• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 5 available as of now, starting at $349

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
Time to wait seven years for it to come to Virgin Mobile I guess.

Same :(

I really need a new phone: mine's stuck with Froyo still, and I'm running so low on space that I have to delete apps, pics, texts, etc every time something needs updating. Hah!

WTF... Why even bother giving a hands on... This guy clearly has a bias against all Android phones before even picking the thing up.

This guy:
- Scrolling is laggy, like all android devices
- Camera has OIS and HDR+... we'll see how it goes, cameras on Android devices aren't good

Everyone knows The Verge is full of Apple stans.

Edit: I have an iPad 3rd generation, Apple TV, and Macbook Air. I don't hate Apple. I admire their hardware.

Wag

Hey guys please help !

I just ordered the black 16GB, got my money taken by Google but on the webpage it show this (rough translation)

"Order not completed
The elaboration of your order is taking a bit more time than the usual. We will inform you via mail when your order will be completed. The operation might require until 15 minutes."

Is it normal? Please let me know!

Thanks

Yes, mine says that too.

Pratfall

Might be a silly question, but could I buy this thing and get it up an running on Wifi only? I am a verizon customer on an iPhone right now but I despise iOS7 and I am considering a switch. Would love to be able to live with the phone on Wifi for whatever the return period is. What is the return policy on the Play store?

rc213

At least this time Accessory Manufacturers don't appear to be caught with their pants down as plenty of cases are already available. Good job Google but I was hoping for SlimPort Dongle to be available directly from them as most found now are flimsy or just don't work.

Might be a silly question, but could I buy this thing and get it up an running on Wifi only? I am a verizon customer on an iPhone right now but I despise iOS7 and I am considering a switch. Would love to be able to live with the phone on Wifi for whatever the return period is. What is the return policy on the Play store?

You can yes. The OS is the same for phones and tablets now and it works fine just on Wi-Fi. I set up an Android for my mother on Wi-Fi a couple of weeks ago since there's no phone service where she lives.

northead

Dublin??

But I'm in Dublin and I can't buy one because they're not available in the ROI...

Do you think if I drive to the warehouse and ask for one they'll oblige? :(
Man that's so sad.
I'm also "Pending" and have yet to receive a confirmation email from Google.
Weird. I got the email as soon as I completed the purchase.
So in the email order confirmations, is anyone getting a ship-by date earlier than November 5?
Me. November 4. But I'm in Italy, so it might be due to that.
32GB White if that matters.

Fixed1979

Its back again, right?!

Fucking A, as if they listened to me saying "What the fuck Google?!" :lol :lol

It showed as back again, and then went back to being sold out when I tried to add it to my cart. It's probably real time updating with people cancelling orders or something...

Knight77

Money taken and order still pending...

tumblr_lm91eoDA4Z1qii6tmo1_250.gif

Does anyone knows if this is actually normal and is just a matter to wait the mail or what ?

Cudder

They are still adding stock to the Canadian Store. Just was lucky and grabbed a 32GB black. Keep clicking on 16/32GB and the colour of the phone to refresh. They literally sell out in seconds though, so add it to your cart as soon as you see it's available.

Rootbeer

Banned
ordered 32gb black. This will be my first android... if I keep the order. Going to buckle down and do nonstop research on plans and android features before it ships on the 8th... it's either this or the iPhone 5s for me.

Chili

Money taken and order still pending...

tumblr_lm91eoDA4Z1qii6tmo1_250.gif

Does anyone knows if this is actually normal and is just a matter to wait the mail or what ?

From my experience with the Google store (UK) is when they aren't screwing up launches they are actually really quick to dispatch items that are in stock. It sounds optimistic, but if they are in the warehouse I'd imagine they will ship tomorrow and be delivered on Monday. Their aftersales service is also excellent to deal with.

Cipherr

I didn't even bother watching it. The Verge is so predictable.

Its worth watching because he operates the phone and you can see how smooth and responsive it clearly is. Mid conversation he gave the keyword for google now and it responded immediately and launched smoothly. Just ignore the passive aggressive shit.

Canada, Fuck Yeah!

What case, bumper or cover will look the best with white?

Is it really available in Canada right now? Is there price parity?

So, I placed my order no problem, and I have a charge pending on my debit card. However, I noticed the billing address is wrong on my Play store receipt.

Will I get screwed -- or should I be fine since the charge is on my bank account already?

lobdale

3 ft, coiled to the sky
Is there a definitive no contract plan in the US? If its the T-Mobile $30 one, what's the best way to forward calls to VoIP?

I've heard that it still takes minutes off your calling even if you're calling with data, and also that the coverage map (roaming partners) is smaller on prepaid? I take it with something of a grain of salt, but I think I'll just go with the family plan on T-Mobile with my girlfriend (unlimited voice data text, 2.5GB high speed $50 each).

Audioboxer

Even although the internals are better than my S4, I think the camera will be a downgrade. Will hang onto the S4 until next year.

big_z

This will be my first android... if I keep the order. Going to buckle down and do nonstop research on plans and android features before it ships on the 8th... it's either this or the iPhone 5s for me.

Same. I really want to know how the audio is on the nexus5. Apparently it's pretty bad on the nexus 4 and if this is the same it's a deal breaker. I use my phone as an iPod daily.

Spinluck

yeah+bitch.gif

Saw this in the Verge comment section, totally appropriate.

There are still Black 32GB models, but I have to sell my S3 so I'll probably get this later.

Those cases look REALLY nice, but it looks like the phone loses the curve on the back with these cases. Hope that's not the case cause they're sexy.

teiresias

So the N5 does NOT have the extra processor like the MotoX that lets you do "OK Google" while the phone is asleep? Not a big deal, just haven't seen that mentioned either way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom