• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 5 available as of now, starting at $349

Status
Not open for further replies.
I ordered 11:21 PST and got my shipping notification last night at 9:52PM. A friend ordered literally a minute after me and he still hasn't received his e-mail. We both ordered Black/32. I went with the 2 day shipping option (since it was only a few bucks more) and he didn't. Not sure if that's what made the difference.

I ordered black 32gb with 2 day shipping as well. Still stuck on pending. I don't know what rhyme or reason there is to their shipping method.

Rootbeer

Banned
anyone know how the rear camera in the Nexus 5 stacks up against the iPhone 4S (not 5s) camera? I know they are both 8MP, what about quality etc.? That is what I'm upgrading from.

Portugeezer

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=47026299&postcount=53

First, early stress test of the battery I'ved seen. Things to note:

1. 3.5 hrs screen on
2. WiFi on the whole time (uses less power) but...
3. Shit cellular signal, which is a notorious battery killer
4. Almost 2 hour phone call
5. Almost 20 minutes of playing high graphics game

Needless to say, you'd be hard pressed to get 2 hours of screen time on the N4 with these conditions.

Pretty good results.

SimleuqiR

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=47026299&postcount=53

First, early stress test of the battery I'ved seen. Things to note:

1. 3.5 hrs screen on
2. WiFi on the whole time (uses less power) but...
3. Shit cellular signal, which is a notorious battery killer
4. Almost 2 hour phone call
5. Almost 20 minutes of playing high graphics game

Needless to say, you'd be hard pressed to get 2 hours of screen time on the N4 with these conditions.

That's impressive. I can get 3 hours of on screentime with optimal conditions on the N4

hitsugi

That's impressive. I can get 3 hours of on screentime with optimal conditions on the N4

Same.. even when my signal is fine, 3 hours over the course of a day is the absolute max for my N4. Throw poor signal into the mix (say where I work, for instance) and I could kill my phone off with an hour and a half of screen time.

SimleuqiR

Same.. even when my signal is fine, 3 hours over the course of a day is the absolute max for my N4. Throw poor signal into the mix (say where I work, for instance) and I could kill my phone off with an hour and a half of screen time.

I was at a trade show in Texas a couple of weeks back, where my reception was not that great. Phone lasted about 6 hours. Barely an hour of screen time.

hitsugi

I hate knowing that my wife and I's phones are sitting 40 minutes away from us and we won't see them until Monday night D: aaaahhhh oh well.

Kamek

My galaxy nexus died this morning. Where is my shipping notification damnit!

How'd it die? Ever since I've been on 4.3, my texts have been really slow. Perhaps it's because I never delete my texts. I'm excited for my N5 though. Still pending. Bought it at 3:13PM EST on release date.

IceIpor

I'M IN CANADA AND GOT THE SHIPPING EMAIL

OMGYES

Looks like a wednesday delivery, would prefer sooner but meh, not bad.

Same...!

...Except it's the Black one that I ordered later shipped (20 mins after store posting), while my earlier White order is still pending (3 mins after).

And from Louisville, KY, United States? I thought the warehouse for Canadian orders was in Canada?

How'd it die? Ever since I've been on 4.3, my texts have been really slow. Perhaps it's because I never delete my texts. I'm excited for my N5 though. Still pending. Bought it at 3:13PM EST on release date.

I turned it on this morning and it no longer connects to sprint. Reset the device, tried manually programming the MSID, downloading the profile, nothing is working.

Was fine last night before the battery died.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
WTF? Where is the signature iPhone aspect ratio (recording on a phone in portrait mode)?

Horizontal Nexus logo on the back might finally get people to not do the portrait video thing.

Then again Nexus buyers probably aren't the type of mouthbreathing knuckle-draggers that would do such a thing in the first place.

DaNcaKe

Parcelforce (UK) have my package, but their website says they won't deliver on Saturdays unless you've paid extra (£14) for it :(

BF4 will hopefully keep me busy until Monday.

Tenacious-V

Thinks his PR is better than yours.
Canada, my phone has shipped... from Louisville, KY?

Estimated arrival is 11/6. :(

Why did they have Canadian warehouses filled if they were just going to send it from the states...

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
k1V2ZL7.png

LtNDbKz.png

Excellent camera comparison here: http://recombu.com/mobile/news/google-nexus-5-camera-comparison_M19696.html

Pits the Nexus 5 against the Apple iPhone 5S, Google Nexus 4, HTC One, Nokia Lumia 1020, Samsung Galaxy Note 3, Samsung Galaxy S4 and the Sony Xperia Z.

My thoughts:

1. Dear fucking lord, the Nexus 4 camera is a steaming pile. It does the worst in almost every scenario. I want to throw mine in the garbage.
2. iPhone 5S and Lumia consistently do well, but don't win every category, which surprised me.
3. Nexus 5 in low/no-light, no flash is damn good. Retains the natural colors, a good amount of detail and captures most of the scene. I think it arguably does better than every other device, even the iPhone and Lumia. Again, LMAO @ the N4 almost having a completely black picture.
4. iPhone wins with its flash, thanks to the two-tone LED's. Nexus 5's washes out the details and makes the white balance go yellow. No surprise; flash sucks.
5. Oddly enough, in natural light, N5 does a bit poor for the same reason as above. White balance is off. It gives me the impression they designed the camera for low-light scenarios, first and foremost. This is highlighted in the high contrast picture where it does an excellent job of illuminating the inside of the house, but it has no idea how to handle the light source.
6. Overall, I'd put it somewhere near the Samsung cameras in terms of quality. It's better than them in some places; worse, in others.
7. If they can tweak the white balance to fix the odd natural light performance, it would shoot way past everything, except the Lumia and iPhone.

tl;dr: Camera seems designed for low-light scenarios. They need to tweak the white balance (a software fix). It rivals Samsung's flagships, and trumps the HTC One (by a decent margin), N4 (by a LOT), and Z1. If they fix the white balance issues, we'd have a real winner.

Again, these are just impressions based on this test only.

Excellent camera comparison here: http://recombu.com/mobile/news/google-nexus-5-camera-comparison_M19696.html

Pits the Nexus 5 against the Apple iPhone 5S, Google Nexus 4, HTC One, Nokia Lumia 1020, Samsung Galaxy Note 3, Samsung Galaxy S4 and the Sony Xperia Z.

My thoughts:

1. Dear fucking lord, the Nexus 4 camera is a steaming pile. It does the worst in almost every scenario. I want to throw mine in the garbage.
2. iPhone 5S and Lumia consistently do well, but don't win every category, which surprised me.
3. Nexus 5 in low/no-light, no flash is damn good. Retains the natural colors, a good amount of detail and captures most of the scene. I think it arguably does better than every other device, even the iPhone and Lumia. Again, LMAO @ the N4 almost having a completely black picture.
4. iPhone wins with its flash, thanks to the two-tone LED's. Nexus 5's washes out the details and makes the white balance go yellow. No surprise; flash sucks.
5. Oddly enough, in natural light, N5 does a bit poor for the same reason as above. White balance is off. It gives me the impression they designed the camera for low-light scenarios, first and foremost. This is highlighted in the high contrast picture where it does an excellent job of illuminating the inside of the house, but it has no idea how to handle the light source.
6. Overall, I'd put it somewhere near the Samsung cameras in terms of quality. It's better than them in some places; worse, in others.
7. If they can tweak the white balance to fix the odd natural light performance, it would shoot way past everything, except the Lumia and iPhone.

tl;dr: Camera seems designed for low-light scenarios. They need to tweak the white balance (a software fix). It rivals Samsung's flagships, and trumps the HTC One (by a decent margin), N4 (by a LOT), and Z1. If they fix the white balance issues, we'd have a real winner.

Again, these are just impressions based on this test only.

Man...HTC One camera sucks.

The whole yellowness thing is frightening though

Ok.. advice. I know I'm going to be a weak son of a bitch and get this damn thing. Seems like more than enough improvements over the N4 to justify it....

Currently I'm not under contract with TMobile so no ETF if I do whatever. I pay about $75/month with my plan after student discount and taxes for unlimited data, texts, unlimited* data plus I have an internet device which has 2.5GB of data on it's own. Not a bad deal at all, but I can do better.

The main dilemma is that I work for a university and I use my personal phone for work too. I do get a payment of $105/month for that. However, I'm wary of using my personal number, etc. while calling students or other people. The N4 can be sold for $120 too.

I'm considering using two phones - one strictly for personal voice and data then one for voice/text for calling students/others for work. I don't mind using personal data for work related tasks too such as for email, etc.

Seems the first step should be to port my existing number to Google Voice. Beyond that is just seems like a tossup between a combo of T-Mobile's $30 plan, StraightTalk or some other voice/text only plan for work. I would like to have contrasting networks such as ATT and TMobile for coverage reasons as I travel frequently. With the voice/data plan likely going to the StraighTalk option. Then getting rid of the internet device since WiFi is pretty widespread enough plus I think I can get away with some occasional tethering via the Nexus device in emergencies.

Edit: I know the plan(s) could end up being near the same price, but the added ATT coverage area could help in my situation even if through a prepaid carrier like ST.

Wag

I never had an android device. Now that I ordered one will I want to switch my browsing on my PC over from Firefox to Chrome? How's Firefox on android?

Hieberrr

Canada, my phone has shipped... from Louisville, KY?

Estimated arrival is 11/6. :(

Why did they have Canadian warehouses filled if they were just going to send it from the states...

It's always done like that if you order through Google Play. Canadian warehouses are for carrier and retail stores.

Chris R

Only thing that sucks is the fact that I didn't see that 16GB extra storage was only $50 more :( I only have a 16GB phone at the moment and have ~6GB free, but whatever.

Mine still hasn't shipped, but I ordered two hours after everyone else. I'm not in a rush. I still gotta get my Straight Talk SIM card.

Feels weird going from contact to no contract... considering this time last year I made the reverse jump. Such a big mistake.

Got my email telling me it shipped along with the email telling me my new tv shipped. It was a wonderful day.

On another note, I may have persuaded my friend to jump into the prepaid nexus market

hitsugi

Jesus!

OK, now to compare the Galaxy Nexus, take the Nexus 4 image, darken it further, and crank the noise up by about 145%.

Yeah, it's almost hard to believe the two photos were shot in the same light. But that's what the N4 had to offer people... And we got by with that for a year. I'm ready.

teiresias

Yeah, it's almost hard to believe the two photos were shot in the same light. But that's what the N4 had to offer people... And we got by with that for a year. I'm ready.

I don't know if it's hard to believe actually. I mean the exposures are completely different and all things being equal one could assume the N4 shot was metered off the view out of the window and the N5 shot was metered off somewhere in the room - that's why in the N4 shot the view out of the window is properly exposed and the room is underexposed and in the N5 shot the room is properly exposed and the view out of the window is completely blowing out the whites.

I mean obviously the N5 camera is better, that particular shot just doesn't really demonstrate anything without knowing exactly how each one was metering.

Ephemeris

That's what I'm looking at too. A lot better than I expected from 3-5 day shipping with that disclaimer that it would go out on or before the 5th!

You're absolutely right. I'm good. We're getting it the day it's supposed to ship out!

(Plus we get it a day before Andrex so yay.)

Kintaco

So excited! Have my T-Mobile micro sim and Spigen Ultra Hybrid ordered. Hopefully my phone ships soon, I was at my sons Halloween parade so I ordered 2 hours later than most people.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom