• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 5 |OT|

this_guy

So I've had the phone for about 10 days now, and I like it, but I don't think I'm going to keep it. Battery life can get me through the day but it's not great battery life, and the camera is capable of taking great pics at times but I feel it's a downgrade from the Nokia Lumia 920 I had. Actually, the best shots from the Nexus 5 camera are about on par with the best shots from the Lumia 920, but it's easier to get those shots from the Lumia. The Nexus sometimes has issues with focusing. I was hoping for an upgrade from at least one of those two areas.

Other than that, the performance is super fast and I haven't seen hiccups anywhere (I also have ART enabled instead of Dalvik).

So T-Mobile marked their visual voicemail app as incompatible with the Nexus 5. I deleted mine to try out Google Voice as a visual solution, which I found out doesn't work on prepaid plans. Now I can't re-download it. So no visual voicemail at all. This is the first time I've had to manually manage voicemail since 2008. I have to use minutes to call in.

This $30 plan is looking less and less good. Also, data doesn't work at all when I'm in 2G areas. Of which there are many. Thankfully it's prepaid and I got the SIM kit for free. I'll probably figure something else out for next month.

Call T-Mobile's customer service and tell them to disable your T-Mo voicemail. Google Voice will then work fine.

No Love

Banned
So T-Mobile marked their visual voicemail app as incompatible with the Nexus 5. I deleted mine to try out Google Voice as a visual solution, which I found out doesn't work on prepaid plans. Now I can't re-download it. So no visual voicemail at all. This is the first time I've had to manually manage voicemail since 2008. I have to use minutes to call in.

This $30 plan is looking less and less good. Also, data doesn't work at all when I'm in 2G areas. Of which there are many. Thankfully it's prepaid and I got the SIM kit for free. I'll probably figure something else out for next month.

Just get Straight Talk. It kicks ass.

teiresias

Are you forwarding from your phone's number to a Google voice number? If so, would you have the same issue if people were calling your Google voice number and being forwarded to your phone instead (so that Google is first in line essentially)?

did google ever say why there's no verizon model?

call (800) 837-4966 and ask why the Nexus 5 isn't on Verizon.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?p=47500076#post47500076

Blades64

Banned
Just ordered the White 32GB model! Got the mail confirmation. Very excited! :)

Does anyone know how to purchase the N5 from outside of the US or any of the supported countries?

I had my dad, who lives in the States currently, order it for me, and have him ship it to a friend of mine who will be visiting Belize in December.

There are other work arounds so that you can order on Google Play, but you must have a valid address in the US that you can have items shipped.

Hey fellas, I ordered my 32G Black on the 3rd and I just got a pending charge on my credit card account although it is still set to ship by 11/26 on the Google Play Store. Should I expect it to ship soon?

Weird problem I can't connect the N5 to my computer via usb cable. It only works in PTP mode, does not work in MTP mode. :(

I remember having a similar issue with the N4 some time ago but can't remember how I fixed it.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Weird problem I can't connect the N5 to my computer via usb cable. It only works in PTP mode, does not work in MTP mode. :(

I remember having a similar issue with the N4 some time ago but can't remember how I fixed it.

Any advice would be appreciated.

You may have adb drivers installed. Look in device manager to see what it is showing up as. Right click and uninstall the drivers, then try reconnecting and it should install the default drivers for it.

Tenacious-V

Thinks his PR is better than yours.
Franco at XDA is already kicking ass with early progress on his modded Nexus 5 kernel. Give it another month and it will easily be the one to use. It's amazing now, but a little bit of extra fine tuning and stability and it will be the perfect daily driver.

Google, take some notes.

15 hours, 5 hours on screen time, 20% battery remaining.

05QMIYT.jpg

8VglXRA.png

aYOxsYg.png

post-26056-Antonio-Banderas-computer-reac-cWjn.gif

yyzjohn

Banned
Franco at XDA is already kicking ass with early progress on his modded Nexus 5 kernel. Give it another month and it will easily be the one to use. It's amazing now, but a little bit of extra fine tuning and stability and it will be the perfect daily driver.

Google, take some notes.

15 hours, 5 hours on screen time, 20% battery remaining.

post-26056-Antonio-Banderas-computer-reac-cWjn.gif

I've tried other kernels on the nexus 4 and while they give better battery life it also slows stuff down. I don't want a laggy phone to get better battery.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I went about 18 hours with a little over 4 hours of screen time and still had 38% battery yesterday. Power was out and I didn't do much more than web browsing though so that probably helped. I've been really happy with the battery life in general though.

yyzjohn

Banned
I haven't experienced any lag in this phone with custom kerbel. Then again, I mainly play ingress.

Guess it depends on what the settings are but I think the whole point of those custom kernels is to underclock the CPU and use fewer cores more often, at a certain point it'll be noticeable in slowing apps down. I used faux kernel on Nexus 4 and I could tell it would perform slower and slower the more battery savings I tried for. I just gave up and went stock, battery was good enough for the day based on my usage.

elseanio

Does anyone know of a "blank" widget/icon I can put on the home screen for the purpose of leaving it empty? I usually have my home blank, and my favoured apps/widgets when I swipe right.

Zozz

Banned
Tried the Nexus 5 at Best Buy yesterday; when I first saw it, I thought it was a dummy unit. The screen looked so amazing, I was impressed.

asdad123

Has anyone been able to purchase this at best buy for $350 by price matching Google? I have nearly $200 if gift cards there and would rather purchase it like that.

On the other hand, can you use Google play cards toward purchasing the nexus off of Google? I can just buy those at best buy if it doesn't work.

mrpoopy

I hope google fixes the slow focus/camera lag/whatever it's called. I tried to take 3 quick shots. The first 2 were nice and quick but they were a blurry mess. The third was so slow I had already placed the phone down and it took a photo of the floor. It wasn't blurry though.

thespot84

Has anyone been able to purchase this at best buy for $350 by price matching Google? I have nearly $200 if gift cards there and would rather purchase it like that.

On the other hand, can you use Google play cards toward purchasing the nexus off of Google? I can just buy those at best buy if it doesn't work.

technically best buy's policy excludes 'non approved online retailers', so it's basically local retailers and amazon only. I don't think you'd have much luck tbh.

I can't imagine why you wouldn't be able to use play cards though.

rc213

Google play cards/credit cannot be used to buy hardware unless Google changed something.

Well, I finally got my replacement phone and it has the loose/rattling volume switch issue. Noticed it right away and it's pretty annoying cause I can hear it anytime I touch near the top 1/3 of the screen. First phone had 3 dead pixels, but otherwise it was perfect. Sigh, think I'm just going to send both back and maybe re-evaluate buying another in a month or two once the production issues are worked out. Disappointing because I really like the phone, but I don't want to keep ordering replacements and racking up charges on my credit card. Back to the 4S slums for now I guess.

Retail price of 16gb N5 announced in Australia.

$699

In a statemtn about the price, LG said google sells them on play store for no profit and even takes a loss in order to get people interested in the Nexus phones.

Deliverance

Neo Member
Well, I finally got my replacement phone and it has the loose/rattling volume switch issue. Noticed it right away and it's pretty annoying cause I can hear it anytime I touch near the top 1/3 of the screen. First phone had 3 dead pixels, but otherwise it was perfect. Sigh, think I'm just going to send both back and maybe re-evaluate buying another in a month or two once the production issues are worked out. Disappointing because I really like the phone, but I don't want to keep ordering replacements and racking up charges on my credit card. Back to the 4S slums for now I guess.

Now I'm scared, great. I always have terrible luck with electronics. My phone had 2 VERY noticeable dead pixels. I mean, they were gigantic; plus around 4 smaller ones. My replacement phone is supposed to be ready for delivery very soon, and now I'm sure the next one will be a mess. I know it.

By the way, is it a black or white one? I've heard the white models have less rattling issues. Don't know if it's true...

Cipherr

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=85068005&postcount=10343

While I love saying "I told you so," I wish you were right.

Yeah that shit is unreal. I would have never thought the battery life would be that awful from a mere 700 mAh. That either says Google is shit at optimizing for batteries, or LG is amazing.

Honestly at this point, we are on the 5th Nexus phone (IIRC) so I'm leaning towards both LG being good at batteries these days AND Google being absolute shit it simultaneously. Some inexcusable stuff. I like the phones design, timely updates and the launcher, but I'm not buying a phone without incredible battery life from this point on. I want to go to something that hits damn near 60 hours on GSM's test so I'm stuck waiting on a GPE device that manages that so I can get the best of both worlds.

I might be waiting a while.

I just ordered one of these to replace my Galaxy S II that was starting to crap out. Should be here tomorrow.

I'm not super up on the new hotness in mobile phones; the last time I paid attention to them was when I bought my Galaxy. I picked this one because of the price point and because I figured I couldn't go terribly wrong with a nexus device.

Did I do good?

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
I just ordered one of these to replace my Galaxy S II that was starting to crap out. Should be here tomorrow.

I'm not super up on the new hotness in mobile phones; the last time I paid attention to them was when I bought my Galaxy. I picked this one because of the price point and because I figured I couldn't go terribly wrong with a nexus device.

Did I do good?

Absolutely.

Doing some experimentation with battery life on the weekend, turned off LTE and left it on 3G mode (left wifi on, no bluetooth or nfc enabled) and the difference is MASSIVE.

LTE killed my battery in 15 hours with 3 hours screen time, but that also included 30 minutes of gps use, 2 hours of bluetooth music streaming and an hour of calls. The N4 would have given me similar results on 3G, so N5 battery is surely better optimised, given the full HD screen.

On wifi alone it's a beast, easy 5 hours of screen time.

Now I'm scared, great. I always have terrible luck with electronics. My phone had 2 VERY noticeable dead pixels. I mean, they were gigantic; plus around 4 smaller ones. My replacement phone is supposed to be ready for delivery very soon, and now I'm sure the next one will be a mess. I know it.

By the way, is it a black or white one? I've heard the white models have less rattling issues. Don't know if it's true...

Mine was a black/32. I think I'm just unlucky when it comes to google devices. I bought the N7 when it launched and also had to return that twice due to the screen lift problem. Hopefully your replacement will be okay.

Top Bottom