• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 5 |OT|

Thinking about getting my first smart phone. Been rocking a nokia 6300 for 5+ years. Not a heavy phone user, always used pay as you go.

Play poker for a living, poker halls usually have free wifi these days, would be nice to have some internet access during the downtime. Can be sitting in the same room for 10 hours sometimes. Nexus 5 good to go? Prob play music off it too.

Latest ver of Android 4.4, beautiful screen great build quality, not to mention a Snapdragon S800 CPU one of the fastest out at the moment. Seems to be a great option and then you are pay as you go so this phone unlocked starts at $349 which is an amazing price. I'll say go for it if you would like to see what a smartphone has to offer. Would highly recommend looking at review videos of the device and maybe software walk throughs to help you with the OS.

in the UK so it's £330 *grumble grumble* but still thats like £100 less than an HTC one. But I'm definitely leaning towards the Nexus.

BigFwoosh

Like other people have reported, Google Play Services has been eating up my battery today. Just looking at the chart it's obvious the phone has been awake a ton more today when I haven't been using it. Hopefully a reboot will improve things.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Idle power use is insane. ~18 hours off charger from 100%, down to 80%.

(Haven't used it all day cause my Straight Talk SIM won't be here until tomorrow, and I left it off the charger to see what the power drain would be. So far, looks great!)

Husker86

(Haven't used it all day cause my Straight Talk SIM won't be here until tomorrow, and I left it off the charger to see what the power drain would be. So far, looks great!)

So that's without a SIM? Cellular network is a huge drain so I wouldn't get too excited yet.

3 hours of screen on time seems awful. Anything under 5 is pretty terrible in my eyes.

This made me giggle.

5+ hours screen time on in the current era of smartphones is still the exception, not the norm.

So that's without a SIM? Cellular network is a huge drain so I wouldn't get too excited yet.

Having had the phone for a week, I can say that even on cellular stand by is excellent.

Once you stop thinking about this phone, it performs exceptionally well.

In the past two days I've been too busy to think about battery life.

You can easily get 3 hours of screen time out of 20+ hours of use.

4-5 hours of on screen time with about 15-16 hours of use.

What do I mostly use this phone for?

I think constantly pushing the phone to see how long it can last gives it a wrong impression on how you actually use it day to day.

Most definitely not what I am getting.

The other day I got just a bit over 2 hours with nothing cpu intensive (the craziest thing I did was use maps for about 20 minutes).

Right now I'm at 55% with 1 hr 4min of screen time and 12 hours off of the charger. Surprisingly whats taking up more battery is Spotify with about 3 hours on my commute.

Still pretty terrible as I got around the same stats with my old gnex. In a year, after 365 battery cycles, this battery is going to lick booty hole.

tomei

For battery issues get wakelock detector to see what is causing your phone to be awake. Next get greenify to auto hibernate apps that are draining your batteries.

The donate/paid version will allow you to hibernate system apps and let gcm apps be able to still push notifications. Best app ever for battery life.

SimleuqiR

Most definitely not what I am getting.

The other day I got just a bit over 2 hours with nothing cpu intensive (the craziest thing I did was use maps for about 20 minutes).

Right now I'm at 55% with 1 hr 4min of screen time and 12 hours off of the charger. Surprisingly whats taking up more battery is Spotify with about 3 hours on my commute.

Still pretty terrible as I got around the same stats with my old gnex. In a year, after 365 battery cycles, this battery is going to lick booty hole.

16mn9B9.jpg

Mostly browsing GAF and reading Feedly.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
3 hours of screen on time seems awful. Anything under 5 is pretty terrible in my eyes.
Awful? Yes. But it is the norm. What phones effortlessly get 5+ hours of on screen time?

I managed to get just under 5 hours of screen time today. Pretty light use, mostly browsing GAF/Flipboard, but I watched a bunch of Youtube videos for a while and popped into Arcane Legends for a bit.

Works for me.

Today before charging:
1day 13hrs 20 min
18%
2hr13 min screen time

Full GPS on always
Bluetooth always on
WIfi always on

Including 1 hour biking 14 miles with mapmyride

Given my use (browsing while out and about, excercise, checking mail at lunch) I'm very satisfied with the device. Running ART

My battery life has been HORRIBLE. I consistently get less than 9 hours on a charge, with very light use. It won't even last overnight on a full charge.

I factory wiped last night, hoping that'd fix my problem. No such luck.

I was going to try Wakelock Detector, but it doesn't support KitKat at the moment.

Anyone else's dialer all of a sudden stop providing nearby place suggestions? I have the setting turned on, high accuracy, location services on. It used to work when I first got the phone... Already tried clearing dialer data and cache too.

On wifi I got standby time of 3 days.

For battery issues get wakelock detector to see what is causing your phone to be awake. Next get greenify to auto hibernate apps that are draining your batteries.

Wakelock detector doesn't work with Kitkat.

Deliverance

Neo Member
terrific... considering the holiday I will get it back December 1st.. damn it all.

Don't worry. I bought one on November 9th (I'm from Spain, though). It was supposed to leave the warehouse by the 22nd, but yesterday I received an e-mail telling me that it's on its way. There is hope!

By the way, which case are you choosing for the white model? I'm thinking of the getting that transparent one, but I don't know which color to get (gray or black borders?! I DON'T KNOOOOW).

I'm so excited.

Is there a way to increase the speed at which ok google launches apps?

For instance, if I say "Ok google, launch gmail", I want it to launch gmail asap instead of taking 3 seconds and showing the progress bar.

Rootbeer

Banned
Slowly getting things to where I'm satisfied. Once I bought HD Widgets I'm mostly happy now that I can set buttons to toggle/launch some common settings.

Still wish I could find an easy way to add them to the pull-down menu though, i'd prefer that. Open to suggestions.

Wallpaper is in flux. Kinda like how it looks though.

tomei

If wakelock detector is not compatible with kit kat use better battery stats beta on the xda forums. Its harder to understand but does the same thing.

The most important app is greenify but needs root. It tells you which apps are awake and how many wakeups so you hibernate the main offenders.

Husker86

My 5S.

I get up to 8 hours and never less than 5.
I have a 5s and it does not get 5-8 hours of screen on time. The usage stat in settings counts even if you're listening to music with the screen off as well as other things that happen when the screen is off so it's not a good indicator for screen on time. My 5s has about the same battery as my GS4 if I'm using them regularly, but it does have better standby battery life.

I've had my nexus 5 for about a week now and as an ex iPhone user, I'm absolutely loving the experience however I'm having a tough time finding a decent pair of earbuds for the phone.

I currently have a Klipsch S4ii with mic and it works great on my iPhone however doesn't support android for playback controls and mic.
There is an android version it there that i have considered buying but thought I'd look around to see if there's anything else out there but nothing seems to stand out...

Do you guys know a great pair of android compatible earbuds? how about a Bluetooth pair?

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
My 5S.

The thing about Android GAF is that a bunch of us still regularly use iOS devices. I've never seen an iPhone get 8 hours of screen time. Gets the same as my Android devices, maybe slightly better.

I have definitely seen better standby on my ios devices though. I've been known to not ever charge my iPad and iPod for weeks lol. I never use them. They however aren't phones.

My 5S.

No you don't.

iOS's usage statistic (in Settings) includes audio playback and other activity (phone calls) even when the screen is off.

There's no way to see how much of that is screen-on time, but it's definitely not ALL screen-on time. Trust me.

Having trouble picking out a case for this, the ones I've seen so far all seem to have their own issues ranging from minor to unusable. Anybody here using a case they really like? I love the feel of this phone caseless but need something I won't be scared to drop.

Enco

The thing about Android GAF is that a bunch of us still regularly use iOS devices. I've never seen an iPhone get 8 hours of screen time. Gets the same as my Android devices, maybe slightly better.
Maybe my timer was off.

Played with the N5 in store today. Pretty cool phone indeed. If I didn't have the 5S this would definitely be my pick.

this_guy

Maybe my timer was off.

Played with the N5 in store today. Pretty cool phone indeed. If I didn't have the 5S this would definitely be my pick.

As already has been stated, that doesn't show your on screen time. You can play music for 8 hours on Android with the screen off, and on Android it'll show on screen time of 0, where iOS shows 8 hours of usage.

Knight77

Ok GAF, I always rooted any android device I had. Now I don't know if to do it or not... I mean rooting give you freedom to install mods and better tuned ROMs but on the other side I wouldn't like to meet any problem related to Google services and being unlocked, plus I hate when there is a system update but you need to wait some "cook" to work on the rom (since you cannot update)...

What to do?

Top Bottom