• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 5 available as of now, starting at $349

Status
Not open for further replies.

snack

I hate the placement of the nexus 4 speakers. I would put my phone down and put on some tunes but I would not be able to see any notifications since the screen was face down.

With this soft rubbery back, I'm not sure if I will end up getting a case or a bumper.

The Nexus 4 had a greater need for one because of the glass back. This one looks like it would hold up pretty well without one.

I'll wait until it arrives so I can get a better grasp on its durability.

The lag is there. Its obvious to anyone who uses an iOS product.

It's really not. I had to compare them side by side myself to see the difference. Yes, there's a tiny split second longer that Android takes to scroll than iOS. I honestly can't notice it without having them in front of me to compare. And I don't see how people can claim it's so obvious. Maybe it's just me.

Knight77

Noticed that billing address is wrong (old) but the shipping one is correct.

Is it safe to change it (the billing one) or until the order doesn't change from "pending" it is still better to wait ?

hitsugi

I hate the placement of the nexus 4 speakers. I would put my phone down and put on some tunes but I would not be able to see any notifications since the screen was face down.

Yup. This was a major complaint of mine as well. Glad to see it's changed.

Its not choppiness, its a slightly slower response time. Its very smooth, has been for several versions.

The lag is there. Its obvious to anyone who uses an iOS product.

And to avoid the usual nonsense I'm saying this as someone who is dumping my iPhone for this.

My iPad 3rd generation with the new iOS 7 has sluggishness. I know people with older iPhones such as the 3g and 4/4s have had issues as well. That iOS is more smooth is such a 2 years old out dated argument.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ

zXBOD2C.png

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Nexus 5 in white, 16 GB. I am weak.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
I am so tempted right now but I have a perfectly fine HTC One.....someone stop me!

the nexus 5 is probably slimmer, probably faster, with pure up-to-date android and an 8mp camera with OIS.

you could sell the htc one for about $400 which buys you a 16gb nexus with $50 profit. im just saayyyiiinnn.

JPodz

Banned
So if I want to switch from Verizon to a carrier that supports the N5, whats the easiest way to do that? Wait til the phone is sold in a store and walk in and get one and switch and all that, or buy one from Google Play and then walk into a store and switch, etc etc?

Wag

Anyone use those transparent film screen protectors with their phones? Should I even bother? I plan on getting a holster case.

bjscott05

I ordered the black 16gb version. My Nexus 4 still runs fine, but the better battery life and camera interest me. If the camera and battery get poor reviews (which I'm not expecting) I'll just sell it.

hitsugi

I ordered the black 16gb version. My Nexus 4 still runs fine, but the better battery life and camera interest me. If the camera and battery get poor reviews (which I'm not expecting) I'll just sell it.

More or less the only reasons I'm upgrading. 1080p screen will also be nice, but the battery and camera improvements are most sought after.

Erv

Does anyone know a case like the official bumper case they showed but one that comes in a darker red?

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
the verge dudes seem to just say a lot of jokey stuff on the fly, officially they think the phone is great (8/10) but in the context of the conversation they can go off the rails, theyre talking as if they were in a bar, which i think is cool.

honestly, if i had to guess, i think theyll give the nexus 5 a 9/10.

The Verge: If it's not Apple, it's not relevant.

I know this phone doesn't have the best camera, screen, or best processor, but you have to focus on it's strengths. It's a bargain for an unlocked contract free phone. You actually get updates to the OS without having to wait for a carrier or OEM. No bloatware. Those were the selling points for me.

Knight77

Guys what about some FAQ for the orders? Since N4 new countries have been added in the list of the ones that can buy devices and some things looks new or weird for the people making this orders now.

Example (about me):

- Placed the order, money taken but order still on pending even if shows a shipping date. Is it normal?

- If answer for above is "yes", is it normal that I did not receive any mail from Google?

- When I placed the order I saw that my billing address was wrong, but shipping is right. Can I changing while the order is still pending or better to wait?

And I'm sure other people has other doubts...

gutshot

I had to turn that off. Way too much inane chit-chat. I'll wait for Josh's full review. I'm guessing he will like it, as he has turned into something of an Android fan of late.

Leonsito

I was fucked with the updates with my N1 and now with my GN, I always bought this pure-android devices to not having to run into this stupid issues, of course I knew that someday Google would stop updating my device, but not 18 fucking months later.

I was looking to buy the N5 but if I'm going to get fucked over and over I might get a Lumia or a 5S...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom