• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 5 |OT|

Alpende

I just ordered one of these to replace my Galaxy S II that was starting to crap out. Should be here tomorrow.

I'm not super up on the new hotness in mobile phones; the last time I paid attention to them was when I bought my Galaxy. I picked this one because of the price point and because I figured I couldn't go terribly wrong with a nexus device.

Did I do good?

Asking if you bought something good in a thread dedicated to that product...

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
My brother in law told me that I couldn't use an american Nexus 5 in Germany because of the bandwith. Is he right? Couldn't I just update them?

Using my US N5 in Germany just fine. But Germany LTE won't work on a US model. Not that Germany has a big LTE presence, anyway.

northead

I just ordered one of these to replace my Galaxy S II that was starting to crap out. Should be here tomorrow.

I'm not super up on the new hotness in mobile phones; the last time I paid attention to them was when I bought my Galaxy. I picked this one because of the price point and because I figured I couldn't go terribly wrong with a nexus device.

Did I do good?

Oh god. It's going to be such a massive upgrade.
I wish I could experience something like that.

So with the Google Voice "hack" for Hangouts I think I've got a petty good setup. Just had to add all the "Google Voice Redirector" numbers for people's SMS's as such in my contacts.

Really wish it was native though, since right now I have to still send a text from the GVoice app if I don't have their redirector number yet. Plus having additional numbers for people's contact entries is kinda lame.

I just want my texts to say they're coming from my GVoice number, and for all texts to sync across all instances of Hangouts. Going back to device-dependent SMS after years of Google Voice feels like going back to the stone age.

What is this hack that you speak of? Voice+?

SimleuqiR

What is this hack that you speak of? Voice+?

No.

If you set up Voice to forward all your calls and SMS to your cellphone #, Google then assigns each contact that text/calls you their own unique SMS/Call # within Google Voice. You can then add this # to your contacts' info using a custom label. I usually use "Gvoice reply" to identify these numbers within the contact's info.

yyzjohn

Banned

Did I do good?

LOL, coming from an S II your head might explode when you start using it.

No.

If you set up Voice to forward all your calls and SMS to your cellphone #, Google then assigns each contact that text/calls you their own unique SMS/Call # within Google Voice. You can then add this # to your contacts' info using a custom label. I usually use "Gvoice reply" to identify these numbers within the contact's info.

Gotcha, so this is only available if you give up the "data-only" aspect of Google Voice SMS (since you need it routed through your carrier SMS).

SimleuqiR

Gotcha, so this is only available if you give up the "data-only" aspect of Google Voice SMS (since you need it routed through your carrier SMS).

Yup. That's the downside to it.
In my case I just recently updated my plan with Tmobile to unlimited everything. So SMS is not an issue for me. Though I still use my Google voice for international calling, and as buffer to block spam calls, etc.

In my case I just recently updated my plan with Tmobile to unlimited everything. So SMS is not an issue for me. Though I still use my Google voice for international calling, and as buffer to block spam calls, etc.

I can probably play around with it, too, given that I am now on the T-Mobile $30 plan which has unlimited texts. Though I'm not sure I want to context-specific data to my Google Contacts.

thespot84

can you text people @ that custom number and it'll show up as coming from your gvoice number? how does that work?

Omzz

Anyone else having problems with voice mail? I'm able to receive them but a notification never pops up for me unless I restart my phone. Only then does it show up.

DXPett1

Does anyone else have issues setting custom ringtones?

On my replacement N5, I could use ES File Explorer to set a mp3 as the ringtone. Then it popped up in Google Music so I placed a .nomedia file in the folder to fix it and that set my ringtone to Unknown and now using the same method to select the mp3 as the ringtone doesn't work.

Why is this sooo hard. It used to be, put any music file in \sdcard\ringtones and the media scanner will find it and pop it in the list via media storage system app but now even that doesn't work.

I've since removed the .nomedia file but I still cannot select the file as my ringtone

EDIT: It seems like .nomedia file and the ringtone setting don't play nice. I moved the mp3s to another folder which hasn't had a .nomedia file ever setup and i could once again select it via ES File Explorer intent. Still won't prevent the songs coming up in Google Music argh

OK, so I've been a Nexus 5 owner for a couple of weeks now after upgrading from my ol' faithful Sony Ericsson K770i:

image_13739_largeimagefile.jpg

Besides the sheer plethora of stuff I can now do on the go (fuck you WAP), the biggest thing I've had to adjust to is realising that the days of charging my phone once a week are firmly behind me.

I was initially shocked by how quickly the battery would deplete after average use, but for the past few days it seems like it has levelled out. Before that I experimented with different settings, such as setting the screen brightness to a low but readable level; turning off NFC, OK Google voice recognition and Bluetooth; only turning on mobile data when I can't use Wi-Fi; and restricting background data when out and about.

Most recently I've managed to get 18 hours overall battery since the last full charge with 6 hours of screen time (what I would consider above average use for me personally). The charge before that I got 26 hours overall with 4 and a half hours of screen time, and before that I got 20 hours overall with 4 hours of screen time. This is with the battery going from 100% to 10%, at which point it typically takes 1 hour and 45 minutes to fully recharge again. Seems pretty decent, all things considered.

Does anyone else have issues setting custom ringtones?

On my replacement N5, I could use ES File Explorer to set a mp3 as the ringtone. Then it popped up in Google Music so I placed a .nomedia file in the folder to fix it and that set my ringtone to Unknown and now using the same method to select the mp3 as the ringtone doesn't work.

Why is this sooo hard. It used to be, put any music file in \sdcard\ringtones and the media scanner will find it and pop it in the list via media storage system app but now even that doesn't work.

I've since removed the .nomedia file but I still cannot select the file as my ringtone

EDIT: It seems like .nomedia file and the ringtone setting don't play nice. I moved the mp3s to another folder which hasn't had a .nomedia file ever setup and i could once again select it via ES File Explorer intent. Still won't prevent the songs coming up in Google Music argh

I just copy the ringtones to the ringtones folder via usb. Works fine and does not not show up in play music.

Tenacious-V

Thinks his PR is better than yours.
XDA Modded camera app (same app, changed settings). It really does seem like Google just shit the bed on the software side, or just half assed it. From what's being said, the camera hardware is really good.

Includes: faster focus, better burst, stereo sound in video, highest audio bitrate added, increased image/jpeg encode quality, 0 compression jpeg (basically raw images/best quality), increased contrast, 720p video from front camera, increased bitrate for front and rear video, and more.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYvoC770gWM
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2516061&highlight=camera

And for those of you still contemplating between the slim cases. A side by side comparison of the Spigen Ultra Fit, and Ringke Slim:

XDA RedBlueGreen: After using both of them for a little bit I have decided the Ringke is the better case.
Reasons: Slimmer, covers the phone more, does not have an air gap on the back (you can press the SPIGEN on the back and it will move)
I had to sand both of them down to get rid of the ruff parts. It no longer leaves marks/ scratches on the phone when taking the case off.

W8B1fwS.jpg

31k8PHv.jpg

gM1Xsy8.jpg

QUm7EUd.jpg

cwlWJVd.jpg

UApvYHe.jpg

I wish Better battery stats would work for kitkat. I'm noticing so many wakelocks today, battery down to 25% after 12 hours only, barely used screen for 2 hours.

What's the best app for sms? I wish I could use the stock app from JB for messaging, the hangouts integration seems to draining battery a lot.

Tenacious-V

I wish Better battery stats would work for kitkat. I'm noticing so many wakelocks today, battery down to 25% after 12 hours only, barely used screen for 2 hours.

What's the best app for sms? I wish I could use the stock app from JB for messaging, the hangouts integration seems to draining battery a lot.

Here you go. Updated xda BetterBatteryStats with KitKat support. Just sideload it.
Or download it from the forum. http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1179809

Qx6jqSl.png

Awesome, thanks mate.

Yeah, it's not going into deep sleep at all.

EDIT: Wifi seems to be the culprit, changed the setting from Always to Only when plugged in.

My N4 was set to Always but never had an issue like this with it.

PewPewK

Just placed my order for a White 32 GB Nexus 5. I'm actually not going to be returning to the U.S. until December 14th, so I will have to wait a month to play with it, but looking forward to getting it and toying around with it!

I'm moving from iOS for the first time. I've owned every iPhone from the original to the 5, but don't care for Apple too much recently and jailbreaks have become too few and far between. I'm looking forward to being able to root install a custom ROM right from the get-go. I'm looking forward to finally be able to tweak my phone to my content as I could when I had a jailbreak. All the info about ART has excited me, and I basically only use Google apps on my iPhone anyway...

So yeah, I'll be joinin' the Droid side for this generation! Hopefully it lives up to all I've heard it is.

Tenacious-V

Awesome, thanks mate.

Yeah, it's not going into deep sleep at all.

EDIT: Wifi seems to be the culprit, changed the setting from Always to Only when plugged in.

My N4 was set to Always but never had an issue like this with it.

Yeah I was having a similar problem where my phone would never deep sleep. I still can't pinpoint the exact cause, just a generic PowerManagerService.WakeLocks which can mean any number of things.

I know it has something to do with location requests under wifi and LTE, just not sure what specifically is causing it. Then I figured I never use Google Now, or any location based stuff anyway, unless I need directions or something. So I just turned off Google Now and I have location turned off unless I need it.

I lose .5% battery per hour now under sleep. It's nuts how much location sucks up juice.

Yeah it's true, google now isn't as useful ,especially to me In Australia where half the features don't work.

I'll turn off locations and see how much battery improvement there is.

terrier

I hope google fixes the slow focus/camera lag/whatever it's called. I tried to take 3 quick shots. The first 2 were nice and quick but they were a blurry mess. The third was so slow I had already placed the phone down and it took a photo of the floor. It wasn't blurry though.

I read today that Google is changing the camera app/api radically and wasn't ready for n5 launch. It is said to support Raw and allow burst mode too. Hope it is true, since the sensor seems to be a good one and the software being guilty for its average performance.

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2013...a-new-android-camera-api-supports-camera-raw/

nico1982

And for those of you still contemplating between the slim cases. A side by side comparison of the Spigen Ultra Fit, and Ringke Slim:
I like them both, maybe the Ringke a bit more. I fear that they expose the front top and bottom edges too much. Has anyone verified their effectivness yet? :p

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Just installed the latest Franco kernel R13. It contains many Wi-Fi patches from Google that haven't been added yet. Hopefully this improves my battery life.

Tenacious-V

Yeah it's true, google now isn't as useful ,especially to me In Australia where half the features don't work.

I'll turn off locations and see how much battery improvement there is.

Just try to make sure you have most or all of your apps set to not request/share location data if they don't switch off automatically when you turn off location. If you have location turned off, but your apps are still actively requesting it, it might cause wakelocks.

I like them both, maybe the Ringke a bit more. I fear that they expose the front top and bottom edges too much. Has anyone verified their effectivness yet? :p

That's just the nature of how hard slim cases go. It's more for scratch and light bump protection than full on drop protection. It's generally for people who want minimalism, or would go naked if possible. I have a white ringke slim coming in the mail this week hopefully. I would go caseless if it weren't for the camera protruding out, and if the black back wasn't such a fingerprint magnet. Love the feel, hate the maintenance. I go ocd trying to wipe it down like every 5 minutes lol.

You can't have all sides and corner protection like a standard TPU case because a hard case has less flex. If all sides/corners were covered, it would be physically impossible to bend the case to fit the phone in it, and if you somehow did get it in, you'd never get it out.

The closest to full coverage in a slim hard shell is this one.

I don't really like this one for several reasons.

If your hands are hot or sweaty, this thing will slip out of your hands and probably fly half way down the street. It's clear, smooth, glossy plastic. With that, it will also show case scratches really easily.

They added the lip on the top and bottom, but in doing so sacrificed corner and side protection (cuts in the corners are so you can bend the plastic enough to snap it in). It's more likely now that if you drop it on the top or sides, you might snap off an entire side of the case because you lose the strength by not having it curve around the corners.

Also, being a hard case with all 4 sides snapped in tightly, this case will be really hard to take off, and may even damage the phone trying to do so.

Blades64

Banned
So I read that Google is developing a new Camera API. If true, it would address one of the common issues I keep reading about the Nexus 5.

hitsugi

I read today that Google is changing the camera app/api radically and wasn't ready for n5 launch. It is said to support Raw and allow burst mode too. Hope it is true, since the sensor seems to be a good one and the software being guilty for its average performance.

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2013...a-new-android-camera-api-supports-camera-raw/

they need to be more open about this and hype it up some... because right now they're most likely what's holding the N5's camera back. way back.

Hex

Banned
Anyone think that there will be any sales on the N5 around the holiday?
I mean considering that the standard wait is about 3-4 weeks anyway.

lunchtoast

So I go on break today and notice my phone is dead. It's been on airplane mode all day just listening to podcasts. Usually at the end of the day it'll be at +%60 so it was pretty alarming. Anyways I go to my car to charge it and check the battery.

Google play services was using %68. My battery graph shows a steady decline over +7 hours. It also showed the awake stat on the whole time until it died. I really don't understand why it would suddenly do this today. I haven't installed anything recently, and it was in airplane mode. I turned location mode to battery saving (was on device mode) and turned off google now. Still weird it would happen today after having it for 2 weeks.

So I go on break today and notice my phone is dead. It's been on airplane mode all day just listening to podcasts. Usually at the end of the day it'll be at +%60 so it was pretty alarming. Anyways I go to my car to charge it and check the battery.

Google play services was using %68. My battery graph shows a steady decline over +7 hours. It also showed the awake stat on the whole time until it died. I really don't understand why it would suddenly do this today. I haven't installed anything recently, and it was in airplane mode. I turned location mode to battery saving (was on device mode) and turned off google now. Still weird it would happen today after having it for 2 weeks.
My dad was experiencing similar problems on his. He did a factory reset and now his battery is really good. Mine had always been good and I hope I don't run into the same issue.

lunchtoast

Just installed the latest Franco kernel R13. It contains many Wi-Fi patches from Google that haven't been added yet. Hopefully this improves my battery life.

Do you guys use the Franco app? He added a vibration adjust option. Default is at 63, I turned mine up to 90 and it's a lot better.

Also about the battery issue, it's because of the google services update. People have been complaining about it on the play store. You can deactivate it but then you have trouble using google apps. wtf google.

--Also had trouble installing apks. Nothing would happen when you clicked on the install button. Had to clear dalvik cache, just fyi.

--nope, only worked for a second.

hitsugi

Do you guys use the Franco app? He added a vibration adjust option. Default is at 63, I turned mine up to 90 and it's a lot better.

Also about the battery issue, it's because of the google services update. People have been complaining about it on the play store. You can deactivate it but then you have trouble using google apps. wtf google.

The keep-awake issue with Google Services is well-known and has been going on for quite some time, but seems to be completely random. It's really unfortunate.

As for vibrate, I'd love to just get rid of the double vibrate standard alert I have with hangouts......

Shanks

Anybody know how to turn off the vibrate when I get certain notifications? I have it off for when someone calls or texts me but it still vibrates when I get a hangout or Facebook update. I basically just want it on for keyboard typing. That's it.

Tenacious-V

Anybody know how to turn off the vibrate when I get certain notifications? I have it off for when someone calls or texts me but it still vibrates when I get a hangout or Facebook update. I basically just want it on for keyboard typing. That's it.

You'll have to turn it off manually in each app.

Hangouts > Settings > SMS > Uncheck Vibrate

Facebook > App Settings > Uncheck Vibrate on incoming notifications

Top Bottom