• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 5 |OT|

Rootbeer

Banned
waiting on t-mobile to change my number over... it's been over 6 hours, is this normal? i guess it will txt me when it goes through. so far nothing

Wag

I just noticed there's no easy way to uninstall/remove apps from the Play store. They removed the ability to remotely uninstall apps from your PC. I have a shitload of apps listed I don't want from a previous device I used to own with no way to get rid of them.:/

Ptaaty

friend has one...loves most of it...hates battery life.

It seems the iphone 5 has much better management when off. But still something must be up with his.

I have a GS3 with AOKP based ROM and his battery was getting shredded compared with mine (standby, 4G coverage, couple hour show).

Any ideas? Bug or something?

Seemed really nice to me, otherwise.

this_guy

Battery life is definitely weird. First night with my phone, battery dropped from 100% to 95% over night, which is what I expect. Last night it dropped from 100% to 74% over night, but looking at my battery stats didn't show any apps running out of control. Rebooting the phone slowed down the battery drain.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Hopefully 4.4.1 comes soon and fixes the battery inconsistency and the camera focus times.

lunchtoast

So what is the verdict...white/black or black?

I got white, because my last two phones were black.

So what cases are you guys getting?

People are saying the Spigen ultrafit is too sharp on the bottom which is hurting the pinky. The Caseology ones looks good, but don't know how thick it is. Reviews for Ringke are saying it's slippery which is the reason I'm getting one in the first place.

Arken2121

Has anyone else experienced issues with Sprints data using this phone? I'm thinking of switching providers because of problem.

friend has one...loves most of it...hates battery life.

It seems the iphone 5 has much better management when off. But still something must be up with his.

I have a GS3 with AOKP based ROM and his battery was getting shredded compared with mine (standby, 4G coverage, couple hour show).

Any ideas? Bug or something?

Seemed really nice to me, otherwise.

Definitely a bug. Phone idles like a champ for me.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Just got an email from Spigen via Amazon regarding a recall for the Nexus 5 screen protectors? Anyone else get that? I haven't had a problem with mine, but based on this topic it seems to be legit. Contact address is redacted though.

Will probably get a replacement rather than a refund despite not having issues, mostly because I could have done better applying it. Dust got stuck to the screen protector the moment I took the back off.

By the way, I have to say the glas.t looks and feels fantastic. I've never used a screen protector I actually liked on any device, but this is finally an exception to the rule.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Remember when people said 2300 mah was enough and told me not to worry? How Google somehow had some magic pixie dust battery? Yeah, I told you so. No matter what software tricks you thought existed, 3000 > 2300. I've yet to see one review praise the battery life. You are not able to just use the phone without being conscious of battery life.

I bought an external battery charger for when I'm traveling on holiday.

Linkhero1

My LED light started to work after a day. Weird.

Edit: When will the Google Bumper Case be in stock? I need one before I drop my phone.

zedge

Remember when people said 2300 mah was enough and told me not to worry? How Google somehow had some magic pixie dust battery? Yeah, I told you so. No matter what software tricks you thought existed, 3000 > 2300. I've yet to see one review praise the battery life. You are not able to just use the phone without being conscious of battery life.

If it lasts as long as my n4 I'm happy. Still better than most. Today is the first real test.
So far 5hr 4min. 50 min screen time. 81% left. Blue tooth enabled also.

Drakeon

Definitely a bug. Phone idles like a champ for me.

Me too, loving the battery life. I'm coming from a Motorola Droid Bionic, that, for whatever reason, was the worst battery hog ever for the past year or so. It was fucking terrible. The Nexus 5 is pure bliss so far, battery wise.

Shambles

I didn't realize that improving battery life significantly over last years model was such a travesty.

BigFwoosh

Just activated Straight Talk (AT&T sim) and put my phone through a full charge. The result:

HyqZgwb.png

Screen on time was around 3.5 hours, and I spent much of last night and today off wifi. I know people are saying the battery life is super inconsistent, but so far this is far better than my Verizon Galaxy Nexus ever hoped to be. Hoping for similar results over the next week.

Tenacious-V

Thinks his PR is better than yours.

I'm coming from a Moto Atrix that had a 1930mah battery running tegra 2... That thing was a battery hog and gave me screen on time of about 1.5hours before drained. No gaming or anything, just having the screen on. 25-40% battery drain on standby overnight. Normal use would get me 6 hours tops.

Having to charge it twice a day was shit. And this was when it was new, just before I replaced it with the Nexus 5 you could cut all of the times in half. That thing was an expensive POS.

On average since I've gotten the Nexus 5, I'm getting 12 - 16 hours on a charge. Around 3 - 4 hours of screen on time (~20% brightness), LTE only. That get's me through the day no problem. I only lose 5 - 10% on standby overnight.

Yeah 3000 > 2300, but the battery life is far from bad on the Nexus 5, I get a full day and that's all I need. It's also $300 cheaper than phones with a 3000mah battery. I'll gladly toss the phone on a charger before bed every night than pay an extra $300 for a few more hours of use.

No, I use mine pretty care-free.

Also, you can probably count on Anandtech's review praising the battery, considering their benchmarks leaked and show the Nexus 5 does very, very well.

Yes, 3000 > 2300, but...

That 700mAh only gets you an hour more battery life. Zzz.

Aaron from Phonedog says it doesn't last him all day. :(

still waiting on Anandtech and GSMArena full range battery tests to see where it stands.

Finally got mine working with Straight Talk, bye bye Verizon. Paying 60 bucks less a month will more than make up for the prince of the phone(plus selling my s4).

Comparing both phones, the Nexus 5 does everything faster, Im surprised.

still waiting on Anandtech and GSMArena full range battery tests to see where it stands.

Anandtech's battery test benchmarks leaked.

Nexus 5:
Wifi Browsing: 10.83
2g/3g browsing: 6.436
4g lte browsing: 6.929

They edited the leak to remove the N5 from the lineup, but you can just take the numbers above and compare them below.

WiFi: http://www.anandtech.com/bench/SmartPhone13/514
2G/3G: http://www.anandtech.com/bench/SmartPhone13/786
LTE: http://www.anandtech.com/bench/SmartPhone13/516

Anand confirming it was a legit leak: http://i.imgur.com/6b3bSFz.png

Ty4on

Also, you can probably count on Anandtech's review praising the battery, considering their benchmarks leaked and show the Nexus 5 does very, very well.

Yes, 3000 > 2300, but...

The iPhone 5S in the top with like a 1600mAh battery.

nico1982

Anandtech's battery test benchmarks leaked.

Nexus 5:
Wifi Browsing: 10.83
2g/3g browsing: 6.436
4g lte browsing: 6.929
There are two issues at play. The first is that the phone is like a new toy, so most users are playing with it more than they usually do. The second is that the Nexus 5 is so good that you'd want it to last forever :p

A few more hundreds of mAh would have been not a bad decision.

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
What are the opinions on the Google Hangouts/SMS thing?

Confused me at first, are people using a different one from the play store instead?

Linkhero1

Confused me at first, are people using a different one from the play store instead?

I didn't realize the lack of an MMS app on the phone until I searched for it. I've always used GOSMS for my texting.

this_guy

I'm using it as my main text app. I've been able to send and receive group messages so it gets the job done.

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member
Saw one of these today in CarphoneWarehouse. Really impressed by it. Simple design but really nice and I really liked the texture on the back.

Knight77

I have finished the second cycle battery charge / use, about to start the third. Both of the times I finished at 17% of battery with 14 hours of use, pretty bad. Any suggestion about how to get it better?
In particular, in location service what did you set and what do you suggest to set? Now I have like high precision (or what is called) which use wi-fi and GPS, someone suggest to use only GPS, but I would like to hear your suggestion.

zedge

I have finished the second cycle battery charge / use, about to start the third. Both of the times I finished at 17% of battery with 14 hours of use, pretty bad. Any suggestion about how to get it better?
In particular, in location service what did you set and what do you suggest to set? Now I have like high precision (or what is called) which use wi-fi and GPS, someone suggest to use only GPS, but I would like to hear your suggestion.

How much screen time? That will judge how good or bad this is.

No, I use mine pretty care-free.

Yes, 3000 > 2300, but...

You're using ART, right? Maybe that helps your battery?

Razdek

Banned
I'm getting pretty bad battery life with this device but it's on par or just a little worse than my Nexus 4. Disappointed as I was expecting a lot more from this device.

I'm on T-mobile and I have no service 95% on my N5 of the time.
I'm using a SIM card that was on my N4 and I had no troubles with service on that phone. Help please! :(

Top Bottom