• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 5 available as of now, starting at $349

Status
Not open for further replies.

hitsugi

Not what I wanted to hear.

Congrats anyway.

...googy!

Looks like everything but the 16gb black options shipped yesterday. Everyone I know that ordered 32gb variants or a white phone got theirs shipped this morning. My 16gb black is still pending.. my 32gb black (ordered 5 minutes later) shipped.

Nicktendo86

It does?

Welp, that's solved a whole load of issues then. I'll sell my iPhone on eBay (I can easily get £250-£270 for it) and just put the rest in myself and buy a Nexus direct from Google and just continue to pay the monthly fee to O2. Sorted.

Yep, you shouldn't have any problems :)

Tenacious-V

Thinks his PR is better than yours.
Well Canada here, still "pending." Ordered at :04 so we'll see.

For those of you who chose a faster shipping option, where did you choose it? I didn't see a choice for shipping options for mine. Just $16.99 for a 2 - 7 Business Day shipping was added by default.

jimbor

Banned
It does?

Welp, that's solved a whole load of issues then. I'll sell my iPhone on eBay (I can easily get £250-£270 for it) and just put the rest in myself and buy a Nexus direct from Google and just continue to pay the monthly fee to O2. Sorted.

It doesn't. iPhone 5 takes a nano sim, N5 takes a micro sim.

lobdale

3 ft, coiled to the sky
Looks like everything but the 16gb black options shipped yesterday. Everyone I know that ordered 32gb variants or a white phone got theirs shipped this morning. My 16gb black is still pending.. my 32gb black (ordered 5 minutes later) shipped.

My 16gb black shipped last night! (Texas)

Thinking of leaving verizon for sprint or tmobile. Tired of getting shafted on phones. Guess it's finally time to hang up my unlimited data. Only problem is Sprint doesn't have 4G in my area. Tmobile says the 4G coverage is "good." I'd also be paying more, and won't have a discount anymore. Live in greater DC area.

How much are you paying a month that t-mobile would be more expensive? $60 ffor unlimited everything and I think you even get tethering IIRC.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
"Apple sells out pre-order stock in just 10 minutes"

wow
such amaze​
so sales​
no 1 brand
much clickbait news​
innovation​

---

"Play store marking some configurations as sold out after 20ish hours"

What's your excuse google you suck you are terrible at this.

Apple sells a ton more devices than the Nexus program, that's the difference. Unless Google puts out a press release saying this phone sold 9 million in three days, its not really comparable and they should have enough stock.

Protome

My 16GB White hasn't shipped yet :(
I'm in the UK though.

SimleuqiR

Apple sells a ton more devices than the Nexus program, that's the difference. Unless Google puts out a press release saying this phone sold 9 million in three days, its not really comparable and they should have enough stock.

The business model is totally different.
Even if they had 1 million in stock for the US market, I would find it "too much". No one besides a small techie crowd is buying this phone day one.

We are a vocal crowd, but we are no way near iPhone levels hype.

It's better for Google they sell this in batches as to not over produce the product and have excess inventory.

Zeppu

Yeah but everyone still praises Apple for running out of pre-orders (whether the stock is millions or whatever) in the first few minutes which means that they've stocked a smaller amount than the demand is.

This has some configurations running low after almost a day (which means that relatively speaking they were better prepared) and people are bitching about it.

Like you said, it's not meant to be a device which sells tons so why should they have iPhone levels of stock?

Shambles

Yes. Therefore they can scale up production far better and easier than smaller companies than them. By that logic I should be able to team up with a couple friends and pump out 100,000 devices easily. Smaller demand doesn't make production easier, it makes it harder.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ

wow
such amaze​
so sales​
no 1 brand
much clickbait news​
innovation​

---

This is my favorite post of this year.

And this is why I'm going to have to sell my current phone to get some money to put towards a Nexus. O2 really is the only option for me as I'm in contract with them anyway and all my friends and family are with them, so cheaper calls.

Oh I hear ya, with O2 myself (pay as you go). Last year I was one of "those" people that paid £400 for the Nexus 4 from O2. I don't regret paying the extra £100 if I am honest it was worth paying extra just to avoid the unmitigated disaster that the Nexus 4 release became (plus I won a 32" Television).

Nice to see the Nexus 5 launch went a hell of a lot smoother though. I admit I am tempted to get a Nexus 5 (even though I still love my Nexus 4 to death). However the fact 4G isn't in my area, the Nexus 4 will get kitkat and £349 is just a tad bit too much for me to pay for an "enhanced" Nexus 4. My plan now is to either wait for a price drop or make do with my Nexus 4 for another year.

CronoShot

Hmm, got my email last night, but UPS still doesn't have it in their system and can't track it :(

Same here. Got the shipping email just before midnight last night, but still can't track it. It better ship out today. I have Monday off, so it would be perfect timing.

reKon

Banned

wow
such amaze​
so sales​
no 1 brand
much clickbait news​
innovation​

---

I really don't understand this doge meme

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Releasing mid-November here in Sweden. About what I expected. Recommended price from LG (16 GB version, don't know if the 32 GB version is even gonna make it here): 4,500 SEK = ~$690. Please, Google, start selling devices on the Play Store here so LG can stop ripping us off...

SpecX

What's Verizon's reason for not supporting this phone? They are seriously pissing me off with the lack of phone options.

Symphonia

Banned
Oh I hear ya, with O2 myself (pay as you go). Last year I was one of "those" people that paid £400 for the Nexus 4 from O2. I don't regret paying the extra £100 if I am honest it was worth paying extra just to avoid the unmitigated disaster that the Nexus 4 release became (plus I won a 32" Television).

Nice to see the Nexus 5 launch went a hell of a lot smoother though. I admit I am tempted to get a Nexus 5 (even though I still love my Nexus 4 to death). However the fact 4G isn't in my area, the Nexus 4 will get kitkat and £349 is just a tad bit too much for me to pay for an "enhanced" Nexus 4. My plan now is to either wait for a price drop or make do with my Nexus 4 for another year.
4G isn't available here yet, but is available in Birmingham, so should be rolling out to loval areas soon, so I'll just grab the 4G model and wait it out.

AT&T isn't selling it subsidized. Only T-Mobile and Sprint are, for $150 I think.
Remember at least TMobile no longer sells subsidized phones, IIRC.

You can buy phones with a down payment of X amount like you stated bit you make payments over time. Usually 2 years. No contract though. You're just responsible for paying for the phone's balance.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
What's Verizon's reason for not supporting this phone? They are seriously pissing me off with the lack of phone options.

Verizon requires all phones that run on their network to have preinstalled bloatware and have updates go through their testing, and they're big enough to get away with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom