• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 5 available as of now, starting at $349

Status
Not open for further replies.

werks

Banned
Any confirmation if the Nexus 5 has panel self refresh like the G2?

Also what is the possibility that the G2's 3000mah battery will fit in the Nexus 5?

jimbor

Banned
Very tempted to pay up for an early upgrade for this. Think it's about time I went Nexus, really getting used to it on the N7 and would rather not continue to compromise...

But of course EE/T-Mob/Orange aren't offering it, like any Nexus phones. Grumble Grumble grumble.

Erm, buy it sim free direct from Google and sell your old phone? Easy route to a new phone.

Any confirmation if the Nexus 5 has panel self refresh like the G2?

Also what is the possibility that the G2's 3000mah battery will fit in the Nexus 5?

The Nexus 5's kernel makes mention of panel self refresh, and the file it links to is specific to the Nexus 5, meaning it's not generic Android code/support. However, people don't think it actually has it.

Ordered on 31st...

sogood.gif

Man I love that Google finally remembered about Italy.

Love you Google.

Symphonia

Banned
Erm, buy it sim free direct from Google and sell your old phone? Easy route to a new phone.
That's what I'm doing. I took your advice from here and the BritGAF thread - selling my iPhone 5 (via eBay or Facebook) and using the money from the sale to purchase a SIM-free Nexus directly from Google and using the nano-SIM from the iPhone, with a nano-to-micro adapter given to me by O2, on my new phone. Sorted.

jimbor

Banned
That's what I'm doing. I took your advice from here and the BritGAF thread - selling my iPhone 5 (via eBay or Facebook) and using the money from the sale to purchase a SIM-free Nexus directly from Google and using the nano-SIM from the iPhone, with a nano-to-micro adapter given to me by O2, on my new phone. Sorted.
Good stuff, glad you didn't get bent over by o2.

So for TMo's $30 prepaid plan, is it better porting your number first to Google Voice then forwarding that to the phone. Or just setup prepaid directly with your current number. I'd be porting the number from an expired TMo contract plan to prepaid.

Joco

I'm confused now. I just got an email saying that my order has shipped, but now my bank account is not showing the phone being charged to my account when previously it had appeared in my account but had not actually been charged yet. I thought once it had shipped you get charged? Or is it when it's delivered?

Esqueleto

Banned
I'd say it's a good move. You never know when a case might come in handy, and it's always a plus when they're this good looking.

I got mine yesterday. Figured google wouldn't have their cases up by the time I got my phone. Materials feel really nice. A lot nicer than my current ringke fusion.

Fraxin

I'm confused now. I just got an email saying that my order has shipped, but now my bank account is not showing the phone being charged to my account when previously it had appeared in my account but had not actually been charged yet. I thought once it had shipped you get charged? Or is it when it's delivered?

That is weird, My phone's status is pending and it will be shipped in 2-3 weeks, and I got charged just when I placed the order. Maybe I need to call customer support.

Beautiful case, but I'm pretty sure I'm going caseless. About halfway through the year I ditched my GS3's case because of ROM issues and having to remove the battery constantly. I'm doing fine. It's even survived quite a few dumbbell drops.

Stickin' with my caseless bros!

Beautiful case, but I'm pretty sure I'm going caseless. About halfway through the year I ditched my GS3's case because of ROM issues and having to remove the battery constantly. I'm doing fine. It's even survived quite a few dumbbell drops.

Stickin' with my caseless bros!

Yeah, I'll probably rock a naked Nexus 5 as well.

With the soft plastic back, I don't know if it really needs a case. My only concern is the camera, which apparently protrudes slightly.

Esqueleto

Banned
This is some bullshit... ordered on the 1st, still pending. UGH GOOGLE

Don't worry. I ordered at 11:10 am PDT. They didn't ship mine till 5 in the morning on saturday(30 hours). UPS doesn't open on weekends so it's gonna sit there till tomorrow.

Got any photos of it?

I'll take some in a bit.
Edit: I never knew the nexus 7 and 4 cameras were this bad. Ill need some better lighting outside.

northead

I'd say it's a good move. You never know when a case might come in handy, and it's always a plus when they're this good looking.
Yeah. I'm realizing that it was indeed a good purchase now.
That is a shmexy case, but I don't think I'll bite because I don't want the Nexus wordmark covered up.

I know that's probably weird of me, ha ha.

I didn't want to cover it either, but that case is just so sexy and classy.
Google's ones, albeit pretty good looking, don't seem to be coming anytime soon - we might even wait a month here in Italy, and €30 + shipping won't be exactly a steal, considering I paid €22 for this one.
Maybe I'll bite for Christmas, maybe not. I want the wireless charging pad first.

tzare

I didn't know n5 had this QFE1100 chip only available on US note 3 so far to reduce battery drain. has This been proven useful?

Jarate

Banned
Ive been thinking of getting an android phone due to my large fingers being upset at the iphones tiny screen. I was looking forward to the Note 3 or the Xperia Z Ultra, but they were way to expensive. Should I just settle on this? Will there be a huge difference other then size with this and the other 2 phones mentioned

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Ive been thinking of getting an android phone due to my large fingers being upset at the iphones tiny screen. I was looking forward to the Note 3 or the Xperia Z Ultra, but they were way to expensive. Should I just settle on this? Will there be a huge difference other then size with this and the other 2 phones mentioned

Probably not much in terms of hardware. Software will be a bit different due to Sony and Samsung using their own Android skins.

Is the Nexus 5 better than the G2? I heard so many people waiting for it.

It doesn't really seem like it, apart from the Nexus 5 not having the abnormal button placement. And LG is apparently bad about updates, which was a big turn off for me after having a phone with garbage (or rather, non-existent) support. G2 has a bigger battery, and I thought it was supposed to have a better camera but I don't know how that turned out. Maybe a better screen too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom