• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 5 available as of now, starting at $349

Status
Not open for further replies.

northead

I didn't know n5 had this QFE1100 chip only available on US note 3 so far to reduce battery drain. has This been proven useful?

Originally Written by Brian Klug
The Note 3 also is the first device to ship with Qualcomm’s QFE1100 envelope tracker solution from the RF360 front end portfolio, which lowers power consumption by up to 20 percent and heat dissipation by up to 30 percent by allowing the power amplifiers to follow the desired output waveform.

Source: AnandTech

zedge

It doesn't really seem like it, apart from the Nexus 5 not having the abnormal button placement. And LG is apparently bad about updates, which was a big turn off for me after having a phone with garbage (or rather, non-existent) support. G2 has a bigger battery, and I thought it was supposed to have a better camera but I don't know how that turned out. Maybe a better screen too.

The Nexus phone will not be affected by LGs slow updates. Its a nexus, updates from google. Not the same as a G2 with the awful skin and updates from LG.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
The Nexus phone will not be affected by LGs slow updates. Its a nexus, updates from google. Not the same as a G2 with the awful skin and updates from LG.

I meant that as a con for the G2 along with the button placement, not the Nexus 5.

it's stock android on some bomb specs. Depends how much you value stock. It's also smaller than the G2.

still waiting for my delivery this wed in canada :( so close yet so far

Why is stock Android so revered as opposed to OEM skins like Touchwiz/Sense? Does having stock allow the phone to be more customize-able or something? I would have gotten a S4 a while ago but I absolutely abhor the blue/yellow tones that dominate the UI.

I'm very close to buying the Nexus 5 over a Sony Xperia Z1 due to the recommendations of some fellow GAFers;; just waiting for a full hands-on review first.

Mr.Mike

Why is stock Android so revered as opposed to OEM skins like Touchwiz/Sense? Does having stock allow the phone to be more customize-able or something?

I'm very close to buying the Nexus 5 over a Sony Xperia Z1 due to the recommendations of some fellow GAFers;; just waiting for a full hands-on review first.

OEM skins and add-ons generally just make things worse, not better. It adds bloat and adds a bit of lag to the whole experience, and the design usually isn't as good as as what Google does in the first place.

You also receive timely updates straight from Google with the nexus line and stock android. OEMs take a while after a new version of Android comes out to update their phone, if they update them at all.

Why is stock Android so revered as opposed to OEM skins like Touchwiz/Sense? Does having stock allow the phone to be more customize-able or something?

Think of it like buying a new PC, getting it home and then finding that the manufacturer has pre-installed an array of various software packages that are meant to improve the user experience, but instead just slow the system down and provide a fancy ui for options that would be easily accessible through the stock control panel. Stock Android = PC with clean install of Windows.

A Nexus device also means you'll be first in line with new versions of Android. Other companies are often several weeks/months behind that, if they can be bothered.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Oh, the way you answered seemed the opposite. :)

The software is actually the primary reason I got a Nexus 5 over a G2, and the Z1 had it been available through my carrier. I have a Windows Phone that HTC didn't support at all, so I've been stuck missing features and have several bugs that were fixed ages ago on other phones. So support was something I really took into consideration and it's hard to beat a Nexus phone in that regard.

Also soured me on HTC.

Symphonia

Banned
I may as well post this here as it's kind of related. Selling my iPhone 5. White, 16GB. In perfect condition. Comes boxed with charger cable and earplugs. On the O2 network but can get unlocked if needed. Latest iOS software installed. I'm looking for £275 or nearest offer. Inbox me if interested.

Note, this is UK-only.

I may as well post this here as it's kind of related. Selling my iPhone 5. White, 16GB. In perfect condition. Comes boxed with charger cable and earplugs. On the O2 network but can get unlocked if needed. Latest iOS software installed. I'm looking for £275 or nearest offer. Inbox me if interested.

Note, this is UK-only.

How's that even remotely related to the Nexus 5?

JonnyBrad

Why is stock Android so revered as opposed to OEM skins like Touchwiz/Sense? Does having stock allow the phone to be more customize-able or something? I would have gotten a S4 a while ago but I absolutely abhor the blue/yellow tones that dominate the UI.

Read the section "What LG has broken" here http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2013...ets-caught-living-in-the-shadows-of-giants/2/

Thats the issue people have with OEM skins. Along with slow as fuck updates.

Sony are very light on skinning. But still slow on the updates.

I held the display model in the Carphone Warehouse today. The material on the back feels so good in the hand, Samsung et al take note, this is plastic done right. None of that hyperglaze shit here.

Sat here waiting for the courier tracking to update, its been in their depot since Friday, I'm waiting for it to change to something like 'On way to destination sorting office'.

Current Samsung Galaxy 3 user here..contract expires in a few months, should I upgrade to the N5 now? Worth it?

Bit concerned it's a little "low end" compared to Apples latest and the upcoming Samsung phone/s next year - or am I falling for the marketing?

I don't see it as worth the upgrade over the Nexus 4 to be honest. Knowing that I'll be getting kit-kat soon doesn't really push me over the tipping point. I think 720p on a phone is already overkill, and while the camera upgrade is nice, anyone decently versed with increasing / decreasing exposure and such can still get decent shots out of the N4.

The bump to LTE is nice, but at least in my case, I'm typically on Wi-fi.

I think I'll be passing on this one.

Anyone know if the battery performance increase has anything to do with Kit-kat using up less resources?

Shambles

Placed my order before it even went up on the store after someone guess the URL. Only just got my shipping notice now but my unit doesn't have a sticker yet so I'm guessing it won't be here until next week. Other people who got 3-4 weeks shipping quotes are getting theirs already. That's google for you.

XaeonBE

Let me get my wallet...
No I bought a Galaxy S4 about two months ago.
Only downside is if you don't root it, that you have too many stock apps :p

scently

I personally like the look of stock Android. The only issue I had with it has been solved in this KitKat update, and that is the fact that the app drawer's background is black instead of a view of your wallpaper. I don't like other launchers as they normally lag to the phone's operation. The worse are these OEM skins. They are just terrible. Each seems to add its own faux 3d hue on their icons and apps, thereby presenting a very inconsistent looking OS. And as others have said, they are very slow when it comes to updates.

I think the best thing these OEM can do is to give you the option to choose the default Android look or their skin layered on top. That is why the Google Edition of the HTC One and the GS4 are interesting.

I don't see it as worth the upgrade over the Nexus 4 to be honest. Knowing that I'll be getting kit-kat soon doesn't really push me over the tipping point. I think 720p on a phone is already overkill, and while the camera upgrade is nice, anyone decently versed with increasing / decreasing exposure and such can still get decent shots out of the N4.

The bump to LTE is nice, but at least in my case, I'm typically on Wi-fi.

I think I'll be passing on this one.

Anyone know if the battery performance increase has anything to do with Kit-kat using up less resources?

No. The battery improvements have to do with the N5's processor, which is leaps and bounds better than the S4 pro in the Nexus 4 in terms of efficiency and power, and the LTE enveloping thing in the chipset, which reduces power usage when on cellular radio by a significant amount. Sorry.

jey_16

Banned
Current Samsung Galaxy 3 user here..contract expires in a few months, should I upgrade to the N5 now? Worth it?

Bit concerned it's a little "low end" compared to Apples latest and the upcoming Samsung phone/s next year - or am I falling for the marketing?

There is nothing low end about this phone. Specs wise it's among the best you can buy right now compared to other 5inch phones

Ofcourse next years phones are going to better but that's the case with everything you buy

No. The battery improvements have to do with the N5's processor, which is leaps and bounds better than the S4 pro in the Nexus 4 in terms of efficiency and power, and the LTE enveloping thing in the chipset, which reduces power usage when on cellular radio by a significant amount. Sorry.

Hey nothing wrong with that lol, all good news for N5 purchasers. I might pick one up if they do a price drop down the road, I'm just not sure this is significant enough a leap for me. Maybe I'll sell my current phone to my fiance's dad or something for like $100-150 and just dive in on the rest. I'll wait for a few more reviews and maybe some hands on time with it to see.

I'm really not sure I'll be able to see a difference in screen quality, the bump from 480p to 720p on a phone wasn't THAT drastic for me, I have a feeling 720 - 1080 will be much less so.

I went into car phone warehouse today not really wanting to upgrade but I thought I'd take a look the phone. I've got to say that I honestly think that the N4 looks better. I prefer the glass look and sloping sides of the screen. Now I'm not saying the N5 looked cheap but design wise it definitely looked a step down. It's quite angular. Also the screen really isn't any wider but just a bit longer.

Just to see what I'd get I asked them how much they would give me for my N4 and they told me £57 I nearly burst out laughing. Anyway just my opinion but I think kit kat in my N4 will be good enough for me until next year's nexus phone.

I went into car phone warehouse today not really wanting to upgrade but I thought I'd take a look the phone. I've got to say that I honestly think that the N4 looks better. I prefer the glass look and sloping sides of the screen. Now I'm not saying the N5 looked cheap but design wise it definitely looked a step down. It's quite angular. Also the screen really isn't any wider but just a bit longer.

Just to see what I'd get I asked them how much they would give me for my N4 and they told me £57 I nearly burst out laughing. Anyway just my opinion but I think kit kat in my N4 will be good enough for me until next year's nexus phone.

The Nexus 4 is an undeniably sexy phone. The glass back is beautiful. But then it gets scratched. And scratched. And scratched. And then it slips out of your hand. And off the counter.

Based on what I've seen so far, the Nexus 5 is a much more practical design. It may not be as sexy as the Nexus 4, but it's going to be much more durable in the long run. And honestly, I still think it looks pretty damn good, especially compared to some of the other hideous phone designs out there (cough, cough, Samsung, cough).

No one's going to try to convince you otherwise. Do what's best for you.

For me, the better battery, much better camera, resolution bump, etc. are more than enough reason to upgrade. The leap here is the same as the Nexus S to the Galaxy Nexus. If anything, the N4 was the "skip" year for most people, yet the attractive pricing made some of us leap anyway.

Fraxin

Placed my order before it even went up on the store after someone guess the URL. Only just got my shipping notice now but my unit doesn't have a sticker yet so I'm guessing it won't be here until next week. Other people who got 3-4 weeks shipping quotes are getting theirs already. That's google for you.

Are you saying that the 3-4 weeks doesn't always apply? And if so, the 3-4 weeks shipment is for the 16 GB if I'm not mistaken not 32 GB?

No one's going to try to convince you otherwise. Do what's best for you.

For me, the better battery, much better camera, resolution bump, etc. are more than enough reason to upgrade. The leap here is the same as the Nexus S to the Galaxy Nexus. If anything, the N4 was the "skip" year for most people, yet the attractive pricing made some of us leap anyway.

I just can't justify the cost to myself. Plus the price here in the UK is a little irksome.

Luckily I've managed to keep the screen mostly scratch free. I have dropped it a fair few times and no breaks. I must just have been lucky

Mr.Mike

Are you saying that the 3-4 weeks doesn't always apply? And if so, the 3-4 weeks shipment is for the 16 GB if I'm not mistaken not 32 GB?

I ordered my phone when it said it would be 3-4 weeks and my friend ordered his right when it was put up. We both have our tracking numbers already and both seem to say that it will ship November 4th. His theory is that Google is putting together a bunch of orders from Canada and sending them to Toronto from Kentucky all at once, so maybe that has been affecting how quickly some orders get shipped out?

You both ordered the 16 GB version,right?

I ordered a black 32GB and he ordered a black 16GB.

tirminyl

Just got a notice that it shipped but my shipping status still shows "Ships by November 15". I'll probably get it by the end of the week, I hope. The case I ordered won't be here for two weeks. Ugh.

Fraxin

I ordered my phone when it said it would be 3-4 weeks and my friend ordered his right when it was put up. We both have our tracking numbers already and both seem to say that it will ship November 4th. His theory is that Google is putting together a bunch of orders from Canada and sending them to Toronto from Kentucky all at once, so maybe that has been affecting how quickly some orders get shipped out?

You both ordered the 16 GB version,right?

Piper Az

I may be in the market for a new phone. How is the camera on the N5? My current phone is the 920, and I thought the iPhone 5 is pretty good at taking pics.

There is nothing low end about this phone. Specs wise it's among the best you can buy right now compared to other 5inch phones

Ofcourse next years phones are going to better but that's the case with everything you buy

Same camera, only slightly better battery than the GS3 though right? So aside from processor and memory not much difference?

Think I might wait.. shame, love the look of the N5 but not sure its a big enough leap from the Samsung GS3.

tirminyl

I may be in the market for a new phone. How is the camera on the N5? My current phone is the 920, and I thought the iPhone 5 is pretty good at taking pics.

Below are some posts from a few in this thread regarding pics.

Anyway, XDA thread with lots of pictures and media taken from N5:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2477920

Did this get posted yet?

Nexus 5 vs Galaxy S4 - Camera Test Comparison

It looks like the camera holds its own against the S4 and then some. That flash looks decidedly less-than-great, but thankfully its low-level performance looks great.

Mine was supposed to "leave the warehouse by November 15, 2013"...

...but it just shipped out today! Excite!

I ordered it at around 11 PM CST on October 31 (about 10 hours after launch).

GatorBait

So...what wireless charger do you recommend?

I'm actually pretty interested in this, as well. I have a Nexus 7 and my Nexus 5 is on the way, so a wireless charger would be very convenient. Unfortunately, it looks like the official Nexus wireless charger is still not on the Play Store (and I'm guessing it is going to be ridiculously overpriced anyway).

The white is only white in the back right? otherwise its all black?

White version has a white earpiece in the front. Otherwise, the rest is black.

Also, these other differences:

1. Side finish, matte vs glossy in the white
  2. Back finish, soft-touch vs regular matte plastic in the white

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom