• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 5 |OT|

Pete Rock

Do the emoji only load through the Google Keyboard or can they be used with Swype/SwiftKey? Also are they seamless across iOS, or do they show up as little black boxes or corrupt symbols for them?

Husker86

Ok GAF, I always rooted any android device I had. Now I don't know if to do it or not... I mean rooting give you freedom to install mods and better tuned ROMs but on the other side I wouldn't like to meet any problem related to Google services and being unlocked, plus I hate when there is a system update but you need to wait some "cook" to work on the rom (since you cannot update)...

What to do?

Unlock the bootloader just in case you want to do something down the road. That's about as far as I go with my Nexus devices. Though I did put 4.4 on my Nexus 4 since it's not my main phone anymore and I just wanted to check it out.

I just realized today how much brighter this display is compared to my S3. Was playing some Combo Breaker when I just had to stop and go whoa.

My living area is pretty bright and I can see it very well at 19%.

Miutsu

Power Toggles?
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.painless.pc&hl=en

n2f6NnNmli2sCPyyobQdhMROeN_fnoR58tzyBhJxUzf9kul2TmNKw7-gyv7mvorOZJd5=h900-rw

Thanks a lot :D had a similar app but this works/looks so much better.

So i finally got to order a Nexus 5 to my sisters adress (American Forces here in Germany) but the order got cancelled because they can't send it here??

There was American Forces (AE) under the options. I don't get it.

Looks like i won't get one for cheap :/

Drensch

Just as an FYI, I have the spigen screen protectors. I'd very much recommend. They apply dry and went on easy, maybe the easiest of any I've done.

Arjen

Got my new sim card from my carrier today, works like a charm.
Battery life without sim card was 48 hours with 3 hours of screen time. 16% left now.

tomei

So i finally got to order a Nexus 5 to my sisters adress (American Forces here in Germany) but the order got cancelled because they can't send it here??

There was American Forces (AE) under the options. I don't get it.

Looks like i won't get one for cheap :/

I work overseas on an American base that uses apo ae. I tried ordering the nexus 4 with it with no success but I used an apo forwarder like apobox and shipitapo which worked.

Not too expensive and Google will ship to us address and then they mail to apo using usps. It worked for my nexus 4 and I am doing the same for the nexus 5. So that can be an option to buy cheaper from the states.

werks

Banned
Avoid the Spigen slim case available on amazon, It looks good, fits perfectly but leaves gouges on all four corners of the phone.

Hey, don't thank me. Thank the Power Toggles developer. The man does not charge a dime for one of the best utility apps Android has had for years. Go give the guy a good rating. :)

First thing I did after installing it.

Only complaint is the fixed icon in the status bar, wish there was a way to get rid of it. The transparent option still leaves a gap which looks weird.

That awkward moment when I posted it 2 pages ago....

Anywho, doesn't 4.2+ have toggles when you swipe down with two fingers?

Post of 2 days ago! Thanks. :p

2 finger swype is just not practical if you're using the phone with one hand.

What's the best guide for rooting a Nexus 5?

CF auto root.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2507211

Joco

Aaaaand I just realized I somehow managed to scratch my screen 5 days into owning this phone. Goddamn it.... I suppose I'm stuck with it now though.

Ok, I just want cellular reception on my N5 just to send/receive text and calls.

I believe I get Internet the same way on both N4 and N5, but cellular reception is different.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Anybody else have an issue with the lock button being extremely sensitive? I pull it out of my pocket and find the screen on because of it.

Maybe the bumper case would help? Or just make it worse...?

Opposite for me, the lock button is very stiff (but I like it (that's what she said.)) Dat ceramic. It does seem to stick out pretty far though, maybe that's your issue.

Kintaco

Anyone else have issues with voice search and saying "OK Google" not doing anything? I'm in the US so its set to US English, and it normally works but it almost seems like my mic is muted, so the phone doesn't hear me. This happened after listening to Pandora and closing the app. Its not the first time this has happened either. The other day there was no sound and my wife couldn't hear me when she called and the phone wouldn't ring only vibrate even after trying to raise the volume.

Hydrargyrus

Google play services is a super battery drainer!!!

Woooow. I've returned to the original settings and the battery improvement has been HUGE.

Google play services was taking more than 20% of the battery with no reason or usage (WTF??). Now I have to refresh manually the gmail, but the battery lasts more than double time.

Came from 16h to more than 30h

Btw, for what I've read, the "Ok google" comand, only works in th US phones...

Hydrargyrus

What do you mean with "original settings"?

Reboot the phone. I don't remember how is called, but it's an option to delete everything an return to the fabric settings.

After that I had been playing with the sync options and this things, the "google play services" was the second in the battery list, with more than 20% of usage.

Now, that I don't use none of this google sync & location, there are times that the "google play services" are not in the list, with only 2-3% of battery usage

Knight77

Reboot the phone. I don't remember how is called, but it's an option to delete everything an return to the fabric settings.

After that I had been playing with the sync options and this things, the "google play services" was the second in the battery list, with more than 20% of usage.

Now, that I don't use none of this google sync & location, there are times that the "google play services" are not in the list, with only 2-3% of battery usage

Ah ok you reset the phone and then stopped all sync and location services. Yes, you save in battery but well is like limit the use of the phone and his concept of use.

Hydrargyrus

Ah ok you reset the phone and then stopped all sync and location services. Yes, you save in battery but well is like limit the use of the phone and his concept of use.

Yeah, I konw, but I prefer to refresh everything manually when I look the phone or when I want to.

And the battery improvement is awesome

lunchtoast

Anyone having weird mobile data stats? I watched about 1/2 hour of netflix on LTE. The graph shows a spike but the netflix app is only showing 1.60mb.

So yeah.

I dropped my phone in the parking lot today and put a sizable scuff in the corner of it.

Which means it's time to tell Google about the dead pixels on my screen so that I can get a replacement phone.

(I'm not lying about the dead pixels, but I was going to hold off asking for a replacement for a while longer. But I'm a dope and dropped the damn thing, so it's time to get a new one!)

And it's also time to get a case or bumper of some sort, though I love the feeling of this thing naked.

Husker86

Anyone having weird mobile data stats? I watched about 1/2 hour of netflix on LTE. The graph shows a spike but the netflix app is only showing 1.60mb.

Try pulling the right "limit bar" on the graph more to the right.

I've noticed sometimes it cuts off usage that is very recent so I just always pull it all the way to the right of the graph.

Does doing CF-auto root break being able to get OTA updates?

No, you will get the updates, but might fail while installing. I had this issue with my N4 during the 4.3 update, had to unroot, update and root again.

I think I know the answer but does rooting void manufacturer's warranty?

Yes. But you can always unroot. I'm not sure if the bootloader can be reverted back to the locked state though.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
OK, so I finally have my white Nexus 5 in hand. Initial hardware impressions from a black N4 owner:

Man, this thing is a downgrade. The Nexus 4 has curves that are much nicer. It has a nice, rounded look to it. The N5 just feels abrupt. The plastic back is plastic, as opposed to glass. I prefer the N4's speaker placement, as well. It's sleek. I also don't like the camera on the back. I wish it were flush as opposed to protruding.

I suspect a lot of these impressions are just shock from change. I'll get back to you in a month or so. I won't get over the protruding camera lens, though.

Doopliss

Well somehow my build of CM11 has successfully compiled. I'm kinda surprised since I wasn't too sure I had all the sources set up right. I guess it's time to unlock my bootloader and see if it will actually run.

I like it more than the N4. Feels more secure in my hand, the plastic isn't cheap like samsung phones, screen feels enormous even though it's only .2" bigger, lighter and overall just feels better in my hand.

Camera doesn't bother me, slim case will negate the protruding feel for you.

I agree about the speakers though, placement is not good at all. My hand tends to cover them while using the phone in landscape mode, and they get muffled when I put the phone in my pocket.

The impressions of the official cases (both the bumper and the quick cover) on XDA are pretty scathing, so it looks like I better go with a third-party case instead of waiting for the first-party cases to finally come back in stock.

Did anyone here go for that Spigen neo-hybrid case?

Cudder

The impressions of the official cases (both the bumper and the quick cover) on XDA are pretty scathing, so it looks like I better go with a third-party case instead of waiting for the first-party cases to finally come back in stock.

Did anyone here go for that Spigen neo-hybrid case?

It's the one im interested in. People say good and bad things about it on XDA. Personally I just threw it on my Christmas list.

The camera section cuts the deepest...so much more could've been done with this unit

Image quality wise I'm pretty happy, it's good enough for me. But at the moment there are a few issues that need fixing, and I'm sure they will be in 4.4.1, but even then your left with camera software which is so basic there's not a hell of a lot you can do with it anyway. :-/

I think Geek.com were pretty harsh on the camera as well: http://www.geek.com/review/review-google-nexus-5-1576778/

Bertram man, I thought we were naked buddies? You are giving me doubts now. Since this is my first smart phone, I'm basically treating my phone like I'm carrying an egg in my pocket. It's like parents with their first child, they freak out when it get's a scratch, by the 2nd or 3rd child, they let them juggle knives and shit. I'm sure I'll be like that once it gets a little scruffed up.

Top Bottom