• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 5 available as of now, starting at $349

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone else in the UK get a shipping email last Friday? My tracking status hasn't changed all weekend, it still seems to be sat in their London depot doing nothing. :-(

Worst Monday ever.

Ordered on Friday. Tracking says it's on the van! Happy days. Now I just need to sell my GS3.

tehbible

i'm looking forward to the white nexus 5, aka the panda phone.

the front white speaker grill actually matches the overall new KitKat white theme.

i can now easily determine what position the phone is in

been using dark colored phones for way too long. gotta change things up this time around

n5-dc-flats.png

I've never bought a phone that has a built-in battery.

What are you supposed to do in a year when the battery life takes a noticeable nose dive?

Maxrunner

White version has a white earpiece in the front. Otherwise, the rest is black.

Also, these other differences:

1. Side finish, matte vs glossy in the white
  2. Back finish, soft-touch vs regular matte plastic in the white

which one would you guys go for? does the black have a nicer touch in the back?

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
It does. Most 'modern' Lithium batteries don't tend to degrade for a few years (something along the lines of 3000 full charges). If the battery starts to arse up, assuming its not a hardware fault, then it's usually down to software.

My dad was having major battery issues with his S3, but he started using a battery manager app and now his battery life is better than it has ever been. So it can definitely be a software issue.

Chili

Just got mine. It is so much more comfortable to hold than the Nexus 4. It doesn't feel like it is going to slip out of your hands at all.

Protome

My initial impressions:

- The changes in KitKat all seem pretty minor, but it's a nice update.
- The phone itself feels incredibly light compared to the Nexus 4, or the Nokia Lumia 520 I've been using.
- The white back feels nice, but isn't the Nexus 7 back
- The white itself doesn't look as good in person as it does in renders/pictures. I'll probably buy a bumper or something.
- Camera is significantly improved.
- DAT SCREEN. I'm super happy that it has a good screen now. The Nexus 4's shitty washed out colours are gone (I know you could fix them with apps, but by default man it sucked) and it's clear right from the get go.

Seems like a great phone in general, I'd say maybe go for the black one though.

Fraxin

Just making sure, if I ordered from google play the phone is sim unlocked so in other words I can put any micro sim from any country and it will work,right?

Protome

Yeah that is what I mean. The n4 screen is fine for what it is but if you come from a device such as the s3 it won't look as good. That is probably what he meant.

I did come for the Nexus S to the N4, so it was a big degradation in colours form SAMOLED to the N4, but the N4's colours were bad even compared other non-AMOLED devices. Hell, when I broke my N4 and moved to a Lumia 520 the noticable improvement in the colours was instant (although obviously the screen was worse in every other way.)

The N5's screen is fantastic though, that's the important take-away from this.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Also out for delivery, so it will probably be here in 10-12 hours. Will get to see the box briefly before I go to work at least!

Case and screen protector are scheduled for delivery tomorrow.

Chili

Why are the app icons so much bigger? I only get 4 icons to a row in the launcher, used to be 5 with the N4/Jelly Bean.

JordanKZ

Why are the app icons so much bigger? I only get 4 icons to a row in the launcher, used to be 5 with the N4/Jelly Bean.

Its due to how Android deals with DPI. Apparently the N4 will be capable of showing more icons because its 16:10 and therefore it has a different DPI setting.

Nicktendo86

I've got the ported version of the launcher on my N4 and have a 5 X 5 grid of apps on my launcher, I THINK the N5 screen is a tad more narrow.

Chili

Its due to how Android deals with DPI. Apparently the N4 will be capable of showing more icons because its 16:10 and therefore it has a different DPI setting.

I've got the ported version of the launcher on my N4 and have a 5 X 5 grid of apps on my launcher, I THINK the N5 screen is a tad more narrow.

I guess that's fair enough but the icons really do look a lot larger. I think I'm going to need to find a launcher than downsizes the icons as this might be hard to get used to.

The phone seems great though. Not noticed any dead pixels or the other issues I've seen mentioned. The back is fantastic, not quite as good-looking as the N4 but holding this thing is really comfortable.

The Hangouts app seems a little bit confusing. The messages aren't threaded in a single conversation. Hangout conversations and texts with the same individual are still going to be in different conversations within the app which sort of defeats the point a little bit.

Zeppu

Goddammit it's going to take a fucking week to forward the phone to me. It'll be available to pick up on the 12th.

:'(

yyzjohn

Banned
Well, assuming a S4 and a follow up to the HTC One launch in say, 4/5 months I would imagine he is just saying that they might be faster than the N4 hardware wise.

He would be right, but thats of course true for any phone. 5 or so months and something else is releasing, no matter when you buy.

Yeah I get that, but by that logic, in 6 months is the iPhone 5S "low end" because there are faster chips put into phones? Right at this moment, the Nexus 5 is as high end as you can go with both processor and ram.

jimbor

Banned
Impressions, pictures, anything!!

First thing I noticed is how light it feels (coming from a GS3) and it feels a lot less likely to slip out of my hand. Seems pretty smooth so far and can't see any dead pixels. It does rattle a tad as the complainers in the XDA threads have pointed out but nothing that's a deal breaker.

Can anyone on T-Mobile using this answer a couple questions? My Wife is currently using the $30 T-Mobile Plan with her iPhone, but there are some coverage issues in our area that cause occasional hiccups:

1) Does WiFi Calling work for incoming calls/texts as well (e.g. will the network know I am on Wifi can route the calls that way if there are issues with cellular coverage?)
2) Does the WiFi calling count against your minutes?
3) How is the camera in comparison to something like the iPhone 4?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom