• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 5 available as of now, starting at $349

Status
Not open for further replies.

EmiPrime

The Verge are giving me some serious buyer's remorse. They just trashed the camera for 20 minutes and glossed over everything else then moved on...

Iv'e always found the Verge to be fairly idiotic when it comes to phone cameras. I basically read all their reviews and skim over the camera section and go to engadget and read their camera section.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
im surprised that the camera was the focus of all of that. are cameras the main things on phones these days? anyway, it sounds like the camera is great.

I'm 100% sure Josh had the HDR function turned on in the camera, and he didn't know.

I accidentally turned it on once on my N4, and it made taking pictures very slow and required me to hold steady for a few seconds, otherwise it would come out blurry. This is exactly what he mentioned on the show.

There's absolutely NO way taking a regular picture would take long otherwise. The N5's shutter speed is plenty fast.

PaulLFC

I'm undecided at the moment, as it stands, being in the UK there's not *quite* enough new to justify me upgrading from the Nexus 4. LTE is a big gain, but coverage around where I am isn't exactly what you'd call widespread - so it'd mostly be on 3G anyway for the moment - in fact it doesn't even get 3G 100% of the time.

Might as well keep the Nexus 4 and wait for the networks to expand LTE a bit here, then upgrade to either the 5 or 6 (or whatever it'll be called), depending on timing.

Shambles

im surprised that the camera was the focus of all of that. are cameras the main things on phones these days? anyway, it sounds like the camera is great.

All of this is especially delicious considering that all phone cameras are utter shit (barring perhaps the Nokia). At the end of the day it doesn't matter if you have a 5S, a One, an S4, or the bloody Galaxy nexus. You're going to look at your pictures after loading them on to a PC and go 'Wow, that looks pretty bad. I wish I had a real camera'.

EmiPrime

I'm 100% sure Josh had the HDR function turned on in the camera, and he didn't know.

I accidentally turned it on once on my N4, and it made taking pictures very slow and required me to hold steady for a few seconds, otherwise it would come out blurry. This is exactly what he mentioned on the show.

There's absolutely NO way taking a regular picture would take long otherwise. The N5's shutter speed is plenty fast.

Phone in and set them straight!

Totalriot

New Wireless Charger. Should be up on play store later today:

i5Cp7sryo6FdL.png

One question about the charger: Is it possible to charge more than one phone at once? Would be great to put both my wife's N4 and my brandnew N5 on there over night.

bjscott05

That is kinda what I was thinking. If they are saying all of them are blurry, then they are probably moving the phone before all the shots are taken.

northead

Go check Brian Klug's Twitter's feed. He says he's excited.
And that alone is worth more than anything Josh or Nilay can say.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
All of this is especially delicious considering that all phone cameras are utter shit (barring perhaps the Nokia). At the end of the day it doesn't matter if you have a 5S, a One, an S4, or the bloody Galaxy nexus. You're going to look at your pictures after loading them on to a PC and go 'Wow, that looks pretty bad. I wish I had a real camera'.

im the opposite, im consistently impressed with how my s3 pictures turn out.

but to me, the most important spec on phones are the processors. cameras are good enough, screen res was good enough for me at 720p on 4.5 inch phones. but i want console games on my phone. thats like the last spec frontier that still sees huge gains every gen.

Twix

W00t! just ordered a white 32GB. Order status is pending and the expected shipping date is November 8.

Please google don't fuck this up

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Lol Josh doing a 180 on the camera

Classic Josh

Very classic Josh. These guys, sheesh. I wish Android Police had The Verge's production. The Verge is great at presenting content. But their content stinks.

verbum

I did on my N4 since I'm walking out in the woods and climbing over things a lot. But I may go for a while without one on the N5 to see how it does.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Very classic Josh. These guys, sheesh. I wish Android Police had The Verge's production. The Verge is great at presenting content. But their content stinks.
Nah their content is usually good to amazing. Their features are among the best in the industry. Vergecast is also usually not nearly this awful.

Totalriot

What about the rumor with the 100 GB free Google Drive space? Guess it is not true, right? Well, was too good to be true anyway.

KorrZ

I did on my N4 since I'm walking out in the woods and climbing over things a lot. But I may go for a while without one on the N5 to see how it does.

I've never used a screen protector or a case. I much prefer the feel of a naked phone. I've never had any issues doing this, my N4 has taken some pretty good drops and has no visible damage to it outside of scratches on the glass back...which doesn't really bother me.

Aeroangel

Banned
WTF... Why even bother giving a hands on... This guy clearly has a bias against all Android phones before even picking the thing up.

This guy:
- Scrolling is laggy, like all android devices
- Camera has OIS and HDR+... we'll see how it goes, cameras on Android devices aren't good

My thoughts exactly.

So I was planning on buying the nexus 4 (an upgrade over my galaxy sII) but the big difference between nexus 4 and 5 is better battery life, bigger screen, faster CPU, and better gpu?

Basically my question: Is everything about it bigger and better or is any of it comparable to nexus 4?

I just want to make sure the extra $150 is definitely worth it =)

GatorBait

Not only that, but Google is also trying to make certain post-processing tweaks seamless and automatic for the average user. I just had 600+ photos from my latest European vacation auto-uploaded and auto-enhanced through Google+. I was quite surprised how nicely auto-enhance corrected some of the flaws inherent in my phone's camera.

solarus

I have a 4S, it is very smooth. My iPad 3 would have stuttering fits even before iOS7, though. I already called out that device once in this thread.

In general, iOS scrolling and Android scrolling are very smooth. The input difference is like the difference between normal vsync and triple buffered vsync in a PC game. And I've never had the fits on my N7 that my iPad 3 had, but that was more like performance losses/dropped frames than a buffer between inputs and reactions.

Again, its minor. But it's there. Perhaps I'm sensitive to this due to PC gaming and putting effort into eliminating input lag there.
That's more to do with the ipad 3 being a huge mistake spec wise, not enough power to support that screen smoothly, there's a reason they pushed out the iPad 4 as fast as they did months later. Even my mini is far smoother and faster than the ipad 3.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Nah their content is usually good to amazing. Their features are among the best in the industry. Vergecast is also usually not nearly this awful.

Well, when I say content, I don't mean features. I mean their write ups, reviews. They're more for the general public than enthusiasts like us. Android Police has great content. It just doesn't do things as well as the Verge. Though, admittedly, no one does.

Drakeon

Anyone know if they've got heavy duty cases for the Nexus 5? I'm looking to invest in the best case I can find, as I'm a bit clumsy with my phone.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Well, when I say content, I don't mean features. I mean their write ups, reviews. They're more for the general public than enthusiasts like us. Android Police has great content. It just doesn't do things as well as the Verge. Though, admittedly, no one does.

Oh yeah for sure. They're more like Wired than an enthusiast site.

gcubed

Up-close shots where the object in the foreground is in focus and the background is not.

Basically, it's style of shot people use to take pictures of their food/drinks on Instagram.

I've missed some crazy instagram pictures if they are using macro for food. Its usually for things like insects, flowers, etc

JoeFu

Banned
fasdg,masdnfhlkjaSDHFALKSDJH;LKASDFJ;ALSDKFJ ADSF

ordered the 32 gig black

Good bye Galaxy Nexus! You did me well for almost 2 years!

I can't wait for this phone :D :D : D : D: D : D

Going to wait to see the battery life on this one before I pick between this and the Xperia Z1. I think it will be sold out by then though lol

edit: speaking of sold out...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom