• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 5 available as of now, starting at $349

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can any fellow canadians that got shipping confirmation tell me what time you ordered?

I ordered at 11:37 PDT and have not received shipping confirmation yet so I was curious.

Also, if they're shipping from the US, I really hope to fucking god they're not shipping with UPS, so that they can charge me some absurd 70+ dollar brokerage fee or some other bullshit. Every time some company ships with them I always get hosed.

o_O phone shipped today at 9:28pm according to UPS, and its in my city at 1:42am...damn too bad UPS doesn't deliver on weekends...

Can any fellow canadians that got shipping confirmation tell me what time you ordered?

I ordered at 11:37 PDT and have not received shipping confirmation yet so I was curious.

Also, if they're shipping from the US, I really hope to fucking god they're not shipping with UPS, so that they can charge me some absurd 70+ dollar brokerage fee or some other bullshit. Every time some company ships with them I always get hosed.

I ordered on Oct 31, 2013 3:40 PM EST.

I received the email today with shipping info.

Scheduled Delivery:
Wednesday, 11/06/2013, By End of Day

Sweetness, this is my favorite part about getting a new phone. Love messing with ROMs/kernels.

I ordered on Oct 31, 2013 3:40 PM.

Scheduled Delivery:
Just a few minutes before me. Maybe I'll be getting mine shipped soonish (Monday).

I never had an android device. Now that I ordered one will I want to switch my browsing on my PC over from Firefox to Chrome? How's Firefox on android?

I think FF is way way better than the Chrome browser on Android, at least in my experience. I also switched to FF on PC in the last few months as well. YMMV.

Cipherr

I never had an android device. Now that I ordered one will I want to switch my browsing on my PC over from Firefox to Chrome? How's Firefox on android?

FF is great on Android. Has tab/bookmark/password/addon syncing and all. No need to switch browsers if you use Firefox. Just use the mobile Firefox browser.

reKon

Banned
I need former HTC One owners to let me know how this does with one handed use vs the HTC One.

After my 6 months or so with this phone, I love the performance, but if there was one thing that's annoyed me the most, it has been the lack of updates (which I've finally gotten!) and the height (I feel like it was a tad bit easier to use the Gnex one handed). I don't know I'll get the Nexus 5 or wait until next year because the HTC One is still absolutely excellent, but one thing I don't think I can live without is WiFi Calling (at least for now b/c of my location). I lose that when I go Nexus w/ T-Mobile.

Akira

My iPhone 4's dock connector crapped out after I spilled coffee on it and need a replacement phone ASAP. The N5's great specs and price is appealing to my wallet. I can't believe Google went all out on its specs and are able to release at that price. The only downside is the lack of MicroSD. I was totally going to wait for the next Xperia flagship that will probably be announced at CES. Sony's design and waterproof chassis draw me to them but that is too far away anyway.

Now, two decisions to make: (1) 16GB or 32GB and (2) Black or White?

My iPhone 4's dock connector crapped out after I spilled coffee on it and need a replacement phone ASAP. The N5's great specs and price is appealing to my wallet. I can't believe Google went all out on its specs and are able to release at that price. The only downside is the lack of MicroSD. I was totally going to wait for the next Xperia flagship that will probably be announced at CES. Sony's design and waterproof chassis draw me to them but that is too far away anyway.

Now, two decisions to make: (1) 16GB or 32GB and (2) Black or White?

32GB White!

reminder

My plan was to wait until next month because of the PS4 launch this month. Then i saw the Nexus 5 16GB black is available again... And i ordered it. I'm weak.

Akira

wohoo shipped! expected to be delivered in Tuesday.

When did you order yours? It says if I order now delivery will be within 3-4 weeks. Did it sell out?

Edit: When do T-Mobile/Sprint/etc receive their phones? Could I buy it unlocked from them? I would like to have the phone ASAP, but if I can't I'll just use a spare phone.

Ferr986

When did you order yours? It says if I order now delivery will be within 3-4 weeks. Did it sell out?

Edit: When do T-Mobile/Sprint/etc receive their phones? Could I buy it unlocked from them? I would like to have the phone ASAP, but if I can't I'll just use a spare phone.

I ordered it the same day it launched. Initially it showed 8. Nov as the shipment date.

I ordered the 32gb black and it's shipped yesterday so should hopefully get it on Monday. Does anyone know the type of SIM card that it takes?
I currently have an iPhone 5, will I have to change/mod the sim?

I ordered the 32gb black and it's shipped yesterday so should hopefully get it on Monday. Does anyone know the type of SIM card that it takes?

Micro

An important tidbit for anyone thinking about snagging a Nexus 5 and putting an existing SIM card into it: Though early reports suggested the Nexus 5 might use a nano-SIM, the Nexus 5 sticks with familiar territory and uses a micro-SIM instead. Micro. Not nano. Comprendo?

http://blogs.computerworld.com/android/23064/nexus-5

CronoShot

My phone is already in my city, but my estimated delivery is still Monday.

Sure would be nice to get it today, UPS!

iPhone 5 uses a nano sim, but you can get a nano to micro sim adapter for a few bucks on Amazon.

My phone is already in my city, but my estimated delivery is still Monday.

Sure would be nice to get it today, UPS!

iPhone 5 uses a nano sim, but you can get a nano to micro sim adapter for a few bucks on Amazon.

I always just went to tmobile store and they gave me a sim free

CronoShot

call ups and ask if you can pick it up? don't think they deliver on Saturday afaik

They do, but it has to be marked for Saturday delivery for them to do it.

It's no big deal. I work both days this weekend, and the case I ordered doesn't come in until Monday either, so I'll probably just wait.

Thanks guys, I'll order an adapter for the nano sim.
Can't wait for the Nexus to arrive, this will be my first real android device!

javac

A guy I know just walked into cpw and picked it up day-one first thing in the morning. Ain't nobody got time for shipping.

I've been with iPhones for years now, but I'm wondering about trying this. If I picked up one, can I just put my AT&T sim card in there and activate it? How does that work?

Husker86

I've been with iPhones for years now, but I'm wondering about trying this. If I picked up one, can I just put my AT&T sim card in there and activate it? How does that work?

Yeah just need to put SIM card in. However you will need an adapter if you have a 5/5S.

Looks like my phone is scheduled to be delivered Monday. Its sitting in the distribution center this weekend and I'm tempted to call and see if I can go get it today...

Argyle

I ordered on Oct 31, 2013 3:40 PM EST.

Scheduled Delivery:

Lucky! You ordered 32gb white? If so I ordered the same, but 15 minutes earlier...no shipment confirmation yet, though...

Looks like my phone is scheduled to be delivered Monday. Its sitting in the distribution center this weekend and I'm tempted to call and see if I can go get it today...

I don't think UPS lets you do that. If you try to request it online, it tells you to come the next business day (Monday). Maybe if you try calling, it will be different?

Tenacious-V

Thinks his PR is better than yours.
What kind of adapter is this?

If iPhone 5 is a nano sim, you'll need one like the top one. MicroSIM is pretty much the standard now for all non apple smartphones.

nanosim_microsim_normal_sim_adapter.jpg

abracadaver

CNET review posted yet ?

http://reviews.cnet.com/google-nexus-5/

While our handset is still undergoing battery testing, preliminary observations show that with brightness levels cranked all the way up, the phone streamed an HD video on LTE for approximately 20 minutes and lost 13 percent of its battery life.

The good: The Google Nexus 5 is the first Nexus introduced with LTE (finally), has a sleek and solid build and an excellent price, and makes crystal-clear calls. Integration of Google Now is deep and wide.

The bad:
The Nexus 5's screen is dimmer than its competitors' and its camera struggles under auto settings. While an important OS update, Android 4.4 KitKat is more conceptual than feature-rich.

The bottom line: Strong performance, high-end specs, and an ultra-affordable price make the Google Nexus 5 not just the best unlocked phone on the market, but the best Nexus phone by far.

KanyeEast

Banned
Quick question for the guys who own it: Can you use earphones with mic that work on iphones? Do the volume buttons work too?

The reason i asked this was because i owned a galaxy s3 for 2 months and went back to iphone for this reason.

No one knows the answer?

I don't know if this has already been asked but I'm a Nexus 4 user on T-Mobile's $30 prepaid plan (unlimited data, 100 min/month talk). Will I be able to use the microsim in the Nexus 4 on the Nexus 5?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom