• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 5 available as of now, starting at $349

Status
Not open for further replies.

Esqueleto

Banned
Still waiting on that wireless charger to go up.
I'm not sure if I should go naked or not. Haven't had problems with my N4 but the colored cases are tempting.

Mine didn't ship. :(

I ordered my case and screen protector by Spigen though.

I got this case:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00EV8Y7DI/?tag=neogaf0e-20

and they're normal plastic screen protectors. The glass screen protectors look awesome but I couldn't justify the $30 to purchase it...

What would you do if you wanted to transfer a $30 T-Mobile prepaid plan from a Nexus 4 to a Nexus 5.

Take the sim card from the nexus 4 and stick it in the nexus 5?

Vaux

Went to work alittle late just to make sure i get a order through. Just got back and its showing shipped with tracking number!
Woo Hoo!!

Laekon

Anyone know where these are shipping from? I'm hoping CA as I could get mine tomorrow if the shipped tonight.

Chili

UK-ers, you can use carphonewarehouse.com to reserve a SIM-free phone for £295. Tottenham Court Road branch has them available! I'm not sure whether to wait it out for my Play store order though. Their aftersales service has been excellent to deal with.

gwarm01

Would you consider going from HTC one to nexus 5 a reasonable upgrade?

I just got an HTC One from T-Mobile and I'm seriously considering swapping it for the Nexus if it becomes available during my initial trial period. My wife has the LG G2 and I can tell a noticeable difference between our two phones. I'm pretty sure the G2 has the same processor as the new Nexus.

Due to the fact that Google seemed to have locked my account as Irish even if I use a proxy server I can't see the UK play page anymore. Can anyone confirm if it's sold out there yet?

(Or even if it's sold out in the US?)

PARANO1A

Interesting... I ordered with "2-3 weeks shipping" this morning (about 10 hours ago) but just received a shipping notification. Nice.

Cronox

Banned
This phone pisses me off. First off, why are the people designing this phone so in love with the idea of having no actual buttons on the glass? On what altar was this sacrifice in usability made? Look at all that bezel space below the screen! Buttons could be there, instead of taking screen real estate at all times. And, because there's no physical button on bottom, I would have to wake my phone from the side button each time. Look, it's so clean... at the user's expense. Well, fuck that.

And why no micro-SD card? Especially for a phone that seems to be targeting enthusiasts and developers, no one at Google imagines that they would need more than 16 or 32 gigs of space? I bought a 64 gig micro sd card nearly two years ago now, and it didn't even cost much then. My iPhone 3GS had 32 gigs, and I filled it back when it was new. Serious users require expandability. Does Google remember that the point of Android phones was supposed to be customization? Back in the day, every iPhone complaint was met with "well, you can do that on android!" While every memory increase meant another $100 tax for iPhone users, Android phones were expandable. The most popular Android phones are still expandable (and have a replaceable battery). Does Google want their phone to be popular? Evidently not. Yes, I know Nexus phones have been like this for a bit, but every generation is a chance to unmake one's mistakes. But I guess that would compromise their vision of a finely machined chassis that no one can open up or customize in any way.

I want to buy a phone for a reasonable, unsubsidized price, that I can take to any network. This is that phone, but the lack of micro SD is a deal breaker, and their stupid [lack of] buttons are an extra fuck you on top. So now I get to pay out the ass for an unsubsidized Galaxy S4, or wait 6 months to do the same for an S5, neither of which will be GSM and CDMA compatible. FML.

Due to the fact that Google seemed to have locked my account as Irish even if I use a proxy server I can't see the UK play page anymore. Can anyone confirm if it's sold out there yet?

(Or even if it's sold out in the US?)

Seems like there is a 2 to 3 day delivery on the white and a week on the black.

Has anyone ordered then cancelled straight away?

Last night straight after I bought one, I realised that the delivery address was wrong, so I cancelled. 5 minutes later after updating the delivery address, I put an order in for another one, only I get an email saying it has been put on hold due to insufficient funds in the bank.

I looks like the original order request to the bank was put through, which I can see but they haven't taken the money out. I've since moved more money into the account, and the 2nd order status has moved from closed, to pending.

My question is, how long will it take for the original funds from the 1st order be put back into the account?

This phone pisses me off. First off, why are the people designing this phone so in love with the idea of having no actual buttons on the glass? On what altar was this sacrifice in usability made? Look at all that bezel space below the screen! Buttons could be there, instead of taking screen real estate at all times. And, because there's no physical button on bottom, I would have to wake my phone from the side button each time. Look, it's so clean... at the user's expense. Well, fuck that.

And why no micro-SD card? Especially for a phone that seems to be targeting enthusiasts and developers, no one at Google imagines that they would need more than 16 or 32 gigs of space? I bought a 64 gig micro sd card nearly two years ago now, and it didn't even cost much then. My iPhone 3GS had 32 gigs, and I filled it back when it was new. Serious users require expandability. Does Google remember that the point of Android phones was supposed to be customization? Back in the day, every iPhone complaint was met with "well, you can do that on android!" While every memory increase meant another $100 tax for iPhone users, Android phones were expandable. The most popular Android phones are still expandable (and have a replaceable battery). Does Google want their phone to be popular? Evidently not. Yes, I know Nexus phones have been like this for a bit, but every generation is a chance to unmake one's mistakes. But I guess that would compromise their vision of a finely machined chassis that no one can open up or customize in any way.

I want to buy a phone for a reasonable, unsubsidized price, that I can take to any network. This is that phone, but the lack of micro SD is a deal breaker, and their stupid [lack of] buttons are an extra fuck you on top. So now I get to pay out the ass for an unsubsidized Galaxy S4, or wait 6 months to do the same for an S5, neither of which will be GSM and CDMA compatible. FML.

Probably because sd cards are slow and have to load whenever you restart your phone. Be glad there is a 32 gb option for $50 more. Also you can't store entire apps on the SD card, my phone is already running out of space. I look forward to a unified memory system. Android devices are all tradeoffs. You can't really complain much at $350-400 off contract.

Chili

UK-ers, you can use carphonewarehouse.com to reserve a SIM-free phone for £295. Tottenham Court Road branch has them available! I'm not sure whether to wait it out for my Play store order though. Their aftersales service has been excellent to deal with.

Well Carphone Warehouse are just proved my point. When I got to the till, the guy went to go and get the phone but came back empty handed and said (and I admire his honesty at least) that someone else just came in after me and wanted it on contract so they got priority over the last one. The reservation means nothing apparently..

He said the other store on Oxford Street has them but to be honest I'd rather pay £15 more and get it a week later from the Play Store if that means avoiding their service in future.

Cronox

Banned
Probably because sd cards are slow and have to load whenever you restart your phone. Be glad there is a 32 gb option for $50 more. Also you can't store entire apps on the SD card, my phone is already running out of space. I look forward to a unified memory system. Android devices are all tradeoffs. You can't really complain much at $350-400 off contract.

Oh I don't keep apps on the SD card, I keep audio and video. I listen to tons of podcasts and also have plenty of music, some in FLAC. My phone is my audio player when I'm driving or doing any household chores, I need to have enough space to have some variety. It was bad enough on my 32 gig 3GS back in the day, it's ok with the 16+64 gigs I have right now, but no way I can go back to 32 again. Going through your collection trying to decide what to delete so you can download app updates or a new podcast is not my bag.

Besides, I think I've shown that I can complain, and will continue to if called upon. How much would it have cost them to offer even a 64 gig version?

Do they have 32GB in stock?

I ordered mine 13 minutes after they were uploaded and my order is still pending and I haven't received a confirmation email from Google.

Vaux

I agree with you here. only way i found a way round it on my N4 was using cyanogenmod pie control.

neoemonk

I bought one of those $200 Nexus 4s when they were clearing out the stock and last Sunday I was in my garage and set it on the trunk of my car for a second. It slid off and landed face down and now I don't have a Nexus 4 anymore.

With the holidays coming up I'm not going to be able to pick this up until January or February but it will be mine. Oh yes, it will be mine.

And this time I'm getting a case.

Chili

Do they have 32GB in stock?

I ordered mine 13 minutes after they were uploaded and my order is still pending and I haven't received a confirmation email from Google.

I don't think CPW have the 32GB. O2 have that as an exclusive it seems (outside of the Play store). My Play order shipped just now (ordered 18:00:40 GMT).

Kanyon

Well mine's been updated to "leaving warehouse by November 15, 2013" which is better than the previous "shipping between 2 - 3 weeks."

Was tempted to cancel it and grab a white 16 or 32 since they were still in stock for a longer period of time, but I'll stick it out.

UK order dispatched!!!

ZQjQtuM.png

I don't think that is dispatched. I just come off the phone from Google to enquire about my cancelled order and it just means it's in the middle of processing.

By the way, if anyone was interested it can take up to 14 days for the money to appear back into your bank account if you cancel it before it's dispatched. Google customer service was excellent.

Dieter is doing the review for the Verge (the guy who did their first hands-on video). So, don't expect anything higher than a 7.

He was also tweeting last night that KitKat and the phone are nice but don't fix some of Android's "longstanding" issues.

Zeppu

I don't think that is dispatched. I just come off the phone from Google to enquire about my cancelled order and it just means it's in the middle of processing.

By the way, if anyone was interested it can take up to 14 days for the money to appear back into your bank account if you cancel it before it's dispatched. Google customer service was excellent.

Wait shit, I linked the incorrect image. Idiot!

dmDqjkA.png

Zeppu

I ordered at 31-Oct-2013 11:02:59 PDT (18:02:59 GMT) and I got my dispatch notice at 10:30 GMT today.
A friend of mine ordered it at 31-Oct-2013 11:02:02 PDT, so less than a minute before me, and got the dispatch email at 10:10 GMT.

So yeah, probably lots of orders in the first few minutes that it went up.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Dieter is doing the review for the Verge (the guy who did their first hands-on video). So, don't expect anything higher than a 7.

He was also tweeting last night that KitKat and the phone are nice but don't fix some of Android's "longstanding" issues.

The Verge needs to get back on Apple's good graces.

I don't think CPW have the 32GB. O2 have that as an exclusive it seems (outside of the Play store). My Play order shipped just now (ordered 18:00:40 GMT).

Thanks, mate. Highly annoying - it's been nearly 18 hours, and still no transaction processed or confirmation sent. Expected better from the world's premier internet company.

Called them and they confirmed that the order is due to be dispatched by the 5th, but it's weird how there's no confirmation or anything despite the fact that I likely was one of the first in the UK to order this phone. My friend - who ordered 1 hour after me - has already received confirmation from Googy.

Thanks, mate. Highly annoying - it's been nearly 18 hours, and still no transaction processed or confirmation sent. Expected better from the world's premier internet company.

Dude, this launch was so smooth compared to the Nexus 4. You have no idea how good you had it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom