• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 5 available as of now, starting at $349

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deku Tree

Is there any advantage in terms of the price of the contract to buying an unlocked phone? Or does the same contract cost the same whether your phone is locked or unlocked?

Drakeon

I'm bailing from Verizon. Just simply had enough with the ridiculous prices and restrictions. This is just the final push I needed.

What do you guys recommend? I guess my options are pretty much Sprint or T-Mobile, right?

Depends where you're at, but I'm bailing from Verizon too and going with Straight Talk. Straight Talk has a $45/month plan (works on ATT, Tmobile or Sprint towers) for unlimited everything. Data gets throttled after 2.5 gbs in a month though. They're a prepaid carrier, but it looks like it's both cheap and will have coverage (they even have LTE coverage now).

ATT also works, you just can't buy it from them.

I have a real charge, not a pre-authorization, on my credit card. I'm pretty sure my phone is shipping today, which means it should be here Monday. Nice.

tmaynard

So, just to confirm, will the phone ordered from Google Play Store work on Sprint's network? Or, do we have to order it directly from Sprint?

Is there any advantage in terms of the price of the contract to buying an unlocked phone? Or does the same contract cost the same whether your phone is locked or unlocked?

An on-contract phone will pretty much always cost you at least a couple hundred dollars more than an unlocked off-contract phone when all is said and done.

Shambles

Things were a million times smoother this year. Props to Google. The only downside is there was no pre-announced launch time. I wonder if they were worried if they told the world when it would go up their servers would be more likely to die.

Things were a million times smoother this year. Props to Google. The only downside is there was no pre-announced launch time. I wonder if they were worried if they told the world when it would go up their servers would be more likely to die.

Yup. They got their shit together.

I mean, we've yet to see if they run into any stock or shipping issues, but the ordering system worked pretty much flawlessly for me (and most everyone, from the looks of it).

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
Grabbed a 32 white RIGHT before it sold out. I'm talking, 1 minute before they announced it was out of stock.

L-gon

Anyone have luck finding it on Amazon?

I have a 16GB Black ordered - leaving the warehouse on 11/5 like most everyone else but would gladly cancel to order on Amazon with $3.99 Prime overnight shipping and no tax.

Shambles

Now to find a case for it. I need the case not to prevent scratches but to prevent damage from drops as the new owner is likely to drop it a bunch. The rinke looks good but I'm thinking i need something with more foam/rubber around the edges.

GJS

So "Leaves warehouse by November 5, 2013"? Could this mean there is a possibility they will start shipping tomorrow?

Who knows.

On the UK store the 16GB Black says "Leaves warehouse by November 8, 2013, whilst the 16GB White, and both 32GB models say "Leaves warehouse in 1 - 2 business days".

Yeah, I'm disappointed that they don't have this worked out yet.

I'm doing my best to get all of my primary contacts to move our messaging over to Hangouts, but I still need Google Voice for call forwarding and voicemail.

What's the benefit to hangouts? Do you have to use hangouts for text messages or can you send them normally still?

You know, it would be nice if mods wrote a last post before closing a thread, explaining why they were doing so. And in the case of opening a new thread, maybe put a link in that last post, shooting people to the new thread.

BFIB

I love my HTC One, but damn, this is a great price for an off contract phone. Really great specs too.

Emwitus

Meh. Been reading through the kit kat page, and options like having a full screen wallpaper and activating google now from the home screen will only be available on the nexus 5. What a waste of hype.

Ordered a 32 GB black. Don't know if I want it yet or if I want an iPhone but I figure I can just cancel it in the next couple days if I decide against it.

zewone

Crap. I'm switching to Sprint for this phone anyway.

Should I cancel my order and get it $200 cheaper through Sprint or am I missing some hidden tomfoolery on their end?

If you plan on using the phone for a year or two with Sprint, no reason to not get the subsidized price.

What's the benefit to hangouts? Do you have to use hangouts for text messages or can you send them normally still?

Hangouts just offers much more than a typical SMS app. The interface is great. It works seamlessly between your phone, your browser, and your tablet. Its video chat is great.

However, you'll still be able to use other SMS apps as your default messaging app.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Now to wait for ages for this to show up at Swedish retailers, at a much higher price. Dammit Google, start selling devices on the Play Store here as well!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom