• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 5 |OT|

The thing tells you the percentage when you charge it. After 99% it goes to fully charged.

I think one of the iPad's, maybe it was the 3rd generation actually needed an extra hour or so after it says it was at 100 percent to actually be fully charged. Don't look at me like I'm crazy. :)

JoeFu

Banned
I think one of the iPad's, maybe it was the 3rd generation actually needed an extra hour or so after it says it was at 100 percent to actually be fully charged. Don't look at me like I'm crazy. :)

I dunno I've never heard of that for any of my Nexus phones. I've had the Nexus 1, Galaxy Nexus, and now the 5.

Wag

I'm in... for now. The glossy edge on the white model does not please me. But the white back does, even though it isn't as grippable as the black from the Nexus 7.

I have a white 32GB model. I'm afraid I'm going to drop it. That's why I want a case. I ordered one from Amazon last week but I have no idea when/if it's going to ship.:/

The only case I'd ever consider getting is one so slim it would be like it's not there. I think that's the Ringke Slim. Nekked for now though.

Wag

Which case did you pick?

I usually go caseless with every device I own, but I'm a bit concerned with the glossy sides. I'm imaging having the thing slip right out of my hands if I answer on a hot day or something. And the thing's so light that the right case might not bother me.

I ordered this case (they've since raised the price by $5). There are comparable ones on Amazon for a few dollars less. I have a ship date of early next week, but I suspect they're a little company and have no idea if they're going to stick to it.

SSGMUN10000

Connoisseur Of Tedium
The only case I'd ever consider getting is one so slim it would be like it's not there. I think that's the Ringke Slim. Nekked for now though.

I got mine today and really impressed with it. Doesn't add much bulk. Might be the first case I end up keeping on a phone. The only thing I don't like is that the Nexus logo is covered.

tirminyl

Only thing I don't like is having the headphone jack on the top. Also the vibrate is like a lazy fart.

Yeah, headphone jack on top is the only bad part of the design IMO.

Totally agree! I have to hold my headphone cord to the back of the phone when I am listening to podcasts and browsing the phone on the bus. I also keep picking up the phone while its upside down if I have the headphones in lol.

Husker86

Republished my pixel checker app (lost password to key to previous version...had to abandon it).

Supports Immersive Mode so you can check all pixels on the Nexus 5. Has option to attempt to fix stuck pixels (dead ones are dead).

Play Store Link

And to think...you were going to cancel your order!

I still think the order process was messed up. I just wish google was more honest and up to date with their tracking. It didn't ship on the 5th like they said, but two days later and arrived a day after that. I still don't understand how people who ordered hours or even on the 1st got theirs before me. I hear the store was better than last year when the Nexus 4 came out, but it's obvious they still need to improve things.

moeppel

is there a way to show the album cover art in the default music app? tried a few cover grabber apps, but no luck yet :/

edit: okay, I had to "clear data" on the play music app so it will rescan the music folder....

Doopliss

Republished my pixel checker app (lost password to key to previous version...had to abandon it).

Supports Immersive Mode so you can check all pixels on the Nexus 5. Has option to attempt to fix stuck pixels (dead ones are dead).

Play Store Link
This is a handy little utility. Found a couple of bugs though:
- If you switch apps then return to PPC or power the screen off and back on the navigation bar will remain on screen and can't be hidden without exiting the app.
- Rotating the device causes a crash.

It would also feel more polished if the system bars were not hidden on the title screen and automatically faded out/back in as you swipe around.

Hydrargyrus

Hmmm...Ok Google is not doing anything now. Hotword detection not working.

On the search bar the mic symbol is not filled in:
UOIcXWQ.jpg
[/IMG]

Restart didn't solve issue.

Edit: Another restart and it works now.

WTF

I'm in the same situation.

I've activated the google now, but the micro is not filled and I can't call it with "Ok google", only when I tape on it responds

nico1982

Yesterday the phone managed 22 hours and an half with 30% of screen time and 17% remaining charge. It is not awful, but I'd buy an extended battery in an heartbeat. LG, do it.

I've activated the google now, but the micro is not filled and I can't call it with "Ok google", only when I tape on it responds
Are you aware of the fact that only works when the voice input language is set to english?

Husker86

This is a handy little utility. Found a couple of bugs though:
- If you switch apps then return to PPC or power the screen off and back on the navigation bar will remain on screen and can't be hidden without exiting the app.
- Rotating the device causes a crash.

It would also feel more polished if the system bars were not hidden on the title screen and automatically faded out/back in as you swipe around.
I noticed that first bug and couldn't figure it out, but I think I have an idea now.

The rotating thing...interesting. It worked before I added immersive mode. Thanks for pointing those out!

Google handles the fading in and out, that isn't something I can fine tune unfortunately.

Play Store Link

Crap, looks like I have two stuck (or possibly dead) pixels.

I guess it's to be expected. And these displays are so high-res that they're practically invisible.

jokkir

Hmmm...Ok Google is not doing anything now. Hotword detection not working.

On the search bar the mic symbol is not filled in:
UOIcXWQ.jpg
[/IMG]

Restart didn't solve issue.

Edit: Another restart and it works now.

WTF

I'm in the same situation.

Not on Nexus 5 but on Kitkat and that usually happens to me when I'm in a loud area. Were you on the bus or something?

SSGMUN10000

Connoisseur Of Tedium
If anyone is interested I have one N5 32GB for sale. Looking to make a little profit on this. If interested PM me.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Google has been pretty good about replacing units with dead pixels, correct?

I might call their CS and get a replacement just because.
My suggestion is to wait it out until the kinks are worked out. I waited replacing my N4 and they updated the model with speaker bumps.

My suggestion is to wait it out until the kinks are worked out. I waited replacing my N4 and they updated the model with speaker bumps.

Yeah, probably a good idea.

I'll run some pixel fixers to see if I can unstick them, if they're just stuck and not dead.

But even so, it's not really that big of a deal. The pixels are so goddamn tiny on this thing. But still, I definitely wouldn't say no to a brand new phone in a couple of months.

How long did you wait to ask for an N4 replacement? Was it for dead pixels?

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
How long did you wait to ask for an N4 replacement? Was it for dead pixels?
Like 6 months. Because I could deal with an imperfect model. And it was worth it because those early models were crap. Softer screens, too.

My issue was that the bottom of the phone would push in. Strange but fine to live with for a bit. I got the updated model with a non scratched screen when I RMA'd it.

Like 6 months. Because I could deal with an imperfect model. And it was worth it because those early models were crap. Softer screens, too.

My issue was that the bottom of the phone would push in. Strange but fine to live with for a bit. I got the updated model with a non scratched screen when I RMA'd it.

Good to know. It's nice that Google is so generous with replacements.

Bboy AJ

Good to know. It's nice that Google is so generous with replacements.
And that's why you always purchase through the Play Store. Look at the pita I'm having with my Nexus 10. Have to deal with Samsung directly who wants me to ship first. It'll be like a week, minimum, of downtime.

RoKKeR

Saw my first Nexus 5 out in the wild yesterday. Man, what a beautiful slab of a screen. So much real-estate on the front, I love it. I don't think I would pick up the white model but it looked nice.

SSGMUN10000

Connoisseur Of Tedium
Saw my first Nexus 5 out in the wild yesterday. Man, what a beautiful slab of a screen. So much real-estate on the front, I love it. I don't think I would pick up the white model but it looked nice.

I got a black one for myself and a white one for my wife. For the first time in a phone I prefer the white version.

Got my N5 on Friday. Transferred everything over and went through testing my applications today.

Everything worked fine except for ChaosRings (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.square_enix.chaosrings.googleplay) and ChaosRings Omega (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.square_enix.chaosringsomega.googleplay) which both crash instantly on Launch, is this a problem with the way I transferred stuff over (using TitaniumBackup) or are these apps busted ? I remember about half of Squares stuff (including these) broke when 4.3 came out. Does anyone here have either of these and can confirm that they (don't) work ?

Top Bottom