• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 5 available as of now, starting at $349

Status
Not open for further replies.

this_guy

Got my shipping confirmation yesterday. I ordered a white 16gb at 1:09 pm central time (9 minutes after it went on sale). Scheduled for delivery by end of day Nov 6 in Houston TX.

hitsugi

Very clearly a rushed review to reap the clicks, as highlighted by the pointless battery section. Still, it's positive.

Speaking of battery:

17% with 5hr+ screen on time: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=47038305&postcount=98

Wifi on, mediocre cellular signal, location reporting on, etc.

Now that is impressive battery life.

Also, that is the first review I've seen to snub the screen on the N5. Every one else has said stellar things, I think.

RGM79

No one knows the answer?
As far as I know, Android and iOS have different standards for in-line button control on earphones. Unless the earphones specifically say they are android compatible or if they only advertise iPhone compatibility, then it's unlikely to work. I've seen a headset that advertises compatibility with both, and it had a tiny switch to select between iPhone and Android button compatibility.

If I were you, I'd just change earphones instead of changing phones, unless that was a really good (and expensive) set or something. I think there are cheap adaptors that I think will let you use in-line buttons meany for iPhone with an Android device, but they are inelegant and add to the length of the earphone cable.

WtHbaQU.jpg

Someone posted this. It made me feel better. If mine ships out on Monday, I could still get it Tuesday. As for now, it's still fucking pending.

werks

Banned
Quick question for the guys who own it: Can you use earphones with mic that work on iphones? Do the volume buttons work too?

The reason i asked this was because i owned a galaxy s3 for 2 months and went back to iphone for this reason.

Current iPhone headphone controls work with Nexus 4. Dunno about Nexus 5.

Important: Please note that your tracking number may take up to 24 hours to activate. Once your tracking number is active, you can check the status of your shipment here:

Order date: Oct 31, 2013 1:11:18 PM CDT

Ordered the 32GB White. Received email this morning. Shipping info not yet updated on UPS site.

Very clearly a rushed review to reap the clicks, as highlighted by the pointless battery section. Still, it's positive.

Speaking of battery:

17% with 5hr+ screen on time: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=47038305&postcount=98

Wow. Now that is impressive.

EmiPrime

Package loaded onto van for delivery at 6am. Depot barely 30 minutes drive away. No delivery.

Apparently £10 postage wasn't enough to get a Saturday delivery out of Parcel Force. :(

WtHbaQU.jpg

Someone posted this. It made me feel better. If mine ships out on Monday, I could still get it Tuesday. As for now, it's still fucking pending.

Damn, I'm so close to the 2/3 day line that I feel like I would have gotten it in 3 days if I bought ground shipping. Not bad though, I was afraid of it initially shipping from California which would have taken forever.

Package loaded onto van for delivery at 6am. Depot barely 30 minutes drive away. No delivery.

Apparently £10 postage wasn't enough to get a Saturday delivery out of Parcel Force. :(

If it was loaded onto the van then why wouldn't it be delivered today? It's pretty early in the day to claim you won't get it if it's currently out for delivery.

SimleuqiR

Speaking of battery:

That's impressive.

I love the line "The best Nexus yet". Well no shit sherlock! Every new Nexus is the best Nexus yet.

I hope Google puts the camera app for the Nexus 5 and Nexus 4 on the play store so they can update it on a more regular basis (Just like Moto did for the Moto X).

Android 4.4 KitKat is more conceptual than feature-rich.

I also have a problem with this statement. How is Google Search/Now taken over the launcher not a HUGE new feature.

Dazzla

I bought one spur of the moment. Popped out to CPW who had it in stock, £295.

The hardware itself is lovely. I don't see an issue with brightness, seemed suitably bright.

The camera seemed fairly laggy. Slow to focus and then capture. Really struggled to focus and capture my 17 month old. For static scenes the camera seemed great.

I should point out that the phone is for my mum. She's switching from an iPhone 3 so this is a revolution. I just have concerns about the camera for her.

Now that is impressive battery life.

Also, that is the first review I've seen to snub the screen on the N5. Every one else has said stellar things, I think.

I don't think he snubs it, really. But, it is super nitpicky. Turning off the lights, using maximum brightness, and putting it next to other phones isn't exactly everyday usage. It's more like playing one of those "spot the difference" games at a bar.

And, like you said, most other impressions have been borderline-gushing over the screen.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
I bought one spur of the moment. Popped out to CPW who had it in stock, £295.

The hardware itself is lovely. I don't see an issue with brightness, seemed suitably bright.

The camera seemed fairly laggy. Slow to focus and then capture. Really struggled to focus and capture my 17 month old. For static scenes the camera seemed great.

I should point out that the phone is for my mum. She's switching from an iPhone 3 so this is a revolution. I just have concerns about the camera for her.

Somebody said earlier the camera is slower when Hdr is turned on. Is that the case with yours?

Fraxin

I just ordered mine yesterday, 32 GB Black. It said shipping in 2-3 weeks and they already charged me. I actually don't know if I did the right choice since I read some news that it will be available Mid-November in all regions, which somehow makes me rethink the decision I made. When it ships it will take time until I receive it (about a week) since I don't live in the States. Was wondering if that news is true, the Nexus 4 took about 4-5 months to appear here in the stores and was overpriced, so I thought with this Nexus it will take time until it reaches other regions. Is it going to be available elsewhere while Google Play don't have any stock?

EmiPrime

If it was loaded onto the van then why wouldn't it be delivered today? It's pretty early in the day to claim you won't get it if it's currently out for delivery.

It's 5PM here and they don't deliver on a Saturday after around 1PM.

As for why it wouldn't be delivered if it was loaded up this morning, they are just a really crap courier.

nico1982

Order date: Oct 31, 2013 1:11:18 PM CDT

Ordered the 32GB White. Received email this morning. Shipping info not yet updated on UPS site.
I ordered a 32 GB Black on Oct 31, 2013 8:46:19 PM CET. The item was expected to be dispatched from warehouse on 15th of november, but I've just received the e-mail with the tracking number.

Mine still hasn't shipped, but I ordered two hours after everyone else. I'm not in a rush. I still gotta get my Straight Talk SIM card.

Feels weird going from contact to no contract... considering this time last year I made the reverse jump. Such a big mistake.

Come back into the light, bro. It's the only way to live. Straight Talk is awesome.

I don't think UPS lets you do that. If you try to request it online, it tells you to come the next business day (Monday). Maybe if you try calling, it will be different?

I have UPS My Choice and that usually lets you reroute packages for ~$5, they could do it but they seem to only let me reroute it to a UPS store and because earliest it'd be ready for pickup on Monday, theres no real point to change anythng in my case

hitsugi

Twitter chatter says that the camera is really good

I think for the most part the camera is going to be up to par; slightly behind the 5s and Lumia, but leagues ahead of the N4s offering. Solely judging by comparison shots though.

I wasn't buying this for the camera, but I've been pleasantly surprised from what I've seen leaked so far. It's definitely good enough for me.

Twitter chatter says that the camera is really good

Indeed, the chatter has bern good, just not on the Verge's feed. Josh said it's hot garbage, even in low light. *shrug*

Based on the tests I've seen so far, however, it's capable of very great shots, especially in low light. It does need some software tweaking, because it can be inconsistent. Hopefully, Google updates the camera via the store, a la Moto X.

tirminyl

Indeed, the chatter has bern good, just not on the Verge's feed. Josh said it's hot garbage, even in low light. *shrug*

I thought he had some funky setting on? You're talking about the vidcast thing they did right?

I've been checking other places and they all have been saying the camera is good. As much as a techy as I am, I don't care too much about the camera. As long as it can take pics but its a big step up for me if its better than my Galaxy Nexus.

Tenacious-V

Thinks his PR is better than yours.

Yeah I'm not going back to that site again.

I know they've always had an apple leaning perspective, so you just factor in that it's the verge when reading about other stuff. But after watching that Nexus 5 hands on and seeing clear subjective bias in attitude, not worth it.

It's nice having a site with high production value, but Objective journalism seems really hard to come by for the verge folks....

EmiPrime

I was hoping for a camera about as good or a bit better (depending on the situation) as the one on the iPhone 5/5c. If that's what I am getting I am more than happy.

I know they've always had an apple leaning perspective, so you just factor in that it's the verge when reading about other stuff. But after watching that Nexus 5 hands on and seeing clear subjective bias in attitude, not worth it.

It's nice having a site with high production value, but Objective journalism seems really hard to come by for the verge folks....

To be fair, Josh railed on iOS7. He really, really hated it. He uses a Moto X as his daily driver, and thinks Apple lost the plot in terms of software.

He's just really into cameras, and he likes the iPhone's, for good reason. Apple puts a lot of work into their cameras and software, and Google doesn't. That's evident by the fact they changed nothing about the poor stock camera app, except adding ONE feature: HDR+. Apple overhauled the whole thing, and added a lot of goodies.

KitKat's camera app deserved similar treatment.

roddur

the site says 4-5 weeks delivery. so when the credit card will be charged, the time the order is placed or when the item is shipped?

hitsugi

Apple puts a lot of work into their cameras and software, and Google doesn't. That's evident by the fact they changed nothing about the poor stock camera app, except adding ONE feature: HDR+. Apple overhauled the whole thing, and added a lot of goodies.

Yeah.. the stock app is really bad. In fact, I think it got even worse with the last update it had which made it even harder to access options (having to go through 2 or 3 layers of other options first). This is why I paid for Camera Zoom FX a while back

To be fair, Josh railed on iOS7. He really, really hated it. He uses a Moto X as his daily driver, and thinks Apple lost the plot in terms of software.

He's just really into cameras, and he likes the iPhone's, for good reason. Apple puts a lot of work into their cameras and software, and Google doesn't. That's evident by the fact they changed nothing about the poor stock camera app, except adding ONE feature: HDR+. Apple overhauled the whole thing, and added a lot of goodies.

KitKat has a whole new photo editing tool I believe. Not built into the camera app though.
But, I don't expect the camera of Nexus 5 at 349$ to match iPhone 5s at almost 2x the price.

Anyway, XDA thread with lots of pictures and media taken from N5:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2477920

Tenacious-V

Thinks his PR is better than yours.

That's understandable. Everyone has a preference for something or another, but having a prebaked blanket bias against something before you even pick it up is not professional or acceptable to me.

That just turned me off to the whole site. You can have a preference for something, but when you're showing things to the whole world, at least try to be as objective as possible in your presentation.

Fraxin

the site says 4-5 weeks delivery. so when the credit card will be charged, the time the order is placed or when the item is shipped?

I got charged just after I placed the order, which was weird since they told me that they won't until it started shipping.

Cipherr

Yeah. I can sort of forgive them with their camera issues. The N5 camera looks like it will be a step up, but its not going to be 5S levels. And it would be fortunate to be iPhone5 levels. Lets be real here, Apple kicks ass with their cameras, second only to Nokia. Samsung is pretty good lately too.

But that doesn't excuse the attitude during that N5 hands on. I understand if he didn't want to be there, everyone has days like that at work. But Christ, he should have made it less obvious. I still don't think there is any Android or Apple bias at the Verge. They fling shit fairly equally IMO.

Except Nokia and Windows phone. They HATE those.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Yeah the Verge isn't really biased as whole. They're just cynical bastards who like talking about themselves rather than phones lol.

Dazzla

I think for the most part the camera is going to be up to par; slightly behind the 5s and Lumia, but leagues ahead of the N4s offering. Solely judging by comparison shots though.

Comparison shots may be deceiving. Static scenes look excellent, it's just not a quick snapper. It'll be useful to see videos of the camera performance if the camera is high on your list of priorities.

I'm a bit disappointed with the hangouts SMS integration as well. It's not very seamless. A hangout thread and SMS thread aren't joined together in a continuous list like something like iMessage. You need to chop and change between a SMS and hangout conversation within the contacts entry in the hangout app.

Edit: just for comparison the performance seems similar to Lumina 820 and 920 in terms of focus speed and shot to shot time.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016

Josh was pretty lukewarm about ios 7. Honestly people need to stop saying site X is biased. Read a bunch of opinions and form your own. Will work out better.

Reviews are rarely objective. The only way that would work is if we went off of specific quantitative stats only. And honestly the best speced devices are rarely the best devices to use.

Okay so i am off contract on verizon. I pay my mom 50 bucks a month for service.
Should i just bust out a htc one and flash it to a google edition or switch to t mobile and get a nexus 5 and pay 60 a month?

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
KitKat has a whole new photo editing tool I believe. Not built into the camera app though.
But, I don't expect the camera of Nexus 5 at 349$ to match iPhone 5s at almost 2x the price.

Anyway, XDA thread with lots of pictures and media taken from N5:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2477920

How much does the iPhone cost in the US?

http://store.apple.com/ca/buy-iphone/iphone5s

The iPhone is just over twice the price of the Nexus 5 in Canada.

The Verge isn't Apple biased. They might have been a long time ago but Josh has been an Android user since JB and they ripped apart iOS 7 when it launched.

The Nexus 5 hands on was more piss poor and unprofessional than it was biased. You guys need to chill out with the iVerge stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom