• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 5 |OT|

Arken2121

Straight Talk or any AT&T MVNO. T-Mobile if they have service in your area and you don't ever leave.

I'm trying to sell my S4 and have a Nexus 5 on the way; there's one vote.

Do they throttle you under the unlimited plan for data? Also, how are the speeds?

zedge

I'm getting pretty bad battery life with this device but it's on par or just a little worse than my Nexus 4. Disappointed as I was expecting a lot more from this device.

Weird, mine seems better so far. Very inconsistent results for sure it seems.

Doopliss

I have finished the second cycle battery charge / use, about to start the third. Both of the times I finished at 17% of battery with 14 hours of use, pretty bad. Any suggestion about how to get it better?
In particular, in location service what did you set and what do you suggest to set? Now I have like high precision (or what is called) which use wi-fi and GPS, someone suggest to use only GPS, but I would like to hear your suggestion.
Leave it on high accuracy. You want the phone to use wifi/mobile networks for location when apps don't request GPS-precision, and you when they do request it you probably want them to use GPS. Just keep an eye on the recent location requests list for apps labelled "High battery use". That means it has used GPS for location. If you don't think it should have done so you you could then consider changing from high accuracy to battery saving location mode, or alternatively replacing that app.

The setting that has been known to significantly affect battery life is location reporting in the Google location settings. Turning it off will reduce Google Now functionality but you might want to try it to see if you get an improvement. I have no idea how much impact it could have on this phone.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Finally got mine working with Straight Talk, bye bye Verizon. Paying 60 bucks less a month will more than make up for the prince of the phone(plus selling my s4).

Comparing both phones, the Nexus 5 does everything faster, Im surprised.

LtNDbKz.png

My Straight Talk SIM won't get here until next week. :(

Husker86

Do they throttle you under the unlimited plan for data? Also, how are the speeds?

Yeah, they do. I'm using AT&T postpaid right now so I can't answer for sure, but I'm pretty sure Straight Talk is just as fast as AT&T postpaid up until 2.5GB or something. AT&T's own prepaid service is throttled on LTE from the start I think.

GrapeApes

For those doing Straight Talk. Lets say I currently have service with TMo but I want to use mostly ATT networks. Do I have to buy the TMo sim or ATT sim that Straight Talk offers? Will I still be able to access ATT networks if I choose the TMo sim option? I ask because my new workplace is a deadzone and only ATT or Verizon will work in the buliding.

this_guy

Didn't Straight Talk stop issuing AT&T Sim cards in favor of T-Mobile Sim cards? (Meaning you're using T-Mobile's network and not AT&T). Or was that only a temporary thing?

cube444

I'm getting pretty bad battery life with this device but it's on par or just a little worse than my Nexus 4. Disappointed as I was expecting a lot more from this device.

I've owned both and so far my N5 battery life is way better than what I got for the N4.

cube444

Crazy the official cases are still absent. I want that gray one.

It has already launched through Sprint and T-Mobile, hasn't it? Odd that they'd get that far without an official case.

Yep. Find it hilarious that something as easy to make like a case is sold out.

Aad

You can always root and install greenify.

My setup on the N4, battery life improved by at least 50%

Question, at 12h 15m I have Android OS at 11% battery usage (2nd highest) with a keep awake of 1h8m, is that normal?

Same with Google Play Services at 1h14m keep awake.

Battery is still good for me, 3h screen time, 22% left.

Husker86

Question, at 12h 15m I have Android OS at 11% battery usage (2nd highest) with a keep awake of 1h8m, is that normal?

Same with Google Play Services at 1h14m keep awake.

Battery is still good for me, 3h screen time, 22% left.
Google play services is almost definitely from location services. If you use Google Now and other location things then it will almost always be one of the higher battery users. If you turn Location Services off you probably won't see Google Play Services on the list. I never did that for long though since it kinda defeated the purpose of a smartphone.

Battery life is bad? You guys must be spoiled. Just at stock with no battery apps, ROMs, or kernels it demolishes any phone I've had before. I'm getting at least 4 hours of screen time consistently.

How is that unusable to you guys?

Maybe you guys should get an iPhone.

EDIT: Reading around it seems people get a wide range of battery life with this thing. Mine's always consistent at least.

Seville

So this is my first smartphone coming from a BB 9700. Any recommended apps or tips/tricks about android? This thing is amazing. I can't get over how good the screen looks. Incredible.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Seems like every review but Anand feels battery life is unremarkable. How can that be?

Battery life is bad? You guys must be spoiled.

Keep that "entitled consumer" bullshit over at Gaming. We don't need it.

Seems like every review but Anand feels battery life is unremarkable. How can that be?

Keep that "entitled consumer" bullshit over at Gaming. We don't need it.

Define "unremarkable". Your definition could be different to mine.

And calm down. You are looking way too much into that comment.

zedge

My first full day. Bluetooth on half the day too. Auto brightness. Pretty average day for me. No complaints here. Lots left there.

2bVwgfr.jpg

JmMa8r9.jpg

Those results were before I switched to ART. :)

So far, AndroidPolice seems to think ART might hurt standby time. I haven't seen that happen yet.
Yeah I was reading about this. ART impressions seem to be all over the place (much like battery life, hah). Some people claiming it's not faster, and in some cases slower. Some claiming battery life is better, others worse. It's all over the place.

I'm gonna leave my phone up overnight and see how it goes. I didn't really use my phone much today and only say about a 5% drop over 7 hours with ART.

On battery life, If I had to say anything, the N5's battery life is average. It's by no means bad, but it's not pushing anything great either.

tirminyl

Battery life is great to me. For now, I don't have to worry about my battery life while out. I took it off the charger early this morning and ran around town and then to a friends to watch the fights and I have 30% left. With my galaxy nexus I would have needed to hit the charger by noon, kept it charged in the car as I drove around, hit the charger again before going to my friends house and I would have taken a portable battery, just in case.

So for me, it's amazing.

Anandtech's battery test benchmarks leaked.

Nexus 5:
Wifi Browsing: 10.83
2g/3g browsing: 6.436
4g lte browsing: 6.929

They edited the leak to remove the N5 from the lineup, but you can just take the numbers above and compare them below.

WiFi: http://www.anandtech.com/bench/SmartPhone13/514
2G/3G: http://www.anandtech.com/bench/SmartPhone13/786
LTE: http://www.anandtech.com/bench/SmartPhone13/516

Anand confirming it was a legit leak: http://i.imgur.com/6b3bSFz.png
so good according to Anand?... only thing left is GSMArena tests...

Didn't Straight Talk stop issuing AT&T Sim cards in favor of T-Mobile Sim cards? (Meaning you're using T-Mobile's network and not AT&T). Or was that only a temporary thing?
they stopped selling AT&T sims for around half a year, but started again fairly recently and also clarified their data policy.

most reviewers are hot garbage when it comes to battery life.

remember the Moto X and that amazing battery life reviewers got?

trust in Aaron from PhoneDog, AnandTech and GSMArena

For those doing Straight Talk. Lets say I currently have service with TMo but I want to use mostly ATT networks. Do I have to buy the TMo sim or ATT sim that Straight Talk offers? Will I still be able to access ATT networks if I choose the TMo sim option? I ask because my new workplace is a deadzone and only ATT or Verizon will work in the buliding.
AT&T SIM works on AT&T towers
T-Mobile SIM works on T-Mobile towers
no roaming on prepaid!

jey_16

Banned
it always takes a while to get a true perspective on battery life so i always take the reviews that come out first with a grain of salt

the HTC One which i currently have got had very negative battery life comments when it first came out and initially i thought the battery life was disappointing but after a few weeks i was averaging 4hrs+ screen time and considering the N5 has the same size battery with a better CPU and KitKat, i'm sure it will be fine

northead

it always takes a while to get a true perspective on battery life so i always take the reviews that come out first with a grain of salt

the HTC One which i currently have got had very negative battery life comments when it first came out and initially i thought the battery life was disappointing but after a few weeks i was averaging 4hrs+ screen time and considering the N5 has the same size battery with a better CPU and KitKat, i'm sure it will be fine

Being an owner of both I can absolutely confirm all of this.

jey_16

Banned
Being an owner of both I can absolutely confirm all of this.

Thoughts on the N5 vs the One? I'm hoping my N5 will ship soon so I can make my mind up on which one I'm going to keep, it feels crazy to buy the N5 when I'm completely happy with my One but I couldn't resist that stock KitKat!

lunchtoast

I have to change the way I put it in my pocket now because of the audio jack. I also charge in my car so I have a cable on the top and one on the bottom and it makes it hard to fit into the slot below my deck. All inputs should be together. Love how it's roughly the same size as a gnexus, just slimmer and more screen.

northead

Thoughts on the N5 vs the One? I'm hoping my N5 will ship soon so I can make my mind up on which one I'm going to keep, it feels crazy to buy the N5 when I'm completely happy with my One but I couldn't resist that stock KitKat!

As of now I gotta say I prefer the N5 pretty much in every aspect, apart from the BoomSound speakers (which I hardly ever used anyways).
I like the bigger screen better, I love the faster charging speed, the better camera, the lighter shell that still manages to feel premium, the anti-fingerprint back (pandaphone FTW) and most of all the beauty of stock 4.4.
Battery life is 5-10%, but I had no problems with the One in getting through a full day either.

Rootbeer

Banned
Still finding my way around android. I miss the screen rotation lock button on my iPhone pull-down menu, can i easily add something like that? how about quick buttons to open the Clock/timer and a flashlight?

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Someone give me a dope rectangular home screen sized Panda face or Stormtrooper face.

this_guy

I take back what I said about Hangouts being able to do group text messages. I thought it was working fine because I was receiving group messages, and I was responding back in the same thread. But the other people in the group weren't receiving my messages - it was coming put blank on their end. Going to use Handcent as my default SMS app until Google gets this sorted out.

lunchtoast

Still finding my way around android. I miss the screen rotation lock button on my iPhone pull-down menu, can i easily add something like that? how about quick buttons to open the Clock/timer and a flashlight?

I miss these, as well as being able to edit the icons in notification. Just waiting for the first major rom to release. There's probably an app or mod you can download to do this if you're interested in rooting. There is an app called power widgets or something where you can add your own widgets to the desktop.

Husker86

There are several flashlight widgets that let you put a button on your home screen. Probably widgets for rotation lock as well. Android comes with several clock widgets that when touched opens the clock/alarm/timer app.

cube444

So is there a consensus #1 case for the N5 that isn't too bulky? I've looked around and nothing really appeals to me other than the out of stock/overpriced Google ones.

Top Bottom