• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 5 available as of now, starting at $349

Status
Not open for further replies.

Groof

Remove all CCs and delivery addresses from Google Wallet. Then re-add them using UK addresses. The store considers me to be in the UK all the time.

Ah I see, very smart. But it still works with your card as it normally would?

Zeppu

Ah I see, very smart. But it still works with your card as it normally would?

Yeah. As a person who has worked extensively with internet payment providers (or "Pro-tip", if you like) let me assure you that no payment provider actually ever cross-checks delivery/billing address to CC number.

Hmm. Just got mine. Put the sim card in and on setup it tries to activate it but just stays on that. I put it back in my GS3 and its fine.

Groof

Yeah. As a person who has worked extensively with internet payment providers (or "Pro-tip", if you like) let me assure you that no payment provider actually ever cross-checks delivery/billing address to CC number.

Hmm well that's good to know. Might do that as well then. Thanks for sharing mate :)

OmegaFax

I did come for the Nexus S to the N4, so it was a big degradation in colours form SAMOLED to the N4, but the N4's colours were bad even compared other non-AMOLED devices. Hell, when I broke my N4 and moved to a Lumia 520 the noticable improvement in the colours was instant (although obviously the screen was worse in every other way.)

The N5's screen is fantastic though, that's the important take-away from this.

The screen is poorly calibrated out of the box. Flashing a custom kernel and changing the color settings is a night/day improvement.

Protome

I've been taking random little photos around my office to test out the camera, impressive so far. Definitely a lot better than the N4's. Surprisingly good for an 8mp camera in general.

The screen is poorly calibrated out of the box. Flashing a custom kernel and changing the color settings is a night/day improvement.
On Nexus 4? Yep, that was my complaint with it.

Wtf! I didn't know this. I'm now reconsidering my white purchase.

Same.. really don't understand why those changes were necessary. Pretty much means my wife gets the white one since she uses cases anyway

Speaking of arbitrary changes, I also think the buttons on the white are metallic, as opposed to the ceramic on the black. Not a big difference, but it adds a third color to the mix.

Stuart444

So I'm confused.

Got an e-mail saying it was sent out, tracking number and all (though tracking number can take up to 24 hours to active on the parcel force website)

But when I ordered it, it said dispatched in 2 - 3 weeks.

I go to my orders on the google play store and it still says

Dispatched from warehouse in 2 - 3 weeks.
Info

and once I click on it (info button I mean), it says

Status
Delivered

So yeah, this confuses me since I didn't expect to have it shipped so soon let alone have the google play store say stuff like that above today.

Zapages

Mine is finally coming. Currently in Germany, should be here within the end of Wednesday.

Also: battery life info

so that is as I get with my Galaxy S2... About an half of a day of work from 7 am to 8 pm in night...

Me equal a sad panda... I was hoping it would be more around like 10 to 12 hours.. .Why did Google gimp on the battery. :(

Dinosur

Phone will show up today, and I'm still not even sure what carrier to switch to. It turns out Sprint barely even works in my town. I'm borrowing a coworker's phone over lunch to see if I even get a signal at home.

If not, the only other options are getting screwed by AT&T (whose closest store is over an hour away) or ditch the phone and crawl back to Verizon. =/

so that is as I get with my Galaxy S2... About an half of a day of work from 7 am to 8 pm in night...

Me equal a sad panda... I was hoping it would be more around like 10 to 12 hours.. .Why did Google gimp on the battery. :(

Dude no. You're not reading those results correctly.

That is a heavy usage test done to stress test the battery and drain it as quickly as possible. He had 4 hours screen on time and 8 hours of uptime -- and he still had 27% left! That means the display was on for half the time the phone was off the charger. Are you going to sit at work and use your phone for 4 hours? Doubtful, unless you want to be fired or are the boss. :)

There are plenty of battery impressions on XDA that show people getting more than 24 hours uptime, and 3+ screen on at the same time. This battery life will eclipse your S2 by a large margin on stock alone. Imagine with a custom kernel, etc.

Laekon

Phone will show up today, and I'm still not even sure what carrier to switch to. It turns out Sprint barely even works in my town. I'm borrowing a coworker's phone over lunch to see if I even get a signal at home.

If not, the only other options are getting screwed by AT&T (whose closest store is over an hour away) or ditch the phone and crawl back to Verizon. =/
Don't forget Straight Talk and AIO. Both can use the AT&T network without a contract.

TheVerge review will likely go up today. Any guesses on the score? Nexus 4 got a 8.3.

If it's Josh reviewing, I expect an ~8. If it's Dieter, sub-8. In both cases, they will spend paragraphs saying the iPhone camera is way better.

How does the nexus 5 compare to the iphone 4 ? Any impressions from someone who switched ?

Dude, the 4 is like 3 years old. That thing is flip-phone by comparison.

Zeppu

I fully expect it to be around a 7 because of <insert myopic stupid reason here>.

To this day I believe that by the Verge's logic, if Google announced and never released an N4 with LTE, then the default N4 would've gotten a higher score.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
8.4 I'm calling it

To this day I believe that by the Verge's logic, if Google announced and never released an N4 with LTE, then the default N4 would've gotten a higher score.

If Vlad had reviewed it, then it would have been higher too. He's probably the only one there that realizes that it's possible to not have LTE service.

Zeppu

Okay, most probably it'll actually be an 8.6-8.7

However the review, video and conclusions will all be disjointed and the score will be given because that's what the Google Play editions of the HTC One and S4 got and they'll probably match them. Obviously it can't be too far below what the iPhones got but it won't go over it.

Chris R

Gapless music actually works on this phone right? If so that will be my #1 most awesome feature in upgrading from my Galaxy SII...

tmaynard

why do people spend like 30 bucks on these crappy bumpers. You can get cases and bumpers on amazon for half the price or less.

Down, honey. Down...

I want it more for the visuals and compatibility with the wireless charger if I get one. I haven't had a new phone in years, so I don't mind to splurge a little.

And, I don't want my phone to look like a Mad Catz controller with some $2 case from Amazon.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Can anyone on T-Mobile using this answer a couple questions? My Wife is currently using the $30 T-Mobile Plan with her iPhone, but there are some coverage issues in our area that cause occasional hiccups:

1) Does WiFi Calling work for incoming calls/texts as well (e.g. will the network know I am on Wifi can route the calls that way if there are issues with cellular coverage?)
2) Does the WiFi calling count against your minutes?
3) How is the camera in comparison to something like the iPhone 4?

AFAIK Wi-Fi calling isn't in any stock ROM. I went to a T-Mo sore and they said it wouldn't work on an N4.

this_guy

Anyone else switching to AIO (or already has AIO) for their new Nexus 5's? I'm on Verizon and the LTE is bountiful and blazing, but the pricing is getting pretty damn absurd (I suppose you get what you pay for...)

Basically I'm hoping that AIO is all puppies and unicorns and the LTE is just as good and pervasive, cause man, $70 for unlimited everything (throttled past 7 GB, but still) and compatibility with a true blue Nexus is making me have stars in my eyes and a whipped cream arrow down my back.

I used AIO for a bit. LTE is throttled to 8 mb/s, and most of my speed tests were between 5.5-7mb/s. AIO also uses a proxy server so ping times were much higher than if you used AT&T directly - most of my speed tests had ping times of around 250ms instead of the 40-60ms you normally see on LTE. Still the speeds are fine and won't bother you. The only thing I didn't like is AIO doesn't have premium sms or sms short codes. Everytime I log into my Gmail or Facebook account from a new device/pc I get a text message with a password, but without premium sms these don't come through. (you also can't do things like vote on American Idol if that's your sort of things).

I use AT&T GoPhone now, so speeds are faster and I can use premium sms. I typically only use 1-1.5gb of data so GoPhone's $60 plan works for me (umlimited talk and text, 2gb of data). It's easy to also find 10% refills on GoPhone so I pay $54/month.

Zeppu

Gapless music actually works on this phone right? If so that will be my #1 most awesome feature in upgrading from my Galaxy SII...

Depends on app rather than on the device. Google Music app, for example can play gaplessley (even All Access music) if the mp3s are encoded properly.

It's here!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gmpb0Y1.jpg

Brilliant. Tweeted Parcel Force to find out why there was no update on my delivery, they came back and said it was still at point of origin but would be delivered tomorrow, so I leave work and go home.

Get home to find that the phone was delivered about 5mins after I left the office...... Fffffffuuuuuuhnnngggghhhhhhh!

Dinosur

Don't forget Straight Talk and AIO. Both can use the AT&T network without a contract.

Thanks. Straight Talk looks kind of promising, but still seems a bit weird. Especially since their website is even more outdated than Sprint's. There are so many *'s and "restrictions apply" comments all over, but don't actually have the fine print anywhere.

Does it always use AT&T's network or is it a mixture?

I use AT&T GoPhone now, so speeds are faster and I can use premium sms. I typically only use 1-1.5gb of data so GoPhone's $60 plan works for me (umlimited talk and text, 2gb of data). It's easy to also find 10% refills on GoPhone so I pay $54/month.

Ah nice, that sounds a lot better.

ArchAngel

I love the feel of the new back but miss the curved edges from the N4.

And this time I have a phone without any flaws. No lightspots, no dust, no dead pixels, no loose buttons. Everything just feels right. It even fits into my old N4 bag :)

The feeling of the buttons is waaay better than on the N4, hard and direct. Maybe a bit sharp at the edges, but I like it :)

Brilliant. Tweeted Parcel Force to find out why there was no update on my delivery, they came back and said it was still at point of origin but would be delivered tomorrow, so I leave work and go home.

Get home to find that the phone was delivered about 5mins after I left the office...... Fffffffuuuuuuhnnngggghhhhhhh!

Go back to the office. Break the doors down if you have to!

beanman25

It was likely asked before, but is there an app that will let me transfer apps/contacts/etc.. from my old android to this?

It was likely asked before, but is there an app that will let me transfer apps/contacts/etc.. from my old android to this?

Google automatically backs up all that stuff for me. So when I get a new phone, I just enter my Google account and bam... everything is there.

I use SMS Backup and Restore for texts.

hitsugi

Typical regarding the camera issues; most, if not all of which seem to stem from software (especially the horrific stock app). Luckily, there are (vastly) superior alternatives.

Speaking of which, my phones are out for delivery.. and I'm at work. Hoping they drop them off on my doorstep and I'll go grab them at lunch D: either that, OR they drop it off after I get home, which is like 5 p.m. so doubtful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom