• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 5 available as of now, starting at $349

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry if this is a stupid question, but if I'm upgrading from a iPhone 4S (AT&T), can I just pop my current sim card into the Nexus 5 and be good to go? Also, do I need to make any changes to my data plan or will it just work once the sim is in the phone? Thanks in advance...

yyzjohn

Banned
Current Samsung Galaxy 3 user here..contract expires in a few months, should I upgrade to the N5 now? Worth it?

Bit concerned it's a little "low end" compared to Apples latest and the upcoming Samsung phone/s next year - or am I falling for the marketing?

What on God's great earth makes you think the Nexus 5 is "low end"?

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but if I'm upgrading from a iPhone 4S (AT&T), can I just pop my current sim card into the Nexus 5 and be good to go? Also, do I need to make any changes to my data plan or will it just work once the sim is in the phone? Thanks in advance...

I think AT&T has different plans for iPhones and everything else. Just gotta switch I think.

Cipherr

What on God's great earth makes you think the Nexus 5 is "low end"?

Well, assuming a S4 and a follow up to the HTC One launch in say, 4/5 months I would imagine he is just saying that they might be faster than the N4 hardware wise.

He would be right, but thats of course true for any phone. 5 or so months and something else is releasing, no matter when you buy.

verbum

Just got a notice that it shipped but my shipping status still shows "Ships by November 15". I'll probably get it by the end of the week, I hope. The case I ordered won't be here for two weeks. Ugh.

It means Google generated a shipping notice. It will be tomorrow evening before there is a delivery date on the UPS page.

I bought mine at 2:40pm EDT on 11/1. I just got a shipping notice as well. This is a USA delivery.

Rootbeer

Banned
My black 32GB N5 shipped! My original shipping estimate was Nov 8th... kinda shocked i'll be getting it so much earlier than that.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
White version has a white earpiece in the front. Otherwise, the rest is black.

Also, these other differences:

1. Side finish, matte vs glossy in the white
  2. Back finish, soft-touch vs regular matte plastic in the white

Hmm, they don't have the same material on the back? That makes me a bit less enthusiastic about the white version. I think it looks better than the black one, but dat soft-touch plastic...

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Anyone else switching to AIO (or already has AIO) for their new Nexus 5's? I'm on Verizon and the LTE is bountiful and blazing, but the pricing is getting pretty damn absurd (I suppose you get what you pay for...)

Basically I'm hoping that AIO is all puppies and unicorns and the LTE is just as good and pervasive, cause man, $70 for unlimited everything (throttled past 7 GB, but still) and compatibility with a true blue Nexus is making me have stars in my eyes and a whipped cream arrow down my back.

hitsugi

Anyone else switching to AIO (or already has AIO) for their new Nexus 5's? I'm on Verizon and the LTE is bountiful and blazing, but the pricing is getting pretty damn absurd (I suppose you get what you pay for...)

Basically I'm hoping that AIO is all puppies and unicorns and the LTE is just as good and pervasive, cause man, $70 for unlimited everything (throttled past 7 GB, but still) and compatibility with a true blue Nexus is making me have stars in my eyes and a whipped cream arrow down my back.

It's all good and fun with AIO until AT&T merges with LEAP and shuts AIO down... really quite public knowledge.

hitsugi

WHAT

But they just launched it in March!

I know... as soon as I found out about it I also found out they plan on axing it if that merger goes through. Kind of a strange thing... although it was weird to begin with having Straight Talk out there

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
I know... as soon as I found out about it I also found out they plan on axing it if that merger goes through. Kind of a strange thing... although it was weird to begin with having Straight Talk out there

I just got my parents on AIO. =/ Will they need new SIMs or plans? =/

Is Cricket/LEAP better? What are the prices/plans like?

linkboy

Straight Talk isn't owned by AT&T though, it's through Tracfone and Wal-Mart.

AIO doesn't make any sense with GoPhone being around, which AT&T does own.

And if AT&T does buy Leap, I could just seem them transition AIO over to the Cricket name and just merge the two brands together.

EmiPrime

Do the carriers in the US have some sort of price fixing cartel? You can get an unlimited data plan with tethering and plenty of minutes and texts for £15 a month here.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Do the carriers in the US have some sort of price fixing cartel? You can get an unlimited data plan with tethering and plenty of minutes and texts for £15 a month here.

Having even a decent network in the US requires a lot more investment due to the sheer size. T-Mo and Sprint have struggled for years due to not having very much coverage, in spite of offering very attracting plans and pricing.

To their credit, I believe all carriers in the US offer unlimited minutes and texts for all plans now.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead

Wtf! I didn't know this. I'm now reconsidering my white purchase.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
I didn't get white cause I heard white phones get dirty pretty easily. If the white had a white front I might have considered it more.

9UDI6.jpg

is the n5 on display at any retailers in the US?

Not until the 8th, then it might start popping up in some stores.

Also, of all the differences in the white version, the very white earpiece on the front (and it is super white) was the deal breaker for me. It's incredibly distracting.

Very disappointing...

I would have preferred a black 16 GB model at the outset, but they sold out so quickly by the time I bought the only one available was the white 32 GB. I assumed it would be identical except for the color so I pulled the trigger.

I was debating going caseless, but I might end up getting a bumper case now I guess, to keep it white and for comfort to hold.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Time to find the cheapest plan with:

• At least 500 Minutes
  • 2.5GB or more 4G speed
  • Unlimited text

I might just stick with Virgin Mobile for their $45/mo 1200 minutes, 2.5GB 4G speed.
I'm in Cali if that helps.

Arken2121

Just a heads up, I recently ordered mine with a 2-3 week wait from the warehouses but it shipped today. For those with who had a similar wait time, I wouldn't be surprised if they got a lot more product in recently to help with the massive sales. It should ship sooner for a lot of us.

Cipherr

Time to find the cheapest plan with:

• At least 500 Minutes
  • 2.5GB or more 4G speed
  • Unlimited text

I might just stick with Virgin Mobile for their $45/mo 1200 minutes, 2.5GB 4G speed.
I'm in Cali if that helps.

Is that VMobile LTE 4G? Or just the HSPA+? Because if its LTE, I don't think you can beat that in the US right now. That really rivals (beats...) even the flexible T-Mobile 5GB plan (assuming it includes LTE).

Anyone else in the UK get a shipping email last Friday? My tracking status hasn't changed all weekend, it still seems to be sat in their London depot doing nothing. :-(

Worst Monday ever.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Is that VMobile LTE 4G? Or just the HSPA+? Because if its LTE, I don't think you can beat that in the US right now. That really rivals (beats...) even the flexible T-Mobile 5GB plan (assuming it includes LTE).
I doubt it's LTE, but I have no idea. *Actually Virgin Mobile is Sprint so I'm fucked? Yeah.

My other options would be Straight Talk for $45/mo (I can pick AT&T or T-Mobile, but will it just run HSPA+ from these, or their actual LTE?) or Solavei for $49 or Simple Mobile for $50/mo.

I think Verizon and T-Mobile and AT&T plans with minutes are still $55 or more?

* http://digwhich.com/2013/11/01/best-carrier-for-nexus-5/
The unlocked Nexus 5 will not work on Virgin Mobile, but there are rumors that the Nexus 5 will officially be coming to Virgin in the next few weeks.

HtzfcXz.png

scently

Just a heads up, I recently ordered mine with a 2-3 week wait from the warehouses but it shipped today. For those with who had a similar wait time, I wouldn't be surprised if they got a lot more product in recently to help with the massive sales. It should ship sooner for a lot of us.

So it seems. Mine also had a 2-3 weeks waiting time but it shipped yesterday to arrive on the 7th.

As an aside, the white version is glossy so you can easily wipe stains and such from it. You do not want to have a white matte phone. Any stain on it will be very hard to remove, so I think they made the right decision going with a glossy finish for the white version.

Cipherr

I doubt it's LTE, but I have no idea. *Actually Virgin Mobile is Sprint so I'm fucked? Yeah.

My other options would be Straight Talk for $45/mo (I can pick AT&T or T-Mobile, but will it just run HSPA+ from these, or their actual LTE?) or Solavei for $49 or Simple Mobile for $50/mo.

I think Verizon and T-Mobile and AT&T plans with minutes are still $55 or more?

* http://digwhich.com/2013/11/01/best-carrier-for-nexus-5/

HtzfcXz.png

Ouch... the:

The unlocked Nexus 5 will not work on Virgin Mobile, but there are rumors that the Nexus 5 will officially be coming to Virgin in the next few weeks.

Is pretty much a dealbreaker for me. I don't want to buy a phone through a carrier locked ever again. If it werent for that, the Virgin $35 plan would be pretty beast.

Protome

Anyone else in the UK get a shipping email last Friday? My tracking status hasn't changed all weekend, it still seems to be sat in their London depot doing nothing. :-(

Worst Monday ever.

Mine was the same, just changed there from being in their London Depot to being in their Edinburgh depot getting loaded for delivery. So basically, don't trust the tracker, it has probably moved a bit :D

Mine was the same, just changed there from being in their London Depot to being in their Edinburgh depot getting loaded for delivery. So basically, don't trust the tracker, it has probably moved a bit :D

A few people over at xda have said the same thing, I keep F5ing the tracking page hoping to see some sort of update but nothing yet. :-

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom