• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 5 available as of now, starting at $349

Status
Not open for further replies.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
What is the significance of Hangouts? As I understand it, it is a chat program basically. This T-Mo plan has unlimited texts as a default.

Having everything under one place instead of messages spread everywhere.

Those pictures look good. I'm definitely buying this now.

OmegaFax

I'm confused. Let's say I port my existing number to GV. Would the standard message app just use that number?

You'd still have two numbers. One for GV and one associated to your cell service. Sprint was the only carrier to offer integration of Google Voice into their service and I think they phased it out.

CyanogenMod 10.2 has Google Voice integration into the main stock messaging app.

I wish Google would solve this once and for all.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
N5 low light:

OlEpTd8.png

HTC One low light:

So blurry.
6SuC9aX.png

wow

You'd still have two numbers. One for GV and one associated to your cell service. Sprint was the only carrier to offer integration of Google Voice into their service and I think they phased it out.

CyanogenMod 10.2 has Google Voice integration into the main stock messaging app.

I wish Google would solve this once and for all.

Ah I see. So calls can be tied to the existing number through forwarding and VOIP apps. But texts would use the new carrier number which nobody would recognize.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
If you want to send and receive texts with your GV number, you'll need to use the GV app, which hasn't been updated in forever and never supported MMS. I've been texting forever that way, so it's frustrating that even with "SMS integrated in Hangouts!" I still have to use two apps, since I don't want anybody to get confused over my phone's actual number.

OmegaFax

Ah I see. So calls can be tied to the existing number through forwarding and VOIP apps. But texts would use the new carrier number which nobody would recognize.

I end up giving my Google Voice number to people and turn off outgoing caller ID when I make a call. Texting I do through the Google Voice app. I pretty much avoid the stock messaging app because outgoing messages will give away my cell's direct number. Incoming texts can be sent to stock messenger and replies can be sent back.

If I need to send an MMS to someone I know, I'll email them directly or have the proper email to MMS proxy added to the contacts.

Trust me, I'm just as confused explaining it.

I looked at porting to Google Voice and I'm afraid of canceling my cell service by mistake.

If you want to send and receive texts with your GV number, you'll need to use the GV app, which hasn't been updated in forever and never supported MMS. I've been texting forever that way, so it's frustrating that even with "SMS integrated in Hangouts!" I still have to use two apps, since I don't want anybody to get confused over my phone's actual number.

I see. That doesn't seem like toooooo big of a deal. MMS use is rare now for me personally. But are group texts handled fine? Or does that fall under MMS.

As for porting my number. I'm no longer under contract as it expired in August, so not afraid of cancelling my service or incurring an ETF. But yeah, porting your number definitely cancels your existing plan, so I don't blame you, jedivulcan.

asdad123

Im really hoping the battery life on this is good. Im very disappointed by the battery life of my 5s. I unplug it at 530 am, and by 2pm the phone is at about 50% with very light usage (check for email, texts, and some websites for about 2 minutes every 45 minutes or so)

hwy_61

Banned
So, quick question for you all:

I wasted my upgrade on a windows phone which I absolutely hated, so I've been back to my iphone 4 for a few months now. Is this phone a good upgrade from what I have now?

Thanks y'all.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail

I wasted my upgrade on a windows phone which I absolutely hated, so I've been back to my iphone 4 for a few months now. Is this phone a good upgrade from what I have now?

Thanks y'all.

Yes.

tylerf

Thanks y'all.

Toyota to a Ferrari

mturco

Well it's not like Apple spent $650 making the iPhone 5S and Google spent $350 making the Nexus 5. I mean I'm sure the 5S is more expensive to make, but it's definitely not double, that's for sure.

Well it's not like Apple spent $650 making the iPhone 5S and Google spent $350 making the Nexus 5. I mean I'm sure the 5S is more expensive to make, but it's definitely not double, that's for sure.

Google sells the 5 at about cost, Apple has a significant profit margin. Do not forget R&D, assembly, packaging, shipping, etc.

The materials may only cost $218, but that's a misleading number.

Haint

Google sells the 5 at about cost, Apple has a significant profit margin. Do not forget R&D, assembly, packaging, shipping, etc.

The materials may only cost $218, but that's a misleading number.

If carrier subsidies never existed and phones had always been sold unlocked like a normal CE at your local Big Box or Discount store, I'm pretty sure all the non-Apple flagship phones would be $300-$400 at this point. Even the latest iPhone would be $499 instead of $650. Under the carrier racket, there is no free market, and no competition on pricing. You would think one the failing manufacturers would realize they have a better chance putting a big push behind a Nexus style line than they do producing the next $700 Galaxy or iPhone.

I know a few weeks won't hurt, but dang: Ships by November 8, 2013. PENDING

This was such an impulse buy for me. It could be cheaper overall on Amazon and I'm sure problems will start to crop up as with any launch gizmo.

I also don't know how easy it's going to be to replace the battery since iFixit hasn't gotten their hands on the bugger. The plan is to keep the phone as long as possible. My current phone is a three year old Galaxy S with jelly bean and a battery replacement. Works great in almost every aspect, but I've been wanting a working GPS for a long time now.

Where can I get a flip cover that isn't the overpriced one on the google store?
Cheap ones will flood eBay in no time. And I mean dirt cheap. As low a <$1 each to 3-4 dollars. I'm going to hold off for a case that I like, but in the meantime I got a potentially ugly one that was on sale on Amazon yesterday for $3.50 shipped. http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00FEBU1ZO/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Haint

Where can I get a flip cover that isn't the overpriced one on the google store?

There are a few wallet style (flip holds credit cards and shit) on Amazon, but they're ugly and the card slots will scratch the screen. I haven't seen a plain one yet.

Very tempted to pay up for an early upgrade for this. Think it's about time I went Nexus, really getting used to it on the N7 and would rather not continue to compromise...

But of course EE/T-Mob/Orange aren't offering it, like any Nexus phones. Grumble Grumble grumble.

Fletcher

I'm this close to ordering one. Just need to psych myself up on selling my HTC One. Never sold anything online. I'm sure I could get the money to pay for this Nexus. Arrrrgg I want this phone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom