• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 5 |OT|

verbum

I'm having problems getting my SIM card to work. I had to cut my old one to micro format, and it doesn't seem to work. My Nexus says there's no SIM card. Am i missing something super obvious or should i just order a new one from my carrier?
Still works on my old phone btw, so i didn't damage the chip.

What carrier?

Is it turned upside down?

So I bought Light Flow. Nice application and potentially very useful, the only problem is that it doesn't work 100% well: sometimes I got notification light and then when I unlock there is no notification, another time I got the notification light, there is the notification, I check it but when I turn off the screen I still get the notification light. The only way to make it stop is to enter the app (Light Flow) and go out again.

Any suggested settings?

There have been some api changes in 4.4 which the developer is still trying to work around. He's released a few updates to the app since it hit and things have gotten better, hopefully he'll have them all sorted soon.

Groof

Second "day" after a full charge, with 2.5 hours screen on time:

g98RtWv.jpg

Looks like this will be plenty good enough for my day to day usage.

Ugh, they really need to update those system icons.
Nice battery life though.

Knight77

There have been some api changes in 4.4 which the developer is still trying to work around. He's released a few updates to the app since it hit and things have gotten better, hopefully he'll have them all sorted soon.

Let's hope that also Spotify fix his covers problem soon :)

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I'm more on about the SPIGEN cases. I've seen them mentioned on here a fair bit.

I have a Neo Hybrid and don't have any real complaints. Good fit, buttons work well, USB plug fits well, and it doesn't add too much to the size of the phone. The only thing I don't like is that the bumper is plastic, but that's pretty minor. It still looks pretty nice.

Hey guys,

my sister is living with her husband on an american base here in Germany. This means they can order stuff from american sites like amazon.com etc.

How can she order me a Nexus 5? She gets redirected to the german page. Use a proxy? Thanks for saving me some cash :D

BigFwoosh

My first charge was fantastic, it took at least the same time as you to reach the 15% of the battery... but yesterday was another case.

I only had 16 hours of battery, using the phone even less, but there was something that discharged it. I suppose that is the "google play services" that are listed in the second place with more than 20% of usage... What could it be?

What should I do?, because I'm only interested in the gmail sync, but the other google services doesn't bother me at all.

I noticed that Play Services was doing some weird battery draining in 4.3 on my G-Nex, but a reboot "fixed" it. It's probably just a bug in the Play Services that will be fixed eventually, but until then you kinda have to just watch out for the excessive battery drain.

Just as a note, Play Services handles a lot of functionality other than syncing, such as the fused location provider, Google Cloud Messaging (push notifications), and G+ app integration. It basically contains a lot of functionality that used to be handled by external libraries or the OS itself, only now it can be pushed out to any Android device, thus reducing software fragmentation a bit.

this_guy

Why would you do this to yourself? I can maybe see it if you want endless features, but handcent is so bloated and ugly. These days I just use Textra or hellotext...

Thanks for this. Tried both Textra and Hellotext, think I'm going to stick with Textra (at least until Google gets the bugs out of Hangouts for group text messaging)

I'm more on about the SPIGEN cases. I've seen them mentioned on here a fair bit.

Got my white Spigen slim case delivered this weekend, and I highly recommend it. Looks great, but slim and light enough for those that normally go case-less.

Kamek

When I talk on the phone lying down sideways, on my Gnex it was always fine, but on this phone my girl says she can't hear me.. :(

How long does it normally take developers to ship out updates for a new OS? It's been quite some time and I've yet to see any of my apps update for KitKat and Spotify is still bugged..

No fullscreen album art on Spotify makes me a sad panda.

PewPewK

Hey guys,

my sister is living with her husband on an american base here in Germany. This means they can order stuff from american sites like amazon.com etc.

How can she order me a Nexus 5? She gets redirected to the german page. Use a proxy? Thanks for saving me some cash :D

I just got a Chrome extension today called Hola that includes the ability to unblock the US store from Japan for myself. Should work for her as well, assuming she can install a Chrome extension.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Android Prism put up our review today. Fellow GAFer Kinggroin wrote the review. Check it out for more opinions as well as a bunch of camera samples!

If the Google experience is of highest priority when determining which smart phone to buy, you can’t find a better one than the Nexus 5. No other nexus product currently encompasses Google’s vision for its platform as well as this one. Couple that with a much faster SoC, improved camera, moderately improved battery life and a drop-dead gorgeous display, the Nexus 5 purchase is a no-brainer.

Rootbeer

Banned
Help, I cannot get service on my Nexus 5 most of the time compared to my N4. I really need service from T-mobile. -_-

I live in the bay area, which you'd think would be wired to the teeth. I can barely get reception in my apt and I live near a major university! I also have spotty coverage in the few days of tests i've done, only get LTE about 1/2 the time when out and about, rest of the time is "H" which i assume is HSPA or HSPA+. T-mobile.

Hoping it's just bad luck and i'll have better service over the next few days

this_guy

Anyone having problems with MMS on att APN? I am unable to send pictures with hangout or any SMS app.

I'm using AT&T Go Phone and MMS works fine. I've sent and receive both picture messages and group messages (group text messages is buggy on Hangouts so I use a third party app)

Cudder

When you guys set up your new phones, do you let Google automatically download all of your apps again or do you opt to just download them by yourself and start fresh?

cube444

When you guys set up your new phones, do you let Google automatically download all of your apps again or do you opt to just download them by yourself and start fresh?

Choose my own as I realize there's a few apps I never even used at all. I still go into "My Apps" to pick/remove what I want.

Hydrargyrus

I do it by myself. There are a lot of apps that doesn't interest me at all and I don't need them to take more space than necessary

SimleuqiR

Once you stop thinking about this phone, it performs exceptionally well.

In the past two days I've been too busy to think about battery life.

You can easily get 3 hours of screen time out of 20+ hours of use.

4-5 hours of on screen time with about 15-16 hours of use.

What do I mostly use this phone for?

• IM Messages
  • SMS messages
  • Emails, work and personal ( I have a total of 3 Gmail accounts synced - 2 G Apps one standard)
  • 40 minutes or so of streaming Google All Music Access on the daily commute (LTE + Bluetooth)
  • Some occasional mobile GAF browsing and Feedly reading.
  • Very little phone calls.

I think constantly pushing the phone to see how long it can last gives it a wrong impression on how you actually use it day to day.

dubq

Damn my work PC does not like my N5. Charges fine in an ac outlet or on USB via Macbook but I think the USB in my PC are low yield or something.. Just says "charging" but doesn't go up.

Zeppelin

I'm getting more and more frustrated with KitKat and some of the design decisions made for it. I'm also getting increasingly tired of Google wanting to shoehorn themselves into places where they don't belong. I think I'll have to flash some custom rom sooner rather than later.

Enco

You can easily get 3 hours of screen time out of 20+ hours of use.
As in 20+ hours of listening to music while the screen is off? Or 20+ hours of stand by?

3 hours of screen on time seems awful. Anything under 5 is pretty terrible in my eyes.

Thinking about getting my first smart phone. Been rocking a nokia 6300 for 5+ years. Not a heavy phone user, always used pay as you go.

Play poker for a living, poker halls usually have free wifi these days, would be nice to have some internet access during the downtime. Can be sitting in the same room for 10 hours sometimes. Nexus 5 good to go? Prob play music off it too.

Top Bottom