• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 5 |OT|

What's reception like for you guys? I'm never really able to get above 100 dBm anywhere and I even just lose service in places my old iPhone never did. Thinking I maybe got another defective unit?

_RT_

So I'll start reading through the thread now, but I'm looking for opinions from those that are using this on Sprint.
I've read some "interesting" stories about the activation and the use.

I shattered my GS3 on Friday after trying to repair it (iPhone 4s is easier for those keeping score) lol.

My wife is letting me use her old 4s now that she upgraded to the 5s.
I'm not a huge fan of apple phones and would love to get back to android. Hence the consideration of the Nexus 5.

So... yeah. I'd have to pay full price.
I'm considering the 32gb.
I'm afraid about the lack of memory card space.
Battery life - not that concerned.

Thoughts from people that are using this? More thoughts from those on the Sprint network?

No Love

Banned
Why not an official release/patch from google for this?

http://www.androidbeat.com/2013/11/optimized-dalvik-libraries-improve-nexus-benchmark-scores/

Android SoC vendors like Qualcomm have constantly used some proprietary tweaks to speed up Dalvik runtime on their SoCs, which have helped increase scores in benchmarks dramatically. However, since these optimizations are proprietary (closed source), they are not included in the Nexus devices and cannot be used by developers in custom ROMs, because of variations of OEM skins from stock Android. The lack of Dalvik optimizations is also the key reason why the Nexus devices always scored lower in benchmarks compared to offerings from other OEMs.

However, thanks to the Android 4.4 update for the Moto X, Nexus owners can now also enjoy the goodness of these closed source Dalvik optimizations. A senior XDA member, kszaq, has extracted the Qualcomm-optimized Dalvik libraries from the Moto X KitKat update, and repacked it into a CWM flashable ZIP file for Nexus devices.

Initial reports show that post the installation of the optimized Dalvik libraries, the benchmark scores of the Nexus 4, Nexus 5 and the Nexus 7 jumps up by a pretty huge margin. The improvements in day to day usage, at least on my Nexus 5, are tough to say. The optimized Dalvik libraries should work on any rooted Android device, that is powered by Qualcomm’s Krait processor. Head over to this XDA thread for the download link.

It feels faster than ART for me. Also benchmarks higher. It's blazing fast.

It'd be nice to do back to back testing vs ART and get benchmarks. I always worry about the placebo effect. But things do seem to open faster on a cold boot with nothing in RAM.

Especially the gallery, which always has somewhat of a delay. It just opens right up with all the pics already loaded.

Tenacious-V

Thinks his PR is better than yours.
If I popped that MotoX/Dalvik library on my Nexus 5 would it interfere with receiving official Android updates to the OS?

I've never had a device that had decent updates so I've always just used custom roms on my old phone and never got updates from Google.

No Love

Banned
If I popped that MotoX/Dalvik library on my Nexus 5 would it interfere with receiving official Android updates to the OS?

I've never had a device that had decent updates so I've always just used custom roms on my old phone and never got updates from Google.

You'll still get them.

Hydrargyrus

Is anyone having problems with the Playstation App?

Because since the release I've been trying to download it and always says that is not currently available for my model, but I've read some people with the Nexus 5 that have been able to download it without any problems.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Hopefully getting mine this week. The phone was supposed to go on sale here in Sweden last week, but apparently the shipments from LG were delayed a week. Google not selling devices on Play here makes shit so much more annoying. And more expensive.

I own a slim too, very nice, only complain is that some edges are a bit too sharp , especially the ones by the usb port

Yeah the bottom edges are a bit sharp, but I smoothed them out by rubbing them on the kitchen top. :)

Is anyone having problems with the Playstation App?

Because since the release I've been trying to download it and always says that is not currently available for my model, but I've read some people with the Nexus 5 that have been able to download it without any problems.

No issues in downloading and using it. Try to send it to your phone via play store on a browser.

Hydrargyrus

Then download the .apk from somewhere else. What country are you in, maybe the app is region specific?

I'm in Spain.

Maybe is not still updated in the spanish google play store... :S

How could I download .apk for another site?, I have the phjone's original firmware

Veins

Unconfirmed Member
I'm in Spain.

How could I download .apk for another site?, I have the phjone's original firmware
I believe the app is region specific, for example in Australia, the app says it is not available in my country, I suspect since the PS4 is not out yet here for another few days. I imagine it is the same for the rest of Europe (Australia is classed as Europe in Sony terms).

Deliverance

Neo Member
I'm in Spain.

Hm, my replacement phone has arrived today. I'm from Spain too, so if you want I can try to download it to see if it's normal. As soon as I get home I'll give it a try.

terrier

i am in spain and can download it on my N5. Already have it on my note

WvAM6Hv.jpg

So I'll start reading through the thread now, but I'm looking for opinions from those that are using this on Sprint.
I've read some "interesting" stories about the activation and the use.

I shattered my GS3 on Friday after trying to repair it (iPhone 4s is easier for those keeping score) lol.

My wife is letting me use her old 4s now that she upgraded to the 5s.
I'm not a huge fan of apple phones and would love to get back to android. Hence the consideration of the Nexus 5.

So... yeah. I'd have to pay full price.
I'm considering the 32gb.
I'm afraid about the lack of memory card space.
Battery life - not that concerned.

Thoughts from people that are using this? More thoughts from those on the Sprint network?

I'm on sprint and I just got my N5 last week. My last phone was an E4GT and the N5 completely destroys the E4GT on every criteria I can think of.

I was also concerned about not being able to use an external SD card, but I just place everything in the cloud anyway, so it's not such a big deal.

Also, battery life is pretty awesome compared to the E4GT. I was barely getting eight hours from the E4GT, but my N5 has been running for 18 hours with 45% battery left. I made a few calls. have been texting fairly frequently and used chrome on wifi for about 35 minutes.

PM me if you have any specific questions and I'll be happy to answer them.

I believe the app is region specific, for example in Australia, the app says it is not available in my country, I suspect since the PS4 is not out yet here for another few days. I imagine it is the same for the rest of Europe (Australia is classed as Europe in Sony terms).

I'm in Australia and was able to download and install the app the day it came out. Works great with my PS4.

Remyzero

http://www.androidbeat.com/2013/11/optimized-dalvik-libraries-improve-nexus-benchmark-scores/

It feels faster than ART for me. Also benchmarks higher. It's blazing fast.

It'd be nice to do back to back testing vs ART and get benchmarks. I always worry about the placebo effect. But things do seem to open faster on a cold boot with nothing in RAM.

Especially the gallery, which always has somewhat of a delay. It just opens right up with all the pics already loaded.

Yeah the speed is definitely noticeable when swiping through screens and loading apps. I just flashed this as of this morning so I will report back with the battery drain tonight.

Hydrargyrus

Hi again!!

I've installed the PlayStation app through .apk way... It works fine! Thanks!

But when I look to the google play store, the app is still currently unavailable (and obviously uninstalled), so won't I receive the updates?

GatorBait

Anyone know if the official Nexus wireless charger will work with a Nexus 7 with a case on it?

Thanks for the reply! I thought that T-Mobile's pre-paid plans don't allow conditional call forwarding as well, but a fellow poster in this thread (Bertand Cooper?) mentioned that I have to disable T-Mo. voicemail on my account. Apparently, this allows Google Voice to then be set up.

I've disabled my T-Mo voicemail and asked them to set up the conditional call forwarding to my Google Voice number. The number is now populated in those fields, but I wonder whether my Google Voice number also functions as my new Google voicemail number...?

No problem. If you have the Google Voice voicemail set up correctly to be your only cell phone voicemail, you'll end up with your calls going to the GVoice voicemail regardless of if they call your regular cell phone number or your Google Voice number.

mturco

Anyone know if the official Nexus wireless charger will work with a Nexus 7 with a case on it?

I don't have a case, but I was able to charge it through my leather sleeve with the official charger. It can be tricky to find the charging coils though since the magnet is obviously weaker going through something. Hope that helps.

CronoShot

So I accidentally dismissed the little weather notification in Google Now. How the heck do I get it back? My preferences still say that I want weather updates for my location, but it won't come back when I refresh.

Hi guys, just got my Nexus today.

I used CF-AutoRoot to unlock the bootloader and root it, but how can I tell if it was unlocked/rooted properly? I had into some hiccups in the driver installation.

Tenacious-V

Thinks his PR is better than yours.
Hi guys, just got my Nexus today.

I used CF-AutoRoot to unlock the bootloader and root it, but how can I tell if it was unlocked/rooted properly? I had into some hiccups in the driver installation.

If you boot/reboot the phone and see a little unlocked lock at the bottom of the screen when it says Google you're good to go.

You can also check your apps to see if you have super user installed.

Remyzero

Despite the increased speed, I feel like my battery drains more than usual on screen time. I keep all my location services on and also google reporting history. I was getting better results before the motoX dalvik flash.

Knight77

Despite the increased speed, I feel like my battery drains more than usual on screen time. I keep all my location services on and also google reporting history. I was getting better results before the motoX dalvik flash.

I don't know if it is because of the MotoX patch or the Kernel I installed (Franco) but it drains a lot the battery and makes the phone quite hot....

I also tried the moto x patch, and it seems to drain the battery a little bit more, but I've had it for less than a day, so I'll wait to see if that's completely correct after a full charge.

Just got the confirmation that my phone has been shipped. I'm so excited! I've been using my old Blackberry since my Galaxy SII was broken. You have no idea what it's like to use a blackberry curve in 2013.

If anyone is still sitting on the fence over the relatively high price of the official Nexus charger, I can recommend the GooseWhite wireless QI charger at approximately 25% of the cost.

It's low profile, the dimensions are almost exactly that of the Nexus 5, it seems to charge no matter how I throw my phone down on it (at various angles, placement etc) and it charges through my Ringke slim case. It's pretty fun to play with - I managed to lift it entirely off the pad and it still continued charging through the air, which was a little weird but very cool.

This is perhaps the clearest picture of it I can find online (although it doesn't show the charging light), next to an S4 for a size comparison...

wpid-DSC_0020.jpg

Just upgraded from Lumia 920 to Nexus 5. Wow, what a huge improvement.

- Better UI
- Better (3rd party) music player
- Better camera
- Better map
- Better internet browser
- Better apps selection
etc

I didn't realize how much I miss Android.

yyzjohn

Banned
Just upgraded from Lumia 920 to Nexus 5. Wow, what a huge improvement.

- Better UI
- Better (3rd party) music player
- Better camera
- Better map
- Better internet browser
- Better apps selection
etc

I didn't realize how much I miss Android.

The Nexus 5 has a better camera? Geez, I don't know what that Lumia is packing, but that's not too impressive if true. Biggest disappointment of the Nexus 5 is the camera and the focusing problems to be precise.

The Nexus 5 has a better camera? Geez, I don't know what that Lumia is packing, but that's not too impressive if true. Biggest disappointment of the Nexus 5 is the camera and the focusing problems to be precise.

Yeah, 920 camera is just really bad. I don't why it got so much praise when it released. Everything looks so blurry and soft. Shutter speed is too slow to capture any movement. At least Nexus can take sharp image.

CronoShot

This page of this thread is triggering Chrome's auto sign in option. Dunno if it's someone's avatar or what.
Was wondering what that was.

Anyway, got the official bumper case in today. Size is great, but good lord the buttons are shitty. Hard to press and has no real feedback.

Anyone who has one know if it gets better with use?

Top Bottom