• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 5 |OT|

Rootbeer

Banned
i'm pretty unhappy right now

i got the sim card kit from tmobile in the mail and tried to transfer a previous number in the sign up process

well the transfer did not go through and now the activation code is "used up" according to what they told me on the phone so now I need another one and I can ONLY get it by going to a wal mart

there are no walmarts nearby

can gaf help me? do i have other options? the t-mobile rep was a real bitch

*edit* uhhh such a relief I don't have to travel 30 miles... my roomate also ordered a sim card from t-mobile but thankfully he was smarter than me... and ordered two :) so he gave me the extra

Marco1

I have the option to buy a galaxy S4 brand new for the same price as a N5. Would I be better to go with the s4 or N5?

Wag

I bought XtremeGuard screen protector ($2.20 front/back after coupon) and it's terrible, the back one was a waste of time and the front is loaded with tiny bubbles.

At XDAForums they pointed me to these, cheap ones. $1.99 for 6. I'll give it a shot.

cube444

I know it's so far off but was wondering with a buddy last night on who will make the Nexus 6.

We figured Motorola or Sony.

Thoughts?

northead

I know it's so far off but was wondering with a buddy last night on who will make the Nexus 6.

We figured Motorola or Sony.

Thoughts?

It would make sense for Google to make it produce by a company they own, to have a 100% Google phone.
We might even have a Moto X sequel that is pointed to the mass (just like the current X) and a "Nexus edition" of the same phone labeled as the N5's successor.

Who knows.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Is it possible that 802.11ac makes n connections faster? Cause I swear this thing is much faster to download things on Wi-Fi and I'm pretty sure the access points aren't ac.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
It's a lot easier to get the phone in the Neo Hybrid if you take the colored bumper off first. I wish the bumper was some sort metal instead of hard plastic, but otherwise I don't really have any complaints about the case.

Enco

Not really about the N5 but I bought a Ringke Fusion for my 5S and it's great. Back is a bit scratched up but after a crapload of time spent searching, I'm very happy with what I have.

It's cheap, light and works great.

RGM79

Never understood how anyone has a preference for headphone port location.

While listening to music, I just put my phone into my pocket upside-down so when I take it out I don't need to reorient the phone... And my last 3 phones have had top-mounted headphone jack. Are you guys wearing impossibly skinny pants with tiny pockets that can't fit both the phone and the headphone wire at the same time?

Still finding my way around android. I miss the screen rotation lock button on my iPhone pull-down menu, can i easily add something like that? how about quick buttons to open the Clock/timer and a flashlight?
Yep, they're called "quick settings", they're tile style toggle controls in the pull down notification menu.

Zeppu

Never understood how anyone has a preference for headphone port location.

While listening to music, I just put my phone into my pocket upside-down so when I take it out I don't need to reorient the phone... And my last 3 phones have had top-mounted headphone jack. Are you guys wearing impossibly skinny pants with tiny pockets that can't fit both the phone and the headphone wire at the same time?

Even when holding it in hand, jack at the bottom means the wire will get less in the way.

Haint

I bought XtremeGuard screen protector ($2.20 front/back after coupon) and it's terrible, the back one was a waste of time and the front is loaded with tiny bubbles.

At XDAForums they pointed me to these, cheap ones. $1.99 for 6. I'll give it a shot.

Have you ever used or installed screen protectors before? The bubbles are most likely dust or other micro particles that you didn't clean off, came off the cloth you used to wipe it, or settled from the air as you were installing it. You're going to have this problem with any protector, regardless of cost or quality.

Ty4on

Is it possible that 802.11ac makes n connections faster? Cause I swear this thing is much faster to download things on Wi-Fi and I'm pretty sure the access points aren't ac.

802.11ac gives you 5Ghz which not all 802.11n devices has. 5Ghz is AFAIK faster and because every cheap device uses 2.4Ghz you'll also be able to connect to busy connections because the 2.4Ghz band is full while the 5Ghz band usually isn't.

I got pretty much all of what I know from Anandtech's podcasts so I'm not 100% sure of the details :p

lunchtoast

Did my first work day, which usually involves listening to podcasts in airplane mode, and browsing 4g on my breaks over a 12 hour shift. Gnexus (w/ extended batt) would usually be 30-40%, N5 was above 70%.

Phone is slippery though, just slipped out of my hands, shit.

snack

Do you guys keep location access on the whole time? I left it off with my 4 because of the bad battery life. It ate my batt juice. :s

Joco

What's Google's return policy like? I like the phone but I'm starting to think I could make do with the Gnex for another year yet.

Doopliss

Anyone else noticed that the lowest brightness you can set in the kindle app is far brighter than the minimum system brightness you can set everywhere else? It's really annoying for reading at night.

BigFwoosh

Second "day" after a full charge, with 2.5 hours screen on time:

g98RtWv.jpg

Looks like this will be plenty good enough for my day to day usage.

Shambles

Wife was just browsing on her phone while it was plugged in and it was discharging faster than it was charging. Hopefully the 4.4 code gets cleaned up in the next few weeks. I also noticed that she turned the screen off while in the middle of the game and came back to a dead phone a couple hours later. It looks like the cpu/gpu wasn't put into suspend while the screen was off.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Nexus 5 with 3000 mAh battery for $100 more. Would you get it? I'm not sure I would, despite all the battery complaints I have.

Wag

Have you ever used or installed screen protectors before? The bubbles are most likely dust or other micro particles that you didn't clean off, came off the cloth you used to wipe it, or settled from the air as you were installing it. You're going to have this problem with any protector, regardless of cost or quality.

I don't think that was it. Most people using these over on the XDAForums were complaining of similar problems. I'll try the other ones and see how I do.

Shambles

How long is it taking people to charge theirs? After about 3 hours my phone is only at about 50%. Seems way slower than my N4

Shambles

Stock charger with the phone reporting as AC. I think i'll do a factory reset on it and see if something tweaks. Hadn't done anything too crazy with the phone. Just unlocked it when it came out of the box.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
What's the best method for root? Super?

Hydrargyrus

Second "day" after a full charge, with 2.5 hours screen on time:

g98RtWv.jpg

Looks like this will be plenty good enough for my day to day usage.

My first charge was fantastic, it took at least the same time as you to reach the 15% of the battery... but yesterday was another case.

I only had 16 hours of battery, using the phone even less, but there was something that discharged it. I suppose that is the "google play services" that are listed in the second place with more than 20% of usage... What could it be?

What should I do?, because I'm only interested in the gmail sync, but the other google services doesn't bother me at all.

NotBacon

Still finding my way around android. I miss the screen rotation lock button on my iPhone pull-down menu, can i easily add something like that? how about quick buttons to open the Clock/timer and a flashlight?

Doesn't 4.2+ have toggles when you swipe down from the top with two fingers? Anywho I use Notification Toggle to add that stuff cuz i'm on 4.1. I have toggles for wifi, brightness, flashlight, rotation, and gps, all in my pull-down. No root needed.

I take back what I said about Hangouts being able to do group text messages. I thought it was working fine because I was receiving group messages, and I was responding back in the same thread. But the other people in the group weren't receiving my messages - it was coming put blank on their end. Going to use Handcent as my default SMS app until Google gets this sorted out.

Why would you do this to yourself? I can maybe see it if you want endless features, but handcent is so bloated and ugly. These days I just use Textra or hellotext...

Anyone else noticed that the lowest brightness you can set in the kindle app is far brighter than the minimum system brightness you can set everywhere else? It's really annoying for reading at night.

EasyEyez

kitch9

Banned
Any sign of Whatsapp getting fixed under ART.

Its bloody typical there's always one big hurdle getting in the way of trying the next big thing.

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
Ive been thinking of getting a Nexus 5 but had two questions about it. Firstly, how are the apps for syncing up my iTunes library with the phone? Are they troublesome?

Also, (I'm in the UK), would it be possible to keep my number from my crappy pay as you go phone with a new provider (EE do not do this phone, IIRC)?

Sorry if they are dumb questions, I've barely given a damn about phones prior to now.

Moff

how about quick buttons to open the Clock/timer and a flashlight?

clock is included

and for flashlight I recommend TeslaLED, it includes a pretty widget that lets you activate and deactivate your light directly from the homescreen

Any sign of Whatsapp getting fixed under ART.

Its bloody typical there's always one big hurdle getting in the way of trying the next big thing.
ART is an experiment by Google so far, and is meant for developers. App makers shouldn't be held under any responsibility to make sure it doesn't break their apps.

Symphonia

Banned
Ive been thinking of getting a Nexus 5 but had two questions about it. Firstly, how are the apps for syncing up my iTunes library with the phone? Are they troublesome?
I don't think you can sync up your iTunes library with the Nexus 5, as far as apps go anyway. iPhones use the .IPA extension for their apps, while Android uses .APK.

Arjen

I'm having problems getting my SIM card to work. I had to cut my old one to micro format, and it doesn't seem to work. My Nexus says there's no SIM card. Am i missing something super obvious or should i just order a new one from my carrier?
Still works on my old phone btw, so i didn't damage the chip.

Knight77

So I bought Light Flow. Nice application and potentially very useful, the only problem is that it doesn't work 100% well: sometimes I got notification light and then when I unlock there is no notification, another time I got the notification light, there is the notification, I check it but when I turn off the screen I still get the notification light. The only way to make it stop is to enter the app (Light Flow) and go out again.

Any suggested settings?

Top Bottom