• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 5 available as of now, starting at $349

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lion

This is going to be my first smartphone (eventually). I will get the black 16GB version, looks like a solid phone.

Knight77

Anyone else status on the order say pending? It changed from shipping to this, so just curious.

Mine is pending since the beginning. After the order I did not even got the mail from Google (even if the payment was done) but in the end arrived (more ore less around 2 hours later?)

Shambles

IMPORTANT engadget.com is banned reddit wide for spam and shilling. (self.Android)

submitted 1 day ago by LuckyBdx4[M]

Noticed a lot of comments linking to articles from them in the modqueue. All are blocked

Hahaha

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Best part of the Nexus 5 release? No crappy press conference detailing minute, boring, predictable, and incremental upgrades. Leave those to Apple.

Kintaco

Ordered a White 32GB, wanted the White 16GB but it was out of stock. I tried ordering the 16GB when it came back in stock but got a fraud alert error. Oh well I'll have to live with the 32GB one! ;) Can't wait! I was hoping T-Mobile would have them in stock today though!

Chili

No notification LED? Sigh. One step forward, two steps back. I don't care about a super-fast GPU when something so basic is missing.

Edit: Are we sure about that though? Even the 2013 Nexus 7 has one.

mturco

I can't find anything that definitively says there is or is not a notification LED. That said, every Nexus device has had one including the recently released Nexus 7, so I see no reason it wouldn't have one.

lobdale

3 ft, coiled to the sky
i thought it was there too. though i've yet to see it in any picture

DO8Qph0.jpg

There's even a little circle on the cert sketches where it sits. Pretty sure the specs list also confirmed it.

Moff

tomorrow afternoon after work, I'll go get my black 16GB nexus 5

upgrading from an SGS2. about time.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
http://www.androidpolice.com/2013/1...duces-battery-consumption-when-playing-audio/

To address the latter issue, Google has introduced audio tunneling to DSP in Android 4.4. The premise is simple - instead of using the application processor to decode audio or respond to audio output requests, this responsibility is offloaded to the onboard DSP (digital signal processor). The DSP is much more efficient at such tasks than the CPU, and as such, Google estimates that the amount of power used playing back audio on your phone could decrease in excess of 50%! That's pretty impressive. In a local playback test (that is, non-streamed audio), the Nexus 5 extended its playback time from 30 hours without DSP tunneling to 60 hours with the new feature enabled.

LtNDbKz.png
LtNDbKz.png
LtNDbKz.png

Piano

Banned
Is there still not a comprehensive overview of the phone or KitKat? The videos I've seen posted here are all short impressions where they talk about the new features...and then either show them very briefly or not at all.

Like the new dialer. I've seen maybe 5 seconds of video on it.

uhhh this isn't even a choice. N5. And I own an HTC One. And like it a lot. But nexus is nexus.

Haha sorry I've been trying to read up more on Android phones as of late since I've been ignorant about it for years but what really makes Nexus stand out from its competition aside from price? Is it primarily because it has the latest firmware?

Cipherr

Is there still not a comprehensive overview of the phone or KitKat? The videos I've seen posted here are all short impressions where they talk about the new features...and then either show them very briefly or not at all.

Like the new dialer. I've seen maybe 5 seconds of video on it.

It just released for sale. Going to be a bit before you get in depth reviews.

Haha sorry I've been trying to read up more on Android phones as of late since I've been ignorant about it for years but what really makes Nexus stand out from its competition aside from price? Is it primarily because it has the latest firmware?

That and you get some incredible value since they are cheaper, but are now shipping with top of the line hardware. The updates are just icing on the cake.

Joco

Well I was going to try riding out the Galaxy Nexus for another year but after seeing that it won't be getting 4.4 I decided to pull the trigger on the N5. 32GB black, should be a great phone. Now I guess I also need a sim cutter to cut down my sim to micro-size.

Keyouta

Phone looks great, though I'll stick with my Galaxy Nexus for another year. 4.4 looks good, I'll flash it onto my phone anyway. I like the Nexus line's prices.

Kanyon

Fucking spewing, got up early and saw it up on the AUS Play store, shipping 1 - 2 days... Decided to go to the gym for an hour and order it after my workout - shipping is now 2 - 3 weeks!

FUCK! Oh well, still ordered it and I guess I'll wait the 2 - 3 weeks. Got the Black 32Gb.

reKon

Banned
uhhh this isn't even a choice. N5. And I own an HTC One. And like it a lot. But nexus is nexus.

Damn, you're going to make the jump then and leave me hanging? I think battery (which will be an improvement, but not THAT big of a jump), the one thing holding me back. Besides my company is basically paying for my phone... UNLESS I decide to trade it in as it still looks new.

Damn, you're going to make the jump then and leave me hanging? I think battery (which will be an improvement, but not THAT big of a jump), the one thing holding me back. Besides my company is basically paying for my phone... UNLESS I decide to trade it in as it still looks new.
haha yeah I can't say no to nexus man. Just can't. Gonna sell my One for 400+ should be all good to cover the cost.
Didn't you get a HTC One just a few months ago?

You're already upgrading to the N5?

Damn, Pyro. Damn.
don't judge me brehhhh

I always say someone's first android experience should be a pure one, so for your specific situation that's why it's best. But man you just can't beat unlocked, top of the line specs aside from the normal battery and decent camera. Its design shows restraint in a good way. And you'll get all updates quickest and tons of dev support. Did I mention unlocked?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom