• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 5 available as of now, starting at $349

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ

The Google Nexus 5 is the first Nexus introduced with LTE (finally

5vc1RwM.png

Spinluck

How much does the iPhone cost in the US?

http://store.apple.com/ca/buy-iphone/iphone5s

The iPhone is just over twice the price of the Nexus 5 in Canada.

Lol oh man, that is nuts.

KitKat has a whole new photo editing tool I believe. Not built into the camera app though.
But, I don't expect the camera of Nexus 5 at 349$ to match iPhone 5s at almost 2x the price.

Anyway, XDA thread with lots of pictures and media taken from N5:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2477920

Wow, I'm in it for the low-lights alone. Thank goodness that improved! On my S3 those pictures would've came out almost pitch black.

Drakeon

Ugh, my phone is just sitting in a warehouse for the next 2 days. Wish I could go pick it up :(

Also have to wait 2 more days for my sim card, so it'll be a nice 5-inch wifi tablet until then (I think, someone correct me if I'm wrong).

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
They just don't consider price being that they aren't consumers. I guess. Which is pretty absurd.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Yeah I'm not going back to that site again.

I know they've always had an apple leaning perspective, so you just factor in that it's the verge when reading about other stuff. But after watching that Nexus 5 hands on and seeing clear subjective bias in attitude, not worth it.

It's nice having a site with high production value, but Objective journalism seems really hard to come by for the verge folks....

I don't think the Verge, and Josh especially, are pro-iOS biased at all. In fact for the past year they've been pretty Google-leaning from my view, with fairly large and well-produced exclusive features like "I Used Google Glass," "Redesigning Google," and last year's big unveiling of the Nexus 4, Nexus 10, and Android 4.2 ("Inside Android's Next Wave.") They also seemingly had early access to the Moto X, with their in-depth "This is the Moto X" article.

They've done nothing similar for iOS or Apple, from my view. Just the standard breaking news articles, and reviews. Plus, as Vyse said, Josh has been using an Android phone as his main phone since the Galaxy Nexus, and he heavily railed on iOS 7.

But of course, the toughest love can come from your most ardent supported. I've been known to flip out on Google over some things as well.

Dizzan

MINI Member
Ordered at 8pm on Friday night Sydney' Australia time. It said 2 to 3 weeks for the white 32gb model. Just got an email saying I should have it by tomorrow! Well done Google. First time you haven't botched a launch.

Now to sell my 1 month old s4. Anybody interested before I put it on eBay?

Kanyon

Just got the email that my Nexus 5 has shipped, whooooo! Wasn't expecting it until after November 15... Thank you based Googy!

I feel like Best Buy just put up a placeholder like a lot of retailers both in person and online do for a lot of different items. Seems like a overreaction from Verge.

They've already updated where it is instead a $100 markup.

Not that I want to defend Best Buy or anything.

Edit: I'm such a little bitch. I just ordered a black 32GB. We'll see how long it takes.

I'd assume the best course of action for the plan is to port my number to Google Voice. Activate the $30 TMobile plan which is 100 minutes, 5GB and unlimited texts, then forward the new number to Voice? And use a VOIP app to help use wifi/data for calls.

Then for the work phone I'll just find like a $30 prepaid plan(StraightTalk or Net10) with minutes and texts and use whatever device I don't care about. Seems the best way to save even more.

Shambles

To be fair, Josh railed on iOS7. He really, really hated it. He uses a Moto X as his daily driver, and thinks Apple lost the plot in terms of software.

He's just really into cameras, and he likes the iPhone's, for good reason. Apple puts a lot of work into their cameras and software, and Google doesn't. That's evident by the fact they changed nothing about the poor stock camera app, except adding ONE feature: HDR+. Apple overhauled the whole thing, and added a lot of goodies.

KitKat's camera app deserved similar treatment.

It just doesn't make sense to me because the iphone cameras are just as big of pieces of shit as every other flagship camera. It would make more sense to me if he was bitching about the N5 camera while propping up the 1020 camera which at least can give the budget point and shoots a run for their money. Someone earlier compared it to a tallest midget contest which summed it up perfectly for me. I don't know, perhaps it's mostly the camera app differences that frustrate him the most. Phone cameras are for catching your drunk friends doing something stupid while in the moment. None of them are good enough for important or semi-important moments. I look forward to 10 years down the road where technology has progressed to the point where we can actually get a 'good enough' camera inside a phone.

I think I'm just frustrated by the yearly circle jerk that appears at every new release. Every time a new phone comes out on any of the platforms it's the "best thing ever, amazing improvements over last year" and then the next year everyone acts like it was a turd on a stick only to prop up the next newest model as the 'finally we've made something good' tipping point which. Which of course, in turn, is called a steaming pile of garbage the following year.

JordanKZ

I've posted a few times on DroidGAF, but I was very lucky to pick up a white N5 for £295 (£5 less than the Play Store...!) yesterday morning. There was a one small carphone warehouse selling them around 20 minutes from where my parents lived (where I was staying until this morning).

Pros
  • Battery life seems massively improved over the N4 in my usage so far. My Nexus 4 would start to die after 2 1/2 hours on screen time on auto brightness. I get around 4 hours on the N5 with auto brightness (this is watching online video, viewing websites). However, the auto brightness is far, far brighter. I'd think if you start to lower it, you'll get towards 5 hours. No joke.
  • The screen, the specs. Enough said, they're awesome. The screen is a thing of beauty. Everything loads insanely fast.
  • Kitkat is great. I love the little touches, improvements and the look of it. I'm looking forward to it being on my Nexus 7 (2013) some time soon.
  • Whilst the camera isn't the be all and end all as some hope it would be, the sensor itself seems very solid. The software needs some tweaking, low light conditions seems great, it doesn't always nail the shot as well as it should.

Cons
  • Notification, click noises are very quiet. I don't even know why. The lower speaker is pretty respectable, but even at the highest settings... They're still super quiet. Which is a shame.
  • Hangouts SMS situation, I know this is software, but still. WHY HAVE TWO SEPARATE CONVERSATIONS FOR THE SAME CONTACT GAHHH?! My computer based OCD is clearly coming into play here.

reKon

Banned
I was lied to! The Nexus 5 is pretty much the same size as the HTC One after looking at the dimensions. People here were saying that it was slightly smaller than the Nexus 4, which isn't true. It's a little taller than the Nexus 4 so I don't know why some you guys have been saying it was smaller..

Laekon

So I'm moving from a Galaxy Nexus to the Nexus 5. I've never switched Android phones so is there a way to import settings and data? Android doesn't really seem to have a back up like iOS does. I only have a few games and apps I use regularly but I'd rather them not lose all their info.

Cipherr

• Hangouts SMS situation, I know this is software, but still. WHY HAVE TWO SEPARATE CONVERSATIONS FOR THE SAME CONTACT GAHHH?! My computer based OCD is clearly coming into play here.

I finally ran into this so I understand what people are talking about. Yeah they should definitely merge them. I'm actually not quite sure why they didn't. Hopefully that will be done soon.

I was lied to! The Nexus 5 is pretty much the same size as the HTC One after looking at the dimensions. People here were saying that it was slightly smaller than the Nexus 4, which isn't true. It's a little taller than the Nexus 4 so I don't know why some you guys have been saying it was smaller..

Roughly same width, thinner, and weighs less. But its taller, on the whole it would feel like a smaller device.

I finally ran into this so I understand what people are talking about. Yeah they should definitely merge them. I'm actually not quite sure why they didn't. Hopefully that will be done soon.

Roughly same width, thinner, and weighs less. But its taller, on the whole it would feel like a smaller device.

iOS patent maybe?

trixx

Should i upgrade from nexus 4 or no. To be honest i don't care about internals and such like phone being slightly faster. But if it is a actual significant upgrade and camera is better i might bite

hitsugi

Should i upgrade from nexus 4 or no. To be honest i don't care about internals and such like phone being slightly faster. But if it is a actual significant upgrade and camera is better i might bite

You should already be sold, then. However, the only way to know if the camera is going to be a big improvement in your hands is by using one

nico1982

Early leaks had it 131 mm tall, versus Nexus 4 134 mm. Actual dimensions have been revealed just a few days ago with the Wind leak, iirc. This might explain why some people thought it is smaller.

It was mainly the battery life that pushed me. N4 is ok. But it's like you better have an outlet or car charger nearby!

Camera doesn't hurt either.

OmegaFax

So I'm moving from a Galaxy Nexus to the Nexus 5. I've never switched Android phones so is there a way to import settings and data? Android doesn't really seem to have a back up like iOS does. I only have a few games and apps I use regularly but I'd rather them not lose all their info.

Helium is free in Google Play and it doesn't require root privileged to use.

I use Titanium Backup and it is a lot more comprehensive. I've never had a problem restoring downloaded applications on different devices, data and all, games included.

For system settings, Google has a backup/restore service but I have no idea how it works and I think it only works on the same device. You probably will have to redo your system and Google account settings on your device manually at the very least.

Helium and Titanium Backup will save you the leg work of having to type in every password for Twitter, eBay, Amazon, etc.

Battery life appears to be anywhere from 20-25% better, and the camera isn't hot garbage anymore. If either matters to you and you can afford $350, then it's a no-brainer.

Rootbeer

Banned
Well, any fears I had about the camera are put to rest. It may not be on par with the 5s but it's not as far off as it could have been. It looks perfectly servicable and actually quite nice.

Can't wait to get my N5 (in about a week)!

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
I'm this close from porting my number to GV then activating the TMo prepaid SIM I have....

Just a little terrified about pulling the trigger.

Just know this: It's looking like it will be several more months, at the very least, before GV is fully integrated into Hangouts.

I still think Google Voice is a great service, but it has been neglected badly by Google.

Just know this: It's looking like it will be several more months, at the very least, before GV is fully integrated into Hangouts.

I still think Google Voice is a great service, but it has been neglected badly by Google.

What is the significance of Hangouts? As I understand it, it is a chat program basically. This T-Mo plan has unlimited texts as a default.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom