• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 5 |OT|

hitsugi

Anyone use Skipsoft Android Toolkit? I've been using it since Galaxy Nexus.

Its been updated for Nexus 5 and now supports multiple devices. Installs everything you need

lIlX5fl.png

can confirm - this thing is godlike.

Remyzero

I finally got my Nexus 5 in yesterday! It's so buttery smooth compared to my old E4GT! For a case, I bought the diztronic tpu case (http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00FZ14E3S/?tag=neogaf0e-20) and it's not bulky at all, but I feel that the nexus is fairly well protected in it. Also, no sharp edges like the slim cases, so I'm not worried about scratching the phone while placing it in the case.

So I've rooted my phone and am looking for a good rom for it. What do you guys recommend? I came from CM10.1 on the E4GT and I love the amount of customization I could do with it, but didn't like the battery life and finicky GPS that came with it. Should I try CM11?

Thanks in advance!
I'm thinking about flashing to cataclysm because they have a stable ROM out. My friend has it and you can make the icons on the bottom smaller so it looks like the screen has more room, I thought that was pretty neat.

I believe touch control mod works on nexus 5 now.

No Love

Banned
With Franco's R14 kernel, Cataclysm mod, and some other tweaks, my battery life has been pretty good. I'm at 41% with 1 day, 10 hours of being on, with 2 hrs of screen on time.

For my needs, that is more than adequate. I'm sure as time goes on and the Franco kernel gets refined and more battery saving optimizations are made, it'll get even better.

Ok, now at 2 days 2 hours of battery time, with 3 hours of screen on time. Battery percentage left: 15%.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I get better battery with the N5 when compared to my N4. But not worth writing home about.

Got the Nexus on Wednesday. Love it so far. Beautiful thing.

Now I just need to focus on reviving my Nexus 4 so I can sell it. Or make Googy replace it.

jokkir

So does anyone have a Nexus 5 with a unlocked bootloader, have a custom recovery installed and is confident about flashing stuff to their phone?

If so, anyone want to try this out:
http://androidprism.wordpress.com/2...-devices-on-android-4-4-with-a-qualcomm-chip/

And give back feedback on results (benchmark and real world) from a before/after patch. You just need to be on Dalvik and not ART. Also, NANDroid backup your ROM using your custom recovery.

I'll update the article when I have results from Nexus 5 users but the warning still stands in that article.

Hex

Banned
Ok, need some help here.
I was ready to pull the trigger and went to Metro PCS and they said that they will only activate phones that are At&T or TMobile.
It does not matter if they are unlocked and GSM.
Who does everyone else use?

What's with Verizon do they have special bands that nobody else in the world uses? I'm in Canada and as far as I know the Nexus 5 works on any carrier so it supports quite a few radios.
Verizon is a CDMA network whereas the other carriers use SIM cards. Sprint is also CDMA but they are much more open to unlocked and unsupported devices.

Not sure if LTE changes that, though. Plus Verizon are just dicks and forces installations of carrier bloatware, which is not something Nexus stands for. I think they actively block unsupported devices.

Nexus not being on Verizon is 100% on Verizon.

Verizon is a CDMA network whereas the other carriers use SIM cards. Sprint is also CDMA but they are much more open to unlocked and unsupported devices.

Not sure if LTE changes that, though. Plus Verizon are just dicks and forces installations of carrier bloatware, which is not something Nexus stands for. I think they actively block unsupported devices.

Nexus not being on Verizon is 100% on Verizon.

when they go pure VoLTE that should change, but they'll get there kicking and screaming.

Emwitus

Ok, need some help here.
I was ready to pull the trigger and went to Metro PCS and they said that they will only activate phones that are At&T or TMobile.
It does not matter if they are unlocked and GSM.
Who does everyone else use?
What? I'm using nexus 4 on metropcs? Did you tell them it was unlocked? Maybe they assumed you bought it from another carrier? You probably spoke with a person who didn't know any better. All they do is give you a sim card and register the phone. I also got my mom an unlocked iPhone 5 and put her on metropcs recently with no hussle .
Or maybe it's for new activations only? Hmm

Hex

Banned
What? I'm using nexus 4 on metropcs? Did you tell them it was unlocked? Maybe they assumed you bought it from another carrier? You probably spoke with a person who didn't know any better. All they do is give you a sim card and register the phone. I also got my mom an unlocked iPhone 5 and put her on metropcs recently with no hussle .
Or maybe it's for new activations only? Hmm

Did you get your Nexus from the play store or from somewhere else or maybe it is because the 4 shows up on that site they use but the 5 doesn't yet.
I will try someone different at a different shop.

Got my rma yesterday and this new batch seems to have better buttons and a brighter and warmer screen.

Lol so my friend who also got a nexus 5 was unplugging his phone from the charger and the whole micro USB power port came out with it.

When he called Google support, the first thing the guy said to try was to factory refresh the phone lmao. Friend was like "how the hell does a factory refresh fix my power port?" Rep just responded with "oh". They're having him ship back the phone before they will replace it. Good thing he didn't sell his 5s yet lol

mturco

Great review with great pics!

Thanks!

Speaking of which I put my Nexus 5 on the wireless charger last night and woke up this morning and it was at 44% and wasn't charging. I know I heard the charging sound when I put it on last night so I'm not sure what happened. Hope that was just a fluke.

RGM79

Thanks!

Speaking of which I put my Nexus 5 on the wireless charger last night and woke up this morning and it was at 44% and wasn't charging. I know I heard the charging sound when I put it on last night so I'm not sure what happened. Hope that was just a fluke.
Maybe it fell out of charging position. Depends on what wireless charger you have, but cheaper ones can get fussy with what position the phone is in, while others have slightly longer range and aren't as picky.

mturco

Maybe it fell out of charging position. Depends on what wireless charger you have, but cheaper ones can get fussy with what position the phone is in, while others have slightly longer range and aren't as picky.

I've got the official Nexus wireless charger and it has a pretty strong magnet to keep the phone in place. I don't think it moved at all. Very weird.

RGM79

What's the point of having a wireless charger if it's not portable? Or are they portable?
Less wear and tear on the USB port. Lots of smartphones I've seen eventually get loose or broken USB connections because of repeated plugging/unplugging after a couple months to a few years.

thespot84

Less wear and tear on the USB port. Lots of smartphones I've seen eventually get loose or broken USB connections because of repeated plugging/unplugging after a couple months to a few years.

I just had to replace the flex cable in my gnex. Such a pain the ass and the parts take forever to ship. I was on a backup phone for 2 weeks. I'm leaning towards a moto x but the wireless chargings is pulling me back to the n5. (first world problems)

Tenacious-V

Thinks his PR is better than yours.
So some people finally did a side by side of ART vs Dalvik and you can see the difference. It isn't massive because the Nexus 5 is a beast already, but you can clearly see the difference in speed, especially in Photoshop.

Anyone who updated their older devices (Nexus 4, Nexus 7, etc) to KitKat should give ART a go and let us know the results. Kitkat + ART should give older devices a nice boost in speed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F8kFDl7akI0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KNuTpOjTEPI

Knight77

So some people finally did a side by side of ART vs Dalvik and you can see the difference. It isn't massive because the Nexus 5 is a beast already, but you can clearly see the difference in speed, especially in Photoshop.

Anyone who updated their older devices (Nexus 4, Nexus 7, etc) to KitKat should give ART a go and let us know the results. Kitkat + ART should give older devices a nice boost in speed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F8kFDl7akI0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KNuTpOjTEPI

Yep but looks like Dalvik with the MotoX mod kicks Art ass big time, like ART speed x 2...

verbum

I dropped my N5 on a wood floor from about 3.5 feet up. It landed flat on the screen and got cracked horizontally across the screen. The screen protector and Spigen Ultra slim case were on it. No rocks or hard objects in the area.
Read in Google forums that several people had the same thing happen. Others said their 5's landed on an edge and did not break.
It may be a weakness of the screen/digitizer and I plan to get a case that protects the screen more when the phone comes back.
The repair costs $146-150+ shipping in the US and $230 in Canada from LG repair centers. The screen and digitizer are fused together.
One fellow bought the screen/digitizer part off E-bay for $200 and fixed it at home.
I have my N4 to tide me over.
Takes about 17-20 days to contact LG, send it, get an estimate, authorize the repair, and get it back after the repair.

Wireless charger;
I've been using the Koolpad Qi wireless charger the past month with my N5 and N4. It has worked very well. The phones had slim cases on them and charged without problems. The phone does not have to be straight, I can lay the N5 at a 90 degree angle across the charger and it charges.
Not bad for $35.
The charger beeps when it starts charging and it doesn't beep again or you can buy a silent version.
I recommend it.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DQCUVPI/ref=oh_details_o02_s01_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

No Love

Banned
Yep but looks like Dalvik with the MotoX mod kicks Art ass big time, like ART speed x 2...

Just thought I'd expound on what Knight is talking about. He's referring to the 4.4 Dalvik library optimizations that someone made here for the Nexus 5:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2537299

I just installed it a bit ago and HOLY FUCK. The Nexus 5 was already the fastest phone I've ever used but now it's lightspeed quick. This is a MUST-HAVE mod IMO and is the biggest speed boost you can do. It literally makes the phone feel 2x faster. Fucking awesome.

Just thought I'd expound on what Knight is talking about. He's referring to the 4.4 Dalvik library optimizations that someone made here for the Nexus 5:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2537299

I just installed it a bit ago and HOLY FUCK. The Nexus 5 was already the fastest phone I've ever used but now it's lightspeed quick. This is a MUST-HAVE mod IMO and is the biggest speed boost you can do. It literally makes the phone feel 2x faster. Fucking awesome.

Why not an official release/patch from google for this?

Top Bottom