• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 5 |OT|

So yeah.

I dropped my phone in the parking lot today and put a sizable scuff in the corner of it.

Which means it's time to tell Google about the dead pixels on my screen so that I can get a replacement phone.

(I'm not lying about the dead pixels, but I was going to hold off asking for a replacement for a while longer. But I'm a dope and dropped the damn thing, so it's time to get a new one!)

And it's also time to get a case or bumper of some sort, though I love the feeling of this thing naked.
the ringke slim comes in a black matte version. The feel of the case is nearly identical to the phone. Its great.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00EPLTC1I/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Tenacious-V

Thinks his PR is better than yours.

BSsBrolly

Banned
Download an app called Zedge, has tons of full hd wallpapers that you can download to the phone. Lots of good ones there.

You can set the wallpapers from the app, or if you do it manually from the home screen you can position it however you like.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.zedge.android

Sweet, I'll try that. Thanks!

Did it tell you when it shipped or did it just show up?

Just showed up, I had no clue and didn't even see it. I probably would have left it on the porch all night if my girlfriend hadn't seen it..

Screenshot_2013-11-14-14-32-28.png

Everytime I boot the phone, the wallpaper looks like this. It fixes itself as soon as I unlock the device.

Anyone else having a similar issue?

mturco

Yes, tried different wallpapers too, same result.

I'm assuming it's the use of ART runtime.

EDIT: Hmm, don't seem to have this problem while using a live wallpaper. So it's only with static ones. Weird shit.

I'm using ART too though. You could try factory resetting your phone... not sure if you consider that worth it.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Stock android and Google optimizations folks.
LOL. Yeah, seriously. "Don't worry, guys! Google will optimize the shit out of 2300 mah!" I'll be getting a Nexus 5 2014 at this rate. If only I had a phone that satiated me for over a year. It could have been this Nexus or last year's but the battery and camera are killer.

Speaking of the camera app... people are already hard at work to bring out the true potential of the N5's camera: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2516061

Interesting.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
AJ don't be frontin', we all know you never actually get the phones you say you will. You're the worst poster on NeoGAF about that kind of thing.
zWVbK.gif

I think my Nexus screen just blew up on me. Everythings white washed and it won't respond to touch input anymore. Rebooting it didn't do anything.

Fak.

So in the last thread I asked a question about batteries. I have never owned a phone that had an integrated battery that couldn't be replaced and this concerned me.

My Bionic and my wife's Charge are both great Android phones, but every 9 months or so we swap out the batteries to brand new extended batteries (2700 or 3500).

The change is immediately noticeable, with battery life almost doubling. I've also guided other friends to swapping out their batteries. In one case a friend had a 18 month old phone and the battery life more than tripled on replacement.

In the last thread a few people tried claiming that modern batteries don't degrade. I did some research and can't find anything to substantiate this.

Can someone verify this, or was this just an example of fangirls claiming anything to defend their favorite brand?

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
AJ don't be frontin', we all know you never actually get the phones you say you will. You're the worst poster on NeoGAF about that kind of thing.
zWVbK.gif
I'm the anti Andrex. I say I won't get something but I always do. I am weak :(

LOL. Yeah, seriously. "Don't worry, guys! Google will optimize the shit out of 2300 mah!" I'll be getting a Nexus 5 2014 at this rate. If only I had a phone that satiated me for over a year. It could have been this Nexus or last year's but the battery and camera are killer.
think about it man, over 3/4 of the battery, but 1/2 of the video playback and 1/2 of the web browsing?

LG did a better job of battery optimization than Google.

LG.

Mayyhem

So I've been a long-time Blackberry user (I know, I know) and jumping ship. I'm very interested in Android however I'm a newbie and a little overwhelmed by everything I'm hearing you can do (da fuq is rooting, etc). I've been researching phones for a little while now and I just cant find a better value phone than the Nexus 5. On top of value, it actually looks appealing to me in many different ways.

Do you guys think it would be a good phone for a first-time Android user? Any warnings? Tips? etc

Thanks a bunch!

For those who bought the Spigen Ultra Hybrid, is the screen protector any good? Are there any screen protectors you guys suggest?

I've been using Zagg for years for my iPhone but I don't know if they have better ones now.

jey_16

Banned
Cancelled my order, just came to the conclusion that there wasn't enough of a jump over my one to justify an purchase.

I'll probably root my one and play around with some custom roms until next years flagships come out

terrier

So I've been a long-time Blackberry user (I know, I know) and jumping ship. I'm very interested in Android however I'm a newbie and a little overwhelmed by everything I'm hearing you can do (da fuq is rooting, etc). I've been researching phones for a little while now and I just cant find a better value phone than the Nexus 5. On top of value, it actually looks appealing to me in many different ways.

Do you guys think it would be a good phone for a first-time Android user? Any warnings? Tips? etc

Thanks a bunch!

I think it is a wise choice: powerful, great price and stock android, which is quite simple: that will help you feel comfortable from day one, unlike other manufacturers and their sometimes heavy/busy launchers. The only thing i really miss on my N5 is the FM radio and a fix for the email client that is causing issues right now for me with exchange corporate mail

Protome

Just dropped my white Nexus 5 for the first time at the bus stop today.
Got a tiny little bash on the bottom but it held up fine otherwise! I'm impressed considering my Nexus 4 once landed almost exactly the same way on a similar surface but the whole screen shattered from it...

I should probably invest in a bumper. Any good ones yet?

My first battery test. ART runtime, WiFi, 1 hour of videos, 1 hour on chrome, 2 hours on hangouts and rest on ebay & play store.

Now while I have achieved 4.5 hours on my N4 with similar usage, the total battery life had been under 15 hours. With the N5, total life was 1 day 6 hours.

Will do some more tests with 4G later.

Deliverance

Neo Member
Oh well... Just received my white Nexus 5. After a while playing with it I've noticed five black spots on the screen. I'm always extremely unlucky with this kind of things, I guess.

Rootbeer

Banned
So yeah, just peeled the IMEI sticker off the back of my N5... thought it was permanent till the letters started to rub off :p Why didn't I do this earlier >.< bleh!

Good thing the # is saved inside the phone itself too. But I'll put the sticker in safe place. Can still read the numbers :p

Can't believe how caught up in the battery wars some people get that it alone would make or break a purchasing choice. Those Ankers the size of a roll of quarters are so cheap and portable, stick it in your day bag, purse, whatever, I find this perfectly acceptable

this_guy

IMEI can be found on the box, in the settings under 'About Phone', and in the Dialer by pressing *#06# (this is for all GSM phones). And also on the little sticker on the back of the phone for those that haven't removed it.

SimleuqiR

Yes, as I found out when I posted my box here, lol. Had to blur them out.

Since the Galaxy Nexus I've taken photos of the box sticker with all the info and saved it on to Drive for safe keeping. This way if i want I can get rid of the box and not worry about losing that information.

Doopliss

IMEI can be found on the box, in the settings under 'About Phone', and in the Dialer by pressing *#06# (this is for all GSM phones). And also on the little sticker on the back of the phone for those that haven't removed it.
No love for the IMEI printed on the SIM tray?

Shambles

Keeping the box helps with resale value down the road. Don't ask me why people care about a box when they're buying a used phone but they do. *shrug*

SimleuqiR

But all of that information is in the phone.

I could always misplace or lose the phone. :shrug:

I've picked up the habit of doing this for all my electronics, not just my phones. I just don't like flipping over things like receivers just to look at a serial #.

Tenacious-V

Thinks his PR is better than yours.
Hey guys

interested to know if anyone's tried these cases:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00FEBTW6S/?tag=neogaf0e-20

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00FZ14E3S/?tag=neogaf0e-20

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00FOW4KNC/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Any feedback for them would be greatly appreciated

Thanks!

Couldn't find anything on the i-Blason, but here are some Nexus 5 reviews for the other 2. These guys seem to rate them pretty highly.

Caseology Reviews:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DTN8q8PQ0NE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Uri2SQitFU

Diztronic Review:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p53fXwOOQI4

I'm more for minimalism or naked if possible. I love the back of the black Nexus 5, but finger prints and oil marks show up so easily. So I ordered a white Ringke Slim.

Shambles

Bah. Sister left the country before her N5 arrived so now I'm here stuck trying to sell it in a kijiji flooded with disappointed flippers.

What's the general consensus on the best case for drop protection? Most of these things look like useless hard plastic that won't do a thing if dropped from hip height. I'm thinking some sort of nice thick foam/rubber bumper would be great. I see several companies are adding a stupid transparent fingerprint magnet back to their bumpers. Why on earth would you want that?

cube444

OK, so I finally have my white Nexus 5 in hand. Initial hardware impressions from a black N4 owner:

Man, this thing is a downgrade. The Nexus 4 has curves that are much nicer. It has a nice, rounded look to it. The N5 just feels abrupt. The plastic back is plastic, as opposed to glass. I prefer the N4's speaker placement, as well. It's sleek. I also don't like the camera on the back. I wish it were flush as opposed to protruding.

I suspect a lot of these impressions are just shock from change. I'll get back to you in a month or so. I won't get over the protruding camera lens, though.

People differ. I don't miss my N4 in the least. :lol

Bboy AJ

LOL at all the flippers getting owned. So glad to see that. I hope people are able to pick it up from scalpers for less than they would have paid at the Play Store.

Couldn't find anything on the i-Blason, but here are some Nexus 5 reviews for the other 2. These guys seem to rate them pretty highly.

Caseology Reviews:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DTN8q8PQ0NE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Uri2SQitFU

Diztronic Review:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p53fXwOOQI4

I'm more for minimalism or naked if possible. I love the back of the black Nexus 5, but finger prints and oil marks show up so easily. So I ordered a white Ringke Slim.

Thanks for your quick response! I'm definitely leaning more towards the Diztronic at this point. I actually have a ballistic case for my phone right now, and I'd like a case that can take an accidental drop or two.

Good god my case needs to arrive. Shit takes forever.

Also I still stand solid that the white version is the best version, for me.

Honestly, coming from a GS3 every phone looks good. Samsung designs some of the ugliest shit.

AJ, why did you buy the phone? lol

Bboy AJ

AJ, why did you buy the phone? lol

It's a nice phone and I'm happy with it. Especially the white one. If I had less money, I wouldn't have upgraded from my N4 and I'd be perfectly content. The N5 is just not what it could have been. I suspect I'll buy the 2014 version, too.

Remyzero

Thanks for your quick response! I'm definitely leaning more towards the Diztronic at this point. I actually have a ballistic case for my phone right now, and I'd like a case that can take an accidental drop or two.

I have the Diztronic case. I like that it covers a little of the glass screen. It doesn't go over the display area, but it blocks the corners and the black edges of the screen. If you lay the phone on the table face down, it'll grip the table and won't slide around. I'm pretty happy with the case for the price I payed.

Top Bottom