thanks.

Also there is more to Smash than the fighting mechanics. Like I said earlier I don't want things like trophy mode forgotten, thus a balanced team is a better option. You may know Smash mechanics like the back of your hand, but you'd be useless for the trivia aspect if you don't know your Super Mario Bros 2s from your Super Mario Bros 2s.

Wacky stages are fine as long as there are an equal number of competitive stages.

And why the fuck would trophies be excluded from the game if the characters were balanced better.

For Samurai Goroh, I also assessed that there was little to base a possible moveset for him on, and that Takamaru was already in to give the Japanese katana swordplay style. If there is a newcomer for F-Zero added, it will either be Black Shadow or Samurai Goroh.

Takamaru could help Goroh's chances (or vice-versa), if anything. One could be a clone or semi-clone of the other.

Black Shadow is more prominent than Goroh in the F-Zero franchise (or was, I guess), but Goroh has always been the number two F-Zero character in Smash Bros. I think he would get in before Black Shadow now.

Oh OK. Didn't know BS was more than a minor villain in the F-Zero canon. He's just a puppet for Deathborn in the games.

That's just in GX (although it's not like Black Shadow's role in X or the GBA games extends beyond "supposedly Falcon's greatest enemy according to backstory"). He was the main villain in the anime, which had three games based on it and was pretty successful in Japan, so Black Shadow would seem to be more important to F-Zero to the average person looking in - or at least he would have back when the series was still active.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Wacky stages are fine as long as there are an equal number of competitive stages.

And why the fuck would trophies be excluded from the game if the characters were balanced better.

Does one really need that many competitive stages? One complaint many has during Japan Time was that a lot of stage were similar in layout to Battlefield. If you're desperate for more stages with a scattering of platforms there is always Stage Builder. Then again I'm one of those silly people who uses the stage hazards to his advantage.

Also I'm not arguing against balancing the characters, I'm arguing for a team not consisting solely of Smash Mechanics Experts.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
What if Capcom put Zero (X version) instead of X yet again?

B - Zero Buster
UB - Ryuenjin
SB - Hadangeki
DB - Hienkyaku
FS - Dark Hold or Sougenmu or Rekkouha

Also I'm not arguing against balancing the characters, I'm arguing for a team not consisting solely of Smash Mechanics Experts.

God forbid the designers have a deep mechanical understanding of their game.

I mean seriously, Meta Knight...how did that get past playtesting? How did Brawl Falcon and Ganny get past playtesting?

Consult with pro players to help balance the game for competition at the highest level. Focus test with casual players to make sure the game is still fun for them. Problem solved.

Also, there are competitive stages with hazards. I'm fine as long as they don't go overboard with stuff like Pictochat and Spear Pillar. A toggle for hazards would fix everything. Stage Builder isn't viable as custom stages probably won't make their way into matchmaking and it would be a pain to load them onto every console for tournaments. But not every stage has to be competitive, hell I can't name an FPS where every map is competitive. But there should be more than a handful.

Black Shadow may just be a puppet in GX, but who honestly got that far in the story mode? :p

Beat everything on very hard. My greatest gaming accomplishment.

Kjellson

I really hope no characters will be cut.

The only cuts I'm fine with are Dr. Mario and Pichu, bring back the other ones (with some new moves) and let them all stay.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
God forbid the designers have a deep mechanical understanding of their game.

No offence, but are you blind? I have only said the team shouldn't consist solely of people who are hardcore Smash fans. I never said there shouldn't be anyone of the team who is an expert in the mechanics. You also need people who know the trivia side of Nintendo. There were already complaints earlier that Wario didn't reflect the Land series well.

PokéKong

I would have loved the Fire Emblem stage if it acted like a normal stage. I just want to admire that castle and battle in the background, but then it has to do the cheesy falling through a vortex stuff and decide to be a different stage. We have had stages with action going on in the background without it affecting the actual fight before, having it change the FE stage felt especially forced.

I'd vote against Black Shadow purely for his design. It's so plain and boring, and I already dread the inevitable running gag of him being mistaken for Batman. Samurai Goroh most definitely, his design and fighting style seems completely unique.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I didn't like the invisible floor during the transitions. Would have been better if it were a brief air fight in between "floors" But yeah, the castle top was the best bit and would have made a perfectly good stand alone stage.

PokéKong;35095296 said:
I'd vote against Black Shadow purely for his design. It's so plain and boring, and I already dread the inevitable running gag of him being mistaken for Batman. Samurai Goroh most definitely, his design and fighting style seems completely unique.

Dunno about everyone else, but my desire for Black Shadow to show up has nothing to do with him and everything to do with wanting a brand new Ganondorf.

Steaks

I don't think adding complexity is something the Smash Bros series is known for doing.

Also these kinds of things tend to work out poorly, especially without patches. It's incredibly difficult to nail design stuff like this on a first pass.

Slept on my idea about customizable move sets, decided it would erode the identity of the individual characters (and would be hard to implement for some, like Ice Climbers). Here are some new ideas:

-Take the same idea I had before, but apply it only to Miis (equip items in different 'gear' slots to equip moves and abilities)
-Bring back point scoring (not really a new idea, but my number one request above all else, such an integral part of the 'flavor' of the first two games)
-Wait, that's all I had, hmmm

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom