• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 5 available as of now, starting at $349

Status
Not open for further replies.
One thing from that Verge review?

I'm asking this question because I believe Google is asking the same one. The Nexus line of phones may have just started as developer editions, or platforms for the latest version of Android, but unless Google's marketing department and PR team are reading from different sheet music, it seems like Google wants its Nexus phones to be the kind of consumer facing devices that its Nexus 7 tablet clearly is.

Where on Earth is he getting this impression?

Shanks

I'm thinking about that flip cover. Anybody use them for a Galaxy or other phone? Do they get in the way (maybe using the camera) or be a pain in the ass? What about holding up, do they get all floppy and such after a few months?

Why do you think otherwise?

Because Google isn't going to do any substantial mass marketing of it at all. Hell, I don't think they could have possibly unveiled this thing with less fanfare than they did.

This isn't a mass market device. That's what the Moto X is for.

SimleuqiR

Because Google isn't going to do any substantial mass marketing of it at all. Hell, I don't think they could have possibly unveiled this thing with less fanfare than they did.

This isn't a mass market device. That's what the Moto X is for.

That's definitely to appease OEM partners.

Motorola will always have a buffer between Google (until things go nuclear).

But don't kid yourself, the Nexus line is dangle in front of hardware partners to show that, even without a big marketing push, Google could have some decent hardware #s.

OmegaFax

One thing from that Verge review?

Where on Earth is he getting this impression?

There are a lot of advertisements made by Google showing various features like Google Now and Google Play that look targeted towards the average customer. I remember Google even doing an N7 advertisement showing a young boy camping out in the backyard with his Nexus 7.

Google has also expanded retail partnership and distribution. Nexus 7 this year not only launched on Google Play but retailers like Amazon and Best Buy. Best Buy in particular has been tailoring end caps for Nexus devices and Chromebook. Staples, Walmart, and GameStop have also carried Nexus 7 since last year.

I'm thinking about that flip cover. Anybody use them for a Galaxy or other phone? Do they get in the way (maybe using the camera) or be a pain in the ass? What about holding up, do they get all floppy and such after a few months?

Bought one for my Galaxy S III about two months ago when I picked up my Nexus 4. I ended up favoring the TPU/screen protector setup of my Nexus 4 and haven't really touched my S III since.

The flap does get in the way of the camera and the only way to avoid it is to let it hang open while taking pictures. It also feels weird holding it normally when checking e-mail or browsing the web because the flap doubles the thickness when opened And folded back and almost feel like I could lose grip of the body of the phone.

It folds shut nice and doesn't move around enough to worry about dust getting trapped between the flip cover and the screen to start scratching it.

It is a nice concept but isn't executed nearly as well as it is on tablets.

Rootbeer

Banned
Listened to this week's TWiT podcast, and the guy they had on doing the N5 review also bitched about the camera, but had very positive things to say about the rest of the package.

Anyway, when asked if it was a hardware issue with the camera or software, he said something to the effect that the camera hardware 'blows away' what iPhone is offering, and that it's all software. Wonder just how true that is? Because if it is, saying that Google is dropping the ball here in no way does this blunder justice.

They need to realize that Apple is in the position it is with the iPhone right now in large part due to the camera. People widely consider it to be the best in the market, and Google shouldn't let that go unchallenged. Pour the resources into it.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
What kind of battery life is the phone getting? I'm a heavy user and my n4 usually dies before my trip home.

Listened to this week's TWiT podcast, and the guy they had on doing the N5 review also bitched about the camera, but had very positive things to say about the rest of the package.

Anyway, when asked if it was a hardware issue with the camera or software, he said something to the effect that the camera hardware 'blows away' what iPhone is offering, and that it's all software. Wonder just how true that is? Because if it is, saying that Google is dropping the ball here in no way does this blunder justice.

Myriam is a woman. But, yeah, it sounds like Google is working on software fixes. They really need to make the camera update-able via the store.

What kind of battery life is the phone getting? I'm a heavy user and my n4 usually dies before my trip home.

Depends on whom you ask. XDA people say significantly better than the N4. TheVerge and Android Central say it's about the same, i.e. bad.

I've seen hard stats from the XDA people, so I trust them over TheVerge and Android Central, who didn't share much details in their impressions of the battery.

Ferr986

Google automatically backs up all that stuff for me. So when I get a new phone, I just enter my Google account and bam... everything is there.

I use SMS Backup and Restore for texts.

Thats good to know.
Its also possible to move savestates of games from a non rooted Desire HD?

Zeppu

Myriam is a woman. But, yeah, it sounds like Google is working on software fixes. They really need to make the camera update-able via the store.

Motorola already did and the way Google is moving these days they probably will be doing so if they ever decide to work on the camera software. One of you should see if Moto sneaked compatibility to the N5 in there.

A thing to keep in mind is that like many of us know, Nexii aren't really much more than a showcase device for the OS. All they care about Android, they don't care where you're getting it from as you long as you get it. Spending time on the camera software, unfortunately for us, would probably be low on their list of priorities. The software wouldn't be reusable across devices and OEMs tend to ship with their own (superior) camera software anyway.

There are a lot of advertisements made by Google showing various features like Google Now and Google Play that look targeted towards the average customer. I remember Google even doing an N7 advertisement showing a young boy camping out in the backyard with his Nexus 7.

Google has also expanded retail partnership and distribution. Nexus 7 this year not only launched on Google Play but retailers like Amazon and Best Buy. Best Buy in particular has been tailoring end caps for Nexus devices and Chromebook. Staples, Walmart, and GameStop have also carried Nexus 7 since last year.

I was referring specifically to Nexus phones. Google has done almost nothing to push the Nexus 4 and 5 in the mass market.

The Nexus 7 is pretty much the only device in the Nexus line to get a mainstream marketing push. Clearly their strategy for it diverges significantly from their strategy for the rest of the line. It's the exception, not the rule.

Omzz

Canadian still waiting here...got the shipping notice, but UPS side doesn't have any tracking data yet.

*cries*

HawkeyeIC

They say a few KitKat features are nexus 5 exclusive such as the new launcher, that is backed up by the pic Google put up with a nexus 5 next to a nexus 7, the n7 had the new white status bar icons but the old launcher. If this turns out to be accurate I will be really bloody upset.

It seems like all they would have to disable is the 'OK Google' option on the launcher and then everything else would work fine (without draining battery). I'd like to hear from Google why they don't just do that.

thespot84

WHY NO VERIZON!

I see no reason to stay with them after my contract is up in May unless I can keep my grandfathered unlimited.

You can keep it if you buy a
compatible
device at full price and don't change anything your contract! Yay!

I have grandfathered unlimited and I'm leaving for tmobile or AIO as soon as I make the choice between the n5/motox

It's here.

Family picture time!

Taken with the Nexus 4:
IMG_20131104_145930_zps302cd205.jpg

Taken with an iPad:
d208c3db5b366e43a3a8d8ed5ea32694_zpsf8be8c0d.jpg

Notice the iPad took a better picture than the N4.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
You kept them all? Hardcore. I can't wait to get rid of my old hardware.

White Nexus 5 is the definitive one. Look at those Verge pictures. Oooh.

Are the white model buttons really not ceramic?

N4 bros, is the 5 upgrade worth it to you? Do you miss the 4's premium feel?

It really made me regret getting a black one. So much so that I might return it and wait a month for a white one.

Can anybody with a white one confirm it's beauty?

CronoShot

Hmmm....looks like I've got a couple stuck/dead pixels. Whenever I'm on a completely black screen (like during start up), I can see two little blue dots, one on the right side, one towards the bottom.

Good thing it's a 1080p screen and I can barely see them even then. Still, a little upsetting.

hitsugi

Hmmm....looks like I've got a couple stuck/dead pixels. Whenever I'm on a completely black screen (like during start up), I can see two little blue dots, one on the right side, one towards the bottom.

Good thing it's a 1080p screen and I can barely see them even then. Still, a little upsetting.

Seeing this reported quite a bit at XDA forums.. RMA it.

Nicktendo86

It seems like all they would have to disable is the 'OK Google' option on the launcher and then everything else would work fine (without draining battery). I'd like to hear from Google why they don't just do that.
Just messaged artem from ap on google+,says the new launcher will actually be part of Google search when it gets updated and the n4/7 will deffo have it when they get KitKat. Says android police will have a post about it later today.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member

This is why I hate buying anything with a screen.

rc213

I can't wait to have the Camera a quick swipe away from my lockscreen back. Damn you Samsung!

Also, UPS why you have 10 trucks go past my block without stopping to drop off my phone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom