• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 5 |OT|

kinggroin

Banned
It's a nice phone and I'm happy with it. Especially the white one. If I had less money, I wouldn't have upgraded from my N4 and I'd be perfectly content. The N5 is just not what it could have been. I suspect I'll buy the 2014 version, too.

Exactly my feelings

lunchtoast

I got the Caseology one like the video above, except in white. The back has a leather look, but is still hard and bumpy in texture. Like in the video, both volume and power button cuts are the same size. I was hoping they would be different so I could feel in my pocket which is which. It's also hard to hit the buttons because the case sticks out. It's fine if your hand is under the phone, but hitting it from the top is hard.

Here you can see the texture

yX5poJV.jpg

Its3o6n.jpg

Wag

N/M I think I'm figuring it out. This is my first experience with a smartphone, so excuse the dumb questions. I just ordered a $30 T-Mobile Unlimited Data Plan card off Walmart and hopefully that should be what I need to get things going.

Kintaco

For those who bought the Spigen Ultra Hybrid, is the screen protector any good? Are there any screen protectors you guys suggest?

I've been using Zagg for years for my iPhone but I don't know if they have better ones now.
I have the Ultra Hybrid and I really Like the screen protector. Its fairly rigid and doesn't use the solution to apply. Too bad I really botched the install and got a ton of dust under it.

Is anyone else having battery life this bad? I web surfed for less than an hour, and received one phone call. That's it.

K0ORTCt.jpg

Play services is keeping your phone awake, go into advanced Wifi settings, turn off 'scanning always available'. You can also turn off 'Google Location Repirting' in the Location settings.

Maiar_m

So yeah, I've had it for a week and a half.

Like the N4, it's a great phone because of its price. This is a cheap device that runs very very smoothly and can do anything you throw at it. It's a nice-looking piece of hardware in my opinion, and this time around the material actually makes sense. The smooth black coating on the device's back is very nice, easy to clean and seems durable.

Looking back on last year's Nexus, it seems to me that the 2013 version marks a solid step in the right direction, as far as hardware design is concerned. The screen is bigger but not enormous. This is still a phone, it is still pocketable. The thinness is perfect, and the device's general size is right where I think it's acceptable to be. A bit large, but not too large. However, what's been successful in that department and the greatness that's only relative to the price can't quite make up for the phone's obvious shortcomings.

Battery life is not good. I can get 44h of battery life with only 2h30 of screen time, and that's considering I use Wi-fi most of the day and work from home. In my opinion, this is still abysmal. There are lower results out there, some even from the N5's direct competitors, but that's really no excuse. I should be able to get two days' use, with commuting and far longer screen time.

The screen isn't perfect. I like its size and ratio, but I think it's a little "pink", washed out and with relatively poor viewing angles. Again, in light of the phone's price, this is in no way a deal breaker for me. It is however a definite step down from some of the competition's results and should be acknowledged as such.

Hangouts as a hub for texts and IM isn't such a great idea for me. I don't use the two messaging systems in the same way. Even if I did, I don't think the way it's been done here makes much sense. Why are IM and texts not part of the same conversation? Why do some of my contacts have their picture show up in the convo when some other don't (even though those also have their profile picture set up)? I think the app needs work. I shouldn't have to chose "where" I want to send the message, that's the point of a unified interface. The software should send and IM when the reciever is connected and available through the IM service, and it should send a text when it's not the case / not an Android phone. Basically, it should be iMessage for Android. Also, texts should be synched with Hangouts on desktop.

As far as the rest of KitKat is concerned, I didn't find anything that was worth of note. Sure, the new launcher is nice enough...but I run Launcher and I still think the default android launcher isn't subtle enough. Google Now still has that really really annoying American-only feel to it which I don't think is justified. You can't even follow your national football team results, and that's plain sad.

Ultimately though, this is a really nice phone at an even better price. The battery issue is the only thing that makes cringe about it, the rest is not only acceptable, it's pretty fair all things considered. I would buy it again in a heartbeat.

I'd do a factory reset. Bit of a pain to re-setup your apps but battery life can improve after.

I've done two factory resets since I've gotten the phone. Hasn't helped, unfortunately.

I installed BetterBatteryStats last night (the version updated for KitKat) and it seems my problem might be WiFi related.

GrapeApes

Anyone having issues with MMS? Hasn't been working for since last night. I don't remember if it was before or after the Hangouts update.

So far I'm not very satisfied with my battery life. I can get 3 to 3 1/2 hours of Screentime out of the phone. With Auto Brightness, Sync on and just Whats App in the background.

I thought I can get a minimum of 4 hours out of it.

One problem is that Chrome is draining the battery very much. The phone is also getting really warm while using Chrome. But Dolphin still isn't working on the N5. The zoom won't still work. So I need to use Chrome.

Hopefully it gets better. If not I think I'm gonna sell it and get the G2 instead. I love the Stock Android, but in the end the battery life is more important to me.

kitch9

Banned
Any tips for not taking blurry ass pictures? I can't take photos of my babies as they won't still still and the phone insists on using a slow ass shutter speed.

So I ordered a White 32GB this morning and the product page was saying it would ship before the 26th, but I just got an email that says it shipped already. So, if you want one, seems like you can get that one. The other three options don't give a date and just say either 2-3 or 3-4 weeks.

Cipherr

oh wow, those are kinda low compared to the G2...

Kinda? Its very disappointing. Thats mediocre to sub mediocre TBH.

LOL. Yeah, seriously. "Don't worry, guys! Google will optimize the shit out of 2300 mah!"

Yep after seeing GSM results you were right if you called that. I figured it would do better but thats just a bad score. And unlike Verge, GSM is consistent. So it seems everything most said about the battery was right. Its mediocre to bad in comparison to monsters like the LG G2 and Note III.

Wag

OK, I got my phone all set up on T-Mobile's $30 Unlimited data plan. Now someone give me a good place on where to start as far as good apps and such for the beginner.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
So with the Google Voice "hack" for Hangouts I think I've got a petty good setup. Just had to add all the "Google Voice Redirector" numbers for people's SMS's as such in my contacts.

Really wish it was native though, since right now I have to still send a text from the GVoice app if I don't have their redirector number yet. Plus having additional numbers for people's contact entries is kinda lame.

I just want my texts to say they're coming from my GVoice number, and for all texts to sync across all instances of Hangouts. Going back to device-dependent SMS after years of Google Voice feels like going back to the stone age.

Rootbeer

Banned
Pocket Casts keeps getting removed from the folder I put it in and I don't know why

Seems random but it might be happening after I reboot my phone

Anything like this happen to you guys? o_O

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Pocket Casts keeps getting removed from the folder I put it in and I don't know why

Seems random but it might be happening after I reboot my phone

Anything like this happen to you guys? o_O

Sometimes when an app updates the launcher activity changes which wipes out any shortcuts to it on the home screen. How often is this happening?

Rootbeer

Banned
Sometimes when an app updates the launcher activity changes which wipes out any shortcuts to it on the home screen. How often is this happening?

Well it did update at least once, maybe twice since I first installed it. That could explain it. We'll see if it happens again >.<

Alpha_eX

My friend is wondering if he should get this or a Galaxy S4? Any ideas?

I'm returnng the Nexus 5 to get the Galaxy S4, KitKat feels far too plain in comparison. The default dailer and contacts are awful. I also miss better voice stuff found in TouchWiz, I enjoy telling my alarm to shut up and it turns off without me touching or even knowing where the device is.

tzare

Is there a way to enable burst mode for the camera? Or it is just missing? My daughters never stop moving and pics are always blurred :-

Tenacious-V

Thinks his PR is better than yours.
So a bit of personal anecdotal info here.

I was getting roughly a 12 - 14 hour average per charge with 3 - 4 hours on screen time at 20%. I used LTE only, about half an hour of PvZ2 each charge, sync on (all Google services except auto upload pictures to G+), and location set to battery saving. This was from full charge to 1%.

I decided to switch back from ART to Dalvik to see the speed differences. They're noticeable but extremely minimal. But I'm sticking with Dalvik though, until ART is fine tuned.

Reason for this is, for the past 2 days I've been getting 16 - 17 hours per charge, with 4 - 5 hours screen time. With everything else being equal.

I had no problems getting through the day before, and that's all I needed. But if I forget to toss it on the charger at night now, it will still be chugging the next morning instead of doomed.

So for those of you running ART like I've been since day 2, you might want to switch back to Dalvik and see if it improves anything for you.

GatorBait

I deleted mine to try out Google Voice as a visual solution, which I found out doesn't work on prepaid plans.

You need to have "conditional call forwarding" as a part of your plan. Not sure if you can get it as an add-on with a T-mobile prepaid plan. AT&T offers it for free on their prepaid plans (thank god, because I love the Google Voice integration with the stock dialer).

Top Bottom