• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 5 |OT|

tino

Banned
Hangouts is not ideal on iOS :(

Nothing Google can do though, it's one of those annoying things where you get a notification for a new message, open the app, and then have to wait for the actual app to realize there is a new message. I still do my best to convert, but some people just don't want to leave what they're used to. It also still uses the old iOS keyboard which is just terrible looking after getting used to the new one.

Whatsapp

Draper

Im so confused with pictures on this thing. There's the new pic a app... but then there's the old old app still... Then Google+ stores my pictures now... then there's picture 'highlights' even after I delete the source pic... so fucking confused.

I really really need this information please.

Will this work on wind mobile if i buy from google play store?

They have aws 1700 i think.

Today's stats!

7% kleft
16h
3h35m screen on, probably 40% brightness
Included an hour of streaming youtube videos

So, a lot better than yesterday just with lower brightness.

Will do and post a final battery run tomorrow

Mooreberg

is sharpening a shovel and digging a ditch
Loving the new launcher and Google Now integration. Will installing Google Voice mess with Hangouts at all? Everybody has my GV number, but Hangouts is much smoother and does a lot more.

Now I just need to get one of those CruzerLite cases and some screen protectors before I actually take this thing out and about.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Loving the new launcher and Google Now integration. Will installing Google Voice mess with Hangouts at all? Everybody has my GV number, but Hangouts is much smoother and does a lot more.

Now I just need to get one of those CruzerLite cases and some screen protectors before I actually take this thing out and about.

Nope. Just make sure you set Google Voice to use the default messaging app for texts in the settings.

Kintaco

hhBNzIp.jpg

I have a bad feeling about this. No departure Scan, no updates. UPS is usually good with updates from my experience. This is scheduled for delivery tomorrow, but something tells me to expect problems. :

Alright guys, so is it really as simple as;

1. Order my Nexus 5
2. Buy/Order a T-Mobile micro sim card
3. Put sim card in phone
4. Activate phone with T-Mobile $30 unlimited data+text and 100 talk minutes plan?

Correct me if I'm wrong. I still feel utterly hopeless when it comes to figuring these things out for myself :/

fse

1. Order my Nexus 5
3. Put sim card in phone
4. Activate phone with T-Mobile $30 unlimited data+text and 100 talk minutes plan?

Correct me if I'm wrong. I still feel utterly hopeless when it comes to figuring these things out for myself :/

Basically yes. Did that with mine.

Koko

Banned

1. Order my Nexus 5
3. Put sim card in phone

Kinda I'm stuck on step 4. Because I don't have an activation code.

My laptop does not recognize my Nexus 5, so I cannot insert SuperSU into it. Help?

How do I get my SIM card to work on Nexus 5 if I used it on Nexus 4? Just switching doesn't help..

rc213

My man. My nigga.

You don't have idea how much you help me.

No problem, I've had a couple T-Mobile Pre-paid Sim kits just picking up dust. Let me know if it works so I can dump the card.

If anyone else needs just the Activation code, Let me know as I have 2 left i think.

Battery is solid. I still had 40 percent left when taking this picture. Auto brightness. Tons of texting and web browsing (on chrome the battery eater too) and a tiny bit of video.

sKh9WIO.png

Koko

Banned
No problem, I've had a couple T-Mobile Pre-paid Sim kits just picking up dust. Let me know if it works so I can dump the card.

If anyone else needs just the Activation code, Let me know as I have 2 left i think.

It totally worked. So many thanks man.

Husker86

Got my pixel checker/fixer app to work with immersive mode and....I can't remember the password to my key to sign the app :( sonofabitch!

Kanyon

Got mine today, fuck this thing is smooth! So good to have a Nexus device again... Loving all the new Google features.

Today's stats!

7% kleft
16h
3h35m screen on, probably 40% brightness
Included an hour of streaming youtube videos

So, a lot better than yesterday just with lower brightness.

Will do and post a final battery run tomorrow

After you've done all of that, do you want to try again using JuiceDefender on default settings?

JuiceDefender was the nuts, but it hasn't had an update in nearly two years, so I'm not sure how effective it is on anything post ICS.

I feel like I'm stupid asking, but what happened to cards in google now?

If you're using the default launcher, from the home screen swipe your finger from left to right and you should see them?

Roelatie

Loving the ease of this mobile. Everthing responds quick and the installation was piece of cake.

I was wondering one thing, if seem a menu pop up with widgets but i have no idea how i did this.

Drensch

If you're using the default launcher, from the home screen swipe your finger from left to right and you should see them?

I think we're talking about different things. On my Galaxy Nexus, under Google now, I had score or next game of my hockey team, my places I frequently go to and my eta to them, weather, my stocks, etc.

Cipherr

Anandtechs battery tests are coming out.

-

-

Impressive.

I think we're talking about different things. On my Galaxy Nexus, under Google now, I had score or next game of my hockey team, my places I frequently go to and my eta to them, weather, my stocks, etc.

Hmm sounds like your cards didnt save. Odd I have switched phones but I remember it saving all my sports teams etc.

How are they getting these 3g/4g results? Do they stand next to a transmitter?

My average is 4hrs screen on Web browsing on 3g, that's at 13% brightness, usually around 3 bars of reception.

I'd like to spend a day at home purely on Wifi to see what results I get.

JordanKZ

People having problems with battery: Go into your location settings and set it down to Battery Saving accuracy. High accuracy was pulling more battery than my screen was.

Doopliss

People having problems with battery: Go into your location settings and set it down to Battery Saving accuracy. High accuracy was pulling more battery than my screen was.
I left High Accuracy on (since I don't want to have to re-enable GPS every time I need it) and disabled Google Location Reporting instead.

Nexus 5 camera v Galaxy S IV camera

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-6AszlQIIs

The N5 looks great here. It's not as sub par as most reviews would lead you to believe.

Supercurio (the Voodoo Sound guy) put up a nice comparison gallery of these two devices with comments on each image/video.

-

-

Impressive.

Hmm sounds like your cards didnt save. Odd I have switched phones but I remember it saving all my sports teams etc.

That's inline with what I've been getting. Maybe people will stop regurgitating comments about the battery from BS reviews.

Trying to find a battery benchmark to compare to my S3 which I have a *slight* issue with but usually lasts a day.

Is it better or worse?

terrier

is there a way to root the device without unlocking the bootloader? I just want to install Cerberus as a system app (and then unroot again)

terrier

I'm afraid not...!

any chance that this may change in the future?

If it doesn't i guess i will have to learn how to lock the bootloader again.

btw, woud a future OTA delete the cerberus app if installed as a system app, so i would have to install it again ?

Ty4on

That's inline with what I've been getting. Maybe people will stop regurgitating comments about the battery from BS reviews.

Brian, who did those tests, said in their latest mobile show that he'd like to see how people judged battery life if they didn't know the capacity beforehand. A blind test where the numbers didn't leak and looking at how the N5 did vs G2 (when the G2 should theoretically smash it) I agree.

tino

Banned
any chance that this may change in the future?

If it doesn't i guess i will have to learn how to lock the bootloader again.

btw, woud a future OTA delete the cerberus app if installed as a system app, so i would have to install it again ?

If you have root you can easily reinstall from Titanium anyway.

Vostro

So is there a way to sync all the Facebook profile picture to all my contacts? It works on the last phone I have but can't seem to work on this phone.

SimleuqiR

So is there a way to sync all the Facebook profile picture to all my contacts? It works on the last phone I have but can't seem to work on this phone.

Many moons ago FB and Googy had a spat about sharing contacts:

http://phandroid.com/2011/02/23/goo...t-sync-in-android-2-3-3-nexus-s-only-for-now/

Facebook never used Android’s Contacts API, meaning synced data was not portable from device to device, service to service. If you uninstall the Facebook application, poof. There goes the data.

HaxSync is your best option.

Top Bottom