• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 5 |OT|

Man I would really like to see speed tests done with ART enabled. Watched a video of load time comparisons against the 5S, but it was obvious it wasn't in ART. My Nexus loaded Netflix way faster than the Nexus in Dalvik.

It's out for delivery! So I should fully charge it first? Also, I need to call T-mobile and give them the imei number to get full 4g speeds, right?

yyzjohn

Banned
Man I would really like to see speed tests done with ART enabled. Watched a video of load time comparisons against the 5S, but it was obvious it wasn't in ART. My Nexus loaded Netflix way faster than the Nexus in Dalvik.

Dude from Android Police said he'll update soon with some benchmarks and stuff of ART vs. Dalvik.

Dude from Android Police said he'll update soon with some benchmarks and stuff of ART vs. Dalvik.
Can't wait. I really think with ART on it brings the phone pretty damn close to the 5S, if not better. Which is mind boggling awesome considering the circumstances.

yyzjohn

Banned
Can't wait. I really think with ART on it brings the phone pretty damn close to the 5S, if not better. Which is mind boggling awesome considering the circumstances.

Does Whatsapp work with ART? I heard it crashes, wonder if it just needs an app update.

teiresias

Nexus 5 camera v Galaxy S IV camera

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-6AszlQIIs

The N5 looks great here. It's not as sub par as most reviews would lead you to believe.

It seems to me like the N5 could currently do with having a permanent dial-in of exposure compensation to bring the exposure down, it seems to have a tendency to overexpose and blow out highlights. This isn't anything that one doesn't have to do with a regular camera at times anyway, so I don't know why these people that do comparisons don't play with that kind of thing if it's obvious that default settings on one device tend to a higher exposure than another.

lobdale

3 ft, coiled to the sky
I've been going for 16 hours on the battery and still have 70% remaining. That's with Wi-Fi on the whole time, a GPS drive to the airport and back, and 35 minutes of screen time. This battery is a real beast if you don't sit on your phone watching YouTube for four hours a day.

RC Cola

I've had ART enabled for ~24 hours and haven't noticed any drawbacks. Don't use any of the apps that seem to have compatibility issues, so seemed like a no brainer to me.

Think slightly longer install times and slightly more space used for apps are the drawbacks...but that's practically not even worth mentioning.

SimleuqiR

So, uh, should I enable ART? Outside of some apps not working, there are no other drawbacks?

Whatsapp is the only app I've encounter with issues. Though many people use it in my address book the are only two people I care to use it with, and those two family members are still on Blackberry devices, so I can communicate through BBM. No lost at my end.

Advantage? I guess native code? App loading is definitely quicker and I guess once the apps are running natively there is less work for the CPU to do.

Do note that the initial boot after you switch will be long. I had 100+ apps to update at boot when switching.

Light Flow has been fixed for the N5..it actually works now!

How taxing is Light Flow on your battery life? I mean the service that keeps an eye on notifications. I know that the more you make your light pulse the more battery it will consume.

So, uh, should I enable ART? Outside of some apps not working, there are no other drawbacks?
I've been running it for at least 24 hours as well and have had no issues. Skimming through the XDA thread the apps mentioned not working are:

Whatsapp
Titanium Backup
Rdio
Pepperplate or some such

I also have a nagging Android is upgrading/Optimizing apps thing that happens every time I boot, but it doesn't last very long. The first time you set it up though the boot will take ages. Smooth sailing otherwise.

I wouldn't be surprised if ART hits one of the next big updates.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
GOT IT!!!

tIAslyU.gif

It's out for delivery! So I should fully charge it first? Also, I need to call T-mobile and give them the imei number to get full 4g speeds, right?

I'm wondering if I should charge it first thing too.

verbum

If it's cold outside let it warm up for a day or two.

: )

It will probably be about 70-80% charged when you get it. I wouldn't worry about the charge.
I'm not on T mobile. When I got mine for the AT&T network, I just used the old sim from the N4 and copied the network settings over to the N5.
Wireless & Networks-->More-->Mobile Networks-->Access Point Names--> + APN.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I suspect a custom kernel will enable Knock On and always listening voice control. The 800 has the requisite hardware for it. A custom kernel should be able to make those two happen.

I've been running it for at least 24 hours as well and have had no issues. Skimming through the XDA thread the apps mentioned not working are:

Whatsapp
Titanium Backup
Rdio
Pepperplate or some such

I also have a nagging Android is upgrading/Optimizing apps thing that happens every time I boot, but it doesn't last very long. The first time you set it up though the boot will take ages. Smooth sailing otherwise.

I wouldn't be surprised if ART hits one of the next big updates.

No shit. I didn't know this beforehand, and it ate up like 12% of my battery while it did this.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
Knock on on the N5 would be sexy

How taxing is Light Flow on your battery life? I mean the service that keeps an eye on notifications. I know that the more you make your light pulse the more battery it will consume.

It doesn't seem to be too taxing, actually. Granted, I disabled it when it was broken...I'll keep it on and see if it affects battery life too much.

Husker86

GOT IT!!!

http://i.imgur.com/tIAslyU.gif[/IMG

I'm wondering if I should charge it first thing too.[/QUOTE]

Oh come on, not you too...no, you don't need to fully charge and then fully drain and then fully charge your phone to "condition" the battery.

zedge

Not sure wtf people are going about with regards to viewing angles. Next to my n4 this looks better.. This screen is amazing..I'm just blown away so far. So freaking crisp..damn. First 1080p screen here so..lol

Not sure wtf people are going about with regards to viewing angles. Next to my n4 this looks better.. This screen is amazing..I'm just blown away so far. So freaking crisp..damn. First 1080p screen here so..lol

People complained about viewing angles? How should they look? I see pretty much no shift no matter what angle I hold it at.

Remyzero

I got mine yesterday! My case also arrives today so it'll be prime to use. I was very happy when I called ATT to switch my 3G/HSPA to 4G/LTE because they were able to keep my unlimited plan. My first impressions, holy crap this phone is fast.

Top Bottom