• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 5 |OT|

Zeppelin

Just got mine. And of course it has got a dead pixel. Can't say I care that much though. Phones are boring and I just needed a new one.

SSGMUN10000

Connoisseur Of Tedium
I have had my N5 since yesterday and have not been to impressed with the screen. Call me crazy but I think the colors on the N4 are better. The N5 has the edge in resolution and crispiness.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I have had my N5 since yesterday and have not been to impressed with the screen. Call me crazy but I think the colors on the N4 are better. The N5 has the edge in resolution and crispiness.
Just needs a kernel to tweak color and fix that, hopefully. The N4 stock color is washed out plenty.

Yes. Since about two months ago, I think.

Yeah, my old phone was running gingerbread so my maps was never updated so I just wanted to check. The only hard thing for me is getting used to having everything more streamlined now, I was used to having to switch between apps for stuff.

Tenacious-V

Thinks his PR is better than yours.
Okay I'm confused here. My provider (MTS in Winnipeg) says I can't get LTE on my phone because it isn't supported. They use LTE band 4 which is listed as supported. The online tech guy told me though, that they use GSM frequency 1700/2100 which the Nexus 5 doesn't support.

I thought that as long as the correct LTE band was supported, that's all I had to worry about. I have normal service and 3G, but he says I can't switch to LTE.

Can anyone help me understand this? I didn't know LTE was dependent on the GSM frequencies, I thought it was separate.

**Edit: nm, I was right, the GSM frequencies have nothing to do with the LTE Bands... Incompetent tech support.

I went to a MTS Connect store and told them it should be supported. They kept telling me the frequencies are wrong. So I made them put one of their SIMs in, and boom LTE pops up... So they started scrambling on their systems and it turns out when they upgraded my SIM to LTE, they switched my data account to HSPA only... So my phone was looking for an LTE signal when I was only on the 3G network.

And they tell me my phone doesn't support LTE....

Google also messed up on the N4s original screen calibration, it'll probably get tweaked in an update, or I imagine there will be some sort of display control for the N5.

I have the chance to buy a Nexus 5 today but by doing so I won't be able to buy a new headset for another two weeks (my headset is literally falling apart).

Should I wait for the Nexus 5 or buy it now? I don't want a repeat of how the Nexus 4 was impossible to find.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Marques Brownlee - Google Nexus 5 Review

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1dg2UIzIt4s

LtNDbKz.png

lunchtoast

Anyone with prepaid tmobile have your phone say it doesn't support the data and you need a new plan? Do I just need to wait for my number transfer to go through?

yyzjohn

Banned
I caved and bought one today. This phone is so nice. Lighter then the Nexus 4, screen is gorgeous. Can't wait to put it through it's paces!

Will whatsapp work with a google voice number? I can't seem to get it to work.

P.S. I love my first smart phone. I didn't find any flaws yet i.e. dead pixels. *knocks on wood*

Hmmm...Ok Google is not doing anything now. Hotword detection not working.

On the search bar the mic symbol is not filled in:
UOIcXWQ.jpg
[/IMG]

Restart didn't solve issue.

Edit: Another restart and it works now.

WTF

SimleuqiR

Will whatsapp work with a google voice number? I can't seem to get it to work.

P.S. I love my first smart phone. I didn't find any flaws yet i.e. dead pixels. *knocks on wood*

The processes via SMS will bomb, but you should eventually get a conformation. Opt for their system to give you a call to confirm the mobile #. It will work this way.

The processes via SMS will bomb, but you should eventually get a conformation. Opt for their system to give you a call to confirm the mobile #. It will work this way.

Thanks for the response. Before you got back to me, I managed to fail that. It sucks that you have to wait 30 minutes to call them back lol

Shambles

The left most screen is always home in 4.4? Fuck that. I won't be updating my 4.4 if it's sacrificing one of my major home screens to dump their google now garbage onto it.

jimbor

Banned
Does anyone know if there's a way to change the behaviour of the stock keyboard. I really like it but every time I swipe a swear word, i always have to delete the word that's come out instead and it's never in the further suggestions so I have to peck it out. Very annoying.

Edit:

The left most screen is always home in 4.4? Fuck that. I won't be updating my 4.4 if it's sacrificing one of my major home screens to to dump their google now garbage onto it.

Google now isn't home for me.

Shambles

Use a 3rd party launcher.

I tried to use one before and although I greatly enjoyed being able to fit way more icons onto the screen I found it make the UI jerky so I ended up going back to the stock launcher. Perhaps on the N5 it's not an issue with it's faster processor.

Your loss.

Google Now is awesome.

I already have 3 different ways to access google now from any given home screen. Why on earth do I need a 4th? (or 2 and 3 if you're not counting the search bar as technically being google now.)

Does anyone know if there's a way to change the behaviour of the stock keyboard. I really like it but every time I swipe a swear word, i always have to delete the word that's come out instead and it's never in the further suggestions so I have to peck it out. Very annoying.

Settings - Language and Input -

Click on the settings buton next to Google Keyboard and untick 'Block offensive words'

Groof

I tried to use one before and although I greatly enjoyed being able to fit way more icons onto the screen I found it make the UI jerky so I ended up going back to the stock launcher. Perhaps on the N5 it's not an issue with it's faster processor.

Don't know how you've experienced that. On all four devices I've ran a 3rd party launcher on non have been noticeably laggier than the stock launcher.

Shambles

Don't know how you've experienced that. On all four devices I've ran a 3rd party launcher on non have been noticeably laggier than the stock launcher.

Hrmmm. Perhaps it's just a device issue. Hopefully my N4 flash isn't turning to garbage with age like my Nexus S did. I ended up having to stop using firefox because it got to the point where I would be typing on the keyboard and have to wait several seconds for it to respond.

Email widget is not removing mails that I've read. Fix this shit, Google! My OCD is killing me and I hate seeing that widget telling me I have 20+ unread emails when ive read it all.

I already have 3 different ways to access google now from any given home screen. Why on earth do I need a 4th? (or 2 and 3 if you're not counting the search bar as technically being google now.)

Swiping to the left screen is far more intuitive than long pressing the home button and dragging up. Big improvement, IMO.

Tenacious-V

Thinks his PR is better than yours.
The left most screen is always home in 4.4? Fuck that. I won't be updating my 4.4 if it's sacrificing one of my major home screens to dump their google now garbage onto it.

You can just turn off Google Now if you hate it so much. I really like it, but whatever.

Go to google now, click the 3 dots at the bottom right, settings, switch off.

You shouldn't skip KitKat just because of that, the optimizations are too good.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Swiping to the left screen is far more intuitive than long pressing the home button and dragging up. Big improvement, IMO.

My only issue is that if you're swiping to the left really fast and hit the Google Now screen you'll swipe away some cards. Gotta train myself not to do that.

zedge

I really like how the home screens are on 4.4. I only used three on my N4 and the other two were empty, which I could have deleted them. Now I just have two, but the choice to add more. Win. Also I love the larger icons. Going back to my N4 it just looks odd now lol.

Shambles

It's sad that they are basically forcing me to not use Google Now by nerfing the entire OS UI and forcing me to disable it to retain useful home screens. Good to hear I can just disable it but I have seriously doubts as to it letting me have a left of home screen even if I do. If that's the case disabling it doesn't help me either. :S

It's exactly the same gesture minus the direction you're swiping.... Why don't we just remove the notification bar as well just so we can swipe down from the top to get to google now while we're at it.

Kintaco

Got mine earlier today! I was busy putting on a screen protectro (which I totally botched!) and put on my Spigen Ultra Hybrid case. Here it is if anyone is curious to how it looks.
ibhFrZw56ifjgf.JPG

The film is still on the case, so it looks a little dull.

It's exactly the same gesture minus the direction you're swiping.... Why don't we just remove the notification bar as well just so we can swipe down from the top to get to google now while we're at it.

It's more intuitive because it's more natural to swipe sideways to scroll through home screens than to long press the home button and drag upward.

It's not the same gesture.

cube444

As soon as somebody wanted my Nexus 4 for $200, I quickly turned around and bought a black Nexus 16 GB opened for $420 Canadian. :lol

Is there a notification light to show you when the phone is fully charged, or do you have to view the battery lvl from the os?

Whilst the phone is charging the lock screen will provide info, either "Charging xx%" or "Fully charged".

If you download Lightflow off the market you can set it to flash the LED once its fully charged.

jimbor

Banned
My LED finally started working today, hadn't worked before, at least that I'd noticed and I was looking out for it. Very strange.

lunchtoast

Got my phone all unlocked and rooted. Enough phone stuff for today, will probably call Tmobile tomorrow if it's not working then.

Doopliss

It's more intuitive because it's more natural to swipe sideways to scroll through home screens than to long press the home button and drag upward.

You can just swipe up. Long pressing is optional.

I just realised that when Google Now is disabled it will bring up the keyboard with the search bar already highlighted... and it happens ridiculously fast.

Shambles

You don't have to long press anything. It's the exact same gesture from a different side of the screen. Is this different on Sense or Touchwiz?

GJS

You don't have to long press anything. It's the exact same gesture from a different side of the screen. Is this different on Sense or Touchwiz?

The swipe to open google now from the left can be done anywhere on the screen.

The swipe up has to be from the menu bar.

Top Bottom