• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 5 available as of now, starting at $349

Status
Not open for further replies.

hitsugi

They tried with the iPhone 1, but Apple said "go fuck yourself" and went to AT&T, which led to Verizon hemorrhaging customers for years and years before Android came along.

In short, Apple can do w/e it wants on Verizon.

I thought that was the case.. Just making sure. It's a shame Verizon continues to have that practice

this_guy

The site says 70/month....which is what I think I'll be going with eventually.

I think if you're using TMobile's monthly plans ($50 for 500mb, $60 for 2.5gb, $70 for unlimited data) you should take a look at Metropcs. Tmobile bought them out and you will be using Tmobile's LTE network. Their plans are similar to Tmobile but $10 cheaper ($40 for 500mb, $50 for 2.5gb, $60 for unlimited). Also you don't pay taxes on their plans, so $60 means $60 if you choose to do the unlimted everything.

You probably won't get the world wide data roaming like you would on Tmobile native, but otherwise it's a great deal. They don't have anything similar to Tmobile's $30 for 100 minutes and 5gb data though.

Protome

Woop, just got my shipping email!
Was mildly worried it wouldn't ship until late next week since I used my work address and if it arrived at the weekend...

Shanks

Dammit. I orderered a 16gb and a 32gb cause I couldn't decide. Now I want the 32gb and the damn 16gb won't cancel since it is being shipped soon. It's been pending for the entire time. What a pain.

I'm trying to stay calm here but..... where's my shipping email Google? Other people have had them, why haven't I?

(Would be nice to have a reason to look forward to Monday!)

rando14

Dammit. I orderered a 16gb and a 32gb cause I couldn't decide. Now I want the 32gb and the damn 16gb won't cancel since it is being shipped soon. It's been pending for the entire time. What a pain.

if you cant cancel the 16 i'd be happy to buy it from you :p

Okay guys I've thinking about upgrading from my Nexus 4 to the 5 but the price is very different here in Denmark. It's about 700 dollars in Denmark. Would it still be worth it buying an Nexus 5 over a Galaxy S4 for example ?

I'd like to hear your meaning.

I'm just reposting this for some thought. Would a other phone (Android only) be of better worth as the N5 is already expensive over here ?

Kwhit10

Ordered within first 3 minutes, got skipping notification at 5am this morning. But so far ups has no tracking info available yet.

SimleuqiR

I'm just reposting this for some thought. Would a other phone (Android only) be of better worth as the N5 is already expensive over here ?

Is the Galaxy S4 on contract. Could you get it cheaper than $700.00?
If the answer is "yes", I say go with the S4 if you don't mind Samsung UI tweaks and services.

You could always install a Google Experience ROM for the S4

Ephemeris

holy shit.

I went to check my email for something unrelated. And happened to stumble across this:

Fri, Nov 1, 2013 at 5:30 AM (EST)
subject: Your Google Play Order from Oct 31, 2013 Has Shipped

I checked the bloody web order status a few hours ago and it said it was charged, not shipped with a ship by date of the 5th.

The email already has a tracking number so .. hmmmmm

Haint

AT&T isn't selling it subsidized. Only T-Mobile and Sprint are, for $150 I think.

Tmo doesn't sell subsidized phones, they just do free financing for X-number of months + usually an up front $100-$200 lump. You still pay the full off contract amount. They will also probably sell this at $50-$100 premium over the Play Store.

rc213

Got the shipping email last night, Hoping to wake up to seeing that the phone was already out for delivery but the tracking number hasn't been activated yet. =-c

lunchtoast

I think if you're using TMobile's monthly plans ($50 for 500mb, $60 for 2.5gb, $70 for unlimited data) you should take a look at Metropcs. Tmobile bought them out and you will be using Tmobile's LTE network. Their plans are similar to Tmobile but $10 cheaper ($40 for 500mb, $50 for 2.5gb, $60 for unlimited). Also you don't pay taxes on their plans, so $60 means $60 if you choose to do the unlimted everything.

You probably won't get the world wide data roaming like you would on Tmobile native, but otherwise it's a great deal. They don't have anything similar to Tmobile's $30 for 100 minutes and 5gb data though.

Very interesting, thanks.

why is that?
Well it has better specs than the GS4 in almost every area and the GS4 is a generation ahead of the S3 in terms of all that. It's better designed, it's a lot faster, the screen is better, and so on. And besides anything running touchwiz is automaticlaly outclassed by a new phone running stock :p

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
Couldn't get an order for the 16GB, so I got 32GB instead (black). Oh well, a little more money for larger storage.

Kind of annoyed though that Hangouts doesn't merge SMS and Hangout messages like iMessage. That's what I thought they were going to do.

Ladies and gentlemen, we're in business.

wVPbiOg.png

Bungie's

Well it has better specs than the GS4 in almost every area and the GS4 is a generation ahead of the S3 in terms of all that. It's better designed, it's a lot faster, the screen is better, and so on. And besides anything running touchwiz is automaticlaly outclassed by a new phone running stock :p

your right. forgot about touchwiz, its terrible.

UK-GAF: My Nexus 5 just shipped. Ordered at 6:10pm UK yesterday; weirdest thing - didn't get any email from Google whatsoever.

Tracking number doesn't work which means they probably just shipped it.

Chili

UK-GAF: My Nexus 5 just shipped. Ordered at 6:10pm UK yesterday; weirdest thing - didn't get any email from Google whatsoever.

Awesome, glad to hear it worked out in the end.

jimbor

Banned

I didn't order until 23:15 last night at which point it said will leave the warehouse by the eighth. I can live with that.

the 16 giggers sold out so fast, like 30 minutes. I literally tried to order at 2:37 EST and all 16 gigs were out of stock.

Anyone heard when they will refresh/be back in stock? I really dont need 32gig.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom