• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 5 |OT|

Tenacious-V

Thinks his PR is better than yours.
What about incoming hangout messages? I'm sure the option is hidden away somewhere.

Yeah it's there, not under sms though.

Hangouts > Settings > Your email > Hangouts Notifications > Uncheck Vibrate

The options are there for video notifications as well.

Got my replacement N5 yesterday!

I don't see any dead pixels on this one, but just for my own sanity, I'm not going to bother running any tests. Even if they're there, I'm happier not knowing it.

SimleuqiR

Just bought the wireless charger. Should be good. This way I can leave the 7 charging during the day on my entertainment stand.

I hope the charger last me a few Nexus generations.

H7JzxfpCvKkcm36Dgt03Vv8f4jaXRyfMOFb8krEWdKZcL4EChn1pXkESXFa9O_bt8AU=h800-rw

Knight77

Just installed the latest Franco kernel R13. It contains many Wi-Fi patches from Google that haven't been added yet. Hopefully this improves my battery life.

So what's the situation now on Kernels and Roms? But mainly the first one. Is Franco Kernel stable? Any problem? I was told that he made some magic on the external speaker and is louder, is it true?

No Love

Banned
So what's the situation now on Kernels and Roms? But mainly the first one. Is Franco Kernel stable? Any problem? I was told that he made some magic on the external speaker and is louder, is it true?

I'm using Franco Kernel R14. Very stable, and he did a nice image quality/color improvement on the screen. Battery life is amazing too. Phone still feels like a rocketship, maybe even faster.

Using Cataclysm ROM BTW.

Tenacious-V

Damn, so that's what Google Now and Location detection are worth on battery. I don't use either unless I need directions so I turned them both off. This is the result, and I'm not even trying to conserve battery.

Gain of 9+ hours, 4% drain overnight, about 5 hours music playback, half an hour of PvZ2, watching youtube, facebook, browsing etc. Sync is still enabled for everything except auto upload pictures. Mix of Wifi and LTE. 20% brightness.

I'm pretty sure I can easily hit 7 hours of screen time if it's normal use (not tons of games). All just from turning off Google Now and Location.

pbQza11.jpg

gmVdusb.jpg

QsFO3OZ.jpg

Damn, so that's what Google Now and Location detection are worth on battery. I don't use either unless I need directions so I turned them both off. This is the result, and I'm not even trying to conserve battery.

Gain of 9+ hours, 4% drain overnight, about 5 hours music playback, half an hour of PvZ2, watching youtube, facebook, browsing etc. Sync is still enabled for everything except auto upload pictures. Mix of Wifi and LTE. 20% brightness.

I'm pretty sure I can easily hit 7 hours of screen time if it's normal use (not tons of games). All just from turning off Google Now and Location.
Google Play Services has just been funky the last few days or so. It's been keeping many devices awake for long periods of time for some strange reason. When I checked my phone before charging last night, Google Play Services had a stay awake time of 13 hours. There's an article on Android Police about it.

SimleuqiR

Google Play Services has just been funky the last few days or so. It's been keeping many devices awake for long periods of time for some strange reason. When I checked my phone before charging last night, Google Play Services had a stay awake time of 13 hours. There's an article on Android Police about it.

Don't most up to date apps go through the Play Service for hooks to APIs and such? I'm not a developer, so my knowledge of this could be way off. Some apps could be acting weird and it's not necessarily a play service issue.

I know the first two or so days I got the 5, battery life was not that great...until BBM got a update to resolve battery drain issues and then battery life got pretty go (at least much better than my Nexus 4).

No Love

Banned

Excellent. I knew I turned them off for a good reason. That combined with Franco Kernel and some other tweaks should have my Nexus 5 lasting for daysss.

Tenacious-V

Yeah I was having similar problems as well, phone would sleep for maybe an hour overnight, and constantly have wakelocks. It would drain about 30-40% battery overnight. It was showing as Google Play Services, Android OS, or in BBS as a generic Wakelock. I narrowed it down to something to do with mobile data/wifi and location requests.

I figured I don't use them anyway unless necessary, so I turned them both off, and my battery skyrocketed.

I might turn them back on once Google sort themselves out, but it's no loss for me.

Excellent. I knew I turned them off for a good reason. That combined with Franco Kernel and some other tweaks should have my Nexus 5 lasting for daysss.

Yeah no kidding. I'm probably going to use Franco Kernel eventually. I'll just let them iron out the kinks for a few months first. I'll also install the modded camera from xda as well when it's fine tuned. Then the Nexus 5 should be the perfect phone.

discohiro

Received the 32Gb white Nexus 5 today! Ordered it on November 16th. Loving everything about this phone! Camera issues don't feel like a problem for me (coming from a 3 year old T-Mobile myTouch 4G). It has one dead pixel in the center but it's hardly noticeable.

That's true, Ingress on my phone keeps the GPS on even after force closing the app!

Only a reboot fixes the issue.

Google needs to look into this asap.

adamYUKI

Call T-Mobile's customer service and tell them to disable your T-Mo voicemail. Google Voice will then work fine.

Hi -- I use T-Mobile's $30 unlimited plan and just asked them to disable my voicemail. Now what? I just set up via the Google Voice app, but what number should I enter into the call forwarding fields? Also, is the voicemail number my Google number? I'm so confused. Thanks in advance for clarifying!

Ripclawe

Banned
got my phone and on the walmart $30 dollar plan. I am getting horrible LTE speeds though, is there anything I have to set or reset on the phone to refine it?

also any page with how to conserve battery life or which apps I can disable would be a plus.

Hydrargyrus

WTF is going on with the alarm??

My phone uses about less than 1% (more .5%) per hour of the battery in sleep mode, but since a couple of weeks, when I set the alarm, it goes from this 0.5% in one hour, to more than 1%.

This night I've checked the battery before going to sleep and it was at 90%, and this morning, after 8 hours, it was at 78%. 12% in 8 hours without touching it!!

The strangest thing is that during the day, when I set off the alarm, the battery lasts more.

I don't know what it's happening...

Veins

Unconfirmed Member
WTF is going on with the alarm??

My phone uses about less than 1% (more .5%) per hour of the battery in sleep mode, but since a couple of weeks, when I set the alarm, it goes from this 0.5% in one hour, to more than 1%.

This night I've checked the battery before going to sleep and it was at 90%, and this morning, after 8 hours, it was at 78%. 12% in 8 hours without touching it!!

The strangest thing is that during the day, when I set off the alarm, the battery lasts more.

I don't know what it's happening...
Not sure if you are trolling or not...

Hydrargyrus

Not sure if you are trolling or not...

Not trolling.

I'm a little obsessed with the battery life. I check it more than the whatsapp XD

But the battery drain by the alarm is real. Well, my girlfriend also have a N5 and we have made the test tonight. I've lost 12% and her has lost only 4%...

zedge

Did the launcher just get an update? Notice I can now swipe right to an empty screen. And the search bar now dissapears when you swipe left to Google now..don't recall it doing that before.

GatorBait

So with the Nexus wireless charger finally being released, I'm looking into buying a few. Ideally I'd like a wireless charger in my room, at my home office desk, and at my work office desk. My question is: how competitive is the $50 price tag of the Nexus branded charger to other high-quality brands? Ideally I'd like at least one Nexus charger because I'd a sucker for that Nexus goodness, but I don't think I want to drop $150 on three of them if I can get a couple cheaper ones.

Hi -- I use T-Mobile's $30 unlimited plan and just asked them to disable my voicemail. Now what? I just set up via the Google Voice app, but what number should I enter into the call forwarding fields? Also, is the voicemail number my Google number? I'm so confused. Thanks in advance for clarifying!

You can set up Google Voice to be your voicemail through the settings on the desktop webpage for Google Voice. After you have that set up, it will guide you on how to set it up on your phone. Problem is, you need to have this thing called "conditional call forwarding" for Google Voice to take over as your voicemail when dialing your actual phone number. T-mobile's plan may not come with that.

Linkhero1

Anyone know if these cases are any good?

I've been holding off getting a case and screen protectors but I should probably buy some now. Any recommendations? I'm looking for something reasonably priced that does the job.

Hex

Banned
Side question, since I am still tossing around...the Google Play version of the Galaxy 4 has KitKat, but none of the Samsung software that makes the Galaxy the Galaxy right?

Essentially whichever phone I pick I am putting on Metro PCS, which has a Galaxy 4 but they load their phones up with so much garbage.

I am still torn between the Nexus 5, the Galaxy, or waiting on the Xperia Z1.
My gut says get the Nexus since it is the cheapest and still a good phone and just wait for the next wave of Galaxy.

For comparison I am currently using an LG Motion 4g

No Love

Banned
With Franco's R14 kernel, Cataclysm mod, and some other tweaks, my battery life has been pretty good. I'm at 41% with 1 day, 10 hours of being on, with 2 hrs of screen on time.

For my needs, that is more than adequate. I'm sure as time goes on and the Franco kernel gets refined and more battery saving optimizations are made, it'll get even better.

adamYUKI

You can set up Google Voice to be your voicemail through the settings on the desktop webpage for Google Voice. After you have that set up, it will guide you on how to set it up on your phone. Problem is, you need to have this thing called "conditional call forwarding" for Google Voice to take over as your voicemail when dialing your actual phone number. T-mobile's plan may not come with that.

Thanks for the reply! I thought that T-Mobile's pre-paid plans don't allow conditional call forwarding as well, but a fellow poster in this thread (Bertand Cooper?) mentioned that I have to disable T-Mo. voicemail on my account. Apparently, this allows Google Voice to then be set up.

I've disabled my T-Mo voicemail and asked them to set up the conditional call forwarding to my Google Voice number. The number is now populated in those fields, but I wonder whether my Google Voice number also functions as my new Google voicemail number...?

Yeah. I'm feeling a bit iffy about it. I'm not sure what case to get. I don't want something that's bulgy.

I finally got my Nexus 5 in yesterday! It's so buttery smooth compared to my old E4GT! For a case, I bought the diztronic tpu case (http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00FZ14E3S/?tag=neogaf0e-20) and it's not bulky at all, but I feel that the nexus is fairly well protected in it. Also, no sharp edges like the slim cases, so I'm not worried about scratching the phone while placing it in the case.

So I've rooted my phone and am looking for a good rom for it. What do you guys recommend? I came from CM10.1 on the E4GT and I love the amount of customization I could do with it, but didn't like the battery life and finicky GPS that came with it. Should I try CM11?

Thanks in advance!

Top Bottom