• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 5 available as of now, starting at $349

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zeppu

Thanks to the Verge now we can pull a direct comparison between the N4 and the N5.

In a year, the ecosystem has gone down, the software has gone down. Battery time is worse than the N4. Camera is worse than the N4.

xtop

Typical regarding the camera issues; most, if not all of which seem to stem from software (especially the horrific stock app). Luckily, there are (vastly) superior alternatives.

Speaking of which, my phones are out for delivery.. and I'm at work. Hoping they drop them off on my doorstep and I'll go grab them at lunch D: either that, OR they drop it off after I get home, which is like 5 p.m. so doubtful.

is there a camera app i should use vs stock? mine should be here today :-D

SimleuqiR

Welp the transparent background on the Nav button bar makes a huge difference.
This phone is longish.
Is light and it feels high-end (plastic and all).
Ceramic buttons feel really good. They should work better (more responsive) with cases too.

just got mine :D

gmUY93j.jpg

Battery life sounds bad :-(

Can you buy a bigger battery of the same size and put it in there ?

It's not bad. Not sure what happened with the Verge's unit, but there are tons of positive, glowing reviews of the battery life on XDA. Also, the video review below the Verge one (in this thread) claims the battery life is great.

Josh isn't as bad as some of you make him out to be. From his review:

There can be minor scrolling issues when you’re trying to tear through a long page, but that seems more to do with buffering than it does actual graphics performance. In fact, a big deal has been made about the "Android scrolling" problem, but nine times out of ten, the Nexus 5 feels considerably faster than most devices I’ve used — even the iPhone 5S (pro-tip: turn off all of your animations using developer controls). General navigation and performance is buttery, and while Google still can’t match Apple’s best-in-class touch-response times, the difference is negligible as far as I’m concerned. With every device there are tradeoffs, but I don't feel for a moment that the touch performance or scrolling behavior on the Nexus 5 — or most modern Android phones — is a cause for concern.

He does give credit where it's due.

hitsugi

Battery life sounds bad :-(

Can you buy a bigger battery of the same size and put it in there ?

5-6 hours of screen time compared to the N4's 2-3 hours? Where are you getting the impression it's bad from? 1 source vs just about everyone else that's reported their usage..

Dinosur

Hate that I have to wait until tomorrow with it having been 15 minutes away from me since Friday night.

Yeah, I just had to order a GoPhone sim card online since they aren't available at any stores in my area. So even though I'll have the phone today, I'm at the mercy of whenever that thing gets shipped.

Oh well though, still better than the quality I was going to get from Sprint.

JoeFu

Banned
UPS says mine will be here by Wednesday! I can't wait!

Need more reviews!

I hope MKBHD gets one out soon, love watching his stuff.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
White Nexus 5 is the definitive one. Look at those Verge pictures. Oooh.

Are the white model buttons really not ceramic?

N4 bros, is the 5 upgrade worth it to you? Do you miss the 4's premium feel?

Down, honey. Down...

I want it more for the visuals and compatibility with the wireless charger if I get one. I haven't had a new phone in years, so I don't mind to splurge a little.

And, I don't want my phone to look like a Mad Catz controller with some $2 case from Amazon.

I'm had a lot of cheaper cases scratch the back of my phones too. A guy at work with a 5S has it all scratched up from using a cheapy case.

Chili

White Nexus 5 is the definitive one. Look at those Verge pictures. Oooh.

Are the white model buttons really not ceramic?

N4 bros, is the 5 upgrade worth it to you? Do you miss the 4's premium feel?

I went caseless with the N4 (tried a bumper, made it too big) and so far I am not missing it one bit. The comfort level is so much higher with the N5. The N4 is comparison feels like I'm holding a bar of soap. It could do without the oversized Nexus logo though.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I went caseless with the N4 (tried a bumper, made it too big) and so far I am not missing it one bit. The comfort level is so much higher with the N5. The N4 is comparison feels like I'm holding a bar of soap. It could do without the oversized Nexus logo though.

Interesting. Do you have a black or white model? Nexus 4 users who use a case are heathens.

SimleuqiR

Camera is insane for close up shots.

Just took a picture of the box label with the serial, and IMEI info...insanely sharp and detailed.

Doopliss

Aww... entire horizontal row of pixels with green subpixels that flicker on and off. I think this will have to go back :-/

Edit: Just noticed that the entire screen from that row down sometimes flashes dark. Thought I'd seen it before but wasn't 100% certain what had happened, but I just caught it in the act while I wwas looking at the dud line.

All of my apps seem to work on KitKat except for HBO Go.

Also, how the hell did this get .3 lower than the Nexus 4 on The Verge? Jesus Christ, what a load of bullshit.

Rootbeer

Banned
Bleeeh I thought mine would ship from a California warehouse or something since I live near Google, but it's in KY right now. Guess I shouldn't count on getting it before Weds. Hopefully not Thurs or later.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom